2009 Mazda MAZDA3

Based on 1178 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Overall satisfied

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "good look and interior"

Cons: "mechanical issues are one right after the other"

"At 176,000 miles, The interior is still in great shape.I had and have the following issues mechanically. 1) shifter lights turns off for weeks then come back on. 2) the a/c died at 90,000 and was rebuilt. Always have had to put in on 3 out of 4 to be comfortable. 3) The drivers side window won't roll down. 4) The bearings in the axles are grinding. 5) The check engine light came on and has been worked on and a month later came on again. I love this car and hate to trade it in, but i can't invest anymore money into it."

Fun and economical

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable, cheap to operate, fun to drive"

Cons: "Early rust, small back seat and trunk, noisy"

"It's a great little car overall. I've had mine for 9 years and it has never left me stranded or burned a hole in my wallet on repairs. Gas mileage with the 2.0 engine is very good overall, I average 29 in mostly city driving. The car is a blast to drive on winding roads (make sure you get performance tires!) but still practical as a daily commuter car. It started rusting at around 5 years but we use cheap corrosive road salt in Michigan so that is partly to blame. A bigger trunk opening would be nice and the back seat is a little cramped for adults. It is a noisy car at highway speed but the stereo drowns it out nicely. I would gladly buy another but my growing family needs more room than a compact car offers."

Great, Sporty Car

By on Friday, June 21, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, sporty, value"

"This is a great car for the single person or married couple that don't need lots of cargo room. I drive the 5-speed manual version, and it has lots of "get up and go" with the 2.3L engine. Handling is excellent. I think the Mazda 3 has a nicer look and feel than most other cars in its class. The reason for an "8" on interior/exterior is that the plastic the glove box and doors are made of scratches rather easily. I've put 52,000 miles on this car since I purchased it with 51,000 on it, and have had no breakdowns or mechanical issues, aside from normal wear-and-tear items being replaced. It's never let me down! I have to ding it for gas mileage -- for a small 4-cylinder vehicle, it only gets 28 or so in mixed driving, 31 or 32 on long highway trips."

I just love Mazdas!

By on Sunday, June 09, 2013

Pros: "Handling, solid feel, comfort."

Cons: "Rattle in rear suspension."

"Have had this for over two years now. It runs great with no issues. I am an ocd person in regards to maintenance and this car has only had oil and atf fluid changes. It is comfortable, fairly quiet, and generally a nice place to be when on the road. Yeah, it does have a rattle somewhere in the rear suspension, but that's about it for any problems. It handles very well and is fun to drive. I use full synthetic oil and atf, yet I get only about 31 mpg highway and 25 mpg city. With a 2.0 liter I expected a bit better, but that's not a major complaint. I had a 1991 Protege that was also a car that somehow came across as very well built and tight fitting. Just a solid car...I'm very excited to see the diesel engine in the 3 as this car would kick some butt and get great fuel economy to boot. Great car!"

Well worth the money

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Safety, sporty, roomy, great gas mileage, fun."

Cons: "wiper settings minimal"

"The Mazda3 is a great car for the conservative wanting to save money on gas and maintenance, for the new teenage that parents want to ensure their safety while giving their child the fun edgy look that teens want, and for the everyday errand family. The interior is nice but not overwhelming like some of the vehicles today (it looks like a car, not a space ship). Red Illumination to tell you your MPH, RPM's, radio. Steering wheel offers convenient access to volume, pre-set stations and mute. Safety galore. I purchased this after an accident in an SUV and needed to feel 'safe.' Car has good control & handling, large side mirrors, no blind spots, and 8 airbags, including drop down airbags from the window. Car is roomy, even in the back seat. the trunk easily fits sports gear AND suitcases/bags. Very large for the size car. Gas mileage has always been in low 30's for me. As silly as it sounds the only thing I wish the vehicle had is more settings with the windshield wiper. It's either very slow or very fast and no where in between. I find myself more often just pushing it manually as needed."

