2006 Mazda MAZDA5

8.0

Based on 242 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Overall good vehicle

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "Plenty of interior space"

Cons: "Lots of road noise, especially on freeway"

"For driving around town or even for short weekend trips, this car is great! More space than a regular sedan without being huge like an SUV or minivan. Would NOT suggest for a weeklong road trip with 4 adults, however. Sometimes driving can be jerky, especially turns and stops, so not suggested for people that can get carsick. Handles fine in rain, slush, ice, and a little snow, but tends to drift and slide in deep snow."

Wife loves her "zoom zoom!"

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pros: "Great vehicle for what it is"

Cons: "Needs about 20 more hp to get the real zoom-zoom!"

"Bought 2008 Mazda 5 for wife. Touring model with sunroof. Currently have nearly 93000 miles on it. Love it. Only complaint is engine is a bit small for this size vehicle, but for what we do with it, it's not a problem. It will cruise on the highway just fine. Interior is nearly perfect. Third-row of seats is definitely "kid only," but we hardly ever use them. No problems at all with power train. Only complaint is that Mazda decided to use low profile tires on this vehicle, and they don't last as long as I think they should. Got 30K out of the last set of Kumho's. Went to Pirelli's and ride quality improved immensely, so we will see how these last. We will be in the market for another one just like this one next year. BTW...a previous review mentioned that there were no vents in the rear for air. The 2008 has vents for the second row, but none for the third. No problem for us, as mentioned earlier, we don't use the third row often. One more small complaint...Mazda needs to put a power plug in the second row console or somewhere. There is one in the dash and one in the very back. Needs another one badly."

Great vehicle!

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

Pros: "small, but fits lots of stuff/people;easy to drive"

Cons: "no air conditioning/heat vents for back rows"

"This car has been great! It's super reliable and comfortable. The back row of seats is small - adults can fit there, but it's not good for long rides. This model year did not have air conditioning vents for the back rows, so it can get pretty hot in any seats except the front row. I'm pretty sure they fixed that in the following model year. I love the fact that it's a small car, but has space for so much stuff. The seats all fold down easily in all sorts of configurations, so you can fit practically anything in the car. Also, it fits in any parking spot easily!"

Do not buy this piece of junk

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Good price"

Cons: "Everything else"

"This is the most unstable car you can own. The car is not stable and does not give you the sense of control. The breaking is horrible. Good luck stopping the car on a short notice. The breaks just dont work if you have to stop quickly."

It's been a great car

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

"I bought this car new. I have a long commute and 4 kids, so having a car with seating for 6 and (at the time) a 4 cyl for gas mileage was the most important. The car handles awesome (zoom zoom) and has been extremely reliable. But the handling is due in part to the low profile soft rubber tires that you have to use. Even if you keep your rotation schedule you'll be lucky to get 30k miles out of a set, and at $500 to $600 per having a long commute = a new set of tires per year. And it's not ideal for a big family trip, since once you have the 3 row seating in place your "trunk space" is limited to a few cubic feet and cannot hold more than a few folding chairs and a small bag. But for the other 99% of usage time it's great. It's a safe vehicle, dependable, kinda sporty and it seems to have held it's value. I've put 199,000 miles on it and have no plans to replace it any time soon."

Bad paint job, very noisy inside, mech. problems

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

"Paint job is razor thin. any little nick will show primer underneath. Bird stuff on the hood lifted dime size dots of paint. Suspension makes constant knocking noise after just couple of years. Very noisy inside"

Very good car for small family.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, reliability, utility"

Cons: "limited towing, limited space for more than 4"

"To be honest, at my age, I kind of miss the roominess and lush comfort of the Chrysler Town and Country we once had. But for value, fuel economy, utility, and reliability I can't say I've ever owned or even known of a better car than our Mazda 5 Grand Touring van. We've put 50K miles on it over two years. A lot of long trips. It's a bit compact for a van but it does seat six comfortably, although two adults in the rear-most bench seat would eventually feel a bit cramped on a long trip. And with six people on an over-night trip there won't be much room for luggage so pack light. The manual indicates that the Mazda 5 is not designed for towing and that it should never be used for that. However I think that's just the maker guarding against the backlash that might result from some idiot towing way too much for the light duty transmission. I found a good class-1 hitch specifically designed for the Mazda 5 that I had put on our 2008 Mazda 5 and towed a U-Haul 5' x 8' box trailer full of furniture twice from Oklahoma to Tennessee. Total weight was less than 2K pounds and I took it very easy accelerating. But it pulled just fine and no strain on the drive train. I also found a YouTube video showing an install of this hitch. I think those two OK-TN trips may have caused the rear tires, which were aging anyway, to each slip a belt, so maybe the trailer was a bit over-weight or maybe the typically rough highways in OK and AR put a beating on the tires with the added weight on them. Can't be sure. In any case the Mazda 5 would certainly have no problem towing a pop-up camper or an open trailer with a lawn tractor on it. I wouldn't haul yards of gravel or lots of lumber, etc., and just go easy on loading if you pull a box trailer. And just to be safe, accelerate lightly. As for long trips, it's comfortable enough. The front seats are heated and 4-way adjustable manually. I do miss the 6-way power adjust of the Town and Country but the heavy motors were probably one of the many things sacrificed to get the overall weight down and the fuel economy up, which for us has been as high as 28 gallons per mile highway. Loaded down we'll get about 23 to 26 depending on road conditions and wind. One major complaint: the six CD changer that came standard with the Grand Touring is totally worthless. The place I bought the van was kind to replace the whole entertainment system with a new but identical system and within one day the CD changer wouldn't work properly. The receiver and sound system is quite good, though, and we love the integrated voice and steering wheel controls for our smart phones. But we plan to buy and install a new system at Best buy."

Very good car for small family.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, reliability, utility"

Cons: "limited towing, limited space for more than 4"

Great family and or teen car for college

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

"Loved it selling it - but would do it all again"

A grocery-getter that doesn't act like it!

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "24 MPG, agile, fun to drive, 6 passenger"

Cons: "Dash lighting control, limited room in front"

"If you love driving, but need a van, this is the car for you! Better than average MPG (24 city when I'm not trying) for a mini-van and responsive driving. Starts getting cramped for anyone over 6'1". Fit a family of 5 inside for a vacation. Cartop carrier for vacation a NECESSITY. Back doors are sliders-wicked convenient! All you have to do is watch Mazda racing, the high-revving MX-5s, to know these cars are reliable."