2006 Mazda MAZDA3

Based on 1188 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Terrific Car.

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Fast, responsive, good handling, nice styling"

Cons: "Road noise, leg room"

"I had owned a 2000 Honda Civic EX that I traded in for the 2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback. The Honda is underpowered compared to the Mazda. For a car its size, the Mazda 3 Hatchback 2.3L engine has excellent acceleration, and much more torque than the Civic EX. I cannot imagine what the even faster Mazda Speed 3 is like with its extra 100 hp! The handling of my Mazda is excellent. "Zoom-Zoom" may be an advertising slogan, but it's a pretty honest one when describing the Mazda 3 Hatch back. My only criticisms of this car are the leg room (I'm 6'2"), and the road noise (common to most small cars). Also, with the more powerful engine, the Mazda 3's gas mileage is lower than the Civic's, but still very good. I would not hesitate to buy another Mazda 3 Hatchback...although, I prefer the styling of my '07 to the new 2014 model. Anyway...I intend to keep this one forever. It's a torquey little beast!"

Very reliable...good mileage..exc. handling

By on Friday, August 23, 2013

"A great value for an economy car"

Really great car!

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great handling & gas mileage."

Cons: "Interior could be a little more modern."

"This is the first brand new car I've ever owned. It's 5 years old, it's reliable & I've never had any major issues the whole time I've had it. Unfortunately, I'll be trading it in for an SUV as it doesn't suit my needs anymore. :( Being a mom & a homeowner now I need a larger vehicle, but I definitely would recommend this car to anyone looking for a sporty sedan that's fun to drive, great on gas, & just an all around great experience."

I LOVE this car!

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive. Good placement of dials."

Cons: "I can't think of anything I would change."

"This car is so much fun to drive. I never get tired of it. I suppose I couldn't give it a total 10 out of 10 for comfort since you feel the bumps in the road with the sport version, but the maneuverability really makes up for it! I totally understand the "zoom zoom" motto Mazda has promoted through the years. We have never had any problems with this car. 108,000 miles and still going strong. I also appreciate the simple things like knowing where the volume and speed controls are without having to look at them because they are designed intuitively and not over-designed. It is the best car we have ever had."

I definitely recommend this vehicle!

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: "Performance and handling are GREAT!"

Cons: "Fuel economy. Not bad, but it could be better."

"I've always been a Mazda fan, albeit my dream car is a BMW, but I really like this car. Performance and handling are GREAT for an aggressive driver like me! Driver seating is very good and flexible. Interior room is VERY spacious, especially with the split fold-down rear seat (you can't imagine how much cargo I've been able to load in it). The only downside is fuel economy. It's not bad, but it could be better. Understand Mazda has addressed this problem with newer models with their "Skyactvi" technology. It's definitely a car I would recommend."

Great car for the money

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

Pros: "nimble, light, good sound system, hatchback"

Cons: "suspension system - requires replacement early"

"I own a G37coupe by infiniti, an acura TL, and the 3hatchback. I'm happy with all three cars but the mazda is just a fun little car. it's light, nimble, comfortable, and the hatchback makes it very versatile. for the people considering this car, I highly recommend it."

Fun and reliable!

By on Friday, July 19, 2013

Pros: "Affordable, fun, gas sipper, reliable"

"I have owned this vehicle for almost 5 years and it has never let me down. It's super fun to drive, and fuel efficient (32-35mpg highway and 29 city). At 110,000 miles it still runs as it did when I drove it off the lot. No major mechanical issues have occurred as a result of daily maintenance. Only downside is comfort, for a tall person like myself, those long drives can become a bit crampy! But for the fuel efficiency this vehicle offers, I can live with the cramped space! I love this car so much."

Zoom zoom

By on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pros: "Performance and value with dependability"

Cons: "Not very comfortable for long trips"

"Great car only a few minor mechanical problems fuel pump went out @30000 miles covered by warranty thankfully. Thermostat had to be replaced @50000, and having motor mounts replaced now @115000 miles other than that runs great and still performs after ten years of ownership best car I've owned and still looks sheek and stylish. Plus great fuel economy with nice engine performance to go with it @ 140 hp with 25-30mpg. Still better than most of its competitors of 2004 best seller."

Amazing Little Car

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Reliable."

"I've owned my Mazda 3S since I bought it new in 2005. This car is a lot of fun to drive, it's reliable, and fast.I don't really have anything bad to say about the vehicle, although some Mazda dealerships like to take the customer for a service ride, as very little goes wrong with the vehicle itself."

