• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2012 Mazda MAZDA3

Based on 337 Ratings for the 2010 - 2013 models.

Poor man's BMW

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Great driving feel, Great fuel economy, Great tech"

Cons: "Road Noise"

"This car has been a great vehicle to own! I call this the "poor man's BMW" because it is far less to own than a BMW but it offers an amazing driving experience. There are a ton of tech toys (Xenon headlight with AFS, rain-sensing windshield wipers, NAV, Bose soundsystem) that make the overall value of this car amazing. The vehicle gets way better fuel economy than what I was expecting too. On long road trips, I average about 42MPG; in 55MPH zones I have gotten to 52MPG (and that isn't me trusting the computer, that is actual miles divided by total gallons used to fill up). Overall worksmanship and materials exceed other competitors. My only complaint is road noise...unbearable amounts of road noise. I've driven this car across the US twice and the road noise just eats at you like a fly that wont quit buzzing in your face. Overall, I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone needing a daily driver and who doesn't mind the road noise."

Great car with poorly designed seats

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "see the summary"

Cons: "see the summary"

"It's all in the summary"

I LOVE my MAZDA3

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, great gas mileage, good pick up"

Cons: "Bluetoth has trouble connecting on rare occasion"

"I've owned my MAZDA3 as my primary car for just about 2 years now, and it has been an awesome car! I commute 100 miles round trip each day, so I need a comfortable car which gets good gas mileage. My MAZDA3 has delivered on both of those points in spades. This sporty hatchback also provides enough trunk space and back seat room to allow me to take road trips with my wife and 2 young children (and occasionally our dog as well), with everyone staying comfortable and with enough room to go around. I have been completely happy with this car since the day I drove it off the lot!"

Best performance value

By on Sunday, May 04, 2014

Pros: "High performance with the utility of a hatchback"

Cons: "Hard acceleration produces torque steer."

"The 2010 to 2013 Mazdaspeed 3 is the best performance car value today. It is a very civilized car as well, so you can drive it hard or drive it easy depending on the situation. I like the fact that it’s not available as an automatic, unlike many performance-oriented cars. Driving a 6-speed manual these days really separates the men from the boys (sorry ladies). And I get great gas mileage on trips as a result. I don’t miss the sunroof. It adds weight and cost. As a hatchback with the special roof spoiler, it really sets it apart from the ho-hum Mazda3. And the 18” wheels look really great! People seem to notice them right away. Over the last 4 years, I have not had to visit the dealer for any problems, unlike a lot of more expensive brands. So I’m a happy camper. I’m also surprised at how well the trade-in value is today, around $17.5K in very good condition, according to the KBB."

Not a 10 as this is not an EVO but.....

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "very fun to drive, interior quality, and mods"

Cons: "smiley face"

"This car comes really close to it. I love this car. it's very modifiable. you can literally take this car and it will outperform in a heartbeat. my suggestion if buying this vehicle is to do some research on mazda speed forums. you will get all the info you need and on what to look for in a used as these cars could literally be beaten by someone who just doesn't know how to modify or just a bad owner. If i had to change something it would be the smiley face on it. but it's true to its nature as it will leave you smiling too."

See if you qualify for