2013 Mazda MAZDA2

8.2

Based on 36 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Best value super compact car on the road.

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great price for what you get"

Cons: "Price"

"WE did a lot of shopping for the economy car and when we found the 2 we knew it was the right one for us. The only problem is that it doesn't get 40mpg like we had hoped, the sticker is correct, and for just a couple thousand more we could have gotten a 3 with close to the same gas millage. Had we really thought about our options, we would have bought another Mazda3 as we already owned one and LOVE it. We still love our 2 though."

Bought it. Love it.

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Peppy and fun to drive - a great value."

Cons: "Center armrest should come standard."

"Traded in a MB 230K and have no regrets. Lotsa pep and looks great. Makes parking a breeze! Close to 30 MPG mixed city / highway."

Reliable, fun to drive, and easy to handle.

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive and handles well. Turns on a dime."

"This is the third Mazda I've owned. The reason I keep going back for more? Reliability. I live in the mountains off a dirt road. The drive into town and back is over 100 miles and the highway to and from is busy. I require a car that starts up each and every time. After all, who's going to come out to start my car when I live so far out and I sure don't want to be stranded in town."

great car

By on Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"Bought 1 month ago, love its style,and 35-40 mpg. Rides and drives great."

Fun to drive gas miser!!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "Gets better mpg than stated on window sticker!"

Cons: "Small hatch area"

"I traded in my Ford Focus for this cute sporty new Mazda 2. The M2 gets better gas mpg than the sticker, at present Im getting 36.2 mpg in MIXED driving and the car isnt even broken in yet AND its still winter. The manual shifter action is straight out of the Miata ( I owned one so I know :) The handling is amazingly sporty for an economy car. Its loaded: pw, pl, pm, tilt, cruise, cd/mp3, trip comp, A/C...I got the Touring trim level which also came with alloy wheels, a spoiler and nicer seats. Seats are very comfy and attractive. The car does not have blue tooth, but I dont want or need it. It does not have navigation, but again I dont want or need that. What it does have is an amzing amount of content and quality motoring/sporty feel to it for about 16k, less if you get the Sport trim. I drove a Honda Fit awhile back and was not too impressed. Mazda is way more fun to drive and just as reliable, and not everyone owns one. I highly reccomend this car to anyone who doesnt want to spend alot but wants to get a sporty, fun, economy car that seats 4 comfortibly."

no regrets

By on Wednesday, November 03, 2010

"So far I have no regrets purchasing this vehicle. there are only a few little things to mention. the visors are a little small and don't block out much sun when you need them. the stability gets a little shaky at high speeds, but it's manageable. and there is no center arm rest. overall though it's a great car."

It's what I expect from a Japanese car and Mazda!

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pros: "Great for parking,fits toddler in rear comfortably"

Cons: "small fuel capacity not good for long trips"

"Notes about me: - I have owned Japanese-made, American-made, and German-made cars - I prefer to perform maintenance service on my cars, if I can - I like to modify and upgrade my car, if I can --- The Mazda2 is a good car, and it is what I expect from a Japanese-made car and from Mazda. We previously drove a Mini Cooper (2004 and 2012), but as a family with a new baby boy living in San Francisco, California, we wanted a small 4-door car that was still easy to park. While 12 inches longer than the Mini Cooper, the it is still fairly easy to fit smaller parking spaces in San Francisco. Yes, it doesn't have all the perks of a fancier car, but I don't expect that from a $15,000 car. We also considered the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris (4-door), the Ford Fiesta, and the Prius C. Here are some facts about our first year of ownership: - Purchased the Auto Transmission, Touring model new in May 2012 and put on about 5000 miles per year - Did our first oil change ourselves - the placements of the oil filter and drain plug make oil changes a cinch! - Installed the direct-fit Mazda2 Bluetooth hands-free kit ourselves, and it works like a charm - Installed heated seats, and it works great for the cold San Francisco mornings (low to mid 40s) - Purchased a second switch-blade remote off of Ebay and programmed it myself (very easily and cheaply) - I even was able to use the remote trunk release button on the Mazda2 - Rear seats fit our full-sized convertible baby/toddler seat, rear-facing without a problem and still gives me and my wife (5'7") a good amount of room in the front seats - Can fit our Quinny Zapp (tiny!) stroller and two full-sized carry-on suitcases in the trunk with the rear seats upright for passengers! Our MPG on the Auto Transmission is all over the place, but we expect that being in San Francisco "proper" with hills everywhere: * Pure CITY driving can be as low as 20-22mpg (SF city blocks may have stop signs on EVERY block or two, with some city blocks only being about 300ft in length - that's up to 16 stop signs per mile! Also, I try my best to make full, complete stops by the book.) * Mixed driving gives us around 24-27mpg * Pure FREEWAY driving gives us around 31-36mpg, depending on driving speed; It's closer to 31mpg when driving on the sometimes windy I-5 going around 75-85mph and closer to 36mpg when going around 55-65mph NOTE for all Mazda2 owners regarding FUEL CAPACITY: ==> For some reason, Mazda chose to display "0 miles remaining" (we call it "E blinky zero") with around 1.25 gallons remaining in the tank. We don't have a precise number, yet, because we don't want to run out of gas - but we were able to drive 35 miles AFTER the trip meter told us we were "out" of gas with "0 miles remaining" and still were not able to fill up the full 11.3-gallon capacity of the tank. ---- Overall and a year later, we still feel this was the best car for our needs (family with a baby/toddler living in San Francisco)."

