• 2014 Compact Cars

2013 Mazda MAZDA2 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $13,384 - $14,022.

10/7.0

8.0

Based on 27 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Best for city life

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "Quick steering, small yet has 4 doors"

Cons: "Low power, not good for tall people"

"I love this car. It fits into most parking spaces, even in NYC, and has never given me trouble. The only issue I've had is going out of town - it's weak on the uphill. It's roomy enough for a kid and a dog, but we are also small people. If you have long legs, it will be painful. Overall, I would recommend Mazda2 to anyone who drives in the city or commutes to and from work."

Not worth the price

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Looks good"

Cons: "Not reliable, poor quality"

"Bought this car in April 2013 and wish I hadn't. Just had my second experience with snow in this car and it is by far the worst car in snow. EVER. Does not have enough power for hilly areas. I live in Delaware which is flat so it is OK but not good for traveling for this reason. Interior and overall design I have no complaints - You get what you pay for and I am satisied with that portion. It does not feel like a quality car AT ALL. I will be lucky if I get 100,000mi out of it before it crashes. Would not recommend."

Brake Issues

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Peppy"

Cons: "Brakes are horrible!"

"My Mazda 2 was originally purchased as a "bargain" choice from a company with a solid reputation for making quality vehicles. However, the Mazda 2 did not have a track record that I could investigate. The car is very sporty and peppy. However, the brakes are a serious issue in this car. Since purchase, I have had this car in to the shop 5 times in the first 30,000 miles for the same issue. The brakes begin to vibrate drastically after about 5000 miles from each repair when stopping at highway speeds. The rotors continue to warp, seems to be inferior quality. They have machined the rotors as well as replaced them completely. The same situation keeps occurring. Now, the vehicle is past it's 36,000 mile warranty, and it appears I will have to continue paying out of my own pocket for additional repairs. Worst set of brakes on a vehicle I have ever had! Beyond that, a great little car ... but brakes are obviously a critical component!"

The maintenance cost outweighs any $$ saved on MPG

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Pros: "decent gas mileage, fast pickup for 4 cylinders"

Cons: "HIGH maintenance frustrating"

"I have had this car for 2.5 years. In that time I've had 6 flat tires with normal use. Of those 6 flats, 3 of them required buying new tires at $140 per tire. Because they are an odd size tire, there is only one place in Kansas City that carries them. Even the dealer doesn't keep them in stock. I was told they are high performance (read very thin rubber), and because of the odd/narrow size, most flats aren't going to be fixable. Top that off with needing full-synthetic oil making oil changes cost $50-$80 at the BEST... well, the maintenance costs on this vehicle outweighs any good in my opinion!"

What a sarcastic piece of junk!

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "It wasa $12 rental."

Cons: "Noisy, vibrates, no OAT gauge."

"I grabbed a Mazda 2 from a rental place in Ft. Myers last week. The engine started and ran well, albeit noisy, and the transmission seemed to take forever to shift up under normal acceleration. I found the seats uncomfortable, and after a short period of time, my lower back began to ache. After getting out on I-75, I wound her up to 70, the published speed limit. The front end immediately began to vibrate, so I had to complete my trip at 65 mpg. Being a black on black car, the A/C system seemed taxed, and I could not locate the outside air temperature gauge. Bummer. For fit, finish, and quality, stick with Toyota."

Automatic transmission VERY laggy

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Fit & finish, ride & handling, braking, electrical"

Cons: "Laggy AND gutless in auto tranny version"

"There's a terrible lag between pressing on the accelerator pedal and when it actually moves. It's dangerous turning left across traffic. You try to ease on the gas and it just wont cooperate. I used to race motocross and this hits like an old 2-stroke dirtbike. At first it does almost nothing when you step on the gas. Then it moves a little. So you keep depressing the gas pedal and nothing happens until... it HITS and over-revs. But it's so underpowered it just makes a lot of over-rev noise before it finally lunges ahead. MPG is 28 mixed. All else with the rig is great."

Reliable, fun to drive, and easy to handle.

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive and handles well. Turns on a dime."

