2007 Mazda CX-9

Based on 265 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

Best minivan alternative for those with 2 kids.

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Asian Transmission, reliability, quality"

Cons: "Upgrade to better rotors is a must."

"My CX-9 is a FWD 2008, Grand Touring with every option possible. The only difference in the 2011/2012 from the 08/09 is an updated fob, new front bumper with redesigned fog lights, different wheels, and a couple changes to the interior. Interior changes are: softer leather, some button re-arrangement on the steering wheel and center console. It now has traffic alerts on the Nav as well as streaming stereo bluetooth for those who buy the GT. The rear center console has buttons for the air controls rather than knobs. The only problems I have had with my 2008 with 40k miles are the following: Fan/Blower motor relay went bad, a 10 dollar part. Replaced the front rotors and pads. The CX-9 tends to go through brakes faster than most vehicles because the rotors are a bit smaller than they should be. To counteract this, you can buy aftermarket cross drilled and slotted rotors which dissapate heat better. The CX-9 drives like a sports car, with the exception that you can feel its 4,000 lb weight going around corners, but it still handles way better than any other 3 row crossover. The 6 speed transmission with autostick is shared by the V6 Lexus suv's and the VW Toureg. It is an Asian/Japanese transmission, and is nearly indestructable. It is only rated for 3500 lbs of towing, but this is a plus because that means it is not built with bricks, and does not weigh anything close to the Buick Enclave. My wife and I love our CX-9. It is very reliable, it is fast, drives very very well, GT has 20 inch wheels with 50 profile tires, so if you dont like a very firm ride, then dont get the GT. With the great engine, transmission, bucket seats, nav, moonroof, Bose 9 1 (sub) sound system, power liftgate, performance handling, leather, HID headlamps, and you can easily negotiate one for 34-36,000 new, there is just nothing out there that compares for that price. I got mine used, in near new, perfect condition, no scratches on wheels. 32k miles, like new inside and out, for 23k in Feb. 2011 and it was sold to the original customer in October, 2008, and sat at the VW dealer during winter of 2010/2011 so it was actually only driven for 2 years. If you look hard you can get a really good deal on a used one. I cannot recommend the CX-9 high enough. I come from a VW background, and got really tired of all the maintenance problems. I am very satisfied with my Mazda. Its a little slice of Heaven. The reason I say it is good for 2 kids is because you have to slide the 2nd row seat(s) forward to access the 3rd row, so if you have one rearfacing child seat, then you cant really slide that seat foward much. If you have forward facing childseats, then there is ok room to access the 3rd row. I am 240 lbs 6 foot 1 and can comfortably sit in the 3rd row with adults in the 2nd row. It really is not bad. However, if you use the 3rd row, there is not much room for cargo behind the 3rd row. Great SUV."

super car

By on Thursday, October 01, 2009

"I am a 50 year old male have had a few cars in my time the cx-9 is by far the best auto I have ever own, drives and performs great. My spouse and I lease the car and we were hook could only buy the car cause we like it so well. The only down fall was we started hearing wind noise."

Best AWD ever

By on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pros: "mileage, driveability, great in snow."

Cons: "A little more storage in center console"

"Had Chevy Suburban, Toyota Sequoia and Honda Pilot. Never needed the off road of Chevy or Toyota. New Honda has been so cheapened. Mostly highway from Boston to ski resort in Maine every weekend in winter. Absolute must in snow territory. Excellent in snow or wet conditions. My mileage is great. Consistent 23-24 mpg on highway 70 mph. Around town it's 18 mpg. I calculate actual miles and then gallons used. The mpg on the dash is always 2 mpg lower than my calculation.Anyway it's quiet, fun to drive and a good value. 2 friends who tested mine bought a new one."

LOVE IT ZOOM ZOOM

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "comfort, style, leather interior, quiet, fun"

Cons: "Can't find any."

