• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2008 Mazda CX-9

Based on 245 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

good and bad, all subjective... next!

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "Cargo room, relative comfort, reliability"

Cons: "Forward angled steering/dash, bulky/cheap feel"

"Bought this '11 GT FWD new coming out of an '08 Pathfinder... wanted something more car like in drivability, but still needed lots of cargo room. Almost didn't buy due to FWD torque steer and driver position/steering/dash reach. Mostly the reasons I'll likely be trading this tomorrow on a VW AWD Touareg. The Mazda is nice, it is very reliable, and drives pretty well, but does feel big, cause it is! It has a HUGE amount of cargo space, which I needed more than now at purchase time. Maybe I should have gotten the AWD, but wanted better gas mileage which is pretty lame as it is (17.5 avg). I hate the FWD torque steer. Almost dangerous in 'need to get out of the way' situations. It just spins the front tires. Worse for me (at 5'8") is the angle of the steering wheel (also too small IMO) and dash (all forward leaning) and the subsequent far reach for all. A '9/3' hand position on the wheel is almost impossible when pedal distance is correct. Nav screen not readable in sunlight due to this ridiculous angle as well. (Nav is also not very intuitive to use). Other gripes is lack of lit up controls like windows (besides drivers), locks, mirrors, etc, which I didn't catch til first night drive after purchase-have to open the dang door to see the lock/unlock button! ... cost cutting, but lame. Stereo is way boomy and too much low/low mids, not natural. Truck feels thin and cheap to me. Having said that, I got a great deal on it when buying, and it wasn't that expensive to begin with. So, you get what you pay for. Bluetooth does work well, and voice recognition is decent. As stated, it's a very nice truck/car, probably better suited to bigger folks with long arms! The above mentioned are deal breakers for me though, so after lots of research, going back to German solidness/engineering (had a few Beemers and Audis). More expensive, but again, you get what you pay for."

Great car. I would recommend buying one!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "all around fun car yet great for the family"

Cons: "window and lock controls hard to reach"

"This is the first new car I have ever purchased. When comparing to the domestic counterparts, this car was a steal. Very functional, decent mileage, great for my large family, and fun to drive."

Great family vehicle

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, Great Looking, Good Power"

Cons: "Terrible mileage"

"We bought this with the rear entertainment system and it's a great overall vehicle for both long and short trips. The only complaint I have is that the gas mileage is terrible. I use it for 95% in-town driving and see about 14 MPG, nowhere NEAR the advertised ratings."

I think it's a little pricey but I've enjoyed it.

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "reliable, dependable, sturdy, fun to drive"

Cons: "too pricey"

"I bought my 2007 CX9 in 2008. It is black with taupe leather interior. Comes with all the bells and whistles. I haven't had any problems with it. Great travel vehicle for the family. The kids can watch movies, play games and it can seat up to 7 people! The original battery lasted 6 years (not bad at all) and I just recently replaced it. I think the CX9's are a little pricey or perhaps we could have negotiated better. Thank goodness I can use regular gas otherwise a high monthly note on top of having to use the top grade gas would be a bit much to handle. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good dependable family car and can afford it. Thank goodness mine will be paid off soon!"

It's not perfect, but it's darn close!

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

Pros: "smooth ride, spacious, very comfortable, pretty"

Cons: "not very good on gas"

"I just bought a 2012 CPO (certified pre-owned)Mazda CX9 on Black Friday. I've been eyeballing CX9s for years, but didn't want to wait to make a move until my current vehicle kicked the bucket. Anyway, I bought the Touring model in Dolphin Gray Mica with black leather. I wanted white, but I've been very pleased with the gray. It's very pretty and is easy to keep clean (so far). I love everything about it except the mpg, but I knew it wasn't going to be good, so it wasn't a shocker. It rides so smoothly, has lots of space and is good-looking. It's also very easy to see out of, which was important to me. The Honda Pilot's back window is too big and the Traverse's back window is too small. The CX9 is perfect. I love the design and the layout. I'm very pleased with my purchase. No regrets here!"

LOVE IT ZOOM ZOOM

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "comfort, style, leather interior, quiet, fun"

Cons: "Can't find any."

