2007 Mazda CX-9

Based on 262 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

Needs to get better gas milage

By on Thursday, February 24, 2011

"Great driving experience, quiet and responsive. My sister in law has an Acura MDX, and the CX-9 runs smoother and quieter. Major issue is the gas milage, as I am barley getting 17 MPG combined. I was expecting much closer to 20 MPG. This has become a major issue, and may be reason enough to trade it in. Other issues that I have are that the car does not come standard with automatic headlights. I have a 2000 Chevy that does, so I dont understand why in this day and age it is not standard. Also the car does not lock automatically when you put it in gear. This is another feature that I am used to, and do not understand why the CX-9 does not offer this basic saftey feature. For a car in this price range both of the above in my opinon should be standard options in the base model. Mind you that my car is not base. The other minor thing is that for taller individuals the CX-9 can be quite hard to get into with out hitting your head. This is something I knew when I purchased the vehicle, so I was willing to live with it based on the overall driving experince. Overall I would recommend this vehicle to a friend if they are willing to live with the gas milage issue. The other problems I have with the car are more personal, and may not influence another buyer. The car drive like a luxury car, and responds to every command the driver gives it."

Head Turner

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Wow - what a vehicle. Did great in the last snowstorm we had when my front wheel drive saab let us down. Had enough room to pick up another couple who was stranded and easily traversed the icy hillside. Love IT!"

By on Friday, January 07, 2011

Awesome SUV

By on Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Awesome SUV! Live in the mountains and it handles the curves and climbs great! I have taken it in the snow and it held the road wonderfully. Big enough to hall my grand kids to the snow along with their gear! No road noise, nice interior-love the red lighting! I really feel secure driving this SUV. Again it's awesome!"

You gotta get one!!!

By on Friday, July 09, 2010

"If you want a quality vehicle this is the one, plenty of leg room (head room in the third row seating lacks room but good for kids). The ride is awesome, the sound system is great! It's an all around quality car!!"

Not a bad bang for your buck.

By on Wednesday, April 01, 2009

"The CX-9 Delivers exactly what you pay for. And it looks amazing, much better than the Mercedes-Benz for 10k more, and in my humble opinion better then the Acura which is also about 10k more. With almost 280bhp this car has great drive ability. Overall i'm very satisfied and would recommend this vehicle to anybody."

Best buy ever

By on Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Compared this with several others...Lexus, Acura, Infinity ect. This is our first mazda, and absolutely love it! Have a GT AWD with navigation. Love the amenities and smooth ride. Great value and get compliments all the time on the looks. I would definitely recommend this car!"

Great crossover

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"Best bet for replacing full size SUV. Fast and comfortable however drinks like a fish."

Saved my life.

By on Friday, October 02, 2009

"I bought a 2008 CX-9 in January of 2008 and totalled it on October 1st, 2009. I hit a semi truck at 40 mph (t-boned it - my fault) and I should have been killed. The car's crumple zones and air bags worked exactly as designed and I walked away with a scratch on my left hand and some chest pain from the seat belt force. I'm buying a 2009 CX-9 tomorrow to replace it. It is an exceptional car with great power, a quiet ride, plenty of room, an excellent stereo system, great handling and it is exceptionally safe."

Solid car

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"bought a loaded grand touring and it is awesome get 18mpg overall in mostly city driving,, an eye catching body and a comfortable interior, like a floating living room with the dvd system and bose premium sound 1 small negative is no trip computer which is odd for vehicle in this price range"

Zoom Zoom

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I bought a new 2008 GT AWD with every major option except the DVD and all for $32K. What a bargain! I was trading a 4 year old MB C240 4matic wagon which both me and my wife hated and I had some very specific requirements from her for a replacement. It must seat 7, it must have AWD, it must look nice, it must be sporty and it must be less than 35k. That narrowed the field to a very few contenders. I chose the Mazda over the Highlander (too soft and too boring), the Pilot (too truck like and slow), the MB (much too expensive) and the Volvo (too small and too slow) because it has all the practicality of a large SUV with the performance and handling of a sports sedan, and at the price, it was a bargain to boot! The car has not dissappointed. It is comfortable, quiet, very nice inside and has almost every creature comfort and safety feature you could want, almost too the point of overkill. This is my first Mazda and I just can't figure out why I waited so long. The only reason to buy one of the "lifestyle" brand equivalents (MB, BMW, Porsche) is if you were willing to pay 10k extra for the badge. Pro's: Very lively engine and gearbox. Great handling. Looks great. Lane departure system. Back up camera. Power rear hatch. Bose stereo. Huge value for money. Con's: No XM. Bluetooth interface is voice only (very annoying to program the calling list). Nav system is not as good as Honda. Some of the interior trim seems a little fragile. Overall: Very pleased"

