• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2010 Mazda CX-9

Based on 246 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

BEST SUV ON THE MARKET !!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "Lots of technology ,lots of luxury"

Cons: "nothing at all"

"I love my CX-9.I have the 2012 Grand Touring and I love everything about this car."

2011 CX9 Awful experience so far

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "Interior space layout"

Cons: "Quality, reliability, and Mazda customer service"

"The good: For a SUV, this vehicle handles very well on dry pavement. The layout of the interior space is well thought out meaning that there is plenty of room for a vehicle this size, love the fact that the second row slides back and forth, access to 3rd row is quite good, and the trunk space is very good with 3rd row folded down, and in all fairness even though not much room with 3rd row in place, lets face it, it’s not a suburban size vehicle, so I rate it an “A”. GPS screen is very large and adjustable. The bad. Quality of fit and finish are just barely ok (expected much better for a top of the line Mazda MSRP of $40,100) A lot of short comings in small details: In auto light mode the dash is so dark during the day, that you have to keep switching the dashboard lights back to day in order to see anything, specially the GPS and backup camera which are just black. Information center is cheap and you have to toggle to get info. EG you need to choose between knowing the passenger temp. setting and outside temp! If you start car, and want to back up immediately, you have to wait an eternity for the backup camera because the screen stays lit with the words “Mazda”. Your knees will hit the Steering column if you are anything over average height. While the engine performs well under a heavy foot, it under performs under everyday driving, because it has little torque, forcing the car to down shift even at the slightest need for power, even on the highway. The hill descend can be very harsh and erratic, and in my opinion can almost pose a danger on icy conditions. Gas mileage is very poor for a car of this size. Recent 600 miles mostly highway trip returned 18.2 mpg, and on average I get 16-17 mpg….my 2009 Tahoe was better with a 5.3 V8! Loud for a luxury SUV with noticeable wind, road (specially 20” wheels), and engine noise. Engine sounds cheap and somewhat unrefined for a V6. Even with the upgraded stereo, sound quality is barley average. The HID lights are very good (and adjustable), but high beams are inadequate. GPS is a total let down with long winded menu and awful directions, and at 2am on a lonely country road, it will insist that there is heavy traffic ahead….absolutely a useless device. Once the new car smell wears off, the car feels boring and mundane, and typically don’t age well. The very bad (the reason for my review): Transfer case failed at 3500 miles Whining sound at low speed (over 3 weeks in the shop…national back order) Minor electrical issues with windows. Car uses a quart of oil every 2500-3000 miles, Mazda says that this is with in their guide lines….guidelines state that it can use a quart every 1500 miles. Breaks started pulsating at around 9000 miles (beware; it is not covered under the 3/36K bumper to bumper warranty. Transfer case failed again at 16,000 miles. Whining sound at low speed Transfer case failed again at 16,800 miles. Loud whining sound at low speed Whining is still there, but I am now told after Mazda USA contacted dealer, that it is within normal range. Mazda USA repeatedly promised to call me back with in 48 hours, but never has. Mazda will only provide $30 a day for rental, so if your car is in the shop, keep in mind that a 2 wheel drive economy car typically cost you around $45 a day, and you may end up like me carrying a 3 and a 5 year old for half a mile in the snow to get home  Conclusion: I think most of you know I do not recommend this car, but fortunately for me this was a lease, unfortunately in considering in trading it in for an alternate brand car based on the numbers the car would have cost me an astonishing $962 a month if I choose to bail out after 16 months. I am not sure how Mazda has swept this under the rug, but they should call and voluntarily recall every owner of a 2010, 2011 and 2012, (I have been told the older ones had a different case….not sure of 2013) and replace their transfer cases with a reliable transfer case regardless of failure or not. I also want people to know that I have been told by a Mazda tech. that even a failing transfer case can continue to operate for 20-30,000 miles before it physically fails, so you may be driving a bad one and only find out when it finally leaves you stranded with no factory warranty. If your car is a 2010, 2011, 2012, you “really should” have the transfer case inspected, because most people may not notice the gradual deterioration. Mine started sounding loud at very low speeds, especially when cold. I have no respect for Mazda, and will not buy another Mazda, because after repeated (4) phone calls to the original Mazda rep. (Dan) I cannot get a call back. It’s a shame what Mazda is doing, because with the internet today, consumers can get the word out, and it never pays to bite the hands that feed you."

