2011 Mazda CX-9

Based on 275 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

best car I ever owned

By on Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pros: "comfort, reliability"

Cons: "never needed the third seat."

"This car was a complete surprise as to its handling and comfort. I had just sold off a S 420 and had high expectations for the ride. I was not let down, and am reluctant to sell it for the same reason."

Great Vehicle with a Few caveats

By on Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pros: "Great overall design, strong motor, comfortable"

Cons: "Trim , Cargo w/3rd row up, low mileage w/issues"

"We bought the Grand touring 2WD with the navigation. It handles like a car and is similar to a minivan in seating. First off we love the CX-9! It has a ton of features and is very comfortable for our family of 5. It can seat 7 but to carry anything other than a few coats. You have to put one of the 3rd row seats down for storage. Roof rack is light duty at best. The Blind spot monitor, back up camera,"

love this car.

By on Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pros: "very nice tight driving car..."

Cons: "front storage areas lacking"

"When looking for cross over, we wanted 3rd row seat but something smaller than Acadia or Enclave...came down to Mazda or the Ford Explorer. The dealer priced the Mazda about 3k less than the Ford comparing apples to apples although the ford has more hp. After a few months we can't find one thing to complain about and that says a lot. Have 2200 lb boat that I will pull in the spring... mileage has average 17.8 around town and as high as 26 on highway. Excellent car so far!!"

Great family SUV

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Size, price, style"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"The only, and I mean only, flaw I can find in this vehicle is the gas mileage. I get 18-20 mpg, and some competitors claim to do a little better. The styling is great, the interior is set up for maximum comfort and there is plenty of room for my two kids, two large dogs, wife and all of our luggage thanks to the trailer hitch and roof rack. For the money there is not a better vehicle out there. I have owned for three years and have needed nothing aside from oil changes."

mazda zoom zoom

By on Sunday, May 1, 2011

"I have not owned this vehicle for a long period of time but did alot of reseach before purchasing this one for the price, reliability and comfort. We currently lease a Lexus RX after two years into the lease we still like the vehicle but the mazda overall is an excellent value for the money and as far for fuel consumption allot of people complian upon it if you looked at the EPA Fuel Econmy Estimates it tells you 16mpg city and 22 highway more or less upon how you drive if anyone looking into purchasing a crossover I personally like the mazda."

Great SUV

By on Friday, March 18, 2011

"I have had my CX-9 for 3 years 56 thousand miles now. I really love my CX-9. However, there are a few improvements I would make. First the leather sets do not wear very well. I would recommend a higher quality leather. I was very disapointed when the leather on my drivers side set started to peel and crack after the first year(not covered under warranty as they considered it normal wear?) 2nd the navigation system needs upgrading. It get you were you want to go, but it may not be the best way to get there. The screen for the navigation system and the back up camera can be hard to see when light hit it. The Last is breaks - rotors warped before 36,000 miles and had to be smoothed out. (I would have liked them to have been replaced, but the warranty would not cover that. Still love the car as it handles great and is very comfortable, but I may look at others for my next purchase as I think it has a few minor quality issues."

Best 7 seater!

By on Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"I leased my CX-9 and will probably buy at the end of the lease. Amazing handling and car-like ride in city atmosphere. Love the touchscreen Nav, back up camera, etc. Finishes are high quality. Haven't had a single issue in 3 years (except for battery replacements in Smartkey)! Love that it takes regular gas, although MPG could be better (but I have a lead foot). Great for city driving and long family trips. Love the sliding 2nd row for the kids which moves up when there are people in the 3rd row. Adequate on snow and ice, but would be better with less sporty tires. Love the more responsive ride of the 20"wheels. My only complaint is the uncomfortable front headrests for short people. We considered the MDX, Acadia, Q7 and Pilot before choosing the Mazda. Excellent 7 seater SUV!!"

amazing vehicle

By on Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"The amount of car that I got for my dollar was amazing, truly a fun and exciting car to drive, has everything that I could want and more. I have never thought I would own a mazda but now that I do I will never buy anything else."

Buy This CUV

By on Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"I am a 56 yr old man and my last vehicle was a GMC Envoy. OH MY...this CX-9 (loaded GT fwd) is an unbelievable improvement. I have a 2008 with 34,000 miles and have not had one single issue. This is by leaps and bounds the very best auto I have ever owned. Smooth riding, very quiet, quick, sporty and more room than the Envoy or my Tahoe I owned before the Envoy. Anyone needing a 3 row vehicle or something with cargo space is foolish not to look at this auto. I have the white on gray with nav, dvd, bluetooth, and all the bells and whistles. Not one single problem!!! MPG is ok with 18 city and 22/23 hwy. Drive through the mountains of Colorado and the fwd is fantastic! All I can say is if you are in the market for a SUV or CUV, you will cheat yourself big time if you don't check out the Mazda CX-9!"

Nice car for a larger car need.

By on Sunday, July 17, 2016

Pros: "nice seats and durability"

Cons: "A little noisy on high way, might just be mine."