Awesome Value

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"In our search, we looked at all available GM products, Honda '09 Pilot, BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Audi. We purchased the CX-9 and are very happy with all the features. We added aftermarket DVD because sunroof option did not allow it from the manuf. We saved $1000. It would have been nice if the sunglass holder had the rearview passenger mirror like Honda. Nav can be a little tricky due to all the driver safety features. Only complaint from wife is that she does not have a good place to put her purse. Great Zoom-Zoom in an SUV package! Competitors give no more, for more money."

Just purchased, so first impression only.

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Value for money, and a very WOW interior."

Cons: "None as yet."

"I wont comment too much on performance or reliability since I've only just purchased this July 2012, (I will update on that after 3000 miles), but based on all reviews, and my test drive, I cant see anything lacking from a pure performance standpoint in this CX9 compared to other 7 passenger SUV's, in fact the opposite looks true right now. I'll at least tell you why I purchased the CX9 and traded in my GMC Acadia. Firstly - wow, what an interior for the price, this surely has to be the best value for money 7 seater package out there. I purchased a Touring CX9 with two tone Leather seats, 10 speaker Bose Sound package, Moon Roof, Rear camera, key less start, and Power Lift-gate, all for $31,500, and when I stack that up against the same mid level GMC Acadia, with similar options, your talking a saving of over $6,000 for what is essentially a like for like optioned third row SUV. I checked out the Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Ford Flex, and Honda Pilot, and when it came to actually trying to negotiate an off the lot price nobody came close to the Mazda CX9. Everyone was basically $5 - $6,000 more expensive with nothing more to show for it. I test drove the CX9 before this purchase and obviously I can only compare to the Acadia. I found it more nimble, and more "road connected", and more driver connected, it felt just more of a sporty drive all round, and that with the added lux of riding on leather, with the moon roof and sound system, I just thought, wow, why wouldn't I ? So I did !!! I'll update again soon on performance and handling when I've been round the block a bit more. But as it stand right now this is a quiet cabin, nimble and responsive ride, and feels nothing like you'd expect for a 7 passenger vehicle. Right now, happy chappy, well impressed !"

Very Nice

By on Thursday, June 05, 2008

"This review is coming from a car guy. My wife and I needed a family suv that's easy to park in the city and had a third row. This fit the bill better than any of the competition. Very good choice. The performance is great. It drives like a sport sedan. Sliding second row is great. A little thirsty, but its a big suv w/ 3 rows. Fit and finish are top notch. I hope CX-9 doesnt catch on to the masses. I have the only on on the block and it's look turns heads (as much as a family ride can). Might even buy another Mazda based off ownership of this one!"

Smiling while driving.

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

"Yes, the car has a smile but so do I - enjoying the comfort with the seating, drive response, and the high tech cockpit enhanced by the console. As with any SUV, visiting friends on farms or events where they force you to park on cow pastures is easer to tolerate with the higher ground clearance. Also when friends and family visits there is enough room to end car caravans. The difference, with the CX9, is the styling - it doesn't look like an utilitarian suv. The only disadvantage I've experienced is that the third row seating is difficult to access; it is relegated to kids or agile adults. Our decision to purchase this CX9 was not just new toys emotion, it was practical. My prior car was an RX300; when we were shopping for the 350 we decided to save the 10K$ difference. Quality and all the features are there - not a single regret."

BACK TO MY CX-9

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Absolutely none"

"Let me start by saying I've owned Mazda vehicles since 1991, starting with a '91 626, a '03 Protege (which by the way is still on the road at 268,000 miles),'09 Mazda 3 (too small) which I traded for the '10 CX-9 (no problems at all with it and should have kept it, but at the time, thought it was too big), then traded down to a '11 CX-7 (which I really really disliked). So here I am again back to the newly redesigned '13 CX-9 and I couldn't be happier and plan on keeping it for a long time. I bought the Touring model in Zeal Red (what a beautiful color). The dealership detailed it by simonizing the exterior and conditioning the leather interior (there is a warranty on the leather) and it looks amazingly beautiful, not to mention the nimble handling and absolute comfort of the CX-9. I love the bluetooth, the back-up camera, the heated seats, the blind spot monitoring and so on. So glad I purchased this vehicle again. I absolutely love it and have received many head turns on the road! Don't hesitate to purchase this vehicle, you won't be sorry! In my opinion, Mazda has always been underrated because of Honda and Toyota vehicles, but these babies can keep up those vehicles and in some instances surpass them."