Great for a cheap car to get around

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pros: "good mpg, fun to drive, nice interior, good handli"

Cons: "a little goofy looking on older models"

"im 17 and my first car is an 07 mazda 3 hatchback 2.3 liter we got off craigslist. I think its a great car, handles real well, almost like you'd expect from a sports car but its coming from a cheap little economical car. Gas milage is ok, around 22.3 mpg, according to the computer average (although new ones are supposedly around 36 or something). Interior looks great, pretty spacious for a small car, although back seat is tight if you are hauling your friends everywhere. The engine accelerates alright, like you'd expect from a four cylinder, nothing special but works for me. Stereo sounds great coming from a stock system. Manual mode works fine, shifts when you tell it to and you can bring it up to redline and it wont automatically shift for you (although i never really use it because it is pretty pointless without a clutch). Only problems I have had with it so far is the plastic skidplate (if thats what you'd call it) has come unbolted on one side under the engine, and the powersteeriing cap has popped off (probably wasn't on tight). The only complaint i have with this car is the look of the back end. It's not terrible but it does look a little goofy, and i have had it called a mom's car a few times. If you are looking for a good, reliable, cheap car with good mpg and a sporty feel, I would definitely recommend looking at the mazda 3, especially the newer ones with the skyactiv engines if you can afford it."

Overall satisfied

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "good look and interior"

Cons: "mechanical issues are one right after the other"

"At 176,000 miles, The interior is still in great shape.I had and have the following issues mechanically. 1) shifter lights turns off for weeks then come back on. 2) the a/c died at 90,000 and was rebuilt. Always have had to put in on 3 out of 4 to be comfortable. 3) The drivers side window won't roll down. 4) The bearings in the axles are grinding. 5) The check engine light came on and has been worked on and a month later came on again. I love this car and hate to trade it in, but i can't invest anymore money into it."

Fun and economical

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable, cheap to operate, fun to drive"

Cons: "Early rust, small back seat and trunk, noisy"

"It's a great little car overall. I've had mine for 9 years and it has never left me stranded or burned a hole in my wallet on repairs. Gas mileage with the 2.0 engine is very good overall, I average 29 in mostly city driving. The car is a blast to drive on winding roads (make sure you get performance tires!) but still practical as a daily commuter car. It started rusting at around 5 years but we use cheap corrosive road salt in Michigan so that is partly to blame. A bigger trunk opening would be nice and the back seat is a little cramped for adults. It is a noisy car at highway speed but the stereo drowns it out nicely. I would gladly buy another but my growing family needs more room than a compact car offers."

Great, Sporty Car

By on Friday, June 21, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, sporty, value"

"This is a great car for the single person or married couple that don't need lots of cargo room. I drive the 5-speed manual version, and it has lots of "get up and go" with the 2.3L engine. Handling is excellent. I think the Mazda 3 has a nicer look and feel than most other cars in its class. The reason for an "8" on interior/exterior is that the plastic the glove box and doors are made of scratches rather easily. I've put 52,000 miles on this car since I purchased it with 51,000 on it, and have had no breakdowns or mechanical issues, aside from normal wear-and-tear items being replaced. It's never let me down! I have to ding it for gas mileage -- for a small 4-cylinder vehicle, it only gets 28 or so in mixed driving, 31 or 32 on long highway trips."

I just love Mazdas!

By on Sunday, June 09, 2013

Pros: "Handling, solid feel, comfort."

Cons: "Rattle in rear suspension."

"Have had this for over two years now. It runs great with no issues. I am an ocd person in regards to maintenance and this car has only had oil and atf fluid changes. It is comfortable, fairly quiet, and generally a nice place to be when on the road. Yeah, it does have a rattle somewhere in the rear suspension, but that's about it for any problems. It handles very well and is fun to drive. I use full synthetic oil and atf, yet I get only about 31 mpg highway and 25 mpg city. With a 2.0 liter I expected a bit better, but that's not a major complaint. I had a 1991 Protege that was also a car that somehow came across as very well built and tight fitting. Just a solid car...I'm very excited to see the diesel engine in the 3 as this car would kick some butt and get great fuel economy to boot. Great car!"

Well worth the money

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Safety, sporty, roomy, great gas mileage, fun."