"Bought new in 2008 after my 2004 6 sport(still own it) was paid off. LOVE this SUV. Normal maintenance and oil changes done. Never broken down, never left on the side of the road. Rear shock just failed today. After the repair I still smiled when I got back in and drove home. Normal repair and on other cars I have had that happen at 50,000 miles. This car rides like a sports sedan. My neighbor with his Explorer can't believe this is 6 years old. Thinking of trading and then keep saying WHY? Those that complain about mileage just realize it's an SUV (AWD) even though it feels like a smaller car. I press the peddle (big one on the right) and know I can beat most anything out there. Can Ford, GM or Chrysler say NO RECALLS. Between my 2004 and 2008 never a recall! Mazda, I will be back but it might be a while!"

Absolute best in drive and comfort!

By on Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pros: "Great design, interior flexibilty, and drive!"

Cons: "None so far"

"I traded in my 2002 Mazda 626 for the 2013 CX-9. After test driving an Explorer and a Pathfinder, we took the CX-9 for a spin. There simply is no comparison. While the Pathfinder has more length (and therefore slightly more third seat room), the CX-9 felt luxurious in comparison. The interior is beautiful and functional- not to mention the most comfortable we tested. It drives smooth, quiet, and powerful. The typical Mazda "zoom" is apparent even in their largest vehicle while driving as though it were a sedan, hugging curves and parking with ease. I love that the middle row slides to allow for comfort. The interior design is sleek and very inviting. We got lucky and ended up purchasing a Demo vehicle, which allowed us to afford the Grand Touring. The Bose stereo is amazing! Even the kids are impressed. I drove my first Mazda for 11 years and I can definitely see myself in this one for another 11 !"

By on Friday, September 19, 2008

"Best minivan alternative (more space vs. Acura MDX and more "car-like" vs. GMC Acadia)"

By on Monday, July 28, 2008

"Without a doubt, the finest overall vehicle I have ever owned..I drove a Lexus 350 before the Mazda. Highway and city handling is superb. I find only one fault: a bit hungry. Bose sound system is wonderful. Indeed worth the money. Highly recommend the Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring"

First Head Turner

By on Friday, April 25, 2008

"This is the first vehicle I have owned that gives me real pride of ownership. Rock solid ride and power to spare. I have never not been able to get more power....avg cruising speed 80...do lots of driving on open roads in CA / NV. Bought this one as a new 2007 after the 2008's arrived. Dealer had added chrome to the 20" rims - getting lots of compliments. You couldn't be too tall to sit in the 3rd row but the grand kids aren't that big yet anyway. Gas mileage could be a little better. Like the Bluetooth and Navigation but could be better I maxed out on Bluetooth memory pretty quickly.....this is my mobile office so am pushing these features further than most. This truly is the first vehicle I am PROUD to own!"

Stylist

By on Sunday, April 06, 2008

"Excellent in every way except for three things that you really don't test drive it for: wind noise above 50 mph; sounds of running water around door when driving in rain; and BBs sounds when rain strikes the plastic at the junction of the front/second row doors. Getting 21 mph which is good. Can get 5 golfers and bags in it."

sporty crossover

By on Friday, February 29, 2008

"I owned a Mazda3 before buying this vehicle, and was impressed with the standard equipment that was on that car. I purchased the CX-9 about 1 month after they came out, absolutely love the truck. It handles like a sportscar through the curves and even though it's only got 263 bhp, it takes off quick. I purchased the Grand Touring as that's the model 3 I had, and absolutely love the luxury this package provides. I looked at Acura and Lexus, but the Mazda blew both of them out of the water, at close to $6000 less."

Great new SUV

By on Saturday, December 01, 2007

"This vehicle is very cool to drive. I am not impressed with the power seat on the passenger side. It should go up and down. If you are very tall, you really have to bend over to get in on the passenger side or your WILL hit your head. The features are OK. I wish the headlights would come on automatically as well as the door locks when you take off or when the vehicle is put into gear. Over all, I love this vehicle, and will buy another one.."