good car. terible mpg

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "good price for 2012 model. stable quiet ride"

Cons: "ways behind competitors on tech and efficiency"

"Got this car brand new about 2wks now. Gt fully loaded Pros: good handling, nice interior, good bose sound system, better leather than honda toyota or nissan, nice exterior. Cons: interior lighting is very dim when headlights are on; info and gauges display is red - aging and not soothing on long drives; GPS costs $1500 but won't match performance and feature of a $100 portable unit, no street name guidance, just turn left or turn right; ride is bumpy even on smooth interstates. It actually is better in local travel since you're not going as fast. Lower tire pressure to 34 psi front and 32 psi back help but did not make it go away; TERIBLE MPG. Actual city is between 10-14 mpg. Highway @75 mph is around 20 mpg. You better subtract 3 miles from EPA estimate. No way you would get the estimate MPG if you drive normally. Highway passing is sluggish. You got to floor it before the car would give you the passing power after downshifting. City passing or merging is more than enough. I was actually thinking about trading it in for another car after a week of ownership. A bit calmer now but not happy. Will definitely trade it in within 3 years."

Best cross over among the crowd

By on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Pros: "Smooth highway ride,quiet,speed,Top class interior"

Cons: "None."........."..........."

"I just bought it this CX9 last week .drove only 75 miles so far .Woow what a smooth ride.!i test drive Honda pilot,Toyota highlander and the explorer. I believe this one handles highway ride so good and it's interior finish is top class . All in on you a get a premium vehicle . I think this one belongs the luxury vhecile catgogery ."

Bought it for its looks but love its functionality

By on Saturday, December 27, 2008

"Pros: Styling, functionality, performance Cons: Gas mileage, no "xx miles to empty" gauge, key card is annoying I've always owned sport sedans and recently started to notice my need for the functionality of an SUV. So many of them have that bulging station wagon/"look, I'm not really a minivan" appearance. I've also always had very particular tastes in cars and don't even consider them if I don't like the exterior styling. Call me a superficial car snob but I know what I like! When I began shopping, I considered just 3 models: the Nissan Murano, the Infiniti version and the Mazda CX-9. I test drove the Murano and it seemed so much smaller and overpriced in comparison to the CX-9. (The Infiniti didn't even qualify for a test drive because of the sticker price.) The Mazda was larger with more distinctive exterior styling, offered many more standard features for the price and I love the "Zoom, Zoom" factor. I purchased an AWD Grand Touring model in pearl white on black and love it. (I opted out of the Navi because of the price factor.) I love the way it drives, especially in inclement weather here in the Midwest, and surprisingly find myself using the functionality of the fold-down third-row seating more often than I expected. I can haul so much stuff in the back of this thing and the Bose sound system rocks! Whenever we go out, everyone wants me to drive because of the seating capacity and its interior roominess and comfort. I joke that it's my "school bus" because it's so much bigger than what I traded in yet it's city gas mileage leaves much to be desired. I absolutely cannot stand the key card feature though...it gets lost in my purse all the time or if I get out of the car for something, the car starts beeping loudly to the point of embarassment. I don't understand the draw of that "feature." I don't care much for the grill either and have been shopping for an aftermarket version. Outside from these minor things, the car was what I was looking for and more. I do like the 20" rim size and have since bought chrome rim replacements. I frequently get compliments on the car and people stop to ask, "What kind of car is that, anyway?" Would I recommend this car to someone? Absolutely. The pro's well outweigh the con's and maybe the men will actually like the silly keycard feature - my dad finds it fascinating - he shows it to everyone, as if that's the best part of the car! As long as I don't "feel" like I'm driving a minivan, I'm going to continue driving this until it's time to downsize again."

I love it

By on Thursday, April 09, 2009

"My main complaint is that that the MPG is far worse than advertised. The trim keeps coming of. I have had to go back to the dealership several times to have pieces replaced and have to go back yet again. The last is there is no leg room for the back seats. You pretty much can only fit kids back there. But, I hardly ever use the back row so that doesnt bother me much. Other than those 3 things, I LOVE my Mazda and would reccommend it to anyone needing a larger vehicle with a third row , as long as they only need that third row once in awhile."