"Larger storage with all back seats down, have moved plenty large boxes and coaches. Smaller kids can sit comfortable in the third row, as five full size adults sit in front and middle seat. This car has given me lots of safety, while providing a smooth ride for family and friends. I would recommend this to anyone."

Needs to get better gas milage

By on Thursday, February 24, 2011

"Great driving experience, quiet and responsive. My sister in law has an Acura MDX, and the CX-9 runs smoother and quieter. Major issue is the gas milage, as I am barley getting 17 MPG combined. I was expecting much closer to 20 MPG. This has become a major issue, and may be reason enough to trade it in. Other issues that I have are that the car does not come standard with automatic headlights. I have a 2000 Chevy that does, so I dont understand why in this day and age it is not standard. Also the car does not lock automatically when you put it in gear. This is another feature that I am used to, and do not understand why the CX-9 does not offer this basic saftey feature. For a car in this price range both of the above in my opinon should be standard options in the base model. Mind you that my car is not base. The other minor thing is that for taller individuals the CX-9 can be quite hard to get into with out hitting your head. This is something I knew when I purchased the vehicle, so I was willing to live with it based on the overall driving experince. Overall I would recommend this vehicle to a friend if they are willing to live with the gas milage issue. The other problems I have with the car are more personal, and may not influence another buyer. The car drive like a luxury car, and responds to every command the driver gives it."

Head Turner

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Wow - what a vehicle. Did great in the last snowstorm we had when my front wheel drive saab let us down. Had enough room to pick up another couple who was stranded and easily traversed the icy hillside. Love IT!"

By on Friday, January 7, 2011

Awesome SUV

By on Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Awesome SUV! Live in the mountains and it handles the curves and climbs great! I have taken it in the snow and it held the road wonderfully. Big enough to hall my grand kids to the snow along with their gear! No road noise, nice interior-love the red lighting! I really feel secure driving this SUV. Again it's awesome!"

You gotta get one!!!

By on Friday, July 9, 2010

"If you want a quality vehicle this is the one, plenty of leg room (head room in the third row seating lacks room but good for kids). The ride is awesome, the sound system is great! It's an all around quality car!!"

Not a bad bang for your buck.

By on Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"The CX-9 Delivers exactly what you pay for. And it looks amazing, much better than the Mercedes-Benz for 10k more, and in my humble opinion better then the Acura which is also about 10k more. With almost 280bhp this car has great drive ability. Overall i'm very satisfied and would recommend this vehicle to anybody."

Best buy ever

By on Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Compared this with several others...Lexus, Acura, Infinity ect. This is our first mazda, and absolutely love it! Have a GT AWD with navigation. Love the amenities and smooth ride. Great value and get compliments all the time on the looks. I would definitely recommend this car!"

Great crossover

By on Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"Best bet for replacing full size SUV. Fast and comfortable however drinks like a fish."

Saved my life.

By on Friday, October 2, 2009

"I bought a 2008 CX-9 in January of 2008 and totalled it on October 1st, 2009. I hit a semi truck at 40 mph (t-boned it - my fault) and I should have been killed. The car's crumple zones and air bags worked exactly as designed and I walked away with a scratch on my left hand and some chest pain from the seat belt force. I'm buying a 2009 CX-9 tomorrow to replace it. It is an exceptional car with great power, a quiet ride, plenty of room, an excellent stereo system, great handling and it is exceptionally safe."

Solid car

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"bought a loaded grand touring and it is awesome get 18mpg overall in mostly city driving,, an eye catching body and a comfortable interior, like a floating living room with the dvd system and bose premium sound 1 small negative is no trip computer which is odd for vehicle in this price range"

Best minivan alternative for those with 2 kids.

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Asian Transmission, reliability, quality"

Cons: "Upgrade to better rotors is a must."

