• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2009 Mazda CX-9

Based on 238 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

I love driving again!

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, bose sound system, quiet drive"

Cons: "Not as must storage space as you would like"

"I of course bought this car used, wasn't financially in the market for anything brand new. I test drove the Ford Flex, Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, Ford Edge and did my homework regarding the particular specs of each vehicle. It came down to the Flex and the CX9. The CX9 won! Why? It's overall value was it. When compared to the others who were actually later models, this one drove better than them all by far. The Flex was more plush but a little too plush with no sportiness to it and started to remind me of the Honda Odyssey we used to own. Even my wife was very impressed with the CX9 and she did not even want to look at the Flex. I feel guilty because sometimes I just want to get in it just to go for a ride, I love driving this car. It sits high, and the seating is comfortable for even a 6"2 guy like myself and you can really carry 7 adults in reasonable comfort.I also can't say enough about the Bose sound system!"

2nd Impression - update on previous review

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Driving quality, great interior package, value."

Cons: "There ain't none yet!"

"Well, not yet at the 3000 mile update review point that I promised, but at 500 miles I' just thought I'd update my 1st impression review with this 2nd impression review: LOVE IT ! It really is a nice drive, just did first mini road trip in it, and it lived up to everything I had in my 1st impression review. Very quite, smooth ride, very nice handling for a larger SUV, and very responsive when that quick pick up is needed. Still can't get over the value for money upgrades and interior over competitive vehicles. Trying hard to keep it honest by pointing out something I didn't like, but honestly, I just haven't found anything annoying in this car yet ? Oh, wait, that center console cup holder is slightly wider than the Acadia was, how annoying is that, I'll have to upgrade the coffe cup to something slightly fatter :-) So, the mini road trip, 2 adults, me 6 ft 2 inches, 2 grown up teens, and 4 suitcases, and a full tank, but the handling was just as It was when driving alone. Nice vehicle for those long rides and feels sporty and nippy around town for a large SUV. I think that's what I've noticed most, I don't feel like I'm driving a 7 passenger SUV, and I always did in the Acadia. Still 10 out of 10 for me !"

Just purchased, so first impression only.

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Value for money, and a very WOW interior."

Cons: "None as yet."

"I wont comment too much on performance or reliability since I've only just purchased this July 2012, (I will update on that after 3000 miles), but based on all reviews, and my test drive, I cant see anything lacking from a pure performance standpoint in this CX9 compared to other 7 passenger SUV's, in fact the opposite looks true right now. I'll at least tell you why I purchased the CX9 and traded in my GMC Acadia. Firstly - wow, what an interior for the price, this surely has to be the best value for money 7 seater package out there. I purchased a Touring CX9 with two tone Leather seats, 10 speaker Bose Sound package, Moon Roof, Rear camera, key less start, and Power Lift-gate, all for $31,500, and when I stack that up against the same mid level GMC Acadia, with similar options, your talking a saving of over $6,000 for what is essentially a like for like optioned third row SUV. I checked out the Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Ford Flex, and Honda Pilot, and when it came to actually trying to negotiate an off the lot price nobody came close to the Mazda CX9. Everyone was basically $5 - $6,000 more expensive with nothing more to show for it. I test drove the CX9 before this purchase and obviously I can only compare to the Acadia. I found it more nimble, and more "road connected", and more driver connected, it felt just more of a sporty drive all round, and that with the added lux of riding on leather, with the moon roof and sound system, I just thought, wow, why wouldn't I ? So I did !!! I'll update again soon on performance and handling when I've been round the block a bit more. But as it stand right now this is a quiet cabin, nimble and responsive ride, and feels nothing like you'd expect for a 7 passenger vehicle. Right now, happy chappy, well impressed !"

not a fan

By on Monday, July 02, 2012

Pros: "Handles nicely"

Cons: "3rd row, key fob, alternator bad @19K, blind spots"

"When I first purchased the vehicle it was pulling to the left badly! At 19K miles, I had to replace the alternator and something else. Here we are at 60K and it is in the shop again! Most likely the alternator, battery for sure. We will know soon. My biggest complaint is that it has terrible visibility. It has many blind spots. My kids complain if they have to sit in the 3rd row, my youngest is 9, you would think at least she and her friends would be comfortable. Very little storage space for your drinks, purse, etc. Terrible mileage. My Yukon Denali XL had a lot more power and similar mileage! I will never buy another cx 9!! The key fob/key is also a big pain in the rump. The speakers are awful, drove a newer one than mine and they were even worse! A lot of vibration! No get up and go, it's a real dud! My absolute least favorite vehicle out of any I have owned. Do your homework, drive all of the vehicles in this category before deciding on one."

