2010 Mazda CX-9

Based on 259 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

Great value, great handling

By on Monday, July 08, 2013

Pros: "Everything but the mileage"

Cons: "Mileage so far, but need to break in the engine"

"We lookeed at the Dodge Journey (drove like a truck), the Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and Kia (Both were more difficult to enter the third row). This car was, by far, the most stylish and comfortable to drive. Good pick-up, smooth ride, and the interior driver/passenger compartment feels luxurious. Bought the Grand Touring, need to finish breaking in the engine, then a road triip is in order. We sold my wife's VW Eos hard-top convertible, worst car we've ever owned. Upgraded wheels on this one (20 inch powder coated black) DVD, Nav system, Bose = $36,000 total. Not bad."

Great value, great handling

By on Monday, July 08, 2013

Pros: "Everything but the mileage"

Cons: "Mileage so far, but need to break in the engine"

Smiling while driving.

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

"Yes, the car has a smile but so do I - enjoying the comfort with the seating, drive response, and the high tech cockpit enhanced by the console. As with any SUV, visiting friends on farms or events where they force you to park on cow pastures is easer to tolerate with the higher ground clearance. Also when friends and family visits there is enough room to end car caravans. The difference, with the CX9, is the styling - it doesn't look like an utilitarian suv. The only disadvantage I've experienced is that the third row seating is difficult to access; it is relegated to kids or agile adults. Our decision to purchase this CX9 was not just new toys emotion, it was practical. My prior car was an RX300; when we were shopping for the 350 we decided to save the 10K$ difference. Quality and all the features are there - not a single regret."

Best family vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Love to drive"

Cons: "Only con would be getting to the third row"

"This car is sporty, sleek and roomy! I have owned quite a few cars and this one is the best yet! I have two kids and nieces and nephews who stay with me quite often, so I needed a roomy vehicle and didn't want a minivan. This is the perfect solution. I love the nav system with the dvd player for the kids and the third row is just what I needed! Even with the third row up, I still can get groceries. Love, love, love this car!"

Absolute best in drive and comfort!

By on Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pros: "Great design, interior flexibilty, and drive!"

Cons: "None so far"

"I traded in my 2002 Mazda 626 for the 2013 CX-9. After test driving an Explorer and a Pathfinder, we took the CX-9 for a spin. There simply is no comparison. While the Pathfinder has more length (and therefore slightly more third seat room), the CX-9 felt luxurious in comparison. The interior is beautiful and functional- not to mention the most comfortable we tested. It drives smooth, quiet, and powerful. The typical Mazda "zoom" is apparent even in their largest vehicle while driving as though it were a sedan, hugging curves and parking with ease. I love that the middle row slides to allow for comfort. The interior design is sleek and very inviting. We got lucky and ended up purchasing a Demo vehicle, which allowed us to afford the Grand Touring. The Bose stereo is amazing! Even the kids are impressed. I drove my first Mazda for 11 years and I can definitely see myself in this one for another 11 !"

Reliable, comfortable, good highway mileage

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "dependability, comfort, driving"

Cons: "backing up, space, paint scratches easily"

"I bought this car new in 2008 and have been driving it hard ever since. I recently passed 100,000 miles. The only major repair I have had to do was to replace a tie rod. I've changed the oil every 7000 miles, replaced the tires once, brakes once, but other than that have never had a problem with it. My only complaints are that the front seat area is a little cramped with the center console, and it is scary backing up (hard to see out back - should have gotten the back up camera) but the comfort and dependability truly outweigh any negatives. I have averaged 18-20 mph around town and 24 on the highway. Great pickup and braking."

Love this vehicle!

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

"If you need lots of space, but don't want to feel like you are driving a school bus, here is your answer. Vehicle handles like a car and doesn't feel nearly as big as it is."

BACK TO MY CX-9

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Absolutely none"

"Let me start by saying I've owned Mazda vehicles since 1991, starting with a '91 626, a '03 Protege (which by the way is still on the road at 268,000 miles),'09 Mazda 3 (too small) which I traded for the '10 CX-9 (no problems at all with it and should have kept it, but at the time, thought it was too big), then traded down to a '11 CX-7 (which I really really disliked). So here I am again back to the newly redesigned '13 CX-9 and I couldn't be happier and plan on keeping it for a long time. I bought the Touring model in Zeal Red (what a beautiful color). The dealership detailed it by simonizing the exterior and conditioning the leather interior (there is a warranty on the leather) and it looks amazingly beautiful, not to mention the nimble handling and absolute comfort of the CX-9. I love the bluetooth, the back-up camera, the heated seats, the blind spot monitoring and so on. So glad I purchased this vehicle again. I absolutely love it and have received many head turns on the road! Don't hesitate to purchase this vehicle, you won't be sorry! In my opinion, Mazda has always been underrated because of Honda and Toyota vehicles, but these babies can keep up those vehicles and in some instances surpass them."