"This is the third Mazda I've owned. The reason I keep going back for more? Reliability. I live in the mountains off a dirt road. The drive into town and back is over 100 miles and the highway to and from is busy. I require a car that starts up each and every time. After all, who's going to come out to start my car when I live so far out and I sure don't want to be stranded in town."

Nice Cheap Transportation

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Looks good, good MPG, cheap to own"

Cons: "Does not pass cars well"

"This is the third Mazda I have owned. The other two were the Mazdaspeed 3, and a 1990 truck (back when Mazda built them). I have been really satisfied with all three vehicles. Mazda does a good job with their steering and handling. The Mazda 2 has the same great handling and steering (for a car priced this cheap). It does not have great acceleration as it only has a 1.5 liter engine. I have driven it over the mountains here in California and had no issues whatsoever being able to keep up with traffic. My average MPG is 32. When I drive to the coast I get about 37 MPG since the speed limit is 55 almost the entire way. The cruise cotnrol works well in this vehicle also. Sound system is not bad, I get good bass from speakers. I really like the looks both inside and out as well."

Can't beat the price of the car

By on Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pros: "Size, fun to drive"

Cons: "Needs a bigger gas tank"

"Love the size of the car. Work in San Francisco and love the way it fits into small parking spot. No problem so far. Only one neg. the automatic tran is a bit rough in stop and go traffic"

It's what I expect from a Japanese car and Mazda!

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pros: "Great for parking,fits toddler in rear comfortably"

Cons: "small fuel capacity not good for long trips"

"Notes about me: - I have owned Japanese-made, American-made, and German-made cars - I prefer to perform maintenance service on my cars, if I can - I like to modify and upgrade my car, if I can --- The Mazda2 is a good car, and it is what I expect from a Japanese-made car and from Mazda. We previously drove a Mini Cooper (2004 and 2012), but as a family with a new baby boy living in San Francisco, California, we wanted a small 4-door car that was still easy to park. While 12 inches longer than the Mini Cooper, the it is still fairly easy to fit smaller parking spaces in San Francisco. Yes, it doesn't have all the perks of a fancier car, but I don't expect that from a $15,000 car. We also considered the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris (4-door), the Ford Fiesta, and the Prius C. Here are some facts about our first year of ownership: - Purchased the Auto Transmission, Touring model new in May 2012 and put on about 5000 miles per year - Did our first oil change ourselves - the placements of the oil filter and drain plug make oil changes a cinch! - Installed the direct-fit Mazda2 Bluetooth hands-free kit ourselves, and it works like a charm - Installed heated seats, and it works great for the cold San Francisco mornings (low to mid 40s) - Purchased a second switch-blade remote off of Ebay and programmed it myself (very easily and cheaply) - I even was able to use the remote trunk release button on the Mazda2 - Rear seats fit our full-sized convertible baby/toddler seat, rear-facing without a problem and still gives me and my wife (5'7") a good amount of room in the front seats - Can fit our Quinny Zapp (tiny!) stroller and two full-sized carry-on suitcases in the trunk with the rear seats upright for passengers! Our MPG on the Auto Transmission is all over the place, but we expect that being in San Francisco "proper" with hills everywhere: * Pure CITY driving can be as low as 20-22mpg (SF city blocks may have stop signs on EVERY block or two, with some city blocks only being about 300ft in length - that's up to 16 stop signs per mile! Also, I try my best to make full, complete stops by the book.) * Mixed driving gives us around 24-27mpg * Pure FREEWAY driving gives us around 31-36mpg, depending on driving speed; It's closer to 31mpg when driving on the sometimes windy I-5 going around 75-85mph and closer to 36mpg when going around 55-65mph NOTE for all Mazda2 owners regarding FUEL CAPACITY: ==> For some reason, Mazda chose to display "0 miles remaining" (we call it "E blinky zero") with around 1.25 gallons remaining in the tank. We don't have a precise number, yet, because we don't want to run out of gas - but we were able to drive 35 miles AFTER the trip meter told us we were "out" of gas with "0 miles remaining" and still were not able to fill up the full 11.3-gallon capacity of the tank. ---- Overall and a year later, we still feel this was the best car for our needs (family with a baby/toddler living in San Francisco)."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25