"Bought new in 2008 after my 2004 6 sport(still own it) was paid off. LOVE this SUV. Normal maintenance and oil changes done. Never broken down, never left on the side of the road. Rear shock just failed today. After the repair I still smiled when I got back in and drove home. Normal repair and on other cars I have had that happen at 50,000 miles. This car rides like a sports sedan. My neighbor with his Explorer can't believe this is 6 years old. Thinking of trading and then keep saying WHY? Those that complain about mileage just realize it's an SUV (AWD) even though it feels like a smaller car. I press the peddle (big one on the right) and know I can beat most anything out there. Can Ford, GM or Chrysler say NO RECALLS. Between my 2004 and 2008 never a recall! Mazda, I will be back but it might be a while!"

interior (driver Compartment)

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Price was good enough for me to buy."

Cons: "Above"

"All (almost) is great, but a few things I would change. Not enough compartments within arms reach of the driver. The steering wheel is a little small for me. And the last thing some of the dash light (mpg, miles left to go, etc. Just a little to small. But I'm thinking I'll get used to it. But now I'll give it very high 9 over 10."

Easily overlooked, best in class

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "drv. dynamics, qualily interior, spacious, stylish"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"After testing most 2013 SUV in this class, my finalists where the CX-9 and the Highlander. Hands down Mazda's interior quality and design beats anything else in its class that I have test driven (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, etc.). The seats are race comfortable with good seat pan tilt and height adjustment. The telescopic steering wheel adjustment gave the most latitude out of all others. The driving dynamics on the CX-9 is above the rest. The car grips like glue on the road on long fast turns and maintains its stiff race like suspension where all others would compress and lurch out of line. I recommend the 20" wheels that come with the grand touring if you like a stiffer handling as I do. The car has plenty of pep. The style and drivability somewhat reminds me of the Audi. My wife likes the blind spot warning radar which few others have. Cargo space seems more spacious than competitors because of its wide gate that doesn't narrow towards the back like others. Both first and second row seating have generous space while the third row, like all others, is cramped and should be used by small children or in small doses. I don't recommend the AWD however. There is a history of transfer case overheating and failure problems on older models with AWD if the tires are not evenly worn. So all four tires must be replaced together on the AWD variant. This may have been fixed in newer models but AWD also lowers your 0 - 60 time and gives you less gas mileage on a car that already is poor in that department. Overall I am very happy with this car and enjoy driving it very much."

Great for the Money, Good mid size SUV for 7 seats

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pros: "Strong SUV for good price."

Cons: "Gas mileage is less."

"I looked in to most of the mid size SUV before I settle into buy Mazda CX-9, grand Turing with tech package. I paid $33000 to drive out including tax and all fees. I think I got good deal on price and bought one. Two month later I'm very happy about the driving and feel safe. Almost all the luxury SUV has similar futures and cost lot more money."

Very Nice Drive, Fit, Finish, Quality

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Safe Feel, Look, Functionality, Sexy"

Cons: "Gas Mileage"

"I purchased this vehicle in Jan of 2013. My initial impression was how substantual and crisp the drive and handling were. I feel like if I hit another car, I would be ok without a seatbelt and would quite frankly destroy the other car. I take it over to Eastern WA and over the mountain passes. It's the first vehicle that I feel entirely safe in... and can bully those 18 wheel semis on those hairpin turns!!! It's a bit thirsty around town, bummer to see 16 MPG. Highway is a true 23 MPG. Handling is crisp and nimble, ride is appointed, not stiff but you feel bumps at times. I have the Grand Touring. I love my Bose and the interior is super nice. It's the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. It is my favorite vehicle ever! I would test drive one asap if you're in the market for SUV or CUV."

Worst Brand Experience ever...

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Good overall drive experience"

Cons: "Lousy customer service and Parts availablity."

"Bought spanking new CX9 AWD and was super excited. The drive is nice though the voice interface can be improved. Alas this was short lived and not to mention super frustating. So much so that I have decided to let go of the vehicle at a lose. Why... because Mazda sold me a car for which they do not have spare parts. My car is in workshop for more than a month for simple parts like bumber and grill. They do not even have eta on the back orders. The Customer service is no help and would not even consider a loner car. I am spending from my pocket. Even after the car is fixed I have lost complete faith in the brand. Please do share as this might be the most important and missing information you could pass to your friends. Great car lousy service failed brand. Bottomline if you do not care about service or certain it will never require repair a good buy. Stay away..."

