2014 Mazda MAZDA3 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $16,068 - $16,603.

10/8.5

Based on 28 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

Zoom-Zoom

By on Thursday, December 11, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, plenty of power, lots of features."

Cons: "Visibility out rear window is limited."

"I bought this car 9 months ago because I am driving 82 miles round trip to and from work. When I decided to buy this car the only things I were really concerned about were gas mileage, and cost of ownership. I was extremely impressed by everything else this car had to offer. The iTouring model comes with some really nice perks such as blind spot monitoring, and blu tooth connect with the stereo. The performance of the engine is amazing as well. For having 156 hp this thing really moves. It is almost as fast as my 2004 Ralliart which has around 170 hp. On my drive home and for a month or so afterwards the car seemed to want to jump in and out of the tracks on the road. I couldn't tell if this was due to the tires or the car itself but after it's first scheduled maintenance I have had no problems with the tracking. After 2 oil changes the car averages around 40 mpg combined. I did notice that I will get anywhere from 43-46 mpg immediately after an oil change, while getting around 36-38 right before the 10,000 mile oil change. The only problem I seem to have right now is the trunk is very high which limits the visibility out the rear window."

Great car but with flaws!

By on Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Pros: "Great gas milage, fun to drive, appealing design,"

Cons: "Road-wind noise, alignment problem, tight backseat"

"I have the hatch version, 2.0L engine for roughly 6 months with one oil change from the dealer. So far the car was great. However it does have flaws, and I only give it 3/5 star. The one that border me most is the alignment problem. When going 60mph on highway, this car keeps leaning to the left by itself. I have to steer to keep it in the lane, that makes other drivers behind me think I'm drunk or something. Also, strong wind really got this car good."

Very nice car, disappointing gas mileage

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "Precise steering, great handling, fun to drive"

Cons: "gas mileage, rear visibility,"

"We've owned our 2014 iSport hatchback for just about a year now. It looks great and still makes me smile every time I walk up to it. It handles beautifully, with very precise steering, and the base engine is surprisingly peppy. Great fun to drive and smooth and comfortable on the long trips. We have two big disappointments: 1. Our gas mileage is only 31.83 mpg (I measure every tank full) over the 10k miles and with a mix of about 50.50 city highway. The sticker calls for 35 city and 40 highway. 34 on an all highway tank was the best we've seen. 2. Rear visibility is limited, making reversing and parking a chore. Even the front visibility close in is sketchy. This is the only car I've ever owned that I couldn't drop precisely between the parking stripes first time, every time. This seems minor, but it is an irritation every day and has us considering whether this will be a long-term car or not."

One month in, love it more every day!

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "Great value, Good overall quality, Fun to drive"

Cons: "Could use a little more power"

"I just bought a 2015 Mazda 3i sport hatchback, by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Mazda put out an all around solid product for an excellent price. If you are in the market for a compact car you would be crazy not to take one out for a test drive. The handling is crisp and smooth, the fuel economy is at the top of its class, especially if you aren't interested in spending the extra cash for a hybrid or a diesel. From 2014 to 2015 they made the infotainment center option standard on all but the SV model. Having the command controller makes navigating through media center menus quick and easy, much more intuitive than similar systems in other cars. The interior feels like it belongs in a more expensive vehicle. I bought the base model, and still feel like everything has a good clean professional feel. The bold new exterior is sure to impress, I still smile every time I step into the garage. I have the manual transmission, the shifter throws are short and crisp, and the clutch responds nicely. Do yourself a favor, read some more reviews, go for a few test drives, and buy a Mazda 3. You wont regret it."

Dont let this one slip by ........

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "Great Gas Mileage, Fun to drive... everything is a"

"If you are shopping for a sporty comapct car, then this is the 'ONE.' After much debate and research, we elected to buy the 2015 Mazda 6 speed hatchback. Was looking for something with great gas milesage without having the cost for an Electric or Hybrid and I could not be happier. The fact that it rides and feels like a sports car is a huge incentive and has allowed me to put the "FUN" back into driving. Don't let this one slip by ... take the plunge and buy one."

Excellent Addition to Mazda 3 Generation

By on Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, refined, great standard features"

Cons: "Little pricey"

"I used to own a 2012 Mazda 3 with the revamped engine but I traded it in for the 2014 I Touring with its refined features. I have had little reason to regret my decision. The car is edgy, fun to drive and for only a 156 HP engine has quite a bit of get up and go. More importantly, the shifts are smoother than my 12 and engine and road noise has been limited. The standard slate of good features in my old 12 have been brought into this car. The stereo system is excellent and the user controls are simple. Mazda significantly revamped its interior to add refinement and the seating is much more comfortable. The fabric is deeper and smoother for example. All in all, this is a car I could easily keep for a decade, especially since its MPG is likely to keep it competitive with newer cars in the segment for some time to come."

