2006 Mazda MAZDA5

8.0

Based on 253 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Frustrating

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"Purchased a used '06 and the tires are worthless. I looked for all weather tires but the size is a sport size which makes the tires horribly expensive or worthless. I wouldn't have bought this crossover if I had know it wouldn't go anywhere in the snow. I wouldn't recommend this vehicle for cold weather situations. The seats are uncomfortable after ten minutes. The trunk space is worthless. The only way to bring groceries home is to put down the two backseats. Although when you do your items can fall between the two middle seats. The low gas light comes on a little after the quarter tank mark which is very annoying. As I write it has an engine light warning and I have to take it into the dealer. The sliding doors are nice and the high seats for putting children in and out save my back. The glove compartment is huge and the storage under the middle seats is nice."

Perfect 2nd Car

By on Monday, April 07, 2008

"We just leased the Mazda 5 and love it. We were looking for a reliable 2nd car that got better gas mileage and could seat around 6 people. I searched the internet for this type of vehicle, and only found mini vans with bad gas mileage and way too expensive. We got a Grand Tourning with Leather, it fits my wife like a glove and love the sliding doors. We drive this car dailey too and from work around 70 miles dailey, perfect for our family."

Great value

By on Sunday, December 23, 2007

"Great vehicle for the money. Have had it for over 2 years and still love it. There are a few improvements needed, like arm rest on front passenger seat, needs air conditioning vents in 2nd row and driver cannot turn on lights in back of van must be done by passenger manually."

Great Value

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

"Great car for the money. It costs less than $20k and seats 6, you can't beat that. Has a lot of space when seats 4. No one should look for performance from a VAN, so I am surprised w/ many reviews. It is not under-powered, it is right-powered to get decent mpg."

cutest little car ever

By on Monday, September 24, 2007

"this car has great versitility alot of characteristics of the early smaller Honda Odessy great gas mileage dark interior hot best with lighter seat covers neat fold down seats sliding side doors work well in tight parking very zippy and good stopping leg room a tad short in drivers seat"

Amazing Versatility

By on Thursday, September 13, 2007

"This car feels as if it was custom designed for my variety of needs. First of all, in family mode, there is room for six and the middle row of seats are adjustable forward and back as well as recline. As an interior designer and when in design mode I can put all sorts of furniture items into the car by configuring the seats differently. When I go into music gig mode my keyboard will fit across the middle row between the doors by flipping the seat bottoms forward with seat backs still upright. When in its case it is virtually invisible to someone looking into the car. It looks like the seat cushion streches across the car. I find the driver seat to be extremely comfortable and when I raise the seat up I can see out better and the car has a quieter ride. I switched from a CRV and the size of this car felt similar to my older CRV. I didn't like the way the new CRV had bulked up. Mine has a stick and it is a blast to drive. When the air is off and I am in the car by myself, it is very quick and the engine sounds great reving up. The styling is great and the wheels are 17" alloys. Amazing package for under 20K."

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"great utiity, plenty of room, drives great, but could get better gas mileage"

Great car for the money!

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"I have owned this car for over 1-1/2 years. I have driven over 42,000 miles with no problems. The main weakness of the car is the power. I would definitely like to have a more powerful engine. With that being said, the car handles great! It understears a bit. My 5 has an auto transmission, though I usually use the manual shift option, the car will get 26+ mpg if you drive it easy. The interior fit and finish is great, much better than I would expect for a car at this price, about as good as a Honda Accord. The third row is reserved for young children, maybe 10 and under. When you use the third row for passengers there is virtually no place to store anything. It is a comfortable car for 4. With the seats folded in the rear you can fit more cargo than most people would believe. If you have kids this is a great car to cart them around and it won't break the bank. I use mine for work, the storage space is great! I would recommend this car to anyone of my friends."

Hmm

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I wish that the air conditioning circulated a little better. We live in a hot state, and so whenever I turn on my car to cool down, it takes FOREVER to cool down the back two rows. Also, passenger seat has no armrest. Husband often complains about that. I love my 5, but am thinking of trading for a Tribute."

Just O.K.

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"Interior is very hard to keep clean, ground clearance is very low, OEM Toyo's are terrible, 3 recalls and other odd breaks. It's just a mini-van and the "Zoom-Zoom type of car they hype it up to be. I would prefer a Honda again."

Love It

By on Saturday, July 07, 2007

"wow, thats the best car for the money, gas milage is great compare with my 03 odesy and this one drives better!! perfect solution for our green family. Thank you mazda...zom zom"

Great little car, great gas mileage even in town

By on Thursday, February 19, 2015

Pros: "gas mileage"

Cons: "leg room minimal throughout vehicle"

"Not much leg room for teenage boys who are approaching 6"."

