2014 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $27,035 - $28,325.

10/6.9

Based on 265 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

Zoom-Zoom SUV

By on Saturday, February 14, 2009

"Just plain fun to drive. Handles great, very good pickup, fantastic brakes and super AWD system. Silky smooth transmission. Quiet riding/interior, but somewhat of a bump ride when the road gets rough, but is very responsive in steering. Plenty of room, good sounding stock stereo, comfy seats. Not enough room to store all nick-nacks. Milage is somewhat sketchy, but if you drive mellow (no jack rabbit starts) you can easily get over 20MPG. All in all its a super CUV!!"

Actually a great car but...

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"the gas mileage absolutely stinks! The very best on a really long highway drive was 21.5 but city/highway combined-barely 16mpg."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Sunday, February 10, 2008

"We previously owned a VW Touraeg and needed to upgrade to something w/a 3rd row. We looked at all the usual suspects in this vehicle class...Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX, Buick Enclave, etc. None of them drove as smoothly, handled as well or had the ZIP of the CX-9. Throw in the economical price as the trump card and it was an irresistable choice. We ended up buying the a black on black Touring edition with the Bose package. So far zero issues. Only small complaint is the lack of a trip computer...also there is no audible warning when the gas light comes on, so pay attention. We gave up some luxury features moving from the Touraeg, but the CX-9's performance, handling and economy have more than made up for the difference. I would highly recommend this vehicle."

Totally repair-free auto...my first. Beautiful

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Fair price, drives/rides like a car. Trouble-free."

Cons: "no programmable garage door opener."

"This auto has never been to any shop for any repairs...I should probably keep it until it dies. Excellent appearance that still draws favorable comments. Outstanding for golf trips...holds our luggage, clubs and plug-in cooler with ease. Ride is exceptional...exactly like a car. Lack of programmable remote garage opener is a negative....using a garage door opener is so 1970's."

Best 7 passenger SUV for the money

By on Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, quite and smooth, bose stereo"

Cons: "low mpg, no fog lights/roof rail on Touring model"

"We bought this vehicle in early Oct 2012. We got the AWD Touring model with the Bose and Moonroof package and 2-tone leather interior for $29K. Already put in almost 4k miles in less than 3 months, drove it from SF to San Diego twice. The ride is smooth and quite, it drives like a car not as an SUV. Very roomy inside and easy access to the 3rd row compare to Toyota Highlander, Volvo XC90 and BMW X5. So far so good. Can't wait to try out the AWD when we go to the snow next month."

So many options for such a great value!

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "great features, great value, handles very well"

Cons: "no rear heated seats, no air cooled seats"

"I bought this SUV new after spending months comparison shopping several makes and models. I wanted all of the features of the best Audi Q7 at half the price. I got the top of the line touring edition with two tone leather interior, power liftgate, back up camera, wireless bluetooth, tow package, roof rack, bose, auto dimming mirrors, heated seats, 3 different climate control sections, 6 disc cd changer, satellite radio, AWD, V6... all the bells and whistles of the Audi at the Mazda price, just what I wanted! I am very happy with my purchase and everyone who rides in my SUV always compliments what a nice ride it is. I highly recommend this SUV. It drives like a racecar and has all the space and comforts I wanted for a comfortable road trip, plus the handling to drive in ice and snow so I can drive my friends up the passes to go skiing!"

A Sporty Alternative To Traditional SUVs

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

"Excellent value. Not sure why anyone would purchase a BMW X5 or Mercedes M Class, when this car is available for half the cost. Car handles extremely well, is very quiet, and rides comfortably although it does have a slightly firm suspension - not harsh, just not plush like a Highlander. Interior is well done with all the amenities. 3rd row is convenient - 2nd row seating can be moved forward to create additional room for 3rd row. Gas mileage is so-so - I get 17 in city driving, 21-22 on highway (at 75 mph). Previous car was a Highlander which had a nice ride, but didn't exactly inspire confidence at highway speeds."

great service, great ride

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive and priced right"

"this grand touring has been the best vehicle i have owned out of 22 cars that ive owned. handles like a nimble sedan and is a dream on the road. I have driven 70,000 highway miles in 2 years and it has never disappointed me. Ive had it serviced regularly, put new tires on at 50,000 miles and had the transmission serviced as recommended. NO repairs have been needed. I keep asking the shop to check and see if the brakes need servicing, but not yet."

Luxury for a fair price

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Pros: "Easy to drive, feels like a larger car"

"This car is comfortable, with great leather seats. Easy to park, love the pick up and alerts when another vehicle is in a blind spot. Large enough for a large family, or three large dogs! Love this car."