Great vehicle for value!

By on Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, good gas mileage."

Cons: "Low head room."

"I bought this car 5 months ago in May and have been very happy with it. I traded in my '08 Ford Fusion for the '14 Mazda 3 Sedan and gained 12 MPG. Every 2 gallons I save a gallon of gas. Yes it went from a V6 to a 4 cylinder but the car still has plenty of acceleration if needed. Runs fairly quiet. Interior design is nice and looks clean. Only option I have is the moon roof but it doesn't feel like a low end car. The Deep Crystal Blue has a tendency to look black in low light situations but sparkles in the sun. It uses synthetic oil so oil changes are not needed as often but is more expensive. Back seat has limited leg room as is expected in this car's segment but the trunk still has lots of room and the seats fold down for more storage capacity. Overall I would recommend this car to anyone looking for good gas mileage. Car handles corners well and has the power shifting so you can take control if you want."

Best small car overall

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Great fun to drive, great mileage, best interface"

Cons: "No manual in 2.5 L engine"

"When shopping I drove all the small cars that came in a hatchback, and that came in manual. This one was the most fun to drive except the Focus ST and Fiesta ST. It gets the best gas mileage. I think it also looks the best. So got this one. Nine months in, it is awesome. No problems, it drives like a dream, and the user interface of the car is better than any other car I've driven. The knob that controls the stereo, GPS, your Facebook page, etc, is just about flawless, and syncs perfectly with the screen. The screen btw is in the perfect spot. It is insane- it can go through my phone contacts, update my Facebook status, find the nearest WaWa, show me the traffic report, guide me to any destination. And the key is it works better than any other system I've seen. Driving the car is fantastic. A notch below sports car, but my 2.0 manual is super responsive, and the car corners like a dream. A monitor tracks your overall mileage and I am at 34.8 mpg, which includes many hours of idling during last year's snowy winter. It was around 30 in March and has been climbing ever since. The gas mileage has been just as good as advertised. Interior is okay, stereo is okay, but honestly I'm not a connoisseur of those things. Rear storage space is smaller than I expected, due to the way they make things aerodynamic, but still enough for long camping trips with two mountain bikes inside. Overall I have only positive things to say!"

Great little car

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

"I drive this to and from work every day. all surface streets gets 28 to 30 mpg."

Great vehicle at any price.....

By on Monday, October 13, 2014

Pros: "Looks and drives like a much more expensive car."

Cons: "No seat memory for when my wife takes my car."

"Needed smaller vehicle to fit in the 2 car garage with my wife's Lexus CT Hybrid. The Mazda3 2.5 engine is fun to drive....lots of get up and go while feeling light and very quick to respond. Have had my Grand Touring edition for 4 months and traded my BMW 325 in. I am having more fun with my MAZDA!"

If You Really Like to Drive Buy Something Else

By on Friday, October 03, 2014

"I bought my Mazda 3 GTi 6MT this past July. Because I love to drive manual transmissions I had to go with the smaller 2.0L engine. The design and all of the tech on this car is great. Nice job Mazda. If you love to drive, however, go with something else. I appreciate Mazda trying to create a sporty car that also gets good MPGs, but unfortunately the engine just doesn't have the power to make this an exciting drive. Additionally, the seats are not very comfortable on long drives. I'm someone who buys a car and keeps it for 10-12 years, but I'm already looking to get something else, because I can't see myself being happy with this car for a decade."

Perfect for city/hwy sporty commute

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Pros: "Fuel efficient 2.5L, solid ride, head up display"

Cons: "No complimentary oil change"

