• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2007 Mazda CX-9

Based on 244 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

Good car but has issues

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "Good driver for a big car"

Cons: "Getting in and out on all four seat not good"

"I have two negative issues 1. The drivers seat goes back to fully recline each time you unlock the car. 2. The passenger seat is too high and the angle of the windshield is too short. A lot of power, pretty good mileage on the highway! Sound system great , good lines Blind side is a great feature"

Love Hate Relationship with this car

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Reason: Constant Repairs

Pros: "Great Style and Interior"

Cons: "Mechanically not sound!"

"So I owned the 2007 Mazda CX-9 I loved my car but it kept going into the shop. Once this vehicle hit's 100k you will begin having massive issues! In a 9 month spread we dumped $7,180.00 dollars into repairs. Finally had enough at what point does repairing not make since? This vehicle has a very stylish body and apart from changing the front Grill and headlight's Mazda has not changed the overall appearance. So it still looks like a new car 7 years latter. The fit and finish on the interior is done very well! The seating lay out easily fits not just little kids but full sized adults in every seat nicely. The cargo space with the third row up is ample enough for Football Moms. Put the third row down and you can start putting bikes in for the kids! The third row down cargo is the best design in it's class, throw a blow up bed in there and you can easily camp in your car! (we did that) Be careful buying one of these if it has 100k miles plus though because buyer be ware! We traded to a new Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD this vehicle is great. The CX-9 beats it in the back row but that's about it. Best luck on your buying decision and I hope this was helpful. Overall I loved my CX-9 but was heart broken when it became a money pit."

I really like this car

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "Great sized car - tons of room."

Cons: "Wish it got better gas milage. Tires."

"A Mommy Car with attitude. Drives nice, lots of room for friends or stuff. I even carried a full size washer in the box, in the back of the car. Only complaint was had to put tires and brakes on the car at 25K. Seemed early to me to spend this kind of money. I would recommend this car."

brings a smile to my face

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

"never heard of the CX 9 before I got it . Went down to the dealership because of a flyer that came to the house . So far it has met and exceeded my expectations"

Great car

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, fast,comfortable"

Cons: "gas mileage, console too large, no auto door locks"

"I bought this car as pre owned after losing my toyota camry in a flood. I wanted something large and reliable. I never even thought of buying a Mazda but the used car inventory was very limited in my area at the time because of the flood. I was fortunate to find this car which was just turned in from a lease and fell in love with it. I drove it and could not believe how fast and how easy it was to handle, very comfortable even on long trips . I get many compliments on the car. It looks just as good as the more expensive SUV's around. My only complaints are that it is not as roomy inside as I had hoped because of the very large center console in the front and the doors do not automatically lock ,you have to remember to lock the doors when you get in the car . I would buy one again."

Totally repair-free auto...my first. Beautiful

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Fair price, drives/rides like a car. Trouble-free."

Cons: "no programmable garage door opener."

"This auto has never been to any shop for any repairs...I should probably keep it until it dies. Excellent appearance that still draws favorable comments. Outstanding for golf trips...holds our luggage, clubs and plug-in cooler with ease. Ride is exceptional...exactly like a car. Lack of programmable remote garage opener is a negative....using a garage door opener is so 1970's."

Great Car!!!

By on Thursday, July 10, 2014

"Great family vehicle. Handles well and has plenty of interior space. Also, the vehicle is visually attractive for those of us who must have the room to haul kids and their stuff around but still desire a car that looks good."

Best SUV value on the market today!

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "Driving dynamics design practicality reliability"

Cons: "Gas mileage, interior material quality"

"Have owned the CX-9 for 6.5 years since new. Comparison shopped it against all the competition and there was no competition. I am an avid car enthusiast and have owned a lot of high performance vehicles. This is one of my favorite vehicles of all time. Can do all the practical day-to-day missions of an SUV but does them with all the joys of a performance car. Handles like a vehicle 1000 pounds lighter. How does Mazda defy the laws of physics? My wife drives this car every day and even after 6.5 years does not want a new car (except maybe another CX-9). Bulletproof reliability, great design and looks inside and out and a very rewarding driving experience. Ours is the blue mica and we still get compliments on the color. Overall, one of the best car ownership experience I've ever had, strongly recommend this vehicle!"

A good car not excellent.