Cons: "Mileage so far, but need to break in the engine"

"We lookeed at the Dodge Journey (drove like a truck), the Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and Kia (Both were more difficult to enter the third row). This car was, by far, the most stylish and comfortable to drive. Good pick-up, smooth ride, and the interior driver/passenger compartment feels luxurious. Bought the Grand Touring, need to finish breaking in the engine, then a road triip is in order. We sold my wife's VW Eos hard-top convertible, worst car we've ever owned. Upgraded wheels on this one (20 inch powder coated black) DVD, Nav system, Bose = $36,000 total. Not bad."

Smiling while driving.

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

"Yes, the car has a smile but so do I - enjoying the comfort with the seating, drive response, and the high tech cockpit enhanced by the console. As with any SUV, visiting friends on farms or events where they force you to park on cow pastures is easer to tolerate with the higher ground clearance. Also when friends and family visits there is enough room to end car caravans. The difference, with the CX9, is the styling - it doesn't look like an utilitarian suv. The only disadvantage I've experienced is that the third row seating is difficult to access; it is relegated to kids or agile adults. Our decision to purchase this CX9 was not just new toys emotion, it was practical. My prior car was an RX300; when we were shopping for the 350 we decided to save the 10K$ difference. Quality and all the features are there - not a single regret."

Best family vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Love to drive"

Cons: "Only con would be getting to the third row"

"This car is sporty, sleek and roomy! I have owned quite a few cars and this one is the best yet! I have two kids and nieces and nephews who stay with me quite often, so I needed a roomy vehicle and didn't want a minivan. This is the perfect solution. I love the nav system with the dvd player for the kids and the third row is just what I needed! Even with the third row up, I still can get groceries. Love, love, love this car!"

Absolute best in drive and comfort!

By on Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pros: "Great design, interior flexibilty, and drive!"

Cons: "None so far"

"I traded in my 2002 Mazda 626 for the 2013 CX-9. After test driving an Explorer and a Pathfinder, we took the CX-9 for a spin. There simply is no comparison. While the Pathfinder has more length (and therefore slightly more third seat room), the CX-9 felt luxurious in comparison. The interior is beautiful and functional- not to mention the most comfortable we tested. It drives smooth, quiet, and powerful. The typical Mazda "zoom" is apparent even in their largest vehicle while driving as though it were a sedan, hugging curves and parking with ease. I love that the middle row slides to allow for comfort. The interior design is sleek and very inviting. We got lucky and ended up purchasing a Demo vehicle, which allowed us to afford the Grand Touring. The Bose stereo is amazing! Even the kids are impressed. I drove my first Mazda for 11 years and I can definitely see myself in this one for another 11 !"

Reliable, comfortable, good highway mileage

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "dependability, comfort, driving"

Cons: "backing up, space, paint scratches easily"

"I bought this car new in 2008 and have been driving it hard ever since. I recently passed 100,000 miles. The only major repair I have had to do was to replace a tie rod. I've changed the oil every 7000 miles, replaced the tires once, brakes once, but other than that have never had a problem with it. My only complaints are that the front seat area is a little cramped with the center console, and it is scary backing up (hard to see out back - should have gotten the back up camera) but the comfort and dependability truly outweigh any negatives. I have averaged 18-20 mph around town and 24 on the highway. Great pickup and braking."

Love this vehicle!

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

"If you need lots of space, but don't want to feel like you are driving a school bus, here is your answer. Vehicle handles like a car and doesn't feel nearly as big as it is."

BACK TO MY CX-9

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Absolutely none"

"Let me start by saying I've owned Mazda vehicles since 1991, starting with a '91 626, a '03 Protege (which by the way is still on the road at 268,000 miles),'09 Mazda 3 (too small) which I traded for the '10 CX-9 (no problems at all with it and should have kept it, but at the time, thought it was too big), then traded down to a '11 CX-7 (which I really really disliked). So here I am again back to the newly redesigned '13 CX-9 and I couldn't be happier and plan on keeping it for a long time. I bought the Touring model in Zeal Red (what a beautiful color). The dealership detailed it by simonizing the exterior and conditioning the leather interior (there is a warranty on the leather) and it looks amazingly beautiful, not to mention the nimble handling and absolute comfort of the CX-9. I love the bluetooth, the back-up camera, the heated seats, the blind spot monitoring and so on. So glad I purchased this vehicle again. I absolutely love it and have received many head turns on the road! Don't hesitate to purchase this vehicle, you won't be sorry! In my opinion, Mazda has always been underrated because of Honda and Toyota vehicles, but these babies can keep up those vehicles and in some instances surpass them."

