2009 Mazda CX-9

Based on 238 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

Great Car!!!

By on Thursday, July 10, 2014

"Great family vehicle. Handles well and has plenty of interior space. Also, the vehicle is visually attractive for those of us who must have the room to haul kids and their stuff around but still desire a car that looks good."

Best SUV value on the market today!

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "Driving dynamics design practicality reliability"

Cons: "Gas mileage, interior material quality"

"Have owned the CX-9 for 6.5 years since new. Comparison shopped it against all the competition and there was no competition. I am an avid car enthusiast and have owned a lot of high performance vehicles. This is one of my favorite vehicles of all time. Can do all the practical day-to-day missions of an SUV but does them with all the joys of a performance car. Handles like a vehicle 1000 pounds lighter. How does Mazda defy the laws of physics? My wife drives this car every day and even after 6.5 years does not want a new car (except maybe another CX-9). Bulletproof reliability, great design and looks inside and out and a very rewarding driving experience. Ours is the blue mica and we still get compliments on the color. Overall, one of the best car ownership experience I've ever had, strongly recommend this vehicle!"

A good car not excellent.

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

"The CX9 does have the power zoom,zoom we are unhappy with brake noise that returns and over all many minor problems that we have had are numerous,that we have not had with other cars."

My First Mazda will not be my last

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Great price and service record, fun to drive,"

Cons: "none - great vehicle"

"126,000 miles and no issues! And I love driving it. Our dealer is excellent both from sales and now service. We have had no expenses associated with it other than normal maintenance. I look forward to my next one but at the rate this one is going, that won't be any time soon."

This is the best new vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Sunday, June 08, 2014

Pros: "Extremely fun to drive, powerful engine!!"

Cons: "Absolutely none"

"This is new best most reliable new vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning. the ride is so smooth. it looks beautiful. NEVER a problem i loved driving this vehicle. My only dilemma is that it is approaching 100,000 miles. It still runs like new. AC is ice cold, seats are so comfortable. But Im considering whether or not to buy the current year model.. Im so torn because the car is paid off and runs and looks like new. My only dilemma is that it may need repairs down the road as the vehicle ages. I have owned a new Mazda Protege in the past and that vehicle had 220,000 miles before i sold it and it also ran like a champ."

Everything continues to work no problems ever.

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "great handling for an SUV"

Cons: "some highway road noise but tires have 59K miles"

"Car has lived in Florida and Texas, body is in perfect shape. No engine problems, 21- 24 gas mileage."

Love this car!!

By on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pros: "Great trip car!"

"Love my car! Only wish the carpet and upholstery were a little better quality."

highly recommended!

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "stylish interior, excellent handling, smooth ride"

Cons: "city gas mileage"

"Extremely pleased with our upgrade from minivan to Touring CX-9. The 3rd row seating still provides us with plenty of passenger room (or easy spacious fold-down cargo room when called upon), but with exceptional road handling that makes it very fun to drive. Blind spot monitoring is a great feature. And, favorite interior comfort and styling among vehicles we considered (Pilot, Pathfinder, Highlander, Journey, Traverse)... definitely test drive a CX-9 if you are in the market for any one of these."

I love this car!

By on Friday, April 18, 2014

Pros: "roomy, quiet,smooth running"

Cons: "blind spots, gas mileage"

"I have had many cars in my life and have never bought the same make/model twice.....until now! The CX-9 is a great car that has never let me down. It drives like a dream, has excellent pick up, lots of fun options and it looks amazing. The Bose sound system is a real treat as is the dual seat heat, and climate control. It COMFORTABLY fits all 8 of us (myself, husband and 6 kids)...even on longer drives. There is lots of leg room and cargo space with the seats down. I have rarely had to take it in for anything other than standard repairs, ie: wheel bearings and exhaust. The only thing that ever bothered me are the blind spots. If you buy this car, they take some getting used to as they are pretty significant. It now has 105,000 miles and is still running strong. I would keep it, but we are downsizing 2 cars for one and a NEW CX-9 is the only way to go!"

great car

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "zoom zoom"

Cons: "noisey"

"little noisy on highway"

best car i've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

"regular maintenance and cleaning runs and looks like new. absolutely no problems at all."

Quiet, smooth, responsive, lots of space

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, practical, quiet, spacious"

Cons: "Not the greatest mpg"

"Really a well built car. A pleasure to drive. Comfortable seating."

One of the best SUV`s on the auto market.

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Excellent styling design handling and quality"

Cons: "Stiff ride in back seats"

"No further comments"

Best car ever owned-86300 miles w/ few problems.

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliability. Comfort. Family friendly."

Cons: "Big vehicle so gas mileage not great. Duh."