One of the best SUV's on the market

By on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Pros: "Good looking, fun to drive, all the features"

Cons: "Needs more cup holders, that's about it"

"Bought this car the week of Christmas for my wife. We'd test driven many SUV's. Her last Mazda was a 2002 Tribute that we both enjoyed. We drove the Ford Explorer, Nissan Rogue, and the Mazda CX-9. By far we were the most impressed with the Mazda. The drivers cockpit just molds around you, the way you sit down in it is wonderful. The car drives and handles like a sports car with all the room and storage capacity of a large SUV. We were able to get this car for under $26,000, so it was a steal. We decided on the Touring model, b/c we didn't need all the fancy bells and whistles of the Grand Touring. If you get a chance, go drive on you won't be sorry. I'll strongly consider buying a Mazda for my next car. Plus Mazda has some great add ons you can buy like stain guard on the interior (great when you have kids) and different things like that."

Best 7 passenger SUV for the money

By on Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, quite and smooth, bose stereo"

Cons: "low mpg, no fog lights/roof rail on Touring model"

"We bought this vehicle in early Oct 2012. We got the AWD Touring model with the Bose and Moonroof package and 2-tone leather interior for $29K. Already put in almost 4k miles in less than 3 months, drove it from SF to San Diego twice. The ride is smooth and quite, it drives like a car not as an SUV. Very roomy inside and easy access to the 3rd row compare to Toyota Highlander, Volvo XC90 and BMW X5. So far so good. Can't wait to try out the AWD when we go to the snow next month."

good car. terible mpg

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "good price for 2012 model. stable quiet ride"

Cons: "ways behind competitors on tech and efficiency"

"Got this car brand new about 2wks now. Gt fully loaded Pros: good handling, nice interior, good bose sound system, better leather than honda toyota or nissan, nice exterior. Cons: interior lighting is very dim when headlights are on; info and gauges display is red - aging and not soothing on long drives; GPS costs $1500 but won't match performance and feature of a $100 portable unit, no street name guidance, just turn left or turn right; ride is bumpy even on smooth interstates. It actually is better in local travel since you're not going as fast. Lower tire pressure to 34 psi front and 32 psi back help but did not make it go away; TERIBLE MPG. Actual city is between 10-14 mpg. Highway @75 mph is around 20 mpg. You better subtract 3 miles from EPA estimate. No way you would get the estimate MPG if you drive normally. Highway passing is sluggish. You got to floor it before the car would give you the passing power after downshifting. City passing or merging is more than enough. I was actually thinking about trading it in for another car after a week of ownership. A bit calmer now but not happy. Will definitely trade it in within 3 years."

MPG terrible! Faulty electronics!

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "zoom zoom"

Cons: "just about everything else"

"MPG very misleading. Not even close. AWD hardly helps in winter conditions. Tires very expensive to replace and not even stocked by dealer or tire companies. You may have to wait days for a tire if you need one replaced. Electronic system and "smart key" system very unreliable. Stylish, space and quickness (zoom zoom) is nice, but certainly not worth all the other headaches. Hopefully the newer models have been improved. But i don't think I'll ever find out as I would never buy another one. Also, I found my dealer to be very uncooperative after the sale was made. I would never buy another car from them no matter the make."

Best Car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, luxury, reliable, flexible"

"I bought the car new in 2007 and spend alot of time in it. I have changed the oil regularly, performed regular scheduled maintenance, replaced tires and new brake pads at 93000 miles (yes),just because I couldn't believe they could possibly be good. But the mechanic said they weren't even close. This car is great. I regularly fit my wife and 4 kids in the car for trips of several hours. I pop the backseat down and in goes the tuba. This car does it all, zoom-zoom, school bus, band equipment truck, luxury to take out clients and after 5 years it still looks brand new. You have to get one!"

Best cross over among the crowd

By on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Pros: "Smooth highway ride,quiet,speed,Top class interior"

Cons: "None."........."..........."

"I just bought it this CX9 last week .drove only 75 miles so far .Woow what a smooth ride.!i test drive Honda pilot,Toyota highlander and the explorer. I believe this one handles highway ride so good and it's interior finish is top class . All in on you a get a premium vehicle . I think this one belongs the luxury vhecile catgogery ."

I love driving again!