Test drove 7 SUVs and this was by far the nicest

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "price, ride, comfort, tech package, looks, size"

Cons: "mpg, head room, vents in 3rd row"

"Of the SUVs I test-drove, the Pathfinder, Pilot, and Traverse were too cavernous. The Explorer was everything it's reviews said it would be. The Acadia was too expensive. The Durango is very nice and I almost bought it but it's more vehicle than I needed (got nothing to tow). The CX-9 was the only SUV that I got excited about after the test drive. It's really the Goldilocks of SUVs: not too big, not too small. We took it on a 2-hour drive to Boston this weekend and it was a beautiful ride. I love all the tech stuff (newbie). The Mazda website does not do justice to the looks of this car. It's much sharper looking in person and I've gotten lots of nice compliments. Blind side monitoring is great. The heated leather seats are dreamy. The telescoping steering column is the longest I've ever seen. The driver's seat goes back so far, I couldn't reach the pedals. We got about 22.5 mpg combined hwy/city I have some criticism of the car but it's nitpicking. A little more headroom would be nice (I'm 6'2"). Vents need to be added to the 3rd row. The foot well was a little narrow but not as bad as the Explorer. The speakers are a little awkward. The are louder up front than in the rear when Fade is in middle. So much so that I returned the vehicle to dealer to have them turn on the rear speakers. I was just not turning the volume up loud enough to get the subwoofer to really kick in. I have the fade almost all the way to rear and it sounds much better now."

Simplicity made difficult

By on Monday, March 11, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable and fun to drive."

Cons: "It's the little things."

"Overall, I love the handling and comfort of my CX9 but there are a few annoyances. First the locking/security system makes getting in and out a chore. When using the remote start the only door that will open is the driver's door so on those cold/ rainy/ snow days when everyone want to get in right away, only the driver can and then must activate the unlock button on the door to open the passenger doors and the auto lift gate. I also often have trouble with the keyless entry opening all doors (maybe it needs a new battery). The keyless ignition leaves me on a continual hunt for the keys on the way in and out of the car. I am not sure what advantage it gives a person who uses the remote/ keyless entry fob regularly. Putting the key in the ignition has never been that difficult a task for me. Just saying. Second, while the 3rd row offers a fair amount of leg room, lifting and lowering the 3rd row while the second row in the furthest back position is impossible. The second row must be moved forward to lift the 3rd row due to the headrests on 3rd row. So when loading things into the cargo area if the 3rd row is up and 2nd row is not far enough forward, you can't fold the third row down until you go to the passenger doors (both sides) and move the second row forward same goes for putting third row up. Third, the climate control panel is more complicated than it needs to be. Scrolling thought the Modes to find the right setting (feet, face, defrost, both, etc) is one more way Mazda has made simplicity complicated. While these issues don't effect the handling or performance of the vehicle, these design /engineering flaws make the CX9's convenience and ease of use often frustrating."

excellent midsize suv

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

"I've had the CX9 for 5 year, it's a great midsize SUV."

Excellent 7 seat CUV that is actually fun to drive

By on Monday, January 21, 2013

Pros: "lots of car for money. good handling and looks"

Cons: "gas mileage."

"Excellent large crossover. Beautiful inside and out. good value compared to competition and out drives them all! I am 5'10", 230 lbs and can sit in the 3rd row pretty comfortably. Has been reliable, though wheel bearing have a tendency to prematurely wear out. Gas mileage could be better. Did not some with satelite radio connection and expensive to have installed later."

i realy like the dising style and size of this car

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

I want this car

"i cant wait no more to buy this sexy car exelent dising looks awesome hopefuly i will buy it this summer i will keep this car for a verry long time.."