"Ultra reliable.Only had one major issues which was rear wheel bearings (rare problem) replaced under warranty at 50000 miles. Other than that, just tires and oil changes. Check brakes every year and still they are OK. Incredible. Drives great."

you will spend way to much on gas

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

"Oh where to start...... I love/hate this vehicle. It looks good, drives good and is very comfortable to sit in. The ride is a bit clunky and I'm very disappointed in the gas milage. No where near what I expected. I don't drive crazy nor do I haul heavy loads yet I get only about 12 miles to the gallon. Please keep this in mind when considering the Mazda cx9"

Solid all around value with a few minor drawbacks

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Handling, versatility, comfortable seating"

Cons: "Quirky radio/climate controls"

"Purchased new in early 2012, we were drawn to the Mazda CX-9 by the roomy, comfortable interior with high quality materials and a 3rd row seat in a fairly compact package. Ease of opening and folding the 3rd row seat sold the wife on this car. She loves it. So do I. With 22000 miles, the CX-9 has had only two unscheduled visits to the dealer. 1. A power steering belt broke; and 2. I had to cut the seat belt in the right rear to extract my child who had been squirming around and got himself inextricably entwined in the seat belt which cinched up around him and could not be unfastened. Mazda was good enough to cover that repair even though I didn't expect them to. A bit disappointed with 16-17 MPG city and 22 hwy. but with adequate acceleration. Had hoped for 3-4 MPG more each. Braking very good with 80% pads left after 22,000 miles. Brakes squeak occasionally when cold but there is a kit Mazda installs to eliminate this. Excellent driving position and comfort on long hauls. No fatigue after a 3 1/2 hour drive and that's exceptional for me with my bad back. Love the Blind Spot Monitoring system. Works great. The gauges are a bit dated looking and are either too bright or too dim at night with limited adjustability. A very slight turn of the dimmer knob either direction maxes it out either way. The rear view camera provides a somewhat distorted view to the rear. Daylight glare on the screen washes out that view. Handling is exceptional for an SUV of this size. But ride can be a bit bouncy on certain surfaces with the 20" wheels on the Grand Touring. And the OEM Bridgestone tires became rather noisy with a loud humm after 20,000 miles. The radio/climate controls beep every time you make a selection. Wish I knew how to turn that off. It's a bit annoying. And the radio/climate display read out at the top center of the dash is not prominent enough. I prefer a clearer, larger display. Also, the keyless ignition on the 2012 model is a bit quirky. The keyless fob allows you to turn the "dummy" ignition switch on the steering column, as opposed to a "push start-push off" button. None of that is that big of a deal to us however. Overall, we're very happy, and glad we bought the 2012 model. We DO NOT LIKE the 2013-2014 exterior redesign."

Love my CX-9 - 115,000 miles and going strong!

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, feel safe, love the sleek style"

"I drive a lot of miles and really enjoy the luxury and comfort and handling of the CX-9. It has all the features I want in a sleek and sexy style. Handles well and I feel safe in this vehicle. Our daughter is learning to drive in this SUV and I feel comfortable knowing it has great safety features."

good and bad, all subjective... next!

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "Cargo room, relative comfort, reliability"

Cons: "Forward angled steering/dash, bulky/cheap feel"

"Bought this '11 GT FWD new coming out of an '08 Pathfinder... wanted something more car like in drivability, but still needed lots of cargo room. Almost didn't buy due to FWD torque steer and driver position/steering/dash reach. Mostly the reasons I'll likely be trading this tomorrow on a VW AWD Touareg. The Mazda is nice, it is very reliable, and drives pretty well, but does feel big, cause it is! It has a HUGE amount of cargo space, which I needed more than now at purchase time. Maybe I should have gotten the AWD, but wanted better gas mileage which is pretty lame as it is (17.5 avg). I hate the FWD torque steer. Almost dangerous in 'need to get out of the way' situations. It just spins the front tires. Worse for me (at 5'8") is the angle of the steering wheel (also too small IMO) and dash (all forward leaning) and the subsequent far reach for all. A '9/3' hand position on the wheel is almost impossible when pedal distance is correct. Nav screen not readable in sunlight due to this ridiculous angle as well. (Nav is also not very intuitive to use). Other gripes is lack of lit up controls like windows (besides drivers), locks, mirrors, etc, which I didn't catch til first night drive after purchase-have to open the dang door to see the lock/unlock button! ... cost cutting, but lame. Stereo is way boomy and too much low/low mids, not natural. Truck feels thin and cheap to me. Having said that, I got a great deal on it when buying, and it wasn't that expensive to begin with. So, you get what you pay for. Bluetooth does work well, and voice recognition is decent. As stated, it's a very nice truck/car, probably better suited to bigger folks with long arms! The above mentioned are deal breakers for me though, so after lots of research, going back to German solidness/engineering (had a few Beemers and Audis). More expensive, but again, you get what you pay for."