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, bose sound system, quiet drive"

Cons: "Not as must storage space as you would like"

"I of course bought this car used, wasn't financially in the market for anything brand new. I test drove the Ford Flex, Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, Ford Edge and did my homework regarding the particular specs of each vehicle. It came down to the Flex and the CX9. The CX9 won! Why? It's overall value was it. When compared to the others who were actually later models, this one drove better than them all by far. The Flex was more plush but a little too plush with no sportiness to it and started to remind me of the Honda Odyssey we used to own. Even my wife was very impressed with the CX9 and she did not even want to look at the Flex. I feel guilty because sometimes I just want to get in it just to go for a ride, I love driving this car. It sits high, and the seating is comfortable for even a 6"2 guy like myself and you can really carry 7 adults in reasonable comfort.I also can't say enough about the Bose sound system!"

2nd Impression - update on previous review

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Driving quality, great interior package, value."

Cons: "There ain't none yet!"

"Well, not yet at the 3000 mile update review point that I promised, but at 500 miles I' just thought I'd update my 1st impression review with this 2nd impression review: LOVE IT ! It really is a nice drive, just did first mini road trip in it, and it lived up to everything I had in my 1st impression review. Very quite, smooth ride, very nice handling for a larger SUV, and very responsive when that quick pick up is needed. Still can't get over the value for money upgrades and interior over competitive vehicles. Trying hard to keep it honest by pointing out something I didn't like, but honestly, I just haven't found anything annoying in this car yet ? Oh, wait, that center console cup holder is slightly wider than the Acadia was, how annoying is that, I'll have to upgrade the coffe cup to something slightly fatter :-) So, the mini road trip, 2 adults, me 6 ft 2 inches, 2 grown up teens, and 4 suitcases, and a full tank, but the handling was just as It was when driving alone. Nice vehicle for those long rides and feels sporty and nippy around town for a large SUV. I think that's what I've noticed most, I don't feel like I'm driving a 7 passenger SUV, and I always did in the Acadia. Still 10 out of 10 for me !"

Just purchased, so first impression only.

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Value for money, and a very WOW interior."

Cons: "None as yet."

"I wont comment too much on performance or reliability since I've only just purchased this July 2012, (I will update on that after 3000 miles), but based on all reviews, and my test drive, I cant see anything lacking from a pure performance standpoint in this CX9 compared to other 7 passenger SUV's, in fact the opposite looks true right now. I'll at least tell you why I purchased the CX9 and traded in my GMC Acadia. Firstly - wow, what an interior for the price, this surely has to be the best value for money 7 seater package out there. I purchased a Touring CX9 with two tone Leather seats, 10 speaker Bose Sound package, Moon Roof, Rear camera, key less start, and Power Lift-gate, all for $31,500, and when I stack that up against the same mid level GMC Acadia, with similar options, your talking a saving of over $6,000 for what is essentially a like for like optioned third row SUV. I checked out the Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Ford Flex, and Honda Pilot, and when it came to actually trying to negotiate an off the lot price nobody came close to the Mazda CX9. Everyone was basically $5 - $6,000 more expensive with nothing more to show for it. I test drove the CX9 before this purchase and obviously I can only compare to the Acadia. I found it more nimble, and more "road connected", and more driver connected, it felt just more of a sporty drive all round, and that with the added lux of riding on leather, with the moon roof and sound system, I just thought, wow, why wouldn't I ? So I did !!! I'll update again soon on performance and handling when I've been round the block a bit more. But as it stand right now this is a quiet cabin, nimble and responsive ride, and feels nothing like you'd expect for a 7 passenger vehicle. Right now, happy chappy, well impressed !"

not a fan

By on Monday, July 02, 2012

Pros: "Handles nicely"

Cons: "3rd row, key fob, alternator bad @19K, blind spots"

"When I first purchased the vehicle it was pulling to the left badly! At 19K miles, I had to replace the alternator and something else. Here we are at 60K and it is in the shop again! Most likely the alternator, battery for sure. We will know soon. My biggest complaint is that it has terrible visibility. It has many blind spots. My kids complain if they have to sit in the 3rd row, my youngest is 9, you would think at least she and her friends would be comfortable. Very little storage space for your drinks, purse, etc. Terrible mileage. My Yukon Denali XL had a lot more power and similar mileage! I will never buy another cx 9!! The key fob/key is also a big pain in the rump. The speakers are awful, drove a newer one than mine and they were even worse! A lot of vibration! No get up and go, it's a real dud! My absolute least favorite vehicle out of any I have owned. Do your homework, drive all of the vehicles in this category before deciding on one."