"The Mazda 3S sedan certainly feels very sturdy compared to my previous car, a 2010 Corolla, specially when taking sharp turns, changing lanes in busy traffic, or simply when a speeding tractor-trailer crosses you. The brake is super responsive, and the acceleration is decent without the sport mode turned on, and superb in the sport mode. With the 18" alloy wheels, thin tires, and sport tuned suspension, the ride feels very sporty (to be positive) or stiff (to be negative). But I guess that's a matter of taste. In rush hour (50-55mph), I average about 41mpg. At off-peak freeway (70-75mph) or in local traffic (35-40mph), it is about 35mpg. Very decent numbers for a 2.5L engine :-) I cannot overstate just how cool and convenient the head-up display unit is. It let's you keep your eyes on the road while getting lane/turn instructions from the GPS, and otherwise simply track cruising activity. The steering wheel mounted paddle shifters are awesome when driving on hilly roads, and the leatherette seats feels as soft as leather :-) Although the awkwardly placed GPS unit looks like an aftermarket addition, it is very easy to navigate with the knob and quick access buttons while driving, which is same as what the 2015 Audi A3 has. However, my Mazda 3 LCD touchscreen's display as well as the infotainment features layout both feel much fancier and easier to use. It's a bummer that some of the best features are only available in the S GT trim, including radar cruise (although the S Touring has a radar in front, deactivated!), adaptive headlight, and rain sensing wiper. Also, if you want non-black interior, S GT is the only trim you will find that in. But what is totally maddening is that you do *not* get automatic headlight on the $25K Mazda 3 S, something that even my 2010 Corolla base sedan had. You have to bump all the way up to S GT with tech package for that ... I mean, seriously? Also, unlike essentially every other automaker, Mazda *does not* provide any complimentary maintenance (oil change etc.) for the first 2-3 years :-("

Love it!

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, safe, fast, reliable"

Cons: "Worry about new technology breaking someday."

"I did months of research trying to find a sporty, powerful, safe, reliable vehicle to replace my ancient 1998 Honda Civic EX. I drove a Subaru CrossTrek and discovered how much I really hate CVT engines. I'm a little bit of a car enthusiast, and the blender appliance sounds and lack of true gear shifting control made me feel car sick. From that point on, I knew I was looking for a manual transmission. . A lot of car makers are abandoning manual transmissions that include any bells and whistles, so I had limited selection. Reliability and safety are very important to me, and a Honda or Toyota would have fit the bill nicely, but I wanted something truly sporty that had a little kick when you lay down on the acceleration pedal. None of the 4 door small car models by Honda or Toyota would have fit the bill. I thought about the Ford Focus Sport model but I didn't like the reliability ratings, and I also thought about the Subaru WRX, but it was slightly out of my price range and the dealers can't keep them in stock to test drive. . I decided to test drive the 6 speed, 2.5 Liter, Mazda 3 because it was more powerful than most of the competition small car models, it is very safe, and it looks very sexy. . Not only does this car feel fast and sporty, its refined, and has a huge amount of safety features. The cabin is quiet, the ride is smooth, the manual shifting points are refined and easy to navigate. It even has a roll back prevention feature so if you are stuck on an inclined hill and have to start rolling forward using your clutch, you won't roll backwards. No need to ride the clutch while you release the emergency brake while driving in Seattle or Tacoma! . I fell in love with this car as soon as I test drove it. Unlike the Honda and Toyota, this thing has pep and a really amazing engine. It goes when you want it to go. It has no hesitation. It can rocket off the line, and yet it gets almost 40mpg. . It is also a top safety pick by the IIHS, which makes me feel much more comfortable than riding in both the Toyota and Honda, which both had dismal scores in the front overlap tests last year. I know my family will be safe riding in this car. . I love this car. I was totally blown away with the comfort, the safety features, the refinement of the interior, and the value. I originally wanted a BMW or Lexus but couldn't afford one. I could have waited to buy a WRX, but I feel like this car has plenty of power to make my commute to work fun and entertaining. I'll save money on gas as well. . I highly recommend you drive this car in the 2.5 sport version, with leather. It's amazing. I feel incredibly fortunate to have found this car with a manual transmission. It's really fun to drive. It's exactly what I was looking for, and I don't feel like I'm missing out by not driving a Subaru WRX, BMW, or Lexus."

2015 Mazda3 was a great decision by my son

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great mileage, and good space."

Cons: "A little more legroom in the back would be nice"

"This car was chosen by my son after test driving every comparable care under $30K. We split the payments, so I drive it on weekdays and he gets it in the evening and weekends. This vehicle has exceeded every MPG rating, and I'm now getting more than 110% of the posted MPG. This vehicle is fun to drive, economical and has enough space for four adults (6' tall). I would like a couple more inches of leg room for the back seat, but the front has more than enough to make up for the shortage. I've enjoyed this car so much that I'm now looking at replacing my weekend vehicle and I'm down to three cars with very specific benefits to each. For legroom and price, the Nissan Sentra wins hands down. It will get you from A to B, but it leans bad in turns and lacks any feel in steering and braking. On the other end I love the Mercedes CLA250. Performance, mileage, comfort, quite and fun to drive, with a starting price of $30K. This is a very tempting car, but they call the four door a coupe for a good reason. This car has no legroom in the back. The Mazda3 is the perfect car in between these two. Sure it could use a little more room or a little less road noise, but the price is close to the Nissan with handling close to the Mercedes and the Mazda has the best MPG."