Test drove 7 SUVs and this was by far the nicest

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "price, ride, comfort, tech package, looks, size"

Cons: "mpg, head room, vents in 3rd row"

"Of the SUVs I test-drove, the Pathfinder, Pilot, and Traverse were too cavernous. The Explorer was everything it's reviews said it would be. The Acadia was too expensive. The Durango is very nice and I almost bought it but it's more vehicle than I needed (got nothing to tow). The CX-9 was the only SUV that I got excited about after the test drive. It's really the Goldilocks of SUVs: not too big, not too small. We took it on a 2-hour drive to Boston this weekend and it was a beautiful ride. I love all the tech stuff (newbie). The Mazda website does not do justice to the looks of this car. It's much sharper looking in person and I've gotten lots of nice compliments. Blind side monitoring is great. The heated leather seats are dreamy. The telescoping steering column is the longest I've ever seen. The driver's seat goes back so far, I couldn't reach the pedals. We got about 22.5 mpg combined hwy/city I have some criticism of the car but it's nitpicking. A little more headroom would be nice (I'm 6'2"). Vents need to be added to the 3rd row. The foot well was a little narrow but not as bad as the Explorer. The speakers are a little awkward. The are louder up front than in the rear when Fade is in middle. So much so that I returned the vehicle to dealer to have them turn on the rear speakers. I was just not turning the volume up loud enough to get the subwoofer to really kick in. I have the fade almost all the way to rear and it sounds much better now."

I love driving again!

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, bose sound system, quiet drive"

Cons: "Not as must storage space as you would like"

"I of course bought this car used, wasn't financially in the market for anything brand new. I test drove the Ford Flex, Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, Ford Edge and did my homework regarding the particular specs of each vehicle. It came down to the Flex and the CX9. The CX9 won! Why? It's overall value was it. When compared to the others who were actually later models, this one drove better than them all by far. The Flex was more plush but a little too plush with no sportiness to it and started to remind me of the Honda Odyssey we used to own. Even my wife was very impressed with the CX9 and she did not even want to look at the Flex. I feel guilty because sometimes I just want to get in it just to go for a ride, I love driving this car. It sits high, and the seating is comfortable for even a 6"2 guy like myself and you can really carry 7 adults in reasonable comfort.I also can't say enough about the Bose sound system!"

Great Car!!

By on Monday, May 23, 2011

"We bought our 2010 CX9 in August of 2010. We had a Dodge bighorn 1500 that we traded in and gas was killing us!! I definitely wanted something with 3rd row seats but did not want a minivan. We had test drove a 2010 Dodge Journey and were leaning toward that until we drove by a Mazda dealer on accident and decided to stop. I am so happy we did!! The price is very comparable to the Dodge Journey but the quality is so much better. The Journey had little creaks and an ok ride and seemed very unstable if you had to swerve fast. The CX9 was like driving in a cloud compared to the Journey. It is very stable, gas mileage is great, and really has the get-up-and-go when you need it. I have storage when I need it and the extra seating. It is wonderful. We are all ready talking about upgrading to the Grand Touring next time!"

Honeymoon's over!

By on Sunday, February 01, 2009

"When we bought this car, we had looked at several other brands and models and finally decided on the CX-9. It is a beautifully styled vehicle, I have no disagreements with that. Now that we have gone through most of the winter we have found that the car can not stop or slow down with any control. We have had it in the shop, thinking there was a problem with the brakes. We were informed that they "have had a lot of trouble with the brakes on these cars" but no solution was offered. So now I can not drive my beautiful new car for another few months! I will never buy another Mazda. This is not the only problem we've had, the others have not been nearly as serious."

highly recommended!

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "stylish interior, excellent handling, smooth ride"

Cons: "city gas mileage"

"Extremely pleased with our upgrade from minivan to Touring CX-9. The 3rd row seating still provides us with plenty of passenger room (or easy spacious fold-down cargo room when called upon), but with exceptional road handling that makes it very fun to drive. Blind spot monitoring is a great feature. And, favorite interior comfort and styling among vehicles we considered (Pilot, Pathfinder, Highlander, Journey, Traverse)... definitely test drive a CX-9 if you are in the market for any one of these."