Very Nice Drive, Fit, Finish, Quality

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Safe Feel, Look, Functionality, Sexy"

Cons: "Gas Mileage"

"I purchased this vehicle in Jan of 2013. My initial impression was how substantual and crisp the drive and handling were. I feel like if I hit another car, I would be ok without a seatbelt and would quite frankly destroy the other car. I take it over to Eastern WA and over the mountain passes. It's the first vehicle that I feel entirely safe in... and can bully those 18 wheel semis on those hairpin turns!!! It's a bit thirsty around town, bummer to see 16 MPG. Highway is a true 23 MPG. Handling is crisp and nimble, ride is appointed, not stiff but you feel bumps at times. I have the Grand Touring. I love my Bose and the interior is super nice. It's the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. It is my favorite vehicle ever! I would test drive one asap if you're in the market for SUV or CUV."

Reliable, comfortable, good highway mileage

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "dependability, comfort, driving"

Cons: "backing up, space, paint scratches easily"

"I bought this car new in 2008 and have been driving it hard ever since. I recently passed 100,000 miles. The only major repair I have had to do was to replace a tie rod. I've changed the oil every 7000 miles, replaced the tires once, brakes once, but other than that have never had a problem with it. My only complaints are that the front seat area is a little cramped with the center console, and it is scary backing up (hard to see out back - should have gotten the back up camera) but the comfort and dependability truly outweigh any negatives. I have averaged 18-20 mph around town and 24 on the highway. Great pickup and braking."

Great car with few flaws

By on Monday, April 09, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, somewhat sporty"

Cons: "Too much plastic, small third row, poor mileage"

"I've had mine for five years now and I love it. My only complaints are the low quality of the interior, ridiculously small third row and poor gas mileage. I have taken it to the dealer twice in the last five years only because the air conditioner broke down. Overall though it is a fantastic car."

We are truly impressed thus far

By on Monday, February 15, 2010

"We bought the CX-9 GT AWD after much research and test-driving. We were on the verge of buying either a Volvo XC90. We also considered the MDX, Highlander, Pilot and checked out the Q7 just for kicks. After spotting a CX9 at JFK airport, we decided to give it a test drive. We were blown away! We have done 2000 miles thus far and are enjoying every bit of it. Well finished interiors, except that the plastics in some areas are lacking in quality...but who cares. This is one mean driving baby. Our son loves our new "Jumbo" (compared to our smaller Volvo S60). It has all the safety features we were looking for, including my favorite (Blind Spot Monitoring); I have a bad right eye. If you are considering a new family hauler, do not look further. If there is anything I would say against it, it would be the overall ride on 20 inch wheels on rough roads. It does ride a bit stiff, but handles great with a great turning radius. Try out the model with the smaller wheels if you want a "cushy" ride."

Mildly disappointed

By on Saturday, April 04, 2009

"Had minor issues from day one. Wiring caused courtesy light not to work. Gas overflows when filling up (at different pumps). Terrible in the snow (suspect the tires). Rattles in dashboard and bushings just replaced. 2007 first year of production and many changes for 2008 suggest a rush to production."

Very good choice

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"I drove BMW's for a long time. When my last BMW X3 lease was finished I (at 74) decided to look at other brands which gave me the same or close overall performance. I ended up with the CX-9. I have driven this model for about one year on all kinds of roads and I am very satisfied."

I think it's a little pricey but I've enjoyed it.

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "reliable, dependable, sturdy, fun to drive"

Cons: "too pricey"

"I bought my 2007 CX9 in 2008. It is black with taupe leather interior. Comes with all the bells and whistles. I haven't had any problems with it. Great travel vehicle for the family. The kids can watch movies, play games and it can seat up to 7 people! The original battery lasted 6 years (not bad at all) and I just recently replaced it. I think the CX9's are a little pricey or perhaps we could have negotiated better. Thank goodness I can use regular gas otherwise a high monthly note on top of having to use the top grade gas would be a bit much to handle. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good dependable family car and can afford it. Thank goodness mine will be paid off soon!"