Test drove 7 SUVs and this was by far the nicest

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "price, ride, comfort, tech package, looks, size"

Cons: "mpg, head room, vents in 3rd row"

"Of the SUVs I test-drove, the Pathfinder, Pilot, and Traverse were too cavernous. The Explorer was everything it's reviews said it would be. The Acadia was too expensive. The Durango is very nice and I almost bought it but it's more vehicle than I needed (got nothing to tow). The CX-9 was the only SUV that I got excited about after the test drive. It's really the Goldilocks of SUVs: not too big, not too small. We took it on a 2-hour drive to Boston this weekend and it was a beautiful ride. I love all the tech stuff (newbie). The Mazda website does not do justice to the looks of this car. It's much sharper looking in person and I've gotten lots of nice compliments. Blind side monitoring is great. The heated leather seats are dreamy. The telescoping steering column is the longest I've ever seen. The driver's seat goes back so far, I couldn't reach the pedals. We got about 22.5 mpg combined hwy/city I have some criticism of the car but it's nitpicking. A little more headroom would be nice (I'm 6'2"). Vents need to be added to the 3rd row. The foot well was a little narrow but not as bad as the Explorer. The speakers are a little awkward. The are louder up front than in the rear when Fade is in middle. So much so that I returned the vehicle to dealer to have them turn on the rear speakers. I was just not turning the volume up loud enough to get the subwoofer to really kick in. I have the fade almost all the way to rear and it sounds much better now."

Simplicity made difficult

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable and fun to drive."

Cons: "It's the little things."

"Overall, I love the handling and comfort of my CX9 but there are a few annoyances. First the locking/security system makes getting in and out a chore. When using the remote start the only door that will open is the driver's door so on those cold/ rainy/ snow days when everyone want to get in right away, only the driver can and then must activate the unlock button on the door to open the passenger doors and the auto lift gate. I also often have trouble with the keyless entry opening all doors (maybe it needs a new battery). The keyless ignition leaves me on a continual hunt for the keys on the way in and out of the car. I am not sure what advantage it gives a person who uses the remote/ keyless entry fob regularly. Putting the key in the ignition has never been that difficult a task for me. Just saying. Second, while the 3rd row offers a fair amount of leg room, lifting and lowering the 3rd row while the second row in the furthest back position is impossible. The second row must be moved forward to lift the 3rd row due to the headrests on 3rd row. So when loading things into the cargo area if the 3rd row is up and 2nd row is not far enough forward, you can't fold the third row down until you go to the passenger doors (both sides) and move the second row forward same goes for putting third row up. Third, the climate control panel is more complicated than it needs to be. Scrolling thought the Modes to find the right setting (feet, face, defrost, both, etc) is one more way Mazda has made simplicity complicated. While these issues don't effect the handling or performance of the vehicle, these design /engineering flaws make the CX9's convenience and ease of use often frustrating."

excellent midsize suv

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

"I've had the CX9 for 5 year, it's a great midsize SUV."

Excellent 7 seat CUV that is actually fun to drive

By on Monday, January 21, 2013

Pros: "lots of car for money. good handling and looks"

Cons: "gas mileage."

"Excellent large crossover. Beautiful inside and out. good value compared to competition and out drives them all! I am 5'10", 230 lbs and can sit in the 3rd row pretty comfortably. Has been reliable, though wheel bearing have a tendency to prematurely wear out. Gas mileage could be better. Did not some with satelite radio connection and expensive to have installed later."

i realy like the dising style and size of this car

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

I want this car

"i cant wait no more to buy this sexy car exelent dising looks awesome hopefuly i will buy it this summer i will keep this car for a verry long time.."

BEST SUV ON THE MARKET !!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "Lots of technology ,lots of luxury"

Cons: "nothing at all"

"I love my CX-9.I have the 2012 Grand Touring and I love everything about this car."

