2006 Mazda MAZDA5

8.0

Based on 253 Ratings for the 2006 - 2010 models.

Great Car for a Young Family of 4

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Pros: "cheap, fun, really roomy, Mazda driving experience"

Cons: "Avg MPG, low-profile tires, not good for 3+ kids"

"We've had our car a little over a year and put almost 20k on it. Pros - Fun to drive, Lots of cargo space for small footprint, Sporty-ish exterior, good value for the relatively-low purchase price, Love the sliding doors! Cons - MPG is unimpressive (23 avg for us), Driver's seat is pretty tight for large people, must use low-profile tires and they wear down quickly, interior is boring, 3rd-row seats only work for children All things considered we really like this car - it's literally the only car my wife has ever enjoyed driving! We can deal with the MPG although I miss the 32 MPG I was getting from the Accord this replaced. We really love the 2nd row for our kids (7&5): dual sliding doors are large and awesome, seats are roomy - great for car seats - and sit up nice and high, dedicated 2nd row cold air vent is great for warm summer weather. These 2nd row assets really set this above typical sedans in our mind, AND you get the expansive cargo room of a hatch-back with pop-up 3rd row if the grandparents ever need to ride with us. This wouldn't work for us if we had 3 kids, but we love it for our family of 4."

best family car

By on Monday, July 12, 2010

"Bought it because didn't want a minivan but needed a car for a family of 5. Never owned a Mazda before and was a bit reluctant to buy but did anyways. Really glad I did. In 2 years had no problems, so reliability it's been excellent so far. Performance is great. To those that say/think a 4-cylinder engine cannot have sufficient power I say: try the zoom-zoom. Even with 2 (big) adults, 2 young children and a teenager the engine is always on top of the situation, if anything too much so. I got 2 speeding tickets and I could barely feel like I was going 75 mph on the highway. The transmission is my favorite feature. In automatic mode it works great, very smooth and shifting up and down at the appropriate time, but to get teh most out of it use it in manual mode. My wife just didn't want to deal with it until I made her try. Now she is always in manual too and loves to shift down when slowing before a turn, makes her feel like she is "in control" of the vehicle. Fuel mileage is great both in the city and the highway mostly because the engine is so peppy that you need to use a minimum of the gas pedal at anytime. The car being so light also helps a lot to keep fuel burn down. The only thing I didn't like was the brakes but when time came to replace them I just had premium rotors and pads (350$) installed and now the car stops on a dime. Trunk space is great with the rear seats down but limited if 6 passengers on board. If you need lots of trunk space and normally have 6 people on board then you need a full size minivan. The ride is quiet inside the car and very comfortable for everybody, however the 3 row seats are good for children up to 9-10 years old, after that they would be cramped. The 2nd row seats are fine for kids or adults and the driving seat is comfortable for me (6'3" and 210 lbs). I love the "sit-high" stance compared with my other car (Ford taurus) where I seat much lower. Air conditioner is good for front and middle seats but in the summer cool the car down for a few minutes before driving if you have 5 or 6 people riding. I really like this car bause it saved me a ton of money first when I purchased it and then every time at the pump, and has delivered everything that was supposed to."

Very practical, unlike any other

By on Sunday, November 01, 2009

"Bought a 2008 Touring model used with 33,000 miles on it for $15k and have now owned it for approximately 3 months. All in all, I really like this car but will stop short of declaring neverending love and devotion. The fuel economy is pretty darned good. I do love the utility of the sliding doors (especially with kids in carseats!) and that the rear windows go down. And I love that it doesn't look or feel like a minivan. Everyone is shocked when I tell them that it's technically a minivan. Personally, I think of it as a crossover with sliding doors. As other reviews will note, the third row is a joke. We have used it once in a pinch, and it's OK, but 99% of the time, it is folded down so we can actually have useful space in the back. My biggest complaint about the car is the lack of any storage for the driver! Where am I supposed to put my sunglasses? A pen? Coins for tolls? A map? (The map pocket is behind the driver's seat - should be the passenger seat so I can actually reach it from the driver's seat.) I can't fit much in the door pockets, either, and the glove box is pretty much filled up with just the manual in there. NONE of the storage compartments are covered, so there's no easy way to hide my phone while I run into a convenience store or something. Even the power outlet is in an inconvenient location, because the cord starts to get in the way of the cup holders. I have noticed a squeaking/grinding noise with the brakes, but I've been assured by the dealer and an independent party that they are fine. Still investigating that noise. So, while I don't love it, I don't think there would have been another car to fit our needs (Crossovers have sliding doors and worse fuel economy; SUVs cost much more and also have worse fuel economy; a regular sedan wouldn't be big enough, a "real" minivan would be WAY too big and, again, poor fuel economy). I do hope there are more options like this when I make my next car purchase, because the idea is sound but there are many tweaks that could make the everyday driving experience much better"

Mazda5 for a family of 6

By on Monday, April 27, 2009

"I had a small sedan that I was a bit sad to sell, but with four kids, it just was too difficult to not have a second vehicle to take us around. I have a large minivan that gets about 20 MPG, but it is a land whale and not great in traffic nor parking lots. The 2008 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring has been a great car for us. It is nimble and speedy in traffic, the automatic/manual shifting is available for if I want a bit more fun and the quad seating for six is great. My kids are all under ten years old, so the leg room issues in the back are not a problem in the back, though I'd like a little more space for the driver. Would this be the preferred vehicle for six NFL linebackers? Probably not. But for a family, it has been very nice, even when my parents change the composition to 4 adults and 2 kids. The gas mileage has been around the listed of 24 MPG, with a couple of times getting to 27 MPG. After a year's driving, the only problem was a faulty gas cap that would not allow me to fill the tank, and the same thing happened with the replacement. My dealership told me the problem was fixed so hopefully this third gas cap won't have a problem. I love the features on it that I have not previously had in a car: automatic windshield wipers, automatic temperature control, automatic lights that also can be turned off (unlike my minivan), nice controls at the hands on the wheel, side doors that easily open for a five year old, storage under the middle seats. I don't find myself using the adjustable feature on the HID headlights, though I like how bright they are. The four seats in the back also fold down and there is a surprising amount of storage capacity for a vehicle that's more than half a foot shorter than the Camry. Speaking of which, the Mazda5 has about three times the maximum cargo capacity than the Camry and the turning radius is again more than half a foot shorter than said sedan. I have the GT model, and it was certainly worth the price for the included upgrades of leather, sound, moon roof and Blue-tooth phone connection, which is very easy to use. We take the large minivan out for vacations, but the Mazda5 drives so well it has us thinking of buying a roof racket and luggage holder. I would definitely buy this vehicle again, even though I am not a Mazda fan. There are no other vehicles with the sliding doors that are this versatile at this size and performance with this seating at this price."

Meets all the needs!

By on Thursday, January 03, 2008

"We purchased this car a while back and have been very pleased with the gas mileage as well as the sportiness and handling. We have traveled long distances and around town and everything is great about the M5. We think it is the best kept secret of mini(micro-mini) vans. MPG city is about 20, on hwy we have gotten 30 with the car loaded down, but regularly about 28. Fits our large fam, and saves on gas! What else could you want in a daily ride??"