Great Value and Fun to Drive

By on Friday, April 29, 2011

"Let me be critical. It doesn't have a lot of HP. There is no arm rest unless you buy it as an accessory. The visors are small. Tall people may be less comfortable. That being said, the value you get from this car is great! Compared to other competitors like the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa and Ford Fiesta, you get a better value for your money. Considering what the Mazda2 has to offer, it may look minimalist at first. But if you start to compare it to these other models, it has a lot where it counts and not just bells and whistles. To match the Mazda2, the other cars have to have package upgrades that raise the price significantly, taking most to the 19K-20K price range. The only one that beats it for price may be the Toyota Yaris? But that's not really a good comparison in my opinion. A pro review I read stated that for a first run product on the American market, it came with a very mature build. I have to agree with that statement whole-heartedly. Check the websites and compare for yourself. I shaved $75 on car payments and $40 at the pump every fill-up. Now all that is left is the fun! Driving this manual transmission is very easy! It shifts easy! You don't have to force it! It is Mazda shifting for sure. They didn't slack off on the quality just to make a subcompact B car affordable. The steering is nice and tight! Handles very well! The interior is unique and sporty. The sound system is very adequate. When you back that up with the Mazda reputation it adds more value to the vehicle."

3rd Mazda and not my last.

By on Thursday, March 24, 2011

"I puchased my 2011 Mazda2 the week it came available in the US and I absolutely love it. 7 months later and 9,000+ miles already on my 2, it's proven to be a great car. Oil changes can be a bit pricey (around $90.00 including rotating and balancing your tires) since now most of Mazda's 2011 vehicles use 0w-20 full synthetic oil, but given you can drive around 5-6k miles between oil changes, it's helps to even things out a bit. Even with gas prices soaring, I'm still paying around $25.00 or less per fill up which gets me about 210-225 miles (27-31mpg) per tank before I need to fill up again. Even on long trips, the 2 keeps me quite comfortable. I would definitely enjoy a center console but I'm fine without it for now. This is my 3rd Mazda (96' Protege, 05' Mazda3 & 11' Mazda2), and it certainly won't be my last. Zoom-Zoom :)"

Best Compact car

By on Monday, March 28, 2011

"This car is great on MPG, it feels realy nice driving it, mines is a manual and is really fun to drive...., it does not have too much horse power(100) but it feels faster that what you think, and all because mazda made this car so lightweight..... love this car. Also not only on the outside but this car is the best interior I have ever seen comparing to other compact cars(yaris, Chevrolet aveo, Nissan versa, Honda fit, ford fiesta) and for the price, it is so cheap comparing the others."

Zoom zoom with a few quirks

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great MPG, feels solid"

Cons: "Garment hooks? Mist option for the rear wiper?"

Lil Red Sled

"Traded my Fit Sport AT for the Mazda 2 because I live in the mountains and was tired of the Fit downshifting seemingly at will; also had some customer service issues with Honda that never got resolved, so I switched brands. The M2 is much more fun to drive than the Fit was, and is getting slightly better gas mileage. Two minor complaints about the Mazda: where are the garment hooks (this is, after all, a four door car, and it would be nice to be able to hang one's clothes)?, and why can't I swipe the back glass just once like I can the windshield? Pretty minor stuff. Had the opportunity recently to drive the M2 in the snow, and it is a great little snow car."

