2009 Mazda MAZDA3

Based on 1193 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Mazda 3s are the most underrated car on the market

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

Pros: "By far best car I have ever owned"

Cons: "I can't think of a single one"

"I bought my Mazda3 5 door 5 speed new in 2006. I drove it hard every day, putting on over 45,0000 miles per year. At 215,000 miles, I gave it to my son, who now gets to love it. I kept it so long because there was nothing wrong with it, I still loved it and I couldn't decide what else to buy. This car is amazing. At 225,000 miles it looks like new. It runs great with original engine (burns no oil) and transmission. There is not a single worn thread in the interior. It gets 29+ mpg even being driven hard. All I have EVER done to the car is brakes and clutch (130k miles), and A/C hose, front struts and fuel pump (200k miles). Else, just tires. I have never even put a new battery in it! An amazing, amazing "Zoom Zoom" car!"

Mazda Really Outdid Itself

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"Mazda and Ford truly wanted to lure some of the smaller economy car buyers. This car for the price and the perks out beats anything in its class (Honda or Toyota). The car doesn't get amazing gas mileage but it compensates with a very smooth engine with plenty of low end torque. Its very fun to drive and handles like a beauty. I am in love with this car and it has done nothing but impress me for a year and a half now. I have not had any problems what so ever and I have put on about 50K on it in very short period of time. The tiptronic transmission is fun on curvy roads and when you want to wake up a little on the long trips. Its very comfortable and practical. I added an MP3 player jack by myself it was so easy to modify without paying dealer fees. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for the long haul quality and comfort. You will get a great quality vehicle no doubt about it. Last thing my hatchback version almost feels like a pick up truck when you lower the back seats because you can fit so much stuff in the back its not like logically possible. I moved my whole apartment in like 2 loads and I had a lot of stuff. It is truly amazing. Enjoy."

Best Valued Car Ever

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"I've driven cheap sports cars and ultra-expensive exotic cars, and for my money the Mazda 3 is a great value. It's just a flat-out-fun-car that is cheap to drive (great gas mileage, low maintenance) and cheap to own ( affordable, low maintenance). Lots of interior perks, and just a great car... unless you want to rally. In that case, get a lancer or wrx"

Best In Class

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"Great car. Quick. Brakes hard. Handles great. Fun to drive. Great styling in and out. Nothing comes close to level of equipment in class. Zenon lights, rain sensing wipers, heated leather, stability control, etc. Best bang for your buck."

Great Value

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"I purchased this car a couple of years ago for an outside sales job and now have almost 100k miles on it. This car has never missed a beat. I doubt anyone has more miles on a 3 than I do so hopefully this is useful to you. The 3 best things I like about it are BMW like handling, better than average interior (for an entry level car) and rock solid reliabilty. Complaints a very few but here mine. The carpet is cheap, MPG is not at Honda or Toyota level (I average 29) and I wish I had purchased a 5 speed, this car was meant to have one."

Good And Bad

By on Wednesday, July 04, 2007

"I've had my '06 about a year and overall like the car. The GOOD...the styling, it looks better than the other hatchbacks...Peppy engine, excellent handling, very good interior styling and function. The BAD...weak air conditioning and noisy ride. It needs better isolation from road noise."

Mazda Got it right!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, Fuel efficency, Fun to drive and reliable"

Cons: "I didnt buy this car sooner!"

"I bought this vehicle with 163k miles on it knowing if anything went wrong with it i could fix it, yet the only thing ive had to replace on it was a Valve, $70. I tuned it up and serviced it myself and boy, i handles better than my CTS back in california, I love the Fuel efficiency and the "Pep" the 2.0L engine has. Dont be afraid of buying these with some extra miles, they keep kicking."

Great everyday vehicle!