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

"The CX9 does have the power zoom,zoom we are unhappy with brake noise that returns and over all many minor problems that we have had are numerous,that we have not had with other cars."

My First Mazda will not be my last

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Great price and service record, fun to drive,"

Cons: "none - great vehicle"

"126,000 miles and no issues! And I love driving it. Our dealer is excellent both from sales and now service. We have had no expenses associated with it other than normal maintenance. I look forward to my next one but at the rate this one is going, that won't be any time soon."

This is the best new vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Sunday, June 08, 2014

Pros: "Extremely fun to drive, powerful engine!!"

Cons: "Absolutely none"

"This is new best most reliable new vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning. the ride is so smooth. it looks beautiful. NEVER a problem i loved driving this vehicle. My only dilemma is that it is approaching 100,000 miles. It still runs like new. AC is ice cold, seats are so comfortable. But Im considering whether or not to buy the current year model.. Im so torn because the car is paid off and runs and looks like new. My only dilemma is that it may need repairs down the road as the vehicle ages. I have owned a new Mazda Protege in the past and that vehicle had 220,000 miles before i sold it and it also ran like a champ."

Everything continues to work no problems ever.

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "great handling for an SUV"

Cons: "some highway road noise but tires have 59K miles"

"Car has lived in Florida and Texas, body is in perfect shape. No engine problems, 21- 24 gas mileage."

Love this car!!

By on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pros: "Great trip car!"

"Love my car! Only wish the carpet and upholstery were a little better quality."

highly recommended!

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "stylish interior, excellent handling, smooth ride"

Cons: "city gas mileage"

"Extremely pleased with our upgrade from minivan to Touring CX-9. The 3rd row seating still provides us with plenty of passenger room (or easy spacious fold-down cargo room when called upon), but with exceptional road handling that makes it very fun to drive. Blind spot monitoring is a great feature. And, favorite interior comfort and styling among vehicles we considered (Pilot, Pathfinder, Highlander, Journey, Traverse)... definitely test drive a CX-9 if you are in the market for any one of these."

I love this car!

By on Friday, April 18, 2014

Pros: "roomy, quiet,smooth running"

Cons: "blind spots, gas mileage"

"I have had many cars in my life and have never bought the same make/model twice.....until now! The CX-9 is a great car that has never let me down. It drives like a dream, has excellent pick up, lots of fun options and it looks amazing. The Bose sound system is a real treat as is the dual seat heat, and climate control. It COMFORTABLY fits all 8 of us (myself, husband and 6 kids)...even on longer drives. There is lots of leg room and cargo space with the seats down. I have rarely had to take it in for anything other than standard repairs, ie: wheel bearings and exhaust. The only thing that ever bothered me are the blind spots. If you buy this car, they take some getting used to as they are pretty significant. It now has 105,000 miles and is still running strong. I would keep it, but we are downsizing 2 cars for one and a NEW CX-9 is the only way to go!"

great car

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "zoom zoom"

Cons: "noisey"

"little noisy on highway"

best car i've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

"regular maintenance and cleaning runs and looks like new. absolutely no problems at all."

Quiet, smooth, responsive, lots of space

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, practical, quiet, spacious"

Cons: "Not the greatest mpg"

"Really a well built car. A pleasure to drive. Comfortable seating."

One of the best SUV`s on the auto market.

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Excellent styling design handling and quality"

Cons: "Stiff ride in back seats"

"No further comments"

Best car ever owned-86300 miles w/ few problems.

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliability. Comfort. Family friendly."

Cons: "Big vehicle so gas mileage not great. Duh."

"Ultra reliable.Only had one major issues which was rear wheel bearings (rare problem) replaced under warranty at 50000 miles. Other than that, just tires and oil changes. Check brakes every year and still they are OK. Incredible. Drives great."

you will spend way to much on gas

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

"Oh where to start...... I love/hate this vehicle. It looks good, drives good and is very comfortable to sit in. The ride is a bit clunky and I'm very disappointed in the gas milage. No where near what I expected. I don't drive crazy nor do I haul heavy loads yet I get only about 12 miles to the gallon. Please keep this in mind when considering the Mazda cx9"

Solid all around value with a few minor drawbacks

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Handling, versatility, comfortable seating"

Cons: "Quirky radio/climate controls"

