• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2007 Mazda CX-9

Based on 239 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

Great family vehicle

By on Sunday, December 22, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, Great Looking, Good Power"

Cons: "Terrible mileage"

"We bought this with the rear entertainment system and it's a great overall vehicle for both long and short trips. The only complaint I have is that the gas mileage is terrible. I use it for 95% in-town driving and see about 14 MPG, nowhere NEAR the advertised ratings."

I think it's a little pricey but I've enjoyed it.

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "reliable, dependable, sturdy, fun to drive"

Cons: "too pricey"

"I bought my 2007 CX9 in 2008. It is black with taupe leather interior. Comes with all the bells and whistles. I haven't had any problems with it. Great travel vehicle for the family. The kids can watch movies, play games and it can seat up to 7 people! The original battery lasted 6 years (not bad at all) and I just recently replaced it. I think the CX9's are a little pricey or perhaps we could have negotiated better. Thank goodness I can use regular gas otherwise a high monthly note on top of having to use the top grade gas would be a bit much to handle. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good dependable family car and can afford it. Thank goodness mine will be paid off soon!"

It's not perfect, but it's darn close!

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

Pros: "smooth ride, spacious, very comfortable, pretty"

Cons: "not very good on gas"

"I just bought a 2012 CPO (certified pre-owned)Mazda CX9 on Black Friday. I've been eyeballing CX9s for years, but didn't want to wait to make a move until my current vehicle kicked the bucket. Anyway, I bought the Touring model in Dolphin Gray Mica with black leather. I wanted white, but I've been very pleased with the gray. It's very pretty and is easy to keep clean (so far). I love everything about it except the mpg, but I knew it wasn't going to be good, so it wasn't a shocker. It rides so smoothly, has lots of space and is good-looking. It's also very easy to see out of, which was important to me. The Honda Pilot's back window is too big and the Traverse's back window is too small. The CX9 is perfect. I love the design and the layout. I'm very pleased with my purchase. No regrets here!"

LOVE IT ZOOM ZOOM

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "comfort, style, leather interior, quiet, fun"

Cons: "Can't find any."

"Bought new in 2008 after my 2004 6 sport(still own it) was paid off. LOVE this SUV. Normal maintenance and oil changes done. Never broken down, never left on the side of the road. Rear shock just failed today. After the repair I still smiled when I got back in and drove home. Normal repair and on other cars I have had that happen at 50,000 miles. This car rides like a sports sedan. My neighbor with his Explorer can't believe this is 6 years old. Thinking of trading and then keep saying WHY? Those that complain about mileage just realize it's an SUV (AWD) even though it feels like a smaller car. I press the peddle (big one on the right) and know I can beat most anything out there. Can Ford, GM or Chrysler say NO RECALLS. Between my 2004 and 2008 never a recall! Mazda, I will be back but it might be a while!"

interior (driver Compartment)

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Price was good enough for me to buy."

Cons: "Above"

"All (almost) is great, but a few things I would change. Not enough compartments within arms reach of the driver. The steering wheel is a little small for me. And the last thing some of the dash light (mpg, miles left to go, etc. Just a little to small. But I'm thinking I'll get used to it. But now I'll give it very high 9 over 10."

Easily overlooked, best in class

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "drv. dynamics, qualily interior, spacious, stylish"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"After testing most 2013 SUV in this class, my finalists where the CX-9 and the Highlander. Hands down Mazda's interior quality and design beats anything else in its class that I have test driven (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, etc.). The seats are race comfortable with good seat pan tilt and height adjustment. The telescopic steering wheel adjustment gave the most latitude out of all others. The driving dynamics on the CX-9 is above the rest. The car grips like glue on the road on long fast turns and maintains its stiff race like suspension where all others would compress and lurch out of line. I recommend the 20" wheels that come with the grand touring if you like a stiffer handling as I do. The car has plenty of pep. The style and drivability somewhat reminds me of the Audi. My wife likes the blind spot warning radar which few others have. Cargo space seems more spacious than competitors because of its wide gate that doesn't narrow towards the back like others. Both first and second row seating have generous space while the third row, like all others, is cramped and should be used by small children or in small doses. I don't recommend the AWD however. There is a history of transfer case overheating and failure problems on older models with AWD if the tires are not evenly worn. So all four tires must be replaced together on the AWD variant. This may have been fixed in newer models but AWD also lowers your 0 - 60 time and gives you less gas mileage on a car that already is poor in that department. Overall I am very happy with this car and enjoy driving it very much."

Great for the Money, Good mid size SUV for 7 seats

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pros: "Strong SUV for good price."

Cons: "Gas mileage is less."

"I looked in to most of the mid size SUV before I settle into buy Mazda CX-9, grand Turing with tech package. I paid $33000 to drive out including tax and all fees. I think I got good deal on price and bought one. Two month later I'm very happy about the driving and feel safe. Almost all the luxury SUV has similar futures and cost lot more money."

Very Nice Drive, Fit, Finish, Quality

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Safe Feel, Look, Functionality, Sexy"

Cons: "Gas Mileage"

"I purchased this vehicle in Jan of 2013. My initial impression was how substantual and crisp the drive and handling were. I feel like if I hit another car, I would be ok without a seatbelt and would quite frankly destroy the other car. I take it over to Eastern WA and over the mountain passes. It's the first vehicle that I feel entirely safe in... and can bully those 18 wheel semis on those hairpin turns!!! It's a bit thirsty around town, bummer to see 16 MPG. Highway is a true 23 MPG. Handling is crisp and nimble, ride is appointed, not stiff but you feel bumps at times. I have the Grand Touring. I love my Bose and the interior is super nice. It's the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. It is my favorite vehicle ever! I would test drive one asap if you're in the market for SUV or CUV."

Worst Brand Experience ever...

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Good overall drive experience"

Cons: "Lousy customer service and Parts availablity."

"Bought spanking new CX9 AWD and was super excited. The drive is nice though the voice interface can be improved. Alas this was short lived and not to mention super frustating. So much so that I have decided to let go of the vehicle at a lose. Why... because Mazda sold me a car for which they do not have spare parts. My car is in workshop for more than a month for simple parts like bumber and grill. They do not even have eta on the back orders. The Customer service is no help and would not even consider a loner car. I am spending from my pocket. Even after the car is fixed I have lost complete faith in the brand. Please do share as this might be the most important and missing information you could pass to your friends. Great car lousy service failed brand. Bottomline if you do not care about service or certain it will never require repair a good buy. Stay away..."

Great value, great handling

By on Monday, July 08, 2013

Pros: "Everything but the mileage"

Cons: "Mileage so far, but need to break in the engine"

"We lookeed at the Dodge Journey (drove like a truck), the Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and Kia (Both were more difficult to enter the third row). This car was, by far, the most stylish and comfortable to drive. Good pick-up, smooth ride, and the interior driver/passenger compartment feels luxurious. Bought the Grand Touring, need to finish breaking in the engine, then a road triip is in order. We sold my wife's VW Eos hard-top convertible, worst car we've ever owned. Upgraded wheels on this one (20 inch powder coated black) DVD, Nav system, Bose = $36,000 total. Not bad."

See if you qualify for