By on Monday, December 24, 2007

"2006 3 S StratoBlue Automatic This is a great daily driver, A few great things I love: The gas mileage; I’ve down extensive testing with my car, the best I’ve gotten out of one tank is 32mpg, my avg. is 27mpg. It has a lot of pep and the styling is the best I’ve seen in a hatchback. The backseats are very comfortable, and the trunk has a lot of room. The included Speakers can handle a lot of power and sound very good for stock OEM speakers. The stock head unit looks great and fits the interior styling perfectly. A few things that I don’t like about it are: Non-self opening keyless Hatch; not only does the hatch not have a key hole, but it does not pop open after being unlocked like most other hatches. No in car hatch release; this goes along with it not self opening. The paint scratches very easily; it may be just the color but it is delicate. I have ruff callous finger tips and I have noticed over the time I’ve owned this car that my door handle is beginning to see small scratches. This is probably why Mazda has retired my StratoBlue, Lovely color, terrible quality. The Stock Stereo head unit is very under powered and does not have a subwoofer pre-out. Replacing it means breaking the design of the dash. Those are the only 3 problems I have with this car. And here’s a tip for those owners that don’t know! How to unlock Mazda 3's trip computer. 1. Press and hold down CD and AM/FM buttons 2. Start your car while still pressing down on those buttons 3. The display will read, "DIS ON" which means Driver Information System On. 4. Release the CD and AM/FM buttons 5. Turn off and restart the car 6. Now press the Set button and cycle through your avg. mpg, miles until empty, current mpg, and avg mph! 7. You can also hold down the Set button to reset any information Thanks to Andreas of Mazda3Forums"

keeps going and going

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

"i bought this car with 8,000 miles on it(2004). the car now has 246,000 miles . i had not one problem with this car runs like a champ it only had one tune up witch was replacing the plugs only that was done around the 200,000 mile mark. still have not replaced the belt no need to at this time nothing wrong with belt no wear, no missing teeth ,no cracks so for it looks great.this car is a little beast just keeps going and going . change oil to full synthetic after the 100,000 miles.since then just gas and go........"

"MY MAZDA SAVED MY LIFE"

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "GREAT GAS MILEAGE, DYNAMITE COMES IN SMALL PACKAGE"

Cons: "ABSOLUTELY "NO CONS""

"I HAD NEVER OWNED A MAZDA BEFORE THIS ONE & SO I HAD DONE ALOT OF RESEARCH ON ALL KINDS OF CARS THAT GOT GOOD GAS MILEAGE BUT ALSO I WANTED A CAR THAT DESPITE ITS SMALL SIZE COULD TAKE A HIT IF I WERE EVER IN AN ACCIDENT GOD FORBID. THE MAZDA 3I SEDAN BY FAR HAD THE BEST OVERALL RATINGS. UNFORTUNATELY IN FEB. 2013 I WAS INVOLVED IN A HIT AND RUN AND MY AMAZING LITTLE MAZDA WAS PUSHED INTO A CONCRETE WALL HEAD ON DOING ABOUT 60 MILES PER HOUR. WHEN THE POLICE ARRIVED ONE OF THEM TOLD ME HOW LUCKY I WAS TO EVEN BE ALIVE WITH THAT HIT. I ONLY HAD WHIPLASH AND OTHER THEN SORENESS I WAS COMPLETELY FINE, AND OF COURSE I HAD A SEATBELT ON! MY CAR WAS TOTALED, I WAS CRUSHED WHEN I HEARD THAT. I HIT THE WALL SO HARD THAT MY FRAME HAD COMPLETELY BENT TO THE INSIDE FACING BACKWARDS, MOTOR MOUNT BUSTED AND CRACKED FRAME. MY MAZDA WAS BUILT SO WELL THAT IT WAS ABLE TO WITHSTAND A 60 MILE PER HOUR HEAD ON WITH A CONCRETE WALL. I TRULY BELIEVE THIS CAR SAVED MY LIFE BECAUSE IF I HAD BEEN DRIVING OUR TRANS AM (WHAT WE SOLD TO GET THIS CAR AND WHAT I WOULD HAVE BEEN DRIVING WHEN I WAS WRECKED) I WOULD HAVE EITHER DIED OR BEEN CRITICALLY INJURED. I AM NOW A LOYAL MAZDA CUSTOMER AND AS SOON AS I SAVE THE MONEY I WILL BE BUYING ANOTHER ONE. YOURS TRULY BARB (TOLEDO OHIO)"