2011 CX9 Awful experience so far

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "Interior space layout"

Cons: "Quality, reliability, and Mazda customer service"

"The good: For a SUV, this vehicle handles very well on dry pavement. The layout of the interior space is well thought out meaning that there is plenty of room for a vehicle this size, love the fact that the second row slides back and forth, access to 3rd row is quite good, and the trunk space is very good with 3rd row folded down, and in all fairness even though not much room with 3rd row in place, lets face it, it’s not a suburban size vehicle, so I rate it an “A”. GPS screen is very large and adjustable. The bad. Quality of fit and finish are just barely ok (expected much better for a top of the line Mazda MSRP of $40,100) A lot of short comings in small details: In auto light mode the dash is so dark during the day, that you have to keep switching the dashboard lights back to day in order to see anything, specially the GPS and backup camera which are just black. Information center is cheap and you have to toggle to get info. EG you need to choose between knowing the passenger temp. setting and outside temp! If you start car, and want to back up immediately, you have to wait an eternity for the backup camera because the screen stays lit with the words “Mazda”. Your knees will hit the Steering column if you are anything over average height. While the engine performs well under a heavy foot, it under performs under everyday driving, because it has little torque, forcing the car to down shift even at the slightest need for power, even on the highway. The hill descend can be very harsh and erratic, and in my opinion can almost pose a danger on icy conditions. Gas mileage is very poor for a car of this size. Recent 600 miles mostly highway trip returned 18.2 mpg, and on average I get 16-17 mpg….my 2009 Tahoe was better with a 5.3 V8! Loud for a luxury SUV with noticeable wind, road (specially 20” wheels), and engine noise. Engine sounds cheap and somewhat unrefined for a V6. Even with the upgraded stereo, sound quality is barley average. The HID lights are very good (and adjustable), but high beams are inadequate. GPS is a total let down with long winded menu and awful directions, and at 2am on a lonely country road, it will insist that there is heavy traffic ahead….absolutely a useless device. Once the new car smell wears off, the car feels boring and mundane, and typically don’t age well. The very bad (the reason for my review): Transfer case failed at 3500 miles Whining sound at low speed (over 3 weeks in the shop…national back order) Minor electrical issues with windows. Car uses a quart of oil every 2500-3000 miles, Mazda says that this is with in their guide lines….guidelines state that it can use a quart every 1500 miles. Breaks started pulsating at around 9000 miles (beware; it is not covered under the 3/36K bumper to bumper warranty. Transfer case failed again at 16,000 miles. Whining sound at low speed Transfer case failed again at 16,800 miles. Loud whining sound at low speed Whining is still there, but I am now told after Mazda USA contacted dealer, that it is within normal range. Mazda USA repeatedly promised to call me back with in 48 hours, but never has. Mazda will only provide $30 a day for rental, so if your car is in the shop, keep in mind that a 2 wheel drive economy car typically cost you around $45 a day, and you may end up like me carrying a 3 and a 5 year old for half a mile in the snow to get home  Conclusion: I think most of you know I do not recommend this car, but fortunately for me this was a lease, unfortunately in considering in trading it in for an alternate brand car based on the numbers the car would have cost me an astonishing $962 a month if I choose to bail out after 16 months. I am not sure how Mazda has swept this under the rug, but they should call and voluntarily recall every owner of a 2010, 2011 and 2012, (I have been told the older ones had a different case….not sure of 2013) and replace their transfer cases with a reliable transfer case regardless of failure or not. I also want people to know that I have been told by a Mazda tech. that even a failing transfer case can continue to operate for 20-30,000 miles before it physically fails, so you may be driving a bad one and only find out when it finally leaves you stranded with no factory warranty. If your car is a 2010, 2011, 2012, you “really should” have the transfer case inspected, because most people may not notice the gradual deterioration. Mine started sounding loud at very low speeds, especially when cold. I have no respect for Mazda, and will not buy another Mazda, because after repeated (4) phone calls to the original Mazda rep. (Dan) I cannot get a call back. It’s a shame what Mazda is doing, because with the internet today, consumers can get the word out, and it never pays to bite the hands that feed you."