Very good car for small family.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, reliability, utility"

Cons: "limited towing, limited space for more than 4"

"To be honest, at my age, I kind of miss the roominess and lush comfort of the Chrysler Town and Country we once had. But for value, fuel economy, utility, and reliability I can't say I've ever owned or even known of a better car than our Mazda 5 Grand Touring van. We've put 50K miles on it over two years. A lot of long trips. It's a bit compact for a van but it does seat six comfortably, although two adults in the rear-most bench seat would eventually feel a bit cramped on a long trip. And with six people on an over-night trip there won't be much room for luggage so pack light. The manual indicates that the Mazda 5 is not designed for towing and that it should never be used for that. However I think that's just the maker guarding against the backlash that might result from some idiot towing way too much for the light duty transmission. I found a good class-1 hitch specifically designed for the Mazda 5 that I had put on our 2008 Mazda 5 and towed a U-Haul 5' x 8' box trailer full of furniture twice from Oklahoma to Tennessee. Total weight was less than 2K pounds and I took it very easy accelerating. But it pulled just fine and no strain on the drive train. I also found a YouTube video showing an install of this hitch. I think those two OK-TN trips may have caused the rear tires, which were aging anyway, to each slip a belt, so maybe the trailer was a bit over-weight or maybe the typically rough highways in OK and AR put a beating on the tires with the added weight on them. Can't be sure. In any case the Mazda 5 would certainly have no problem towing a pop-up camper or an open trailer with a lawn tractor on it. I wouldn't haul yards of gravel or lots of lumber, etc., and just go easy on loading if you pull a box trailer. And just to be safe, accelerate lightly. As for long trips, it's comfortable enough. The front seats are heated and 4-way adjustable manually. I do miss the 6-way power adjust of the Town and Country but the heavy motors were probably one of the many things sacrificed to get the overall weight down and the fuel economy up, which for us has been as high as 28 gallons per mile highway. Loaded down we'll get about 23 to 26 depending on road conditions and wind. One major complaint: the six CD changer that came standard with the Grand Touring is totally worthless. The place I bought the van was kind to replace the whole entertainment system with a new but identical system and within one day the CD changer wouldn't work properly. The receiver and sound system is quite good, though, and we love the integrated voice and steering wheel controls for our smart phones. But we plan to buy and install a new system at Best buy."

love Love LOVE this car!

By on Friday, May 03, 2013

Pros: "Great Value; Roomy; Fun Drive;Terrific Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Rear should also heat, not just a/c."

"Car has been in two accidents and had things replaced like shocks, bearings, and engine mounts but overall I still Love this car (bought new in 2009). I am a "voluptuous" woman and do not feel 'cramped' in the car. The versatility of having three rows of seating is wonderful. They fold flat when needed which turns my car into a bit of truck for hauling mulch and bicycles. I get about 330 miles to a tank with a mixture of city & highway driving. Draw backs are rear vent system only does A/C and not heat. Seems to go through tires quickly."

What a great design

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Handels great and has good visability"

Cons: "Hard to read displays in sunlight. Cannot use snow"

"Fun to drive, good visability, functional,love the sliding doors and not a huge van!"

Love my car!

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive."

Cons: "Not a lot of space when 4 of us travel w/luggage."

"I love this car. It is perfect for a mom with two kids. They can each take a friend places and there is also room for our dog. It really drives like a car. I didn't want to give in to the mini-van lifestyle and this was the perfect choice! The sliding doors are also great; keep the kids from dinging cars parked next to us. And the price was right. I got the grand touring version, fully decked out with leather upholstery and MP3 hook up for under 23,000 (in 2007)."

Bluetooth

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Reason: Negatives become very annoying over time

Pros: "Handling and Steering Good"

Cons: "Electronic Options Need Work"