Lil Red Sled

Wonderful little car!!!

By on Thursday, December 30, 2010

"I have had my Mazda2 for a little over 2 months now and I absolutely love it!! I get so many compliments on how it looks and people just stop and stare. It was a great value for all the standard equipment you get. I could not find a small compact new car for under $18K until I came across the Mazda2. I feel like I got all the bells and whistles for a very reasonable price of a little over $14,500. I am a happy girl! :)"

Great little car!

By on Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pros: "surprisingly roomy inside, very comfy, fun drive"

Cons: "low on power going up hills"

"This is a great little car for the money! It has a surprising amount of cargo space when you fold the seats down, and plenty of space for everyday use with the seats up. The front seats are really comfy and very adjustable for both tall and short people. It can fit 4 adults for short drives, although I wouldn't suggest any road trips with four people. It's a lot of fun to drive, and gets good gas mileage."

Overall Great Commuter Car

By on Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pros: "Great Value, Relaiable, Fun Car"

Cons: "Missing center armrest."

"I purchased this as a second vehicle to use for commuting. Overall it is fun to drive but it will not win any street races. Overall, it is a good value for the price point. I got (and recommend) the touring instead of the Sport model because the options are nice for a reasonable price. One notable thing is it lacks a center arm rest, at first I figured it would be a bother but I have gotten used to it. Another thing to keep in mind is the car requires synthetic oil so it raises maintenance costs. It is a great commuter car and would be a good first car or car for a college student. I have the manual transmission and recommend that over the automatic because it performs better. I have driven manual transmissions for 10 years and this is defiantly one of the more touchy ones, takes some getting used it."

Great car for the money.

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Quality, handling, mileage"

Cons: "Needs 10-15% more hp."

"Bought my 2 in the Spring of 2011. Mazda was offering 0% apr for 60 months. How could I say no?! Car handles well, rides quietly for its class, and I consistently exceed the EPA highway of 35mpg. I wish it had more power, but no matter how much a car has, I still want more. Give one a drive. I doubt you'll be disappointed at this price point."

Nice reliable car

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "price, fun to drive, reliability, safety, ride"

Cons: "center shifting cnsole hurts my leg on long trips."

my 11 mazda2

"I have been driving the heck out of my new Mazda2. I bought it in Feb 2011 and already have 24000 on it. I use it for work and sometimes drive long distances."

my 11 mazda2

LOVE My Car!

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive. great price. fuel economy. roomy"

Cons: "small exterior"

"I got this car six months ago. To be completely honest, when I drove onto the dealership lot to look at this car I hated it. I took it for a test drive and an hour later I loved it. It’s so fun to drive. It is so comfortable and roomy inside. I would highly recommend this car for people who want a fun, reliable, comfortable car. I would not recommend to those with children, back seat may be too small."

Brake Issues

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Peppy"

Cons: "Brakes are horrible!"

"My Mazda 2 was originally purchased as a "bargain" choice from a company with a solid reputation for making quality vehicles. However, the Mazda 2 did not have a track record that I could investigate. The car is very sporty and peppy. However, the brakes are a serious issue in this car. Since purchase, I have had this car in to the shop 5 times in the first 30,000 miles for the same issue. The brakes begin to vibrate drastically after about 5000 miles from each repair when stopping at highway speeds. The rotors continue to warp, seems to be inferior quality. They have machined the rotors as well as replaced them completely. The same situation keeps occurring. Now, the vehicle is past it's 36,000 mile warranty, and it appears I will have to continue paying out of my own pocket for additional repairs. Worst set of brakes on a vehicle I have ever had! Beyond that, a great little car ... but brakes are obviously a critical component!"

Nice Cheap Transportation

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Looks good, good MPG, cheap to own"

Cons: "Does not pass cars well"

"This is the third Mazda I have owned. The other two were the Mazdaspeed 3, and a 1990 truck (back when Mazda built them). I have been really satisfied with all three vehicles. Mazda does a good job with their steering and handling. The Mazda 2 has the same great handling and steering (for a car priced this cheap). It does not have great acceleration as it only has a 1.5 liter engine. I have driven it over the mountains here in California and had no issues whatsoever being able to keep up with traffic. My average MPG is 32. When I drive to the coast I get about 37 MPG since the speed limit is 55 almost the entire way. The cruise cotnrol works well in this vehicle also. Sound system is not bad, I get good bass from speakers. I really like the looks both inside and out as well."