One of the best SUV's on the market

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "Good looking, fun to drive, all the features"

Cons: "Needs more cup holders, that's about it"

"Bought this car the week of Christmas for my wife. We'd test driven many SUV's. Her last Mazda was a 2002 Tribute that we both enjoyed. We drove the Ford Explorer, Nissan Rogue, and the Mazda CX-9. By far we were the most impressed with the Mazda. The drivers cockpit just molds around you, the way you sit down in it is wonderful. The car drives and handles like a sports car with all the room and storage capacity of a large SUV. We were able to get this car for under $26,000, so it was a steal. We decided on the Touring model, b/c we didn't need all the fancy bells and whistles of the Grand Touring. If you get a chance, go drive on you won't be sorry. I'll strongly consider buying a Mazda for my next car. Plus Mazda has some great add ons you can buy like stain guard on the interior (great when you have kids) and different things like that."

Best 7 passenger SUV for the money

By on Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, quite and smooth, bose stereo"

Cons: "low mpg, no fog lights/roof rail on Touring model"

"We bought this vehicle in early Oct 2012. We got the AWD Touring model with the Bose and Moonroof package and 2-tone leather interior for $29K. Already put in almost 4k miles in less than 3 months, drove it from SF to San Diego twice. The ride is smooth and quite, it drives like a car not as an SUV. Very roomy inside and easy access to the 3rd row compare to Toyota Highlander, Volvo XC90 and BMW X5. So far so good. Can't wait to try out the AWD when we go to the snow next month."

good car. terible mpg

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "good price for 2012 model. stable quiet ride"

Cons: "ways behind competitors on tech and efficiency"

"Got this car brand new about 2wks now. Gt fully loaded Pros: good handling, nice interior, good bose sound system, better leather than honda toyota or nissan, nice exterior. Cons: interior lighting is very dim when headlights are on; info and gauges display is red - aging and not soothing on long drives; GPS costs $1500 but won't match performance and feature of a $100 portable unit, no street name guidance, just turn left or turn right; ride is bumpy even on smooth interstates. It actually is better in local travel since you're not going as fast. Lower tire pressure to 34 psi front and 32 psi back help but did not make it go away; TERIBLE MPG. Actual city is between 10-14 mpg. Highway @75 mph is around 20 mpg. You better subtract 3 miles from EPA estimate. No way you would get the estimate MPG if you drive normally. Highway passing is sluggish. You got to floor it before the car would give you the passing power after downshifting. City passing or merging is more than enough. I was actually thinking about trading it in for another car after a week of ownership. A bit calmer now but not happy. Will definitely trade it in within 3 years."

MPG terrible! Faulty electronics!

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "zoom zoom"

Cons: "just about everything else"

"MPG very misleading. Not even close. AWD hardly helps in winter conditions. Tires very expensive to replace and not even stocked by dealer or tire companies. You may have to wait days for a tire if you need one replaced. Electronic system and "smart key" system very unreliable. Stylish, space and quickness (zoom zoom) is nice, but certainly not worth all the other headaches. Hopefully the newer models have been improved. But i don't think I'll ever find out as I would never buy another one. Also, I found my dealer to be very uncooperative after the sale was made. I would never buy another car from them no matter the make."

Best Car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, luxury, reliable, flexible"

"I bought the car new in 2007 and spend alot of time in it. I have changed the oil regularly, performed regular scheduled maintenance, replaced tires and new brake pads at 93000 miles (yes),just because I couldn't believe they could possibly be good. But the mechanic said they weren't even close. This car is great. I regularly fit my wife and 4 kids in the car for trips of several hours. I pop the backseat down and in goes the tuba. This car does it all, zoom-zoom, school bus, band equipment truck, luxury to take out clients and after 5 years it still looks brand new. You have to get one!"

Best cross over among the crowd

By on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Pros: "Smooth highway ride,quiet,speed,Top class interior"

Cons: "None."........."..........."

"I just bought it this CX9 last week .drove only 75 miles so far .Woow what a smooth ride.!i test drive Honda pilot,Toyota highlander and the explorer. I believe this one handles highway ride so good and it's interior finish is top class . All in on you a get a premium vehicle . I think this one belongs the luxury vhecile catgogery ."

I love driving again!

