• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2011 Mazda MAZDA2

8.1

Based on 30 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Nice Cheap Transportation

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Pros: "Looks good, good MPG, cheap to own"

Cons: "Does not pass cars well"

"This is the third Mazda I have owned. The other two were the Mazdaspeed 3, and a 1990 truck (back when Mazda built them). I have been really satisfied with all three vehicles. Mazda does a good job with their steering and handling. The Mazda 2 has the same great handling and steering (for a car priced this cheap). It does not have great acceleration as it only has a 1.5 liter engine. I have driven it over the mountains here in California and had no issues whatsoever being able to keep up with traffic. My average MPG is 32. When I drive to the coast I get about 37 MPG since the speed limit is 55 almost the entire way. The cruise cotnrol works well in this vehicle also. Sound system is not bad, I get good bass from speakers. I really like the looks both inside and out as well."

Can't beat the price of the car

By on Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pros: "Size, fun to drive"

Cons: "Needs a bigger gas tank"

"Love the size of the car. Work in San Francisco and love the way it fits into small parking spot. No problem so far. Only one neg. the automatic tran is a bit rough in stop and go traffic"

It's what I expect from a Japanese car and Mazda!

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pros: "Great for parking,fits toddler in rear comfortably"

Cons: "small fuel capacity not good for long trips"

"Notes about me: - I have owned Japanese-made, American-made, and German-made cars - I prefer to perform maintenance service on my cars, if I can - I like to modify and upgrade my car, if I can --- The Mazda2 is a good car, and it is what I expect from a Japanese-made car and from Mazda. We previously drove a Mini Cooper (2004 and 2012), but as a family with a new baby boy living in San Francisco, California, we wanted a small 4-door car that was still easy to park. While 12 inches longer than the Mini Cooper, the it is still fairly easy to fit smaller parking spaces in San Francisco. Yes, it doesn't have all the perks of a fancier car, but I don't expect that from a $15,000 car. We also considered the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris (4-door), the Ford Fiesta, and the Prius C. Here are some facts about our first year of ownership: - Purchased the Auto Transmission, Touring model new in May 2012 and put on about 5000 miles per year - Did our first oil change ourselves - the placements of the oil filter and drain plug make oil changes a cinch! - Installed the direct-fit Mazda2 Bluetooth hands-free kit ourselves, and it works like a charm - Installed heated seats, and it works great for the cold San Francisco mornings (low to mid 40s) - Purchased a second switch-blade remote off of Ebay and programmed it myself (very easily and cheaply) - I even was able to use the remote trunk release button on the Mazda2 - Rear seats fit our full-sized convertible baby/toddler seat, rear-facing without a problem and still gives me and my wife (5'7") a good amount of room in the front seats - Can fit our Quinny Zapp (tiny!) stroller and two full-sized carry-on suitcases in the trunk with the rear seats upright for passengers! Our MPG on the Auto Transmission is all over the place, but we expect that being in San Francisco "proper" with hills everywhere: * Pure CITY driving can be as low as 20-22mpg (SF city blocks may have stop signs on EVERY block or two, with some city blocks only being about 300ft in length - that's up to 16 stop signs per mile! Also, I try my best to make full, complete stops by the book.) * Mixed driving gives us around 24-27mpg * Pure FREEWAY driving gives us around 31-36mpg, depending on driving speed; It's closer to 31mpg when driving on the sometimes windy I-5 going around 75-85mph and closer to 36mpg when going around 55-65mph NOTE for all Mazda2 owners regarding FUEL CAPACITY: ==> For some reason, Mazda chose to display "0 miles remaining" (we call it "E blinky zero") with around 1.25 gallons remaining in the tank. We don't have a precise number, yet, because we don't want to run out of gas - but we were able to drive 35 miles AFTER the trip meter told us we were "out" of gas with "0 miles remaining" and still were not able to fill up the full 11.3-gallon capacity of the tank. ---- Overall and a year later, we still feel this was the best car for our needs (family with a baby/toddler living in San Francisco)."

