2014 Mazda MAZDA2 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $13,254 - $13,946.

10/6.9

8.3

Based on 38 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Great Value and Fun to Drive

By on Friday, April 29, 2011

"Let me be critical. It doesn't have a lot of HP. There is no arm rest unless you buy it as an accessory. The visors are small. Tall people may be less comfortable. That being said, the value you get from this car is great! Compared to other competitors like the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa and Ford Fiesta, you get a better value for your money. Considering what the Mazda2 has to offer, it may look minimalist at first. But if you start to compare it to these other models, it has a lot where it counts and not just bells and whistles. To match the Mazda2, the other cars have to have package upgrades that raise the price significantly, taking most to the 19K-20K price range. The only one that beats it for price may be the Toyota Yaris? But that's not really a good comparison in my opinion. A pro review I read stated that for a first run product on the American market, it came with a very mature build. I have to agree with that statement whole-heartedly. Check the websites and compare for yourself. I shaved $75 on car payments and $40 at the pump every fill-up. Now all that is left is the fun! Driving this manual transmission is very easy! It shifts easy! You don't have to force it! It is Mazda shifting for sure. They didn't slack off on the quality just to make a subcompact B car affordable. The steering is nice and tight! Handles very well! The interior is unique and sporty. The sound system is very adequate. When you back that up with the Mazda reputation it adds more value to the vehicle."

It's what I expect from a Japanese car and Mazda!

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pros: "Great for parking,fits toddler in rear comfortably"

Cons: "small fuel capacity not good for long trips"

"Notes about me: - I have owned Japanese-made, American-made, and German-made cars - I prefer to perform maintenance service on my cars, if I can - I like to modify and upgrade my car, if I can --- The Mazda2 is a good car, and it is what I expect from a Japanese-made car and from Mazda. We previously drove a Mini Cooper (2004 and 2012), but as a family with a new baby boy living in San Francisco, California, we wanted a small 4-door car that was still easy to park. While 12 inches longer than the Mini Cooper, the it is still fairly easy to fit smaller parking spaces in San Francisco. Yes, it doesn't have all the perks of a fancier car, but I don't expect that from a $15,000 car. We also considered the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris (4-door), the Ford Fiesta, and the Prius C. Here are some facts about our first year of ownership: - Purchased the Auto Transmission, Touring model new in May 2012 and put on about 5000 miles per year - Did our first oil change ourselves - the placements of the oil filter and drain plug make oil changes a cinch! - Installed the direct-fit Mazda2 Bluetooth hands-free kit ourselves, and it works like a charm - Installed heated seats, and it works great for the cold San Francisco mornings (low to mid 40s) - Purchased a second switch-blade remote off of Ebay and programmed it myself (very easily and cheaply) - I even was able to use the remote trunk release button on the Mazda2 - Rear seats fit our full-sized convertible baby/toddler seat, rear-facing without a problem and still gives me and my wife (5'7") a good amount of room in the front seats - Can fit our Quinny Zapp (tiny!) stroller and two full-sized carry-on suitcases in the trunk with the rear seats upright for passengers! Our MPG on the Auto Transmission is all over the place, but we expect that being in San Francisco "proper" with hills everywhere: * Pure CITY driving can be as low as 20-22mpg (SF city blocks may have stop signs on EVERY block or two, with some city blocks only being about 300ft in length - that's up to 16 stop signs per mile! Also, I try my best to make full, complete stops by the book.) * Mixed driving gives us around 24-27mpg * Pure FREEWAY driving gives us around 31-36mpg, depending on driving speed; It's closer to 31mpg when driving on the sometimes windy I-5 going around 75-85mph and closer to 36mpg when going around 55-65mph NOTE for all Mazda2 owners regarding FUEL CAPACITY: ==> For some reason, Mazda chose to display "0 miles remaining" (we call it "E blinky zero") with around 1.25 gallons remaining in the tank. We don't have a precise number, yet, because we don't want to run out of gas - but we were able to drive 35 miles AFTER the trip meter told us we were "out" of gas with "0 miles remaining" and still were not able to fill up the full 11.3-gallon capacity of the tank. ---- Overall and a year later, we still feel this was the best car for our needs (family with a baby/toddler living in San Francisco)."

3rd Mazda and not my last.