A great car--fun to drive

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "A lively, versatile, and comfortable SUV"

Cons: "nothing I can think of"

"I've had my CX-9 for a little over a year. It has a been a great car--fun to drive, lots of pep, and plenty of room. Love the seating/cargo flexibility. I have the Grand Touring model and absolutely love the xenon headlights that come on this model. Driving at night used to be difficult for me, but not with these headlights. I don't have the Navi or moonroof and am thinking of trading my car for another Grand Touring CX-9 with a few more bells and whistles. I love my Sirius radio, too, so have to have that again, but this time with a Bose system. All in all, a terrific car. You know the commercials for Mazda--"Zoom, Zoom"--well, this car does that and more."

Best AWD ever

By on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pros: "mileage, driveability, great in snow."

Cons: "A little more storage in center console"

"Had Chevy Suburban, Toyota Sequoia and Honda Pilot. Never needed the off road of Chevy or Toyota. New Honda has been so cheapened. Mostly highway from Boston to ski resort in Maine every weekend in winter. Absolute must in snow territory. Excellent in snow or wet conditions. My mileage is great. Consistent 23-24 mpg on highway 70 mph. Around town it's 18 mpg. I calculate actual miles and then gallons used. The mpg on the dash is always 2 mpg lower than my calculation.Anyway it's quiet, fun to drive and a good value. 2 friends who tested mine bought a new one."

We have 90000 on 2007 GT AWD model. handles great

By on Thursday, May 10, 2012

Cons: "mileage"

"Fun driving"

Great car with few flaws

By on Monday, April 09, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, somewhat sporty"

Cons: "Too much plastic, small third row, poor mileage"

"I've had mine for five years now and I love it. My only complaints are the low quality of the interior, ridiculously small third row and poor gas mileage. I have taken it to the dealer twice in the last five years only because the air conditioner broke down. Overall though it is a fantastic car."

Great family vehicle

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "fast, quiet, rides good, comfortable seating"

Cons: "gas mileage, trying to get in the 3rd row"

"I have only had one problem out of this vehicle in 85,000. The air conditioning cabin filter got clogged and would not let the condensation out of the vehicle and shorted out my AC fan. It was a maintainace mistake on my part. One of the best SUV's out there"

Provides lots of sport

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Price, ride, handling, utility, regular gas"

Cons: "Dated navigation, spare tire placement"

my 2010 Mazda CX-9 on delivery day

"I like the ride and handling of the CX-9. It is not as luxurious as its up market competition but the Grand Touring version has all of the features I need. For the price I paid, it was a bargain. It can cart 101 cubic feet of stuff with the second and third rows folded and with the standard (GT version) Bose audio, navigation, Bluetooth, and blind spot monitors it provides welcome entertainment and information during the haul. It is also nice that it drinks from the regular unleaded pond. It is a worthy member of the zoom-zoom clan."

my 2010 Mazda CX-9 on delivery day

Lots and lots of money and time in repairs!!

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

"14k in repairs in the first 2 years and still on going issues. Mazdas customer service has been of no help. When the car is running well it is awesome, too bad that is a rare event for mine. I'll never buy another cx-9!!"

comfortable ride, tons of storage

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "comfortable ride and drivability"

Cons: "city mpg only 17-18."

"This car has ample storage for all our road trips, very confortable ride. No repairs necessary since I've bought it and I put 20 K miles a year on it."

This has been my favorite car to own and drive.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive! Great Value"

Cons: "blind spots...but electronic sensors override this"

"Compared to others cars test driven in this class, the CX-9 drives most like a car...with a Zoom Zoom hug the road feel. The cockpit feels very sport. Seeting and cargo is superior and flexible. Great value compared to the high-end luxury crossovers. Love This Car!"