FUN SMALL CAR

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great tech package."

Cons: "slow paddle shifters"

"This is my first Mazda, and I am impressed (had a tacoma before, hard act to follow). The Mazda3 Sport Grand Touring Hatchback with the Tech Packge and iEloop is an excellent car for the money. It handles extremely well, as tested on the winding mountain roads of Southern California. To balance out the Zoom Zoom, it also gets great gas mileage (I average about 30 MPG in city/ congested freeway conditions). The only thing I slightly dislike is the paddle shifters, as I feel they are slow to respond (expected the control of a manual, but lags). I will be patiently awaiting the arrival of the Speed3, as we could all use a little more power to match the handling!"

Love it!

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, lots of future, USB"

Cons: "One 12 volt outlet, screen could be better place"

"I have this car about 5 Months, I drive about 100 Miles per day, its comfortable, has enough power to cruise fas"

Best car in it's class

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "See above"

Cons: "See above"

"My wife needed an economical car with decent interior space. We checked all the major manufacturers, and chose the Mazda3 for it's reliability, excellent MPG and it's appearance. Reliability: Mazda3 has had a long history of being a reliable car, if my internet research is accurate. There are reports of the 2nd generation of Mazda3 owners hitting 70K miles with just simple maintenance, and very little after that towards 100K. Gas mileage: We have the I Touring, and on the 70 mile drive home, I averaged 42 MPG. I'd say 35% of that was city driving, and the rest highway/rural back roads. Today, my wife drove it to work (5-10% city, the rest highway) and averaged a whopping 47 MPG (the stats had been reset by me before she left). To give you an idea of the savings we realized, her previous vehicle was a Chevy Trailblazer, which hit 20 MPG if she was lucky. Appearance: Of all the cars in it's class, we felt the Mazda3 was the best looking of the bunch. Very aggressive and sporty. The only other car we felt looked nearly as good, was the Civic coupe, but it didn't have the interior requirements we needed. Cons: The only things I can really find fault with is: - the tachometer is small, and has that cheap 1980's digital appearance to it. Mazda had a real chance of giving us the WOW factor, and at least in this case, it was a disappointment. It does function as it should, however. - Prone to fingerprints. The black trim on the exterior doors really grabs and hold fingerprints. Even after the short time we've owned the car, there are a load of them all over the trim, and I foresee us having to either avoid touching them, or wash them frequently. - Delicate exterior paint - We have the Soul red paint, and it and the white are the only ones that have a triple coating (that's a good thing - triple coat) BUT the paint seems more vulnerable to nicks and scratches than paint on other vehicles we have owned. It's not falling off, or showing signs of degrading already, but I had to have a very small section of paint repaired by the dealer the second day we had it. These are all small quibbles on an otherwise great car. The only other thing that really burns my bacon, is that the 2015 models (except baseline sedan) will have the current Infotainment package (7" screen, $1,600 option) come as STANDARD, and fog lights ($370 option) also appear to also come as standard. I would've waited the 2 months or so if I had known. We're still quite happy with the vehicle, and intend to keep it at least 5 years, probably longer if it proves to be as reliable as my research indicated."

Awesome Car!

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Excellent to drive, Great interior and exterior"

"I absolutely love this car. Best choice I've made and I am completely happy!"

Disappointing Test Drive

By on Sunday, June 01, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Handling, brakes, economy based on Mazda6 MPG"

Cons: "NOISE, No analog speedo, poor rear view"

"I have a short list of cars to test drive before I purchase. I do a lot of research online before the test drive. The Mazda 3 SGT was high on the list but previous experience of Mazda's had me concerned about road noise entering the cabin. As soon I left the dealer lot my concern was justified. Tire noise was noticeable at 30MPH. Using a sound meter I measured the levels at 50, 60 and 70MPH on the freeway. The freeway road surfaces in Oregon are coarse due to the use of studded tires. All three speeds measured over 81 dB. My present car a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT measured 79 dB on the same stretch of road. 80 dB is twice as load as 70 dB. My criteria was not to purchase if the sound level exceeded the Subaru. I told the salesperson the car had failed the test. She persuaded me to drive a CX -5. I did and the noise level was much better at an acceptable 75 dB. Apart from the noise I did not like the digital only Speedometer, but I did like the head up display. I liked the blind spot monitoring, but it seemed to be a bit sensitive. The warning went off as I merged back in to the right lane. Maybe I merge too soon. I did not like the sloping roof line on rear visibility or for load carrying, but it looks great on the outside. I did not test all the other features this model offers, but at over $30,000 Mazda needs to improve the noise insulation for me to consider it in the future. Based on the noise alone I would not recommend this car. Next test drive will be a MK 7 Golf GTI"

Love my new car!

