• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $26,855 - $28,044.

10/6.9

Based on 238 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

best car i've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

"regular maintenance and cleaning runs and looks like new. absolutely no problems at all."

Quiet, smooth, responsive, lots of space

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, practical, quiet, spacious"

Cons: "Not the greatest mpg"

"Really a well built car. A pleasure to drive. Comfortable seating."

One of the best SUV`s on the auto market.

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Excellent styling design handling and quality"

Cons: "Stiff ride in back seats"

"No further comments"

Best car ever owned-86300 miles w/ few problems.

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliability. Comfort. Family friendly."

Cons: "Big vehicle so gas mileage not great. Duh."

"Ultra reliable.Only had one major issues which was rear wheel bearings (rare problem) replaced under warranty at 50000 miles. Other than that, just tires and oil changes. Check brakes every year and still they are OK. Incredible. Drives great."

you will spend way to much on gas

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

"Oh where to start...... I love/hate this vehicle. It looks good, drives good and is very comfortable to sit in. The ride is a bit clunky and I'm very disappointed in the gas milage. No where near what I expected. I don't drive crazy nor do I haul heavy loads yet I get only about 12 miles to the gallon. Please keep this in mind when considering the Mazda cx9"

Solid all around value with a few minor drawbacks

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Handling, versatility, comfortable seating"

Cons: "Quirky radio/climate controls"

"Purchased new in early 2012, we were drawn to the Mazda CX-9 by the roomy, comfortable interior with high quality materials and a 3rd row seat in a fairly compact package. Ease of opening and folding the 3rd row seat sold the wife on this car. She loves it. So do I. With 22000 miles, the CX-9 has had only two unscheduled visits to the dealer. 1. A power steering belt broke; and 2. I had to cut the seat belt in the right rear to extract my child who had been squirming around and got himself inextricably entwined in the seat belt which cinched up around him and could not be unfastened. Mazda was good enough to cover that repair even though I didn't expect them to. A bit disappointed with 16-17 MPG city and 22 hwy. but with adequate acceleration. Had hoped for 3-4 MPG more each. Braking very good with 80% pads left after 22,000 miles. Brakes squeak occasionally when cold but there is a kit Mazda installs to eliminate this. Excellent driving position and comfort on long hauls. No fatigue after a 3 1/2 hour drive and that's exceptional for me with my bad back. Love the Blind Spot Monitoring system. Works great. The gauges are a bit dated looking and are either too bright or too dim at night with limited adjustability. A very slight turn of the dimmer knob either direction maxes it out either way. The rear view camera provides a somewhat distorted view to the rear. Daylight glare on the screen washes out that view. Handling is exceptional for an SUV of this size. But ride can be a bit bouncy on certain surfaces with the 20" wheels on the Grand Touring. And the OEM Bridgestone tires became rather noisy with a loud humm after 20,000 miles. The radio/climate controls beep every time you make a selection. Wish I knew how to turn that off. It's a bit annoying. And the radio/climate display read out at the top center of the dash is not prominent enough. I prefer a clearer, larger display. Also, the keyless ignition on the 2012 model is a bit quirky. The keyless fob allows you to turn the "dummy" ignition switch on the steering column, as opposed to a "push start-push off" button. None of that is that big of a deal to us however. Overall, we're very happy, and glad we bought the 2012 model. We DO NOT LIKE the 2013-2014 exterior redesign."

Love my CX-9 - 115,000 miles and going strong!

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, feel safe, love the sleek style"

"I drive a lot of miles and really enjoy the luxury and comfort and handling of the CX-9. It has all the features I want in a sleek and sexy style. Handles well and I feel safe in this vehicle. Our daughter is learning to drive in this SUV and I feel comfortable knowing it has great safety features."

good and bad, all subjective... next!

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "Cargo room, relative comfort, reliability"

Cons: "Forward angled steering/dash, bulky/cheap feel"

"Bought this '11 GT FWD new coming out of an '08 Pathfinder... wanted something more car like in drivability, but still needed lots of cargo room. Almost didn't buy due to FWD torque steer and driver position/steering/dash reach. Mostly the reasons I'll likely be trading this tomorrow on a VW AWD Touareg. The Mazda is nice, it is very reliable, and drives pretty well, but does feel big, cause it is! It has a HUGE amount of cargo space, which I needed more than now at purchase time. Maybe I should have gotten the AWD, but wanted better gas mileage which is pretty lame as it is (17.5 avg). I hate the FWD torque steer. Almost dangerous in 'need to get out of the way' situations. It just spins the front tires. Worse for me (at 5'8") is the angle of the steering wheel (also too small IMO) and dash (all forward leaning) and the subsequent far reach for all. A '9/3' hand position on the wheel is almost impossible when pedal distance is correct. Nav screen not readable in sunlight due to this ridiculous angle as well. (Nav is also not very intuitive to use). Other gripes is lack of lit up controls like windows (besides drivers), locks, mirrors, etc, which I didn't catch til first night drive after purchase-have to open the dang door to see the lock/unlock button! ... cost cutting, but lame. Stereo is way boomy and too much low/low mids, not natural. Truck feels thin and cheap to me. Having said that, I got a great deal on it when buying, and it wasn't that expensive to begin with. So, you get what you pay for. Bluetooth does work well, and voice recognition is decent. As stated, it's a very nice truck/car, probably better suited to bigger folks with long arms! The above mentioned are deal breakers for me though, so after lots of research, going back to German solidness/engineering (had a few Beemers and Audis). More expensive, but again, you get what you pay for."

Great car. I would recommend buying one!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "all around fun car yet great for the family"

Cons: "window and lock controls hard to reach"

"This is the first new car I have ever purchased. When comparing to the domestic counterparts, this car was a steal. Very functional, decent mileage, great for my large family, and fun to drive."

Great family vehicle

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, Great Looking, Good Power"

Cons: "Terrible mileage"

"We bought this with the rear entertainment system and it's a great overall vehicle for both long and short trips. The only complaint I have is that the gas mileage is terrible. I use it for 95% in-town driving and see about 14 MPG, nowhere NEAR the advertised ratings."

See if you qualify for