Great car for a fair price

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"This car has been a reliable, safe, good on gas little commuter with good gas mileage and firm handling. I have no beef with this car (Mazda 3s with Sport package HID lights and Tire Pressure Sensor 2004) I just changed the battery after 3.5 years but I live in South Fl where batteries don't last long at all! Put gas in, serviced every 4000 to 5000 miles and that's it. Changed the tires at 32000 miles so I have no complaints with it at all. I might need new rotors up front at 60k but that is again "above average". Its a quick/peppy car, not fast but handles turns and slalom like nothing else. I did my homework before I bought it, first year out, and its been a good experience. If you need a new car for 22k or less ... buy a Mazda 3s"

Second Mazda 3 I have owned. For many reasons

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "great price, great mpg, hardly any maintanence req"

After the wreck I mentioned. Can not show all damages, safe car!!

"In 2006 I bought a new Mazda 3. In 2008 I had a terrible accident that totaled my car. When the wrecker truck got there, the driver asked me which hospital the driver went to. He had no idea that I was the one that was driving. He said he has seen less car damage resulting in injuries, and even fatalities. Everything under my hood fell out of the bottom of the car, nothing came back in on me inside. None of my windows busted, my tires did not even deflate, and I could open my driver's side door to get out safely. Within a week, I bought a new 2008 Mazda 3. I still own this car. I have NEVER once taken it to the shop except for new tires and batteries. In 5 years, I would say that is outstanding for any vehicle. It gets great gas mileage. Safetey experienced first hand, and that is the reason I got a second one. I have no complaints about my Mazda3 and would suggest it to anyone looking for a great car."

After the wreck I mentioned. Can not show all damages, safe car!!

Extremely reliable car - 250 miles per week

By on Saturday, June 16, 2012

Pros: "Reliability , handling , power , and looks"

Cons: "Uncomfortable interior ,"

"I bought this car new from a dealership in 08 .After a year of test driving every compact Import it was the styling that sold me on the Mazda 3 . It has sports car power and handling , nice paint , and audio is great . The cons ?? Seating material is hard and irritating on bare skin . Seat comfort , especially on long trips is poor . I have 60000 miles now and it has been back to the dealership twice for recall work . Other than that no other problems . I also like to brag that the brake pads are original and still have twenty percent of the pad material left . If you are looking for a car that holds it's value , is attractive , fast , handles great and avoids the repair shop then this is the car you want ."

Great car, hate the black interior, cool

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "very roomy for a small car,"

Cons: "that black interior only option w/ Red."

"I have owned the mazda protege/3 series for over 21 yrs now, 5 cars, never had ANY mechanical issues other than routine maint. which I always keep up with. I run full synthetic oil after 1st oil change. They are the best running small cars around and a best kept secret except for us loyal owners! Now i see tons of them in demand....as used cars. sold my 2001 in 2011 for 7000.00 w/ 51000 miles. I could have sold it for more! The new smiley face has to go before I give up my 2006,"

I Loved My Lovely Orange Mazda3 5-door!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, value, looks amazing, safety"

Cons: "no aux outlet, bit shaky at high speeds"

"I think I would have had this car for many more years if I was given the chance. Sadly 2 weeks ago an ignorant driver hit me and totaled it :( I loved this car so much that I seriously cried because I wish I could keep it. Granted that I took very good care of it and the former owner adored the car and babyed it. It was very reliable on long road trips. The interior was luxurious and open. the high beams are amazing and light up everything in your path. The only problem I had was when the engine was shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It seemed to stuggle a bit but that was it and it wasn't a big deal. It responded well to the driver. The steering wheel is easy to move and if u have shaky hands like I do, you might be a bit shaky at high speeds. truthfully I loved this car. yes this was my first car but it was reliable and very good. Last but not least of course is this cars safety. I was hit hard, I spun, and ended up in a ditch but I didn't get one scratch or even a bruise. It was amazing. Truthfully this car saved my life."