Perfect!

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "gas mileage, fun to drive, sporty"

Cons: "power when AC is running"

My baby :)

"Bought this car in April 2012 & loved every minute of owning it. Very sporty like & great gas mileage for the tank size. First time owning a Mazda, had a Toyota Celica before & a Honda Accord & to be honest I prefer the Mazda over both. Lacks the power of the VTEC motor but still an amazing little car. Peppy & handles amazing. Just put 17 inch rims & tires on it 2 months ago & you'd never know the difference. I love my Mazda & plan on keeping it for a long time!"

My baby :)

Second Mazda 3 I have owned. For many reasons

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "great price, great mpg, hardly any maintanence req"

After the wreck I mentioned. Can not show all damages, safe car!!

"In 2006 I bought a new Mazda 3. In 2008 I had a terrible accident that totaled my car. When the wrecker truck got there, the driver asked me which hospital the driver went to. He had no idea that I was the one that was driving. He said he has seen less car damage resulting in injuries, and even fatalities. Everything under my hood fell out of the bottom of the car, nothing came back in on me inside. None of my windows busted, my tires did not even deflate, and I could open my driver's side door to get out safely. Within a week, I bought a new 2008 Mazda 3. I still own this car. I have NEVER once taken it to the shop except for new tires and batteries. In 5 years, I would say that is outstanding for any vehicle. It gets great gas mileage. Safetey experienced first hand, and that is the reason I got a second one. I have no complaints about my Mazda3 and would suggest it to anyone looking for a great car."

After the wreck I mentioned. Can not show all damages, safe car!!

most reliable car ever

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "handling, price, reliability, durability"

Cons: "rear toe out, uneven rear tire wear, poor windows"

"this car has tken me all over the united states. Ive put some punishing miles on it, sometimes driving for over 24 hours straight. My little car has never once left me on the side of the road. even though it is time to replace it, I would love to have another. I have (not bragging) hit more animals than I care to count and still the car came back for more. I live in rural NC and have terrible luck with deer. still though. Car is tough as nails and reliable.reliable.reliable. If I had to do it over again all I would change is the color. I had the blueish purple color."

I would not recommend a mazda to anyone.

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Cons: "Too many things not designed to last. Maintenance"

"Quite the contrary. I would never consider a mazda again. I bought my mazda brand new. As the dealer was handing me the keys I said something about the low profile tires and he responded that they would wear out every 20,000 miles. Wear out---haha- the slightest bump and they are done--- but he was right -they do wear out that quickly too-right around 18000. I have literally had to put 12 plus tires on the car in less than 4 years. The headlight on the drivers side has blown 4 times. the one on the passenger side has been replaced twice. My daughter, my husband and my son have all gotten tickets for the headlight being out. So not only is it inconvenient but it gives the police a reason to pull you over. Just what I want with 3 young drivers in the house. Every time I turn around I am fixing stuff that should last A WHOLE LOT longer. Now the tire sensor fell off of the drivers side front tire and the tire guy told us that the one on the passenger side is about to go too. My husband said these sensors are about $150 a piece. These are things that I never experienced with a brand new car before. I didn't have to replace my tires on any other new vehicle I own before 65000 for wear and tear and I have never had the sensors fall off or had to replace them EVER! As for the headlights, I don't even think I have replaced that many on all my other vehicles combined. I am a family of 5 so we understand vehicle maintenance. Our Mazda is the newest vehicle in our lot but the most expensive maintenance wise. And the interior of the car is shoddy. The biggest thing for me is that carpet keeps pulling away from the sidewall but there is other small stuff as well. It's ridiculous that I have had to spend so much money on maintenance for a car this new."