Good small car, but has design flaw

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "Good price, smooth drive"

Cons: "no console, windows fog easily"

"I love this car it's small but not tiny. And it gives me good gas mileage and has some nice comforts. The down side is no center console, and because of the interior design I find that in this car it fogs up easily. I must keep defroster on at all times."

5000+ Mile Update / Review

By on Friday, January 30, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, Good commuter car, Cheap"

Cons: "Automatic transmission, Cargo space"

"I though some folks might appreciate a review / update from someone who's owned this car for a bit. Pros: -Perfect for it's intended use as a single person commuter vehicle, ideally in the city. If that is what you're after. this will do nicely. -Handling is sharp and nimble, good road feel through the steering wheel and pedals. Fun to drive in the city. Cons: -Automatic transmission. In a word, it's sluggish. It feels bogged down when you're pulling out of the driveway, and it feels like it's struggling to keep up at highway speeds. Sweet spot is about 40 mph. After about 3,500mi of driving the noise and vibration from it kicked up noticeably too. Definitely makes me concerned about it's long term reliability. Just get the stick shift and you'll be fine. I wish I did... -Not enough space for tall people It's very close though. I'm 6'1" tall, and I *almost* fit in it with the seat all the way back. My left leg runs out of room though and feels mildly uncomfortable on longer drives. Could use about 2-3 inches more space. If you're over 6 feet tall I would not recommend this car. -4 people + highway speeds not recommended With 4 adults in the car this thing feels overtaxed. I've driven 4 (including myself) on the highway several times and the car just feels like it's straining to maintain speed. The extra weight also makes the handling feel a little twitchy, which is unnerving at that velocity. Road noise levels make normal conversation difficult at highway speeds as well. -Dashboard makes occasional popping sound. I believe this is due to expansion/contraction during hot or cold days. Not terrible, but a little distracting. -Gas mileage is mediocre at best. I've been averaging about 30mpg combined, 60% on the highway. Summary: As I said in the beginning. If you intend to use this as a single person commuter car in the city it'll do just fine. It always feels very nice, even a little sporty at city speeds. If you intend to drive on the highway a lot get the stick shift, it has an extra gear (5 spd) resulting in lower rpms at highway speeds. If you're over 6' tall, don't buy this. If you intend to haul 3 passengers a lot, don't buy this. If cargo room is a concern, I don't think you should probably buy this either. Trunk can barely fit a single full size luggage. I still have fun with this car, but you always have to consider your needs and typical usage when looking at something this tiny. It can be a lot of fun to drive, but there are some definite limits to it's capabilities."

awesome little car with amazing handling&dynamics

By on Friday, August 29, 2014

Pros: "greate price, extremely fun to drive"

Cons: "interior tech features lacking"

"I own a CX-5 and I got Mazda2 as a second car for my wife but I started driving this little more than my wife. The handling is amazing and the engine power is good enough for daily commute to office. It wont do good in hilly areas but it is not a concern to me. Amazing value for the price of car. The interior needs lots of improvement. Hopefully the 2016 mazda2 announced recently addresses those issues."

Automatic transmission VERY laggy

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Fit & finish, ride & handling, braking, electrical"

Cons: "Laggy AND gutless in auto tranny version"

"There's a terrible lag between pressing on the accelerator pedal and when it actually moves. It's dangerous turning left across traffic. You try to ease on the gas and it just wont cooperate. I used to race motocross and this hits like an old 2-stroke dirtbike. At first it does almost nothing when you step on the gas. Then it moves a little. So you keep depressing the gas pedal and nothing happens until... it HITS and over-revs. But it's so underpowered it just makes a lot of over-rev noise before it finally lunges ahead. MPG is 28 mixed. All else with the rig is great."

Can't beat it for the price

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, fun to drive, very reliable"

Cons: "no clock"

"I got this when another car kept having engine problems and I had to get something quickly for not too much money. Being able to park in almost every tight spot is amazing, but also the car is zippy, cute, gets great gas mileage and not everyone has it. I feel lucky to have this car for the price."

best small car for the money

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

"good car, great on gas -- only car ever owned that beats epa estimates. interior quality leaves something to be desired. Trim is flimsy and tears easily when removed."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mazda MAZDA2 near Honolulu. See local deals