Cons: "wiper settings minimal"

"The Mazda3 is a great car for the conservative wanting to save money on gas and maintenance, for the new teenage that parents want to ensure their safety while giving their child the fun edgy look that teens want, and for the everyday errand family. The interior is nice but not overwhelming like some of the vehicles today (it looks like a car, not a space ship). Red Illumination to tell you your MPH, RPM's, radio. Steering wheel offers convenient access to volume, pre-set stations and mute. Safety galore. I purchased this after an accident in an SUV and needed to feel 'safe.' Car has good control & handling, large side mirrors, no blind spots, and 8 airbags, including drop down airbags from the window. Car is roomy, even in the back seat. the trunk easily fits sports gear AND suitcases/bags. Very large for the size car. Gas mileage has always been in low 30's for me. As silly as it sounds the only thing I wish the vehicle had is more settings with the windshield wiper. It's either very slow or very fast and no where in between. I find myself more often just pushing it manually as needed."

Perfect!

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "gas mileage, fun to drive, sporty"

Cons: "power when AC is running"

My baby :)

"Bought this car in April 2012 & loved every minute of owning it. Very sporty like & great gas mileage for the tank size. First time owning a Mazda, had a Toyota Celica before & a Honda Accord & to be honest I prefer the Mazda over both. Lacks the power of the VTEC motor but still an amazing little car. Peppy & handles amazing. Just put 17 inch rims & tires on it 2 months ago & you'd never know the difference. I love my Mazda & plan on keeping it for a long time!"

My baby :)

Second Mazda 3 I have owned. For many reasons

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "great price, great mpg, hardly any maintanence req"

After the wreck I mentioned. Can not show all damages, safe car!!

"In 2006 I bought a new Mazda 3. In 2008 I had a terrible accident that totaled my car. When the wrecker truck got there, the driver asked me which hospital the driver went to. He had no idea that I was the one that was driving. He said he has seen less car damage resulting in injuries, and even fatalities. Everything under my hood fell out of the bottom of the car, nothing came back in on me inside. None of my windows busted, my tires did not even deflate, and I could open my driver's side door to get out safely. Within a week, I bought a new 2008 Mazda 3. I still own this car. I have NEVER once taken it to the shop except for new tires and batteries. In 5 years, I would say that is outstanding for any vehicle. It gets great gas mileage. Safetey experienced first hand, and that is the reason I got a second one. I have no complaints about my Mazda3 and would suggest it to anyone looking for a great car."

After the wreck I mentioned. Can not show all damages, safe car!!

most reliable car ever

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "handling, price, reliability, durability"

Cons: "rear toe out, uneven rear tire wear, poor windows"

"this car has tken me all over the united states. Ive put some punishing miles on it, sometimes driving for over 24 hours straight. My little car has never once left me on the side of the road. even though it is time to replace it, I would love to have another. I have (not bragging) hit more animals than I care to count and still the car came back for more. I live in rural NC and have terrible luck with deer. still though. Car is tough as nails and reliable.reliable.reliable. If I had to do it over again all I would change is the color. I had the blueish purple color."

I would not recommend a mazda to anyone.

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Cons: "Too many things not designed to last. Maintenance"

"Quite the contrary. I would never consider a mazda again. I bought my mazda brand new. As the dealer was handing me the keys I said something about the low profile tires and he responded that they would wear out every 20,000 miles. Wear out---haha- the slightest bump and they are done--- but he was right -they do wear out that quickly too-right around 18000. I have literally had to put 12 plus tires on the car in less than 4 years. The headlight on the drivers side has blown 4 times. the one on the passenger side has been replaced twice. My daughter, my husband and my son have all gotten tickets for the headlight being out. So not only is it inconvenient but it gives the police a reason to pull you over. Just what I want with 3 young drivers in the house. Every time I turn around I am fixing stuff that should last A WHOLE LOT longer. Now the tire sensor fell off of the drivers side front tire and the tire guy told us that the one on the passenger side is about to go too. My husband said these sensors are about $150 a piece. These are things that I never experienced with a brand new car before. I didn't have to replace my tires on any other new vehicle I own before 65000 for wear and tear and I have never had the sensors fall off or had to replace them EVER! As for the headlights, I don't even think I have replaced that many on all my other vehicles combined. I am a family of 5 so we understand vehicle maintenance. Our Mazda is the newest vehicle in our lot but the most expensive maintenance wise. And the interior of the car is shoddy. The biggest thing for me is that carpet keeps pulling away from the sidewall but there is other small stuff as well. It's ridiculous that I have had to spend so much money on maintenance for a car this new."

Great gas efficiency & reliable

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fuel efficient, nice body"

Cons: "average stereo system, no leather seats"

"3 year owner of Mazda 3 and very happy with no issues to report. Great fuel efficiency has saved me lots of money at the pump. Was going to trade it in for a bigger car since I have 2 kids, but decided to keep it for my commuter car. I tinted the back windows and now it's perfect! Seat come down in back to make a bigger trunk."