Great gas efficiency & reliable

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fuel efficient, nice body"

Cons: "average stereo system, no leather seats"

"3 year owner of Mazda 3 and very happy with no issues to report. Great fuel efficiency has saved me lots of money at the pump. Was going to trade it in for a bigger car since I have 2 kids, but decided to keep it for my commuter car. I tinted the back windows and now it's perfect! Seat come down in back to make a bigger trunk."

Best car ever.

By on Thursday, May 02, 2013

Pros: "reliable and fuel efficient"

Cons: "back seat isn't really big enough for grown ups"

"Great gas mileage, no serious repairs in almost 150,000 miles, drives like a go cart( so much fun) and reasonably priced. I got this car new and have loved it. I've owned Audi's and Acura's that both almost put me in the poor house with repairs and premium gas but neither of those cars could compare to my little Mazda 3!"

decent vehicle overall

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "great value, fun to drive, fast little car"

Cons: "a tad bit small and under-powered"

"I bought my 06 Mazda 3 2.3 hatchback about 2 years ago only because of the amazing deal I got on it. At the time I bought it I paid 5k for a car that blue booked at almost 10k so hence why I couldn't pass up this deal. It only had just under 72k miles on it which was another good thing as well. When I first bought it I was very skeptical about the car cause I am normally a GM vehicle type of guy and really don't care for foregin cars too much. But now that I have been driving it for the last few years I must say that this car is an amazibng fun little car. I have driven it all over the place and put on just over 45k miles and havent really had too much of replacing to do to the vehicle besides the usual things like new tires and transmission/oil changes. Overall I must say that this car has treated me well and am very happy with it!!"

Excellent Car

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pros: "fund to drive, reliable, value"

Cons: "road noise, tire wear"

"I bought this car new back in 2007 (left over 2006 model). At that time the competition was lacking. Mazda offered a smart looking car with good interior for the price plus a sporty fun drive. Reliability has been great. I have only had wear parts replaced. I even have the stock battery still! I have driven from PA to Oklahoma a couple times with the car overloaded with furniture and luggage, I have driven it on harsh dirt/muddy/rocky mountain "roads" (work demands), and city roads. I did replace the sprockets but I blame that on myself for taking a definite street car on mountain trails usually reserved for jeeps, 4X4 lifted trucks, and bulldozers (I worked on gas drilling pads. The tires for the 17" wheels are an odd size so they tend to be slightly pricey, but brakes and rotors are cheap enough. The only alterations I've made is installing a K&N air filter (NOT a cold-air intake) and I am getting 31mpg on my country road commute. (Note I have the manual transmission) The biggest issue with the car is road noise and tire wear. The car is designed to have a sporty feel, so rear tires are set from factory with an aggressive camber which will tires faster if you don't rotate regularly. It is a rough drive compared to my wife's 2007 Volvo, but that's hardly a fair comparison. Gears on the manual are close together. You can tell it was developed in Japan where the highway speeds tend to stay under 60mph. The car will reach 113(its e-limited) and cruises easily at 80, but you'll wish you had another gear to improve the gas mileage at those speeds My dash has developed a crack in the very front plastic dash panel. Probably wouldn't notice it if the plastic wasn't lighter in the middle then the surface (black interior), and one of the climate control nobs stop illuminating. Other than that, its good as new, if you ignore the cosmetic damage I've incurred by pretending I was driving a pickup with a 12" lift kit."

Love my Mazda3

By on Friday, April 19, 2013

Pros: "Drives like a sports car, stickshift is most fun"

Cons: "Interior trunk release doesn't work"