Love, love this car!!

By on Monday, May 16, 2011

"This was a great purchase. I bought it new and I did a ton of research to get the best value for a car costing around $18-$20k. I compared the Honda civic and Toyota corolla, and this was the best all around. It is stylish, has decent gas mileage, is fun to drive, great handling, excellent features (ones that you wouldn't find on a similarly priced car). The funny thing is that when I bought the car, I knew more about the features than the dealership did! Being prepared really paid off. I have had my Mazda for about 5-6 years, its a 2006, and I have paid hardly anything out of pocket for maintenance. My yearly average for maintenance, including oil changes and major service has been only $250! I love it. It has been good to me for all these years. And even though its 6 years old, I still love the feeling I get when I drive it. I will own this car until it dies, which hopefully will be a long time. I have the Mazda 3s Touring 5-door hatchback version with 6-disc changer, moon/sunroof, 8 airbags. Paying a little bit extra for the sunroof was worth it, I use it all the time. The sound system is also excellent and clear. I can fit 5 adults in the car easily and everyone tells me how comfortable it is and how there is lots of leg and head room. My parents love being driven around in it--who wouldn't? My only complaints are that I'm 5'10", so there is only about a 2-3inch head clearing for me. But I don't have any problems with legroom (the lumbar support and seat height adjustments are wonderful, especially on long trips). I wish the car had better mileage, I get about 24-25mpg city and 29-31 highway. Its not bad, though. Also, I have a hard time seeing out of the front side between the driver window and windshield, the molding seems to be a little thick and I find myself turning my head to look around it. Sometimes it hides pedestrians, so I just have to be aware of that when I'm in the city. Having the split rear seats is great in the hatchback, and you can remove the shelf in the trunk. I have moved lots of furniture (large bookcases) with no problems at all. I would say the things that I love most about my car are the affordability, styling, amount and quality of features, gas mileage is decent, versatile, comfortable, fun to drive ("zoom-zoom"), turn radius. I think there are more things, but I don't remember them right now. I would definitely consider buying this model again, although I'm not too fond of the 2009+ models exterior styling. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this car to anyone."

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"I have had this car for a couple months now and it is awsome! I did tons of research and every site and car magazine i read said it was best in it's class and now i understand why. I wanted NOTHING that performed like my 97' Altima, i didn't even want 4 doors. I test drove the Honda Civic Coupe and the Scion TC. The Mazda 3 gave me the best of both worlds. The comfort of the Civic with the performance of the TC, plus the reliability and re-sale value matched the Honda's and Toyota's as well. I never thought i would buy a sedan but here we are. I would recommend this car to anybody!"

I have never gone wrong with a Mazda

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "good value, fun to drive, no problems"

Cons: "gas mileage not quite what I hoped for - 28 mpg"

"This is my third Mazda and I have always been very happy with them. Only one service issue in 5 years. This car is very dependable, fun to drive, easy to keep. And it seems to be holding it's value. I would buy Mazda's over and over again."

decent vehicle overall

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "great value, fun to drive, fast little car"

Cons: "a tad bit small and under-powered"

"I bought my 06 Mazda 3 2.3 hatchback about 2 years ago only because of the amazing deal I got on it. At the time I bought it I paid 5k for a car that blue booked at almost 10k so hence why I couldn't pass up this deal. It only had just under 72k miles on it which was another good thing as well. When I first bought it I was very skeptical about the car cause I am normally a GM vehicle type of guy and really don't care for foregin cars too much. But now that I have been driving it for the last few years I must say that this car is an amazibng fun little car. I have driven it all over the place and put on just over 45k miles and havent really had too much of replacing to do to the vehicle besides the usual things like new tires and transmission/oil changes. Overall I must say that this car has treated me well and am very happy with it!!"