Love this vehicle!!!

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"The best SUV I have ever owned....Love it, love it, love it."

I love Mazda!

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Looks great, fun to drive, roomy, good gas mileage"

"I love the design of Mazda vehicles. Have had an MPV and a 3 and the 2008 CX-9. Considering getting another CX-9, and a CX-5 for my wife. Great cars!"

Drives like a car

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

"This car drives great but it could use more latch systems for carseats. The front dash has a nice design but for the price I was expecting a little more, at least a six disc in dash cd changer or the link system to the garage door. Overall, it's a really nice looking car, handles wonderfully but with 3 kids under 5 and a teenager, we've outgrown it."

Perfect for our growing family!

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "holds its resale value easy/fun to drive versitile"

Cons: "smart key is a pain"

"Love this car! we bought it when i was pregnant with our first child, now we have two kids with a third in the near future. Our CX-9 is part of the family! it is extremely versitile, it can hold a ton of kid stuff. The third row seating is really easy to put up and down, and the second row is just wide enough for 3 car seats. overall, i absolutely love this car!"

Fantastic all around SUV

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Wonderful vehicle! Great driving experience, plenty of power, plenty of room, lots of nice features inside with SAT and NAVI. Heated seats, third row seats. Very quick and nimble vehicle for an SUV. Quality really shows in the interior construction. No complaints at all so far! No returns to the dealership for any issue."

We love our CX 9! It looks and drives wonderfully

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Stylish, great dash, fun to drive, comfortable!"

Cons: "No heated side mirrors and fuel economy"

"I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a roomy SUV. I love the style, handling, roominess, comfort etc. My only wish was for better fuel economy, but averaging 16-18 mpg for a vehicle as large as this isn't too bad either. Rating was for 16 mpg city and 22 highway. Haven't been on a long trip to see what just highway mileage would be. I also wish that it had heated side mirrors. It should be standard in a $36,000 vehicle. Other than that, I love the vehicle and would buy another one tomorrow. We recommended to a friend of ours and she loves her's as well."

best car I ever owned

By on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Pros: "comfort, reliability"

Cons: "never needed the third seat."

"This car was a complete surprise as to its handling and comfort. I had just sold off a S 420 and had high expectations for the ride. I was not let down, and am reluctant to sell it for the same reason."

Best CUV ever , the feeling of a car,SUV space

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "luxury inside, excellent, good space for passenger"

Cons: "not enought space on the trunk for travel loaded."

"best CUV, the only one on it's class to offer the feeling of a sport car in a SUV body, the best...."

I love this car best one I've owned yet!

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "high quality for the money!"

Cons: "brakes had to be replaced a little soon."

"I bought this car for traveling and I absolutely love it. It is very comfortable and drives great. I have driven in snow and heavy rain very fast on the autobahn in Germany without a problem."

So many options for such a great value!

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "great features, great value, handles very well"

Cons: "no rear heated seats, no air cooled seats"

"I bought this SUV new after spending months comparison shopping several makes and models. I wanted all of the features of the best Audi Q7 at half the price. I got the top of the line touring edition with two tone leather interior, power liftgate, back up camera, wireless bluetooth, tow package, roof rack, bose, auto dimming mirrors, heated seats, 3 different climate control sections, 6 disc cd changer, satellite radio, AWD, V6... all the bells and whistles of the Audi at the Mazda price, just what I wanted! I am very happy with my purchase and everyone who rides in my SUV always compliments what a nice ride it is. I highly recommend this SUV. It drives like a racecar and has all the space and comforts I wanted for a comfortable road trip, plus the handling to drive in ice and snow so I can drive my friends up the passes to go skiing!"

love it

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

"I owned a Lexus before the Mazda Cx-9 and I love my Mazda more!! I am going to buy another one for sure!"

Great car

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Cons: "rear A/c Given me problems"

"polymer trimmed interior easily scratches but performance, comfort and reliability excellent! Relays controlling climate control fans have created some problems when car is turned off. Other than these minor issues car is awesome--especially since I have three boys (2 teenagers), 3 dogs (2 very large) and two cats."

See if you qualify for