Lots of Problems

By on Thursday, January 17, 2013

Pros: "Economic, Gas Milage, comfort, Safe, Low Price"

Cons: "NOT Dependable, Low Power especially uphill"

"I bought my Mazda 2 in April on 2011 brand new. Within two weeks of me owning it, the seal around me entena leaked water into my car and onto my dash. Since then, I've also been through four fuel pumps, an air pump, and a traction control sensor. Not worth the money at all. The only good things I have to say about it is that it's a safe and economic vehicle, but not dependable."

Great little car!

By on Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pros: "surprisingly roomy inside, very comfy, fun drive"

Cons: "low on power going up hills"

"This is a great little car for the money! It has a surprising amount of cargo space when you fold the seats down, and plenty of space for everyday use with the seats up. The front seats are really comfy and very adjustable for both tall and short people. It can fit 4 adults for short drives, although I wouldn't suggest any road trips with four people. It's a lot of fun to drive, and gets good gas mileage."

Great car for the money.

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Quality, handling, mileage"

Cons: "Needs 10-15% more hp."

"Bought my 2 in the Spring of 2011. Mazda was offering 0% apr for 60 months. How could I say no?! Car handles well, rides quietly for its class, and I consistently exceed the EPA highway of 35mpg. I wish it had more power, but no matter how much a car has, I still want more. Give one a drive. I doubt you'll be disappointed at this price point."

LOVE My Car!

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive. great price. fuel economy. roomy"

Cons: "small exterior"

"I got this car six months ago. To be completely honest, when I drove onto the dealership lot to look at this car I hated it. I took it for a test drive and an hour later I loved it. It’s so fun to drive. It is so comfortable and roomy inside. I would highly recommend this car for people who want a fun, reliable, comfortable car. I would not recommend to those with children, back seat may be too small."

Best value super compact car on the road.

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great price for what you get"

Cons: "Price"

"WE did a lot of shopping for the economy car and when we found the 2 we knew it was the right one for us. The only problem is that it doesn't get 40mpg like we had hoped, the sticker is correct, and for just a couple thousand more we could have gotten a 3 with close to the same gas millage. Had we really thought about our options, we would have bought another Mazda3 as we already owned one and LOVE it. We still love our 2 though."

Fun to drive gas miser!!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "Gets better mpg than stated on window sticker!"

Cons: "Small hatch area"

"I traded in my Ford Focus for this cute sporty new Mazda 2. The M2 gets better gas mpg than the sticker, at present Im getting 36.2 mpg in MIXED driving and the car isnt even broken in yet AND its still winter. The manual shifter action is straight out of the Miata ( I owned one so I know :) The handling is amazingly sporty for an economy car. Its loaded: pw, pl, pm, tilt, cruise, cd/mp3, trip comp, A/C...I got the Touring trim level which also came with alloy wheels, a spoiler and nicer seats. Seats are very comfy and attractive. The car does not have blue tooth, but I dont want or need it. It does not have navigation, but again I dont want or need that. What it does have is an amzing amount of content and quality motoring/sporty feel to it for about 16k, less if you get the Sport trim. I drove a Honda Fit awhile back and was not too impressed. Mazda is way more fun to drive and just as reliable, and not everyone owns one. I highly reccomend this car to anyone who doesnt want to spend alot but wants to get a sporty, fun, economy car that seats 4 comfortibly."

Zoom zoom with a few quirks

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great MPG, feels solid"

Cons: "Garment hooks? Mist option for the rear wiper?"

Lil Red Sled

"Traded my Fit Sport AT for the Mazda 2 because I live in the mountains and was tired of the Fit downshifting seemingly at will; also had some customer service issues with Honda that never got resolved, so I switched brands. The M2 is much more fun to drive than the Fit was, and is getting slightly better gas mileage. Two minor complaints about the Mazda: where are the garment hooks (this is, after all, a four door car, and it would be nice to be able to hang one's clothes)?, and why can't I swipe the back glass just once like I can the windshield? Pretty minor stuff. Had the opportunity recently to drive the M2 in the snow, and it is a great little snow car."

Lil Red Sled

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mazda MAZDA2 near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for