"My CX-9 is a FWD 2008, Grand Touring with every option possible. The only difference in the 2011/2012 from the 08/09 is an updated fob, new front bumper with redesigned fog lights, different wheels, and a couple changes to the interior. Interior changes are: softer leather, some button re-arrangement on the steering wheel and center console. It now has traffic alerts on the Nav as well as streaming stereo bluetooth for those who buy the GT. The rear center console has buttons for the air controls rather than knobs. The only problems I have had with my 2008 with 40k miles are the following: Fan/Blower motor relay went bad, a 10 dollar part. Replaced the front rotors and pads. The CX-9 tends to go through brakes faster than most vehicles because the rotors are a bit smaller than they should be. To counteract this, you can buy aftermarket cross drilled and slotted rotors which dissapate heat better. The CX-9 drives like a sports car, with the exception that you can feel its 4,000 lb weight going around corners, but it still handles way better than any other 3 row crossover. The 6 speed transmission with autostick is shared by the V6 Lexus suv's and the VW Toureg. It is an Asian/Japanese transmission, and is nearly indestructable. It is only rated for 3500 lbs of towing, but this is a plus because that means it is not built with bricks, and does not weigh anything close to the Buick Enclave. My wife and I love our CX-9. It is very reliable, it is fast, drives very very well, GT has 20 inch wheels with 50 profile tires, so if you dont like a very firm ride, then dont get the GT. With the great engine, transmission, bucket seats, nav, moonroof, Bose 9 1 (sub) sound system, power liftgate, performance handling, leather, HID headlamps, and you can easily negotiate one for 34-36,000 new, there is just nothing out there that compares for that price. I got mine used, in near new, perfect condition, no scratches on wheels. 32k miles, like new inside and out, for 23k in Feb. 2011 and it was sold to the original customer in October, 2008, and sat at the VW dealer during winter of 2010/2011 so it was actually only driven for 2 years. If you look hard you can get a really good deal on a used one. I cannot recommend the CX-9 high enough. I come from a VW background, and got really tired of all the maintenance problems. I am very satisfied with my Mazda. Its a little slice of Heaven. The reason I say it is good for 2 kids is because you have to slide the 2nd row seat(s) forward to access the 3rd row, so if you have one rearfacing child seat, then you cant really slide that seat foward much. If you have forward facing childseats, then there is ok room to access the 3rd row. I am 240 lbs 6 foot 1 and can comfortably sit in the 3rd row with adults in the 2nd row. It really is not bad. However, if you use the 3rd row, there is not much room for cargo behind the 3rd row. Great SUV."

Zoom Zoom

By on Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"I bought a new 2008 GT AWD with every major option except the DVD and all for $32K. What a bargain! I was trading a 4 year old MB C240 4matic wagon which both me and my wife hated and I had some very specific requirements from her for a replacement. It must seat 7, it must have AWD, it must look nice, it must be sporty and it must be less than 35k. That narrowed the field to a very few contenders. I chose the Mazda over the Highlander (too soft and too boring), the Pilot (too truck like and slow), the MB (much too expensive) and the Volvo (too small and too slow) because it has all the practicality of a large SUV with the performance and handling of a sports sedan, and at the price, it was a bargain to boot! The car has not dissappointed. It is comfortable, quiet, very nice inside and has almost every creature comfort and safety feature you could want, almost too the point of overkill. This is my first Mazda and I just can't figure out why I waited so long. The only reason to buy one of the "lifestyle" brand equivalents (MB, BMW, Porsche) is if you were willing to pay 10k extra for the badge. Pro's: Very lively engine and gearbox. Great handling. Looks great. Lane departure system. Back up camera. Power rear hatch. Bose stereo. Huge value for money. Con's: No XM. Bluetooth interface is voice only (very annoying to program the calling list). Nav system is not as good as Honda. Some of the interior trim seems a little fragile. Overall: Very pleased"

super car

By on Thursday, October 1, 2009

"I am a 50 year old male have had a few cars in my time the cx-9 is by far the best auto I have ever own, drives and performs great. My spouse and I lease the car and we were hook could only buy the car cause we like it so well. The only down fall was we started hearing wind noise."

Awesome Value

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"In our search, we looked at all available GM products, Honda '09 Pilot, BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Audi. We purchased the CX-9 and are very happy with all the features. We added aftermarket DVD because sunroof option did not allow it from the manuf. We saved $1000. It would have been nice if the sunglass holder had the rearview passenger mirror like Honda. Nav can be a little tricky due to all the driver safety features. Only complaint from wife is that she does not have a good place to put her purse. Great Zoom-Zoom in an SUV package! Competitors give no more, for more money."

Just purchased, so first impression only.

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Value for money, and a very WOW interior."

Cons: "None as yet."

"I wont comment too much on performance or reliability since I've only just purchased this July 2012, (I will update on that after 3000 miles), but based on all reviews, and my test drive, I cant see anything lacking from a pure performance standpoint in this CX9 compared to other 7 passenger SUV's, in fact the opposite looks true right now. I'll at least tell you why I purchased the CX9 and traded in my GMC Acadia. Firstly - wow, what an interior for the price, this surely has to be the best value for money 7 seater package out there. I purchased a Touring CX9 with two tone Leather seats, 10 speaker Bose Sound package, Moon Roof, Rear camera, key less start, and Power Lift-gate, all for $31,500, and when I stack that up against the same mid level GMC Acadia, with similar options, your talking a saving of over $6,000 for what is essentially a like for like optioned third row SUV. I checked out the Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Ford Flex, and Honda Pilot, and when it came to actually trying to negotiate an off the lot price nobody came close to the Mazda CX9. Everyone was basically $5 - $6,000 more expensive with nothing more to show for it. I test drove the CX9 before this purchase and obviously I can only compare to the Acadia. I found it more nimble, and more "road connected", and more driver connected, it felt just more of a sporty drive all round, and that with the added lux of riding on leather, with the moon roof and sound system, I just thought, wow, why wouldn't I ? So I did !!! I'll update again soon on performance and handling when I've been round the block a bit more. But as it stand right now this is a quiet cabin, nimble and responsive ride, and feels nothing like you'd expect for a 7 passenger vehicle. Right now, happy chappy, well impressed !"