"I bought my 2009 Mazda 3 iTouring 4D sedan used in 2011. The car was in excellent condition, almost like brand new but much cheaper. I drive the manual transmission. If you can drive a stickshift, get a Mazda 3 with a manual transmission - it's like driving a sports car. I prefer a stickshift and it's getting harder & harder to find good cars with stickshifts. It was easier to find a Mazda with a stickshift. I test drove other Mazda 3's that were base models (no electronic doors, windows etc) but I prefer all of the bells & whistles of iTouring edition. I love my car. It drives great, runs great and is probably the best car I've ever owned. I selected the Mazda 3 because the interior was so roomy, I love all of the features & because it had a manual transmission. I researched many cars and poured through the annual car issue of Consumer Reports, which gave high reviews to the Mazda 3 (as new & as a used vehicle). The glove box is very roomy & the trunk has a lot of room although you couldn't tell it by looking at it from the outside. The only downsides are that the tire pressure sensors have had to be replaced on most tires (which may be due to the car or the fact that the roads I drive on are in such terrible condition). The interior trunk release doesn't work anymore & I can only open the trunk with the button on the remote. Overall, I would highly recommend this car."

I've really enjoyed this car

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "very responsive if you're a smart driver"

Cons: "needs interior trunk handle;"

"and so have all my passengers, rear and front! Great handling, comfort. If I stick to the speed limit, I consistently get 40 mpg on the highway. City - 27."

Best car I have ever owned, and I'm 60 years old.

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Solid sporty feel good power, great handling"

Cons: "Harsh ride over bumps, mediocre stereo"

2005 Mazda 3s 5-door. As fun on the freeway ramps as it is in the 2-lane twisties.

"This car is for serious driving, yet is a comfortable around town ride with flexible interior space for stuff. Ride is firm. Acceleration is very good for the segment. Sport seats are confortable and supportive when working a challenging road (only driver's has lumbar) and made of good durable fabric. Interior materials don't feel cheap. Instruments and controls are well-placed for driving. Gearbox is very positive and engine revs smoothly to redline in each gear. Feels solid and in control to 100 mph on 2 lane. Steering well-balanced for road feel. Handling is car's forte with British designed suspension tuned at Mazda's Hiroshima test facility. Stickered for under 19k in 2005. Shortcomings: ride can be harsh over bad pavement. Stock stereo needs upgraded. Interior can be noisy at speed."

Excellent sporty hatch back for the money

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "Unbelievably reliable, handling, fast enough!"

Cons: "Center console intrusive, cheap materials."

"I cross-shopped everything in it's class, and 5 years later I've still very happy with my purchase. Typically unbelievable Japanese reliability--only one service in 5 years/66,000 miles, for a broken rear shock. Cheap and easy fix. The car handles as well as anything out there, and has plenty of power for a small, non-turbo car. 0-60 in 7.5 sec. Not bad! My only real complaint is the center console intrudes into the driver leg tunnel, and my right knee/shin bumps into it constantly. Over a long trip it gets annoying. But that is a minor complaint. Also, some materials are just too cheap. I had some body work literally fall off, since they are held on by small plastic clips. Definitely cost-cutting there. And the interior materials are relatively cheap, with hard plastics everywhere. But hey--it's a cheap car! I paid $21,000 for it new, and it's loaded with every option except navigation and auto (I prefer a stick). The transmission is excellent, as is the throttle response and razor sharp, pinpoint handling. While there a are definitely 'better' cars out there, FOR THE MONEY, you can't beat this if you want a versatile 'hot' hatch. Gas mileage is also lagging, getting about 27 on the hwy (not good for a small car), but at least it runs on regular fuel! Overall, despite some demerits, it's an exceptional small car."

I love this car.

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "Great price. Fun to drive. Decent economy."

Cons: "Road noise. Firm ride. Expensive tires."

"This has been a great car. Fast, reliable, and fun to drive. Pretty good mileage if you're gentle with the right foot. I think for the money, this has been an excellent car. It's got a little more road noise than I'd like, but that's my only complaint."

Love this little big car!

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Pros: "Everything."

Cons: "couldve done some tweaking in the interior 4 MS3."

"My first Mazda, my speed3. Awesome car, dependable and trustworthy with an awesome twist. All the hp you get and the mpg's you get, simply cant beat the quality. Cant get any better. I will definitely be looking at Mazdas again in the future but I wont be getting rid of my Littlebig car. For you speed3 owners, you know what I mean when I say LittleBig car. Buy one if you can get your hands on one."