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Great mpg, Fun to drive, great interior"

Cons: "cup holders, cd player at bottom of console"

"Bought a 2014 Touring Hatchback a little over a week ago. This is my second car after having an old 01 corolla for the last 8 years. This car in person is absolutely beautiful! Compared to many in it's class it is very mature looking. The interior is well set up. I don't have the navigation and I like how the radio is set up. The materials on the inside feel good and aren't cheap plastic looking. I like how the dash looks but sometimes reading the speedometer is hard when traveling at highway speeds because the dashes are small. On the highway it is surprisingly quiet and feels solid. Back roads it feels planted when going into curves and doesn't have much body roll. Having driven quite a bit city driving I have so far averaged about 33 mpg."

Best Vehicle Iv'e Owned To Date!

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

"To start off I purchased the 2014 Mazda 3 Sport grand Touring. My previous vehicle was the past generation 2010 Mazda Sport Grand Touring. First comes first, this new generation is absolutely fantastic! Everything about the car screams quality, fit and finish, and a company thats dedicated to their customers and really listens to what WE want in our cars. This car has exceeded every expectation I had including ones I didn't even know I should of had. The design is stunning, I get compliments everywhere I go and everyone seems to be amazed when they sit in my car and find out it's a Mazda. The interior quality is best in class, and it's worth every bit of the premium I paid for the GT version. The leather is soft and the red stitching really makes it pop. The dash design is awesome, and it takes queues from Audi, and Bmw. The ride quality is also very good, soft when it should be, and rough when you want to step on the gas. Fuel efficiently isn't something I really worry about since I have a lead foot but according to the car I am already getting better then my "old" Mazda. Now, I had the option to get the Audi or Bmw, but I kept having my doubts about so many complaints owners were having with their cars and it took me about since this car launched to officially decide to do away with the higher end cars and stick to Mazda. I am so glad I did because I know in the long run this car will have cheap maintenance and be very fun to drive without having to give up on those luxury features of todays times. The navigation infotainment system is really nice to use, the car looks great, drives great, is reliable, and will continue to put a smile on my face when I get inside and put it in drive. My suggestion is if you can afford the SGT model, I would definitely go for it you will not be disappointed and it's really worth what you pay for it. Highly recommend this car and I really appreciate whoever takes the time to read this novel of a review! Enjoy your Zoom Zoom everyone!"

Good driving dynamics but issues with navi

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Good driving dynamics, reponsive, fun to drive"

Cons: "could get little pricy, nav issue"

"First time purchasing Mazda cars. looks nice and many options (safety and convenience features) than similar vehicle class(small sedan). I got 2014 Mazda sGT with tech package. Great radar cruise control and high beam control, not to mention land departure warning system! high tech in a afforable small sedan. However, after 2000 miles (about 2 months after I purchased), I noticed auto-reboot on my nav unit while driving. It continued to do so until I completely shut off the car and restart. Mazda dealer updated the nav to a newer version. I thought it solved the problem. NO. It came back again. long story short. Now, 5500miles in 5 months of owning the vehicle, I visited my local dealer 4 times regarding nav problem. I know the manufacturer is still working on fixing the issue(s) with nav unit. get a car without Nav, then you'll be fine. little lower MPG than advertised with normal driving. (not spirited driving)"

best mazda 3 ever

By on Friday, April 11, 2014

"driving dynamics:responds to my feelings"

Excellent commute automobile

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, Bluetooth, infotainment, gas mileage"

"traded a 2010 Mazda 3i for a much more upgraded 2014 Mazda 3i SV sedan it has improved after 4 years its more safer and comfortable. The engine seems quieter and powerfully smooth in performance and controls are outstanding. I love the interior in bolstered seats with heated memory, remote start, blind spot warning, lane departure warning, TomTom navigation, Pandora capability, Bluetooth, rearview camera, LED lights and Infotainment center. The Mazda is sportier and drives very smooth with SKYACTIV technology engine it has on all the handling on this sporty compact sedan. Gas mileage is great on 41 mpg while being a business coworker its excellent on fuel economy just LOVE! LOVE! LOVE MY MAZDA ''ZOOM'' ''ZOOM'' its a very beautiful car looks like a Lexus from the rear end after driving a boring looking cheap vehicle I think Mazda has giving the 3i SV a more makeover on everything its more smooth in a awesome ride and controls are greater."

top notch