A great car--fun to drive

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "A lively, versatile, and comfortable SUV"

Cons: "nothing I can think of"

"I've had my CX-9 for a little over a year. It has a been a great car--fun to drive, lots of pep, and plenty of room. Love the seating/cargo flexibility. I have the Grand Touring model and absolutely love the xenon headlights that come on this model. Driving at night used to be difficult for me, but not with these headlights. I don't have the Navi or moonroof and am thinking of trading my car for another Grand Touring CX-9 with a few more bells and whistles. I love my Sirius radio, too, so have to have that again, but this time with a Bose system. All in all, a terrific car. You know the commercials for Mazda--"Zoom, Zoom"--well, this car does that and more."

Best AWD ever

By on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pros: "mileage, driveability, great in snow."

Cons: "A little more storage in center console"

"Had Chevy Suburban, Toyota Sequoia and Honda Pilot. Never needed the off road of Chevy or Toyota. New Honda has been so cheapened. Mostly highway from Boston to ski resort in Maine every weekend in winter. Absolute must in snow territory. Excellent in snow or wet conditions. My mileage is great. Consistent 23-24 mpg on highway 70 mph. Around town it's 18 mpg. I calculate actual miles and then gallons used. The mpg on the dash is always 2 mpg lower than my calculation.Anyway it's quiet, fun to drive and a good value. 2 friends who tested mine bought a new one."

We have 90000 on 2007 GT AWD model. handles great

By on Thursday, May 10, 2012

Cons: "mileage"

"Fun driving"

Great car with few flaws

By on Monday, April 09, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, somewhat sporty"

Cons: "Too much plastic, small third row, poor mileage"

"I've had mine for five years now and I love it. My only complaints are the low quality of the interior, ridiculously small third row and poor gas mileage. I have taken it to the dealer twice in the last five years only because the air conditioner broke down. Overall though it is a fantastic car."

Great family vehicle

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "fast, quiet, rides good, comfortable seating"

Cons: "gas mileage, trying to get in the 3rd row"

"I have only had one problem out of this vehicle in 85,000. The air conditioning cabin filter got clogged and would not let the condensation out of the vehicle and shorted out my AC fan. It was a maintainace mistake on my part. One of the best SUV's out there"

Provides lots of sport

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Price, ride, handling, utility, regular gas"

Cons: "Dated navigation, spare tire placement"

my 2010 Mazda CX-9 on delivery day

"I like the ride and handling of the CX-9. It is not as luxurious as its up market competition but the Grand Touring version has all of the features I need. For the price I paid, it was a bargain. It can cart 101 cubic feet of stuff with the second and third rows folded and with the standard (GT version) Bose audio, navigation, Bluetooth, and blind spot monitors it provides welcome entertainment and information during the haul. It is also nice that it drinks from the regular unleaded pond. It is a worthy member of the zoom-zoom clan."

my 2010 Mazda CX-9 on delivery day

Lots and lots of money and time in repairs!!

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

"14k in repairs in the first 2 years and still on going issues. Mazdas customer service has been of no help. When the car is running well it is awesome, too bad that is a rare event for mine. I'll never buy another cx-9!!"

comfortable ride, tons of storage

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "comfortable ride and drivability"

Cons: "city mpg only 17-18."

"This car has ample storage for all our road trips, very confortable ride. No repairs necessary since I've bought it and I put 20 K miles a year on it."

This has been my favorite car to own and drive.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive! Great Value"

Cons: "blind spots...but electronic sensors override this"

"Compared to others cars test driven in this class, the CX-9 drives most like a car...with a Zoom Zoom hug the road feel. The cockpit feels very sport. Seeting and cargo is superior and flexible. Great value compared to the high-end luxury crossovers. Love This Car!"

Love this vehicle!!!

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"The best SUV I have ever owned....Love it, love it, love it."

I love Mazda!

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Looks great, fun to drive, roomy, good gas mileage"

"I love the design of Mazda vehicles. Have had an MPV and a 3 and the 2008 CX-9. Considering getting another CX-9, and a CX-5 for my wife. Great cars!"

Drives like a car

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

"This car drives great but it could use more latch systems for carseats. The front dash has a nice design but for the price I was expecting a little more, at least a six disc in dash cd changer or the link system to the garage door. Overall, it's a really nice looking car, handles wonderfully but with 3 kids under 5 and a teenager, we've outgrown it."

Perfect for our growing family!

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "holds its resale value easy/fun to drive versitile"

Cons: "smart key is a pain"

"Love this car! we bought it when i was pregnant with our first child, now we have two kids with a third in the near future. Our CX-9 is part of the family! it is extremely versitile, it can hold a ton of kid stuff. The third row seating is really easy to put up and down, and the second row is just wide enough for 3 car seats. overall, i absolutely love this car!"