"Purchased new in early 2012, we were drawn to the Mazda CX-9 by the roomy, comfortable interior with high quality materials and a 3rd row seat in a fairly compact package. Ease of opening and folding the 3rd row seat sold the wife on this car. She loves it. So do I. With 22000 miles, the CX-9 has had only two unscheduled visits to the dealer. 1. A power steering belt broke; and 2. I had to cut the seat belt in the right rear to extract my child who had been squirming around and got himself inextricably entwined in the seat belt which cinched up around him and could not be unfastened. Mazda was good enough to cover that repair even though I didn't expect them to. A bit disappointed with 16-17 MPG city and 22 hwy. but with adequate acceleration. Had hoped for 3-4 MPG more each. Braking very good with 80% pads left after 22,000 miles. Brakes squeak occasionally when cold but there is a kit Mazda installs to eliminate this. Excellent driving position and comfort on long hauls. No fatigue after a 3 1/2 hour drive and that's exceptional for me with my bad back. Love the Blind Spot Monitoring system. Works great. The gauges are a bit dated looking and are either too bright or too dim at night with limited adjustability. A very slight turn of the dimmer knob either direction maxes it out either way. The rear view camera provides a somewhat distorted view to the rear. Daylight glare on the screen washes out that view. Handling is exceptional for an SUV of this size. But ride can be a bit bouncy on certain surfaces with the 20" wheels on the Grand Touring. And the OEM Bridgestone tires became rather noisy with a loud humm after 20,000 miles. The radio/climate controls beep every time you make a selection. Wish I knew how to turn that off. It's a bit annoying. And the radio/climate display read out at the top center of the dash is not prominent enough. I prefer a clearer, larger display. Also, the keyless ignition on the 2012 model is a bit quirky. The keyless fob allows you to turn the "dummy" ignition switch on the steering column, as opposed to a "push start-push off" button. None of that is that big of a deal to us however. Overall, we're very happy, and glad we bought the 2012 model. We DO NOT LIKE the 2013-2014 exterior redesign."

Love my CX-9 - 115,000 miles and going strong!

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, feel safe, love the sleek style"

"I drive a lot of miles and really enjoy the luxury and comfort and handling of the CX-9. It has all the features I want in a sleek and sexy style. Handles well and I feel safe in this vehicle. Our daughter is learning to drive in this SUV and I feel comfortable knowing it has great safety features."

good and bad, all subjective... next!

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "Cargo room, relative comfort, reliability"

Cons: "Forward angled steering/dash, bulky/cheap feel"

"Bought this '11 GT FWD new coming out of an '08 Pathfinder... wanted something more car like in drivability, but still needed lots of cargo room. Almost didn't buy due to FWD torque steer and driver position/steering/dash reach. Mostly the reasons I'll likely be trading this tomorrow on a VW AWD Touareg. The Mazda is nice, it is very reliable, and drives pretty well, but does feel big, cause it is! It has a HUGE amount of cargo space, which I needed more than now at purchase time. Maybe I should have gotten the AWD, but wanted better gas mileage which is pretty lame as it is (17.5 avg). I hate the FWD torque steer. Almost dangerous in 'need to get out of the way' situations. It just spins the front tires. Worse for me (at 5'8") is the angle of the steering wheel (also too small IMO) and dash (all forward leaning) and the subsequent far reach for all. A '9/3' hand position on the wheel is almost impossible when pedal distance is correct. Nav screen not readable in sunlight due to this ridiculous angle as well. (Nav is also not very intuitive to use). Other gripes is lack of lit up controls like windows (besides drivers), locks, mirrors, etc, which I didn't catch til first night drive after purchase-have to open the dang door to see the lock/unlock button! ... cost cutting, but lame. Stereo is way boomy and too much low/low mids, not natural. Truck feels thin and cheap to me. Having said that, I got a great deal on it when buying, and it wasn't that expensive to begin with. So, you get what you pay for. Bluetooth does work well, and voice recognition is decent. As stated, it's a very nice truck/car, probably better suited to bigger folks with long arms! The above mentioned are deal breakers for me though, so after lots of research, going back to German solidness/engineering (had a few Beemers and Audis). More expensive, but again, you get what you pay for."

Great car. I would recommend buying one!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "all around fun car yet great for the family"

Cons: "window and lock controls hard to reach"

"This is the first new car I have ever purchased. When comparing to the domestic counterparts, this car was a steal. Very functional, decent mileage, great for my large family, and fun to drive."