"MY MAZDA SAVED MY LIFE"

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "GREAT GAS MILEAGE, DYNAMITE COMES IN SMALL PACKAGE"

Cons: "ABSOLUTELY "NO CONS""

"I HAD NEVER OWNED A MAZDA BEFORE THIS ONE & SO I HAD DONE ALOT OF RESEARCH ON ALL KINDS OF CARS THAT GOT GOOD GAS MILEAGE BUT ALSO I WANTED A CAR THAT DESPITE ITS SMALL SIZE COULD TAKE A HIT IF I WERE EVER IN AN ACCIDENT GOD FORBID. THE MAZDA 3I SEDAN BY FAR HAD THE BEST OVERALL RATINGS. UNFORTUNATELY IN FEB. 2013 I WAS INVOLVED IN A HIT AND RUN AND MY AMAZING LITTLE MAZDA WAS PUSHED INTO A CONCRETE WALL HEAD ON DOING ABOUT 60 MILES PER HOUR. WHEN THE POLICE ARRIVED ONE OF THEM TOLD ME HOW LUCKY I WAS TO EVEN BE ALIVE WITH THAT HIT. I ONLY HAD WHIPLASH AND OTHER THEN SORENESS I WAS COMPLETELY FINE, AND OF COURSE I HAD A SEATBELT ON! MY CAR WAS TOTALED, I WAS CRUSHED WHEN I HEARD THAT. I HIT THE WALL SO HARD THAT MY FRAME HAD COMPLETELY BENT TO THE INSIDE FACING BACKWARDS, MOTOR MOUNT BUSTED AND CRACKED FRAME. MY MAZDA WAS BUILT SO WELL THAT IT WAS ABLE TO WITHSTAND A 60 MILE PER HOUR HEAD ON WITH A CONCRETE WALL. I TRULY BELIEVE THIS CAR SAVED MY LIFE BECAUSE IF I HAD BEEN DRIVING OUR TRANS AM (WHAT WE SOLD TO GET THIS CAR AND WHAT I WOULD HAVE BEEN DRIVING WHEN I WAS WRECKED) I WOULD HAVE EITHER DIED OR BEEN CRITICALLY INJURED. I AM NOW A LOYAL MAZDA CUSTOMER AND AS SOON AS I SAVE THE MONEY I WILL BE BUYING ANOTHER ONE. YOURS TRULY BARB (TOLEDO OHIO)"

Love it!

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Fun, practical, great price"

Cons: "I truly struggle to find any..."

"This vehicle has delivered on SO many levels! I love driving it whether I'm going to the grocery store or on a long road trip. The road feel and driving experience is unbeatable in that its handling is fantastic (quick to respond but not jerky, nimble but not twitchy), the braking is quick to respond yet very smooth and easy to control, and the power is sporty enough to pass with confidence while maintaining smooth acceleration whether stopped or moving. I've been a valet driver and am confident in saying that it compares to the highest quality cars and has actually put some high end vehicles to shame in some respects. The interior comfort is great and the styling has never grown old. With the rear seats down, it can hold an impressive amount of cargo and it's easy to pop up and down as needed. This car is practical and stylish while being the perfect middle ground of economy and luxury. Reviews are always positive and I couldn't agree more. It's been a car that I will never forget!"

Awesome value! You get more than you pay for.