By on Thursday, March 24, 2011

"I puchased my 2011 Mazda2 the week it came available in the US and I absolutely love it. 7 months later and 9,000+ miles already on my 2, it's proven to be a great car. Oil changes can be a bit pricey (around $90.00 including rotating and balancing your tires) since now most of Mazda's 2011 vehicles use 0w-20 full synthetic oil, but given you can drive around 5-6k miles between oil changes, it's helps to even things out a bit. Even with gas prices soaring, I'm still paying around $25.00 or less per fill up which gets me about 210-225 miles (27-31mpg) per tank before I need to fill up again. Even on long trips, the 2 keeps me quite comfortable. I would definitely enjoy a center console but I'm fine without it for now. This is my 3rd Mazda (96' Protege, 05' Mazda3 & 11' Mazda2), and it certainly won't be my last. Zoom-Zoom :)"

Best value super compact car on the road.

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great price for what you get"

Cons: "Price"

"WE did a lot of shopping for the economy car and when we found the 2 we knew it was the right one for us. The only problem is that it doesn't get 40mpg like we had hoped, the sticker is correct, and for just a couple thousand more we could have gotten a 3 with close to the same gas millage. Had we really thought about our options, we would have bought another Mazda3 as we already owned one and LOVE it. We still love our 2 though."

Best Compact car

By on Monday, March 28, 2011

"This car is great on MPG, it feels realy nice driving it, mines is a manual and is really fun to drive...., it does not have too much horse power(100) but it feels faster that what you think, and all because mazda made this car so lightweight..... love this car. Also not only on the outside but this car is the best interior I have ever seen comparing to other compact cars(yaris, Chevrolet aveo, Nissan versa, Honda fit, ford fiesta) and for the price, it is so cheap comparing the others."

Fun to drive gas miser!!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "Gets better mpg than stated on window sticker!"

Cons: "Small hatch area"

"I traded in my Ford Focus for this cute sporty new Mazda 2. The M2 gets better gas mpg than the sticker, at present Im getting 36.2 mpg in MIXED driving and the car isnt even broken in yet AND its still winter. The manual shifter action is straight out of the Miata ( I owned one so I know :) The handling is amazingly sporty for an economy car. Its loaded: pw, pl, pm, tilt, cruise, cd/mp3, trip comp, A/C...I got the Touring trim level which also came with alloy wheels, a spoiler and nicer seats. Seats are very comfy and attractive. The car does not have blue tooth, but I dont want or need it. It does not have navigation, but again I dont want or need that. What it does have is an amzing amount of content and quality motoring/sporty feel to it for about 16k, less if you get the Sport trim. I drove a Honda Fit awhile back and was not too impressed. Mazda is way more fun to drive and just as reliable, and not everyone owns one. I highly reccomend this car to anyone who doesnt want to spend alot but wants to get a sporty, fun, economy car that seats 4 comfortibly."

Zoom zoom with a few quirks

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great MPG, feels solid"

Cons: "Garment hooks? Mist option for the rear wiper?"

Lil Red Sled

"Traded my Fit Sport AT for the Mazda 2 because I live in the mountains and was tired of the Fit downshifting seemingly at will; also had some customer service issues with Honda that never got resolved, so I switched brands. The M2 is much more fun to drive than the Fit was, and is getting slightly better gas mileage. Two minor complaints about the Mazda: where are the garment hooks (this is, after all, a four door car, and it would be nice to be able to hang one's clothes)?, and why can't I swipe the back glass just once like I can the windshield? Pretty minor stuff. Had the opportunity recently to drive the M2 in the snow, and it is a great little snow car."

Lil Red Sled

Wonderful little car!!!

By on Thursday, December 30, 2010

"I have had my Mazda2 for a little over 2 months now and I absolutely love it!! I get so many compliments on how it looks and people just stop and stare. It was a great value for all the standard equipment you get. I could not find a small compact new car for under $18K until I came across the Mazda2. I feel like I got all the bells and whistles for a very reasonable price of a little over $14,500. I am a happy girl! :)"

no regrets

By on Wednesday, November 03, 2010

"So far I have no regrets purchasing this vehicle. there are only a few little things to mention. the visors are a little small and don't block out much sun when you need them. the stability gets a little shaky at high speeds, but it's manageable. and there is no center arm rest. overall though it's a great car."

Bought it. Love it.

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Peppy and fun to drive - a great value."

Cons: "Center armrest should come standard."

"Traded in a MB 230K and have no regrets. Lotsa pep and looks great. Makes parking a breeze! Close to 30 MPG mixed city / highway."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next