Great family vehicle

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, Great Looking, Good Power"

Cons: "Terrible mileage"

"We bought this with the rear entertainment system and it's a great overall vehicle for both long and short trips. The only complaint I have is that the gas mileage is terrible. I use it for 95% in-town driving and see about 14 MPG, nowhere NEAR the advertised ratings."

It's not perfect, but it's darn close!

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

Pros: "smooth ride, spacious, very comfortable, pretty"

Cons: "not very good on gas"

"I just bought a 2012 CPO (certified pre-owned)Mazda CX9 on Black Friday. I've been eyeballing CX9s for years, but didn't want to wait to make a move until my current vehicle kicked the bucket. Anyway, I bought the Touring model in Dolphin Gray Mica with black leather. I wanted white, but I've been very pleased with the gray. It's very pretty and is easy to keep clean (so far). I love everything about it except the mpg, but I knew it wasn't going to be good, so it wasn't a shocker. It rides so smoothly, has lots of space and is good-looking. It's also very easy to see out of, which was important to me. The Honda Pilot's back window is too big and the Traverse's back window is too small. The CX9 is perfect. I love the design and the layout. I'm very pleased with my purchase. No regrets here!"

Perfect for our growing family!

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "holds its resale value easy/fun to drive versitile"

Cons: "smart key is a pain"

"Love this car! we bought it when i was pregnant with our first child, now we have two kids with a third in the near future. Our CX-9 is part of the family! it is extremely versitile, it can hold a ton of kid stuff. The third row seating is really easy to put up and down, and the second row is just wide enough for 3 car seats. overall, i absolutely love this car!"

best car I ever owned

By on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Pros: "comfort, reliability"

Cons: "never needed the third seat."

"This car was a complete surprise as to its handling and comfort. I had just sold off a S 420 and had high expectations for the ride. I was not let down, and am reluctant to sell it for the same reason."

Only cosmetic issues

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "great price, good tech, tows a boat"

Cons: "cheap plastic on some inside stuff"

"the car is solid. I tow a 19 foot boat with it, no problem. I towed that boat from TX to FL and back again about 2 years ago. No problems. Stupid plastic inside the car scratched up, told by the dealer that it's not covered by extended warranty though it is an "advisory" that I would have got for free had I been coming in for dealer service. Clowns. Anyway, the car rocks. Get one."

Great Vehicle with a Few caveats

By on Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pros: "Great overall design, strong motor, comfortable"

Cons: "Trim , Cargo w/3rd row up, low mileage w/issues"

"We bought the Grand touring 2WD with the navigation. It handles like a car and is similar to a minivan in seating. First off we love the CX-9! It has a ton of features and is very comfortable for our family of 5. It can seat 7 but to carry anything other than a few coats. You have to put one of the 3rd row seats down for storage. Roof rack is light duty at best. The Blind spot monitor, back up camera,"

love this car.

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "very nice tight driving car..."

Cons: "front storage areas lacking"

"When looking for cross over, we wanted 3rd row seat but something smaller than Acadia or Enclave...came down to Mazda or the Ford Explorer. The dealer priced the Mazda about 3k less than the Ford comparing apples to apples although the ford has more hp. After a few months we can't find one thing to complain about and that says a lot. Have 2200 lb boat that I will pull in the spring... mileage has average 17.8 around town and as high as 26 on highway. Excellent car so far!!"

Great family SUV

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Size, price, style"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"The only, and I mean only, flaw I can find in this vehicle is the gas mileage. I get 18-20 mpg, and some competitors claim to do a little better. The styling is great, the interior is set up for maximum comfort and there is plenty of room for my two kids, two large dogs, wife and all of our luggage thanks to the trailer hitch and roof rack. For the money there is not a better vehicle out there. I have owned for three years and have needed nothing aside from oil changes."

mazda zoom zoom

By on Sunday, May 01, 2011

"I have not owned this vehicle for a long period of time but did alot of reseach before purchasing this one for the price, reliability and comfort. We currently lease a Lexus RX after two years into the lease we still like the vehicle but the mazda overall is an excellent value for the money and as far for fuel consumption allot of people complian upon it if you looked at the EPA Fuel Econmy Estimates it tells you 16mpg city and 22 highway more or less upon how you drive if anyone looking into purchasing a crossover I personally like the mazda."

Great SUV

By on Friday, March 18, 2011

"I have had my CX-9 for 3 years 56 thousand miles now. I really love my CX-9. However, there are a few improvements I would make. First the leather sets do not wear very well. I would recommend a higher quality leather. I was very disapointed when the leather on my drivers side set started to peel and crack after the first year(not covered under warranty as they considered it normal wear?) 2nd the navigation system needs upgrading. It get you were you want to go, but it may not be the best way to get there. The screen for the navigation system and the back up camera can be hard to see when light hit it. The Last is breaks - rotors warped before 36,000 miles and had to be smoothed out. (I would have liked them to have been replaced, but the warranty would not cover that. Still love the car as it handles great and is very comfortable, but I may look at others for my next purchase as I think it has a few minor quality issues."