By on Thursday, March 07, 2013

Pros: "Great price, handles and drives great, quality car"

Cons: "Dash cracks, rear tire wear"

"I bought this car new in Jan 2004. I was a little skeptical about buying a first year model, but it was about $4,000 less than similarly equipped cars in its class, and had more torque and power. I have the optional leather interior, which still looks new and has held up much better than much more expensive vehicles that I've owned (no cracking, etc). This car drives and handles just as we'll as cars priced much higher (I drove a friends BMW 3 series, and this car drives better). I'll list the con's of the car, everything else about it is great: - The only mechanical/electrical issue it had was the temp sender at about 110,000 miles, which I easily replaced myself for the cost of parts, which was about $40. - The dash cracked after about 2 years, and was replaced under warranty. The replacement dash also cracked after about 2 years. It was a common problem, so I'm sure Mazda has fixed the issue by now. - The rear wheels are set at about 3 degrees negative camber for handling, which causes the tires to wear quickly on the inside, especially if not rotated regularly. - If you aren't short, your right knee will probably rest on the edge of the console, which gets a little uncomfortable on long trips. Those are the only issues I can think of. I currently have over 135,000 miles on it, and it still runs like new. I wouldn't be surprised if it would go over 300,000 miles. I have recommended this car to many friends. The only reason I won't get another one is because I never get the same model car more than once (although I've seriously considered getting another Mazda 3. Buy it, you won't regret it."

Amazing Car

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Quality, Interior, Comfort, Design..."

"I bought this car to get out of my 2008 Civic. This mazda has been so amazing and fun to drive and reliable as you can get. I have only had a few problems, faulty power steering, bad front wiper motor, and bad batteries. But everything was covered by warranties and recalls so they were no cost to me. With my high mileage, she still drives like the day I bought her. :) I love my mazda and I definitely plan to buy a new model :) I say its worth it to buy a mazda!"

I love this car

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

Pros: "Cute, reliable, economical, versatile, roomy"

Cons: "Headlight bulbs are *impossible* to change"

It goes anywhere and looks good doing it

"Bought it new in 2008 after totaling a subaru. This car, when equipped with good tires, has better traction on snow and snow-packed roads than the subaru had - it's heavy for its size and clings to the road like a lead slug. I routinely drive it on dirt, rocky, washboard and borderline high-clearance roads. I have over 110k miles on it and the only non-routine-maintenance I've had to do were to replace a couple of faulty heater hoses and (no surprise here) replace the engine mounts due to the roads I've driven it on. I have the cheapest model with the smallest engine and manual transmission and average about 42 mpg in the summer and 38 in the winter. The trunk is huge - I car-camp in it at least 10 times a year and have no problem stowing all the camping and hiking gear easily. If you fold down the rear seat you can easily fit 8 foot lumber in it - I've even transported 10-foot pieces, (although the trunk would not latch). My skis live in the trunk in the winter. The only complaints I have are (1) you need a PhD in electrical engineering to change the headlight bulbs which seem to go out with alarming frequency (2) if you get a purple one with black dashboard you need AC because it gets ungodly hot (3) it's difficult to get under the car to change the oil and the plastic undercarriage protector is difficult to maneuver during the process (4) the interior dome light in the middle of the car (not the ones up front) stopped working - the fixture does not work. To me, these things are minor compared with the general cuteness, reliability and ease of driving. I still drive a 1986 Mazda truck that I bought new, and I will likley keep this car forever and would buy another Mazda in a second."

It goes anywhere and looks good doing it

Perfect combo of sporty, economical, and useful.

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, luxury features, and good price."

Cons: "Wish I'd gotten the white one, it looks great."

Driving bliss

"When shopping for our first car together, my wife and I were looking for the perfect combination of sporty, economical, and useful. In addition, she insisted on 4 doors. We considered the Mazda3 wagon, along with the Subaru WRX wagon, the Jetta wagon, the Matrix XRS, and a couple others. In the end, we could afford a used Subaru WRX, or for the same price a brand new Mazda3 Grand Touring with heated leather bucket seats, sliding moonroof, premium bose audio, and in-dash nav. The Mazda was an easy choice, and we've loved it since then. I get compliments on it all the time from guys that know cars. It's a very fun car to drive, gets good mileage, and has been perfect for us and our two dogs. I don't have any complaints."

Driving bliss