Zippy, roomy and reliable

By on Friday, April 13, 2012

Pros: "Speed, handling, styling, space"

Cons: "Road noise, dodgy factory tires"

"The 2004 Sleek Black Beauty was my first new car, at age 39, bought after careful consideration and a prominent consumer reporting agency's glowing recommendation. My 3 is still speedy and fun to drive. No maintenance beyond oil changes and a new battery last year. I like that I can fit my road bike in the back. It's an excellent blend of style, economy and practicality. The stock tires were worthless in anything but dry conditions. Road noise is pronounced, especially if you like driving with the windows down, as normal people do."

Outstanding vehicle

By on Sunday, October 14, 2007

"I bought a 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback in June, 2006, and couldn't be happier more than a year later. Even with every option in the Grand Touring edition, including navigation, the car cost less than 25k--what a steal! And you get so much more in this vehicle than in comparably priced cars. It is zippy, handles exceptionally well, and has a great sound system and outstanding interior design features. I am not getting the mileage other drivers are reporting--the best I get is 26-27mpg and I do almost entirely freeway driving (although often in traffic)--but I still think the fuel economy is good. The only additional bell and whistle I would like are power seats which I do not think were available in the 2006. I also strongly prefer a soft trunk cover to the hard shell tonneau that comes with this vehicle. It is difficult to take in and out and to store so you really have to plan ahead if you think you'll need the full rear space. On the plus side, when it isn't there and the back seats are flat, you'll be amazed at how much fits in this car! My two huge dogs and luggage easily fit for a weekend escape. Our other car is a Lexus RX, but we always drive the Mazda if we're going somewhere together. They aren't kidding about the zoom-zoom. This car is way more fun to drive than the Lexus."

best car ever owned

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"Where to begin. This car is sexy. And it handles really well, while still getting good gas mileage. And durable! I had a guy hit me this winter, and put me in a wall at 60mph on the interstate. One little dent in the fender, and a new bumper later, I'm pretty much good as new. Any other sedan in that class would have accordianed beyond repair. Why anyone would look at a Corolla or Civic when this car is on the market is beyond me. And you'll notice I don't even consider the Cobalt or any of those domestic 'competitors'. I'm sorry, I've driven them all, researched them all, and none can hold a candle to the 3 for the money in its class. Only complaint: why can't they make the mazdaspeed in a sedan???? Do you hear me Mazdaspeed????"

A real driver's car

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"I traded in my almost-new Miata for this sedan, because my daughter would be sharing it with me and she was uncomfortable with a manual. I liked the idea of the Tiptronic-type transmission and I was not disappointed--it's almost as good as a stick shift for everyday driving, in many ways better. The engine is every bit as responsive as my Miata's, and the handling is the best I've ever experienced with a FWD. The SP edition adds leather and heated seats plus a sun roof and multi-disc CD-player, all of which I've used and enjoyed. The seating is supportive and comfortable and the heated seats are great for winter driving. Mileage has been about 26 mpg overall, and I have a pretty heavy foot. If there is any quibble at all, it would be that road noise can be intrusive over rough raods--but not around town. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable and commfortable sedan that also gets up and moves on command. I miss the Miata at times, but mostly for the convertible top and occasional rallying. Otherwise, the Miata3 was a perfect choice, and at 38,000 miles I have not had one complaint. Good job, Mazda!"

Love this car

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, gas mileage, quality interior"

"I've had this car 10 years, and still love it. The interior looks new. It runs perfectly. It's been in the shop only for regular maintenance. This model year has kind of a Volvo S40 look, which I like a lot better than the sporty, muscular style of the newer Mazda 3s. My only gripe - I'm starting to see a bit a rust on one of the back wheel wells. Highly recommend this car."

Ran over 75+ miles M-F

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and 30 mpg"

Cons: "Mats wear out too quickly"

"Very sporty, very very reliable. My 4th Mazda in a row! I love my Mazdas. Just wish they had a small truck. It is economical and the biggest bang for your buck compared to Honda and Toyota. One time all my belts shredded and the car still got me to the mechanic about 3 miles away. It was hot and I hoped I didn't warp the heads. 2 belts replaced and I was back on the road again. Only thing I have replaced is tires, belts brakes and batteries. Maintain with tune ups and oil changes and you will have a loyal friend. Did I mention 30 mpg!"