Great car. I would recommend buying one!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "all around fun car yet great for the family"

Cons: "window and lock controls hard to reach"

"This is the first new car I have ever purchased. When comparing to the domestic counterparts, this car was a steal. Very functional, decent mileage, great for my large family, and fun to drive."

Great family vehicle

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, Great Looking, Good Power"

Cons: "Terrible mileage"

"We bought this with the rear entertainment system and it's a great overall vehicle for both long and short trips. The only complaint I have is that the gas mileage is terrible. I use it for 95% in-town driving and see about 14 MPG, nowhere NEAR the advertised ratings."

I think it's a little pricey but I've enjoyed it.

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "reliable, dependable, sturdy, fun to drive"

Cons: "too pricey"

"I bought my 2007 CX9 in 2008. It is black with taupe leather interior. Comes with all the bells and whistles. I haven't had any problems with it. Great travel vehicle for the family. The kids can watch movies, play games and it can seat up to 7 people! The original battery lasted 6 years (not bad at all) and I just recently replaced it. I think the CX9's are a little pricey or perhaps we could have negotiated better. Thank goodness I can use regular gas otherwise a high monthly note on top of having to use the top grade gas would be a bit much to handle. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good dependable family car and can afford it. Thank goodness mine will be paid off soon!"

It's not perfect, but it's darn close!

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

Pros: "smooth ride, spacious, very comfortable, pretty"

Cons: "not very good on gas"

"I just bought a 2012 CPO (certified pre-owned)Mazda CX9 on Black Friday. I've been eyeballing CX9s for years, but didn't want to wait to make a move until my current vehicle kicked the bucket. Anyway, I bought the Touring model in Dolphin Gray Mica with black leather. I wanted white, but I've been very pleased with the gray. It's very pretty and is easy to keep clean (so far). I love everything about it except the mpg, but I knew it wasn't going to be good, so it wasn't a shocker. It rides so smoothly, has lots of space and is good-looking. It's also very easy to see out of, which was important to me. The Honda Pilot's back window is too big and the Traverse's back window is too small. The CX9 is perfect. I love the design and the layout. I'm very pleased with my purchase. No regrets here!"

LOVE IT ZOOM ZOOM

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "comfort, style, leather interior, quiet, fun"

Cons: "Can't find any."

"Bought new in 2008 after my 2004 6 sport(still own it) was paid off. LOVE this SUV. Normal maintenance and oil changes done. Never broken down, never left on the side of the road. Rear shock just failed today. After the repair I still smiled when I got back in and drove home. Normal repair and on other cars I have had that happen at 50,000 miles. This car rides like a sports sedan. My neighbor with his Explorer can't believe this is 6 years old. Thinking of trading and then keep saying WHY? Those that complain about mileage just realize it's an SUV (AWD) even though it feels like a smaller car. I press the peddle (big one on the right) and know I can beat most anything out there. Can Ford, GM or Chrysler say NO RECALLS. Between my 2004 and 2008 never a recall! Mazda, I will be back but it might be a while!"

interior (driver Compartment)

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Price was good enough for me to buy."

Cons: "Above"

"All (almost) is great, but a few things I would change. Not enough compartments within arms reach of the driver. The steering wheel is a little small for me. And the last thing some of the dash light (mpg, miles left to go, etc. Just a little to small. But I'm thinking I'll get used to it. But now I'll give it very high 9 over 10."

Easily overlooked, best in class

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "drv. dynamics, qualily interior, spacious, stylish"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"After testing most 2013 SUV in this class, my finalists where the CX-9 and the Highlander. Hands down Mazda's interior quality and design beats anything else in its class that I have test driven (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, etc.). The seats are race comfortable with good seat pan tilt and height adjustment. The telescopic steering wheel adjustment gave the most latitude out of all others. The driving dynamics on the CX-9 is above the rest. The car grips like glue on the road on long fast turns and maintains its stiff race like suspension where all others would compress and lurch out of line. I recommend the 20" wheels that come with the grand touring if you like a stiffer handling as I do. The car has plenty of pep. The style and drivability somewhat reminds me of the Audi. My wife likes the blind spot warning radar which few others have. Cargo space seems more spacious than competitors because of its wide gate that doesn't narrow towards the back like others. Both first and second row seating have generous space while the third row, like all others, is cramped and should be used by small children or in small doses. I don't recommend the AWD however. There is a history of transfer case overheating and failure problems on older models with AWD if the tires are not evenly worn. So all four tires must be replaced together on the AWD variant. This may have been fixed in newer models but AWD also lowers your 0 - 60 time and gives you less gas mileage on a car that already is poor in that department. Overall I am very happy with this car and enjoy driving it very much."

See if you qualify for