Best 7 seater!

By on Tuesday, August 03, 2010

"I leased my CX-9 and will probably buy at the end of the lease. Amazing handling and car-like ride in city atmosphere. Love the touchscreen Nav, back up camera, etc. Finishes are high quality. Haven't had a single issue in 3 years (except for battery replacements in Smartkey)! Love that it takes regular gas, although MPG could be better (but I have a lead foot). Great for city driving and long family trips. Love the sliding 2nd row for the kids which moves up when there are people in the 3rd row. Adequate on snow and ice, but would be better with less sporty tires. Love the more responsive ride of the 20"wheels. My only complaint is the uncomfortable front headrests for short people. We considered the MDX, Acadia, Q7 and Pilot before choosing the Mazda. Excellent 7 seater SUV!!"

amazing vehicle

By on Wednesday, May 05, 2010

"The amount of car that I got for my dollar was amazing, truly a fun and exciting car to drive, has everything that I could want and more. I have never thought I would own a mazda but now that I do I will never buy anything else."

Buy This CUV

By on Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"I am a 56 yr old man and my last vehicle was a GMC Envoy. OH MY...this CX-9 (loaded GT fwd) is an unbelievable improvement. I have a 2008 with 34,000 miles and have not had one single issue. This is by leaps and bounds the very best auto I have ever owned. Smooth riding, very quiet, quick, sporty and more room than the Envoy or my Tahoe I owned before the Envoy. Anyone needing a 3 row vehicle or something with cargo space is foolish not to look at this auto. I have the white on gray with nav, dvd, bluetooth, and all the bells and whistles. Not one single problem!!! MPG is ok with 18 city and 22/23 hwy. Drive through the mountains of Colorado and the fwd is fantastic! All I can say is if you are in the market for a SUV or CUV, you will cheat yourself big time if you don't check out the Mazda CX-9!"

First time Mazda Owner - Blown away by quality

By on Friday, August 07, 2015

Pros: "Body integrity, options, handling, power, comfort"

Cons: "No Daytime Running lights, mpg a bit low"

"Traded in a 2013 Highlander SE that had interior rattles Toyota could not seem to resolve. Very disappointing given Toyota's reputation. Started scouting CX-9, finally dumped the Highlander lease in favor of a 2015 CX-9 AWD Touring w/Tech Pckg. Wanted the extra ride comfort of the 18" wheels, so stayed away from the Grand Touring's 20" rims. 5 months into the new lease, I can say this: the quality on all levels blows the Toyota away. It feels solid, heavy, because an SUV should feel that way, unlike the Highlander which felt tinny, lightweight, and under-insulated. Body integrity, inside and out, is tight and well put together. Comfort, handling, power and looks are exactly what the reviews have been saying. Mountain curves and highway cruising is phenomenal. Bottom line? Best car I've ever owned, I'm racking up too many miles than the lease allows, because I always look for excuses to drive it. It's that kind of car. I'll buy it at lease end anyway, so no big deal. If you're looking in this category, BUY. THIS. CAR."

Needs to get better gas milage

By on Thursday, February 24, 2011

"Great driving experience, quiet and responsive. My sister in law has an Acura MDX, and the CX-9 runs smoother and quieter. Major issue is the gas milage, as I am barley getting 17 MPG combined. I was expecting much closer to 20 MPG. This has become a major issue, and may be reason enough to trade it in. Other issues that I have are that the car does not come standard with automatic headlights. I have a 2000 Chevy that does, so I dont understand why in this day and age it is not standard. Also the car does not lock automatically when you put it in gear. This is another feature that I am used to, and do not understand why the CX-9 does not offer this basic saftey feature. For a car in this price range both of the above in my opinon should be standard options in the base model. Mind you that my car is not base. The other minor thing is that for taller individuals the CX-9 can be quite hard to get into with out hitting your head. This is something I knew when I purchased the vehicle, so I was willing to live with it based on the overall driving experince. Overall I would recommend this vehicle to a friend if they are willing to live with the gas milage issue. The other problems I have with the car are more personal, and may not influence another buyer. The car drive like a luxury car, and responds to every command the driver gives it."

Head Turner

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Wow - what a vehicle. Did great in the last snowstorm we had when my front wheel drive saab let us down. Had enough room to pick up another couple who was stranded and easily traversed the icy hillside. Love IT!"