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, bose sound system, quiet drive"

Cons: "Not as must storage space as you would like"

"I of course bought this car used, wasn't financially in the market for anything brand new. I test drove the Ford Flex, Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, Ford Edge and did my homework regarding the particular specs of each vehicle. It came down to the Flex and the CX9. The CX9 won! Why? It's overall value was it. When compared to the others who were actually later models, this one drove better than them all by far. The Flex was more plush but a little too plush with no sportiness to it and started to remind me of the Honda Odyssey we used to own. Even my wife was very impressed with the CX9 and she did not even want to look at the Flex. I feel guilty because sometimes I just want to get in it just to go for a ride, I love driving this car. It sits high, and the seating is comfortable for even a 6"2 guy like myself and you can really carry 7 adults in reasonable comfort.I also can't say enough about the Bose sound system!"

2nd Impression - update on previous review

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Driving quality, great interior package, value."

Cons: "There ain't none yet!"

"Well, not yet at the 3000 mile update review point that I promised, but at 500 miles I' just thought I'd update my 1st impression review with this 2nd impression review: LOVE IT ! It really is a nice drive, just did first mini road trip in it, and it lived up to everything I had in my 1st impression review. Very quite, smooth ride, very nice handling for a larger SUV, and very responsive when that quick pick up is needed. Still can't get over the value for money upgrades and interior over competitive vehicles. Trying hard to keep it honest by pointing out something I didn't like, but honestly, I just haven't found anything annoying in this car yet ? Oh, wait, that center console cup holder is slightly wider than the Acadia was, how annoying is that, I'll have to upgrade the coffe cup to something slightly fatter :-) So, the mini road trip, 2 adults, me 6 ft 2 inches, 2 grown up teens, and 4 suitcases, and a full tank, but the handling was just as It was when driving alone. Nice vehicle for those long rides and feels sporty and nippy around town for a large SUV. I think that's what I've noticed most, I don't feel like I'm driving a 7 passenger SUV, and I always did in the Acadia. Still 10 out of 10 for me !"

Just purchased, so first impression only.

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Value for money, and a very WOW interior."

Cons: "None as yet."

"I wont comment too much on performance or reliability since I've only just purchased this July 2012, (I will update on that after 3000 miles), but based on all reviews, and my test drive, I cant see anything lacking from a pure performance standpoint in this CX9 compared to other 7 passenger SUV's, in fact the opposite looks true right now. I'll at least tell you why I purchased the CX9 and traded in my GMC Acadia. Firstly - wow, what an interior for the price, this surely has to be the best value for money 7 seater package out there. I purchased a Touring CX9 with two tone Leather seats, 10 speaker Bose Sound package, Moon Roof, Rear camera, key less start, and Power Lift-gate, all for $31,500, and when I stack that up against the same mid level GMC Acadia, with similar options, your talking a saving of over $6,000 for what is essentially a like for like optioned third row SUV. I checked out the Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Ford Flex, and Honda Pilot, and when it came to actually trying to negotiate an off the lot price nobody came close to the Mazda CX9. Everyone was basically $5 - $6,000 more expensive with nothing more to show for it. I test drove the CX9 before this purchase and obviously I can only compare to the Acadia. I found it more nimble, and more "road connected", and more driver connected, it felt just more of a sporty drive all round, and that with the added lux of riding on leather, with the moon roof and sound system, I just thought, wow, why wouldn't I ? So I did !!! I'll update again soon on performance and handling when I've been round the block a bit more. But as it stand right now this is a quiet cabin, nimble and responsive ride, and feels nothing like you'd expect for a 7 passenger vehicle. Right now, happy chappy, well impressed !"

not a fan

By on Monday, July 02, 2012

Pros: "Handles nicely"

Cons: "3rd row, key fob, alternator bad @19K, blind spots"

"When I first purchased the vehicle it was pulling to the left badly! At 19K miles, I had to replace the alternator and something else. Here we are at 60K and it is in the shop again! Most likely the alternator, battery for sure. We will know soon. My biggest complaint is that it has terrible visibility. It has many blind spots. My kids complain if they have to sit in the 3rd row, my youngest is 9, you would think at least she and her friends would be comfortable. Very little storage space for your drinks, purse, etc. Terrible mileage. My Yukon Denali XL had a lot more power and similar mileage! I will never buy another cx 9!! The key fob/key is also a big pain in the rump. The speakers are awful, drove a newer one than mine and they were even worse! A lot of vibration! No get up and go, it's a real dud! My absolute least favorite vehicle out of any I have owned. Do your homework, drive all of the vehicles in this category before deciding on one."