Best car ever.

By on Thursday, May 02, 2013

Pros: "reliable and fuel efficient"

Cons: "back seat isn't really big enough for grown ups"

"Great gas mileage, no serious repairs in almost 150,000 miles, drives like a go cart( so much fun) and reasonably priced. I got this car new and have loved it. I've owned Audi's and Acura's that both almost put me in the poor house with repairs and premium gas but neither of those cars could compare to my little Mazda 3!"

decent vehicle overall

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "great value, fun to drive, fast little car"

Cons: "a tad bit small and under-powered"

"I bought my 06 Mazda 3 2.3 hatchback about 2 years ago only because of the amazing deal I got on it. At the time I bought it I paid 5k for a car that blue booked at almost 10k so hence why I couldn't pass up this deal. It only had just under 72k miles on it which was another good thing as well. When I first bought it I was very skeptical about the car cause I am normally a GM vehicle type of guy and really don't care for foregin cars too much. But now that I have been driving it for the last few years I must say that this car is an amazibng fun little car. I have driven it all over the place and put on just over 45k miles and havent really had too much of replacing to do to the vehicle besides the usual things like new tires and transmission/oil changes. Overall I must say that this car has treated me well and am very happy with it!!"

Excellent Car

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pros: "fund to drive, reliable, value"

Cons: "road noise, tire wear"

"I bought this car new back in 2007 (left over 2006 model). At that time the competition was lacking. Mazda offered a smart looking car with good interior for the price plus a sporty fun drive. Reliability has been great. I have only had wear parts replaced. I even have the stock battery still! I have driven from PA to Oklahoma a couple times with the car overloaded with furniture and luggage, I have driven it on harsh dirt/muddy/rocky mountain "roads" (work demands), and city roads. I did replace the sprockets but I blame that on myself for taking a definite street car on mountain trails usually reserved for jeeps, 4X4 lifted trucks, and bulldozers (I worked on gas drilling pads. The tires for the 17" wheels are an odd size so they tend to be slightly pricey, but brakes and rotors are cheap enough. The only alterations I've made is installing a K&N air filter (NOT a cold-air intake) and I am getting 31mpg on my country road commute. (Note I have the manual transmission) The biggest issue with the car is road noise and tire wear. The car is designed to have a sporty feel, so rear tires are set from factory with an aggressive camber which will tires faster if you don't rotate regularly. It is a rough drive compared to my wife's 2007 Volvo, but that's hardly a fair comparison. Gears on the manual are close together. You can tell it was developed in Japan where the highway speeds tend to stay under 60mph. The car will reach 113(its e-limited) and cruises easily at 80, but you'll wish you had another gear to improve the gas mileage at those speeds My dash has developed a crack in the very front plastic dash panel. Probably wouldn't notice it if the plastic wasn't lighter in the middle then the surface (black interior), and one of the climate control nobs stop illuminating. Other than that, its good as new, if you ignore the cosmetic damage I've incurred by pretending I was driving a pickup with a 12" lift kit."

Love my Mazda3

By on Friday, April 19, 2013

Pros: "Drives like a sports car, stickshift is most fun"

Cons: "Interior trunk release doesn't work"

"I bought my 2009 Mazda 3 iTouring 4D sedan used in 2011. The car was in excellent condition, almost like brand new but much cheaper. I drive the manual transmission. If you can drive a stickshift, get a Mazda 3 with a manual transmission - it's like driving a sports car. I prefer a stickshift and it's getting harder & harder to find good cars with stickshifts. It was easier to find a Mazda with a stickshift. I test drove other Mazda 3's that were base models (no electronic doors, windows etc) but I prefer all of the bells & whistles of iTouring edition. I love my car. It drives great, runs great and is probably the best car I've ever owned. I selected the Mazda 3 because the interior was so roomy, I love all of the features & because it had a manual transmission. I researched many cars and poured through the annual car issue of Consumer Reports, which gave high reviews to the Mazda 3 (as new & as a used vehicle). The glove box is very roomy & the trunk has a lot of room although you couldn't tell it by looking at it from the outside. The only downsides are that the tire pressure sensors have had to be replaced on most tires (which may be due to the car or the fact that the roads I drive on are in such terrible condition). The interior trunk release doesn't work anymore & I can only open the trunk with the button on the remote. Overall, I would highly recommend this car."

I've really enjoyed this car

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "very responsive if you're a smart driver"

Cons: "needs interior trunk handle;"

"and so have all my passengers, rear and front! Great handling, comfort. If I stick to the speed limit, I consistently get 40 mpg on the highway. City - 27."