"The bluetooth functionality allowing you to make hands-free calls using the steering wheel stopped working after 1 month. I took it into the dealer who fixed it but then it happen again, and again, and again. I could never get it to work more than 2 weeks at a time. I finally gave up. The phone I am using is on the supported list and I was told it had nothing to do with my carrier or phone model. The DVD player works intermittently and will often not recognize DVDs even though my children watched the same DVD the day before in my home DVD player. It does not work well with the Satellite Radio. I often have to choose one or the other. I cannot put headphones on the kids to watch the DVD and listen to the radio myself. Over time, it seems to take longer to accelerate from 0 to 60. Consumer Reports says it takes 9.6 seconds. This was true when I initially purchased the car, but over time, my experience is closer to 12 seconds, which matters when you are trying to merge onto a busy interstate highway. I am up to date with all maintenance, so this is not the reason for the degrading performance. The tires do not last as long as advertised. I had to replace all 4 tires when I reached 18,000 miles. I am a fairly cautious driver, rarely driving over the speed limit and not an aggressive driver. I would hav expected the tires to last longer. The fit and finish inside the car also leaves something to be desired. I hit a pothole and panels popped out. It turned out that the panels were held together with nothing but double-stick tape. It was rather unnerving. I never came close to the EPA miles per gallon (MPG) estimate of 21 in city driving and 28 on the highway. It was more like 17 in city driving and 23 on the highway. Still good numbers, but not great. Handling and steering are good. It feels similar to driving a Honda, which is what I owned prior to buying this car. While the car is a good value from a sticker price perspective, the things I mentioned became major annoyances over time to where I regretted buying the car and could not wait to get rid of it."

great car

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "value for the price!"

"we love this car!"

The most useful car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "Perfect family car."

Cons: "Not a sports car."

"This car handles well, is adequately powered, and is very versatile. The split seats in the 2nd row make this an extremely comfortable car for 4 people for a long trip. The seats in the 3rd row are "in a pinch" seats - kids and small adults only for an hour or less. Still it is nice to have that capability. With seats folded down it handles an amazing volume of cargo. The car has very predictable handling and reasonable road feel. The brakes are good. Acceleration is OK, but not like a sports car. Still, you can get on the highway without sweating bullets and it is pleasant to drive, even on a long trip. The controls are very well thought-out and convenient. Gas mileage is 26 in mixed urban/suburban, 30 on the highway. It says "hello" to you when you start it."

Not so much!

By on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pros: "Styling and gas mileage"

Cons: "Tires are too pricey, poor quality overall."

"I purchased this car new. I am very pleased with the styling and side slide door entry which is great for kid entry. The gas mileage is better than average as well. The issues I have with this car is the tires(high preformance which equals $$$$). The tires do not last and need replaced every 4-5 months. 4 tires for this car cost around $800. This is outrageous. The rim are also a problem as they are aluminum which is no match for Pennsylvania potholes. I have also had to have shocks and strutts replaced to the tune of 600 . This car gas proven to be a money pit!"

Love this car, but it eats tires!

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "tons of room"

Cons: "unfriendly to tires"

"I think this car is the greatest for interior space and convenience. It has so much more room in it than it looks like it would from the outside. It is somewhat underpowered, but the great gas mileage makes up for it. My only criticism is that because it rides low to the road and has high performance tires, it requires alignment very often and more frequent tire replacement that I would like."

great auto

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

"factory tires replaced at 31000 other thanthat great auto"

Very good car overall

By on Saturday, December 17, 2011

"Very good car. Handling, maneuverability excellent. Good size and fuel economy, a pleasure to drive.Good price Negatives are low profile tires causing early wear and road noise. The air conditioner is weak"

Sweet size and flexible interior. Great family car

By on Saturday, December 03, 2011

Pros: "Fun look, reliable and comfortable w/tall driver"

Cons: "No 7th seat option like in Japan and Europe"

"I have loved this van for its aesthetics and flexibility. I am so glad that we chose the Mazda5 over a full size mini-van. It drives like a car and has a superb turn radius. It sits higher than a car so it is nice for a taller driver like me (6 ft.). It has been great for carpooling extra kids once in a awhile and hauling furniture. The seats are easy to fold down and lots of cargo space. The frame does sit low to the ground which may take some getting used to when parking. Only a couple of repairs in the last 6 years; not too bad."

really good car

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "easy to drive, lots of bells and whistles"

Cons: "had to replace transmission at 96,000 miles"

"I bought this 2009 Mazda5 in February of 2011 with 88,000 miles on it for my mom who had mobility issues. It is easy to get in and out of. The grandchildren love it. It has leather interior. The factory installed sound system is nice. The factory installed bluetooth is ok. Sometimes it is difficult for the caller to hear. It drives well in the snow and over mountain passes. I will say at 96,000 miles or 91 days after I purchased the vehicle the transmission light came on. I had to replace the transmission but luckily for me it was covered under the powertrain warranty. I have had no other issues with the vehicle. I am currently trying to sell the vehicle but because of the high miles not having much luck. This is a great car and if I had a bigger family I would keep it. Love the heated seats, cargo room, captain chairs, sliding rear doors, all the cup holders and extra electronic plug-ins. I would recommend this vehicle to a friend."