Great family vehicle

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "fast, quiet, rides good, comfortable seating"

Cons: "gas mileage, trying to get in the 3rd row"

"I have only had one problem out of this vehicle in 85,000. The air conditioning cabin filter got clogged and would not let the condensation out of the vehicle and shorted out my AC fan. It was a maintainace mistake on my part. One of the best SUV's out there"

Provides lots of sport

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Price, ride, handling, utility, regular gas"

Cons: "Dated navigation, spare tire placement"

my 2010 Mazda CX-9 on delivery day

"I like the ride and handling of the CX-9. It is not as luxurious as its up market competition but the Grand Touring version has all of the features I need. For the price I paid, it was a bargain. It can cart 101 cubic feet of stuff with the second and third rows folded and with the standard (GT version) Bose audio, navigation, Bluetooth, and blind spot monitors it provides welcome entertainment and information during the haul. It is also nice that it drinks from the regular unleaded pond. It is a worthy member of the zoom-zoom clan."

my 2010 Mazda CX-9 on delivery day

Love it!

By on Sunday, September 26, 2010

"We bought this car when we only had 1 child. A week later we found out we were expecting another! So happy we went for the bigger CUV. I love that it feels like you are driving a car, handles almost like one too. Roomy for 2 cars seats and an adult in the back seat, have only used the 3rd row a few times for kids/teenagers, they fit fine just hard to get back there due to the car seats being in the way of the fold down to get back there. Love that the 2nd row is on sliders, the rear hatch is easy to open and close one handed (I'm a small female) and plenty of room for a single and double stroller. Perfect height to slide the strollers easliy in and out. Wish it had a bit more storage space for cd's, sunglasses, etc. My husband hates the gas mileage! Barely 17 around town if I'm easy on it. The only issue we had was the relay sensor went bad, super easy to fix, not a huge deal. And the door checks creak ALOT but I am in and out of all the doors many times everyday! Overall, I LOVE IT!"

Sleek, Sofisticated, Satisfying

By on Sunday, November 15, 2009

"This is a VERY impressive vehicle. The quality and fine appointments are close to much more expensive Japanese luxury sedans. I know, I've owned three. Every little control button is lighted, the safety and technical features are outstanding. The included features and options on this 'Grand Touring' are abundant and remarkable...the "Bose" sound system is state -of -the-art, even the wipers are automatic and silent. The navagation and bluetooth systems "listen" and respond. One gets a safe and "enveloped" feel in the comfortable bolstered leather seats, with unexpected interior roominess and ambiance. Lots of power, tight turning radius. Exterior styling is 'head-turning'. This is one vehicle that you will sometimes just want to "take a ride" in, or you'll wish your destination was another 30 miles away. Don't miss taking a long look at this one. Outstanding...Seriously"

Decent but disappointing

By on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Many trips back to the dealer. Electrical (courtesy light quit working/not the bulb), front bushing replaced at 20,000 miles, door moldings came off, replaced, but now there's wind noise. Gas mileage is terrible. Performance in snow is bad probably due to tires. Won't be buying it at lease end. No wonder there were many changes for 2008."

2008 Basic Sport Model

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"We have had the basic model for almost six months now. We are very pleased with its performance and style. Not too many CX-9's out there, so we still get a lot of stares. The MPG in the city is a bit dissapointing (our mini-Van got a bit better gas-mileage, go figure!) But when you compare it to other cross-overs, it's actually competitive, and better yet when compared to SUV's like the Tahoe, Explorer, Outlook, etc. When cruising on the freeway, you can hear the wind as if a window was slightly open....the only complain we have. Othewise, we are totally happy with it!"

Holding Up Well!

By on Thursday, February 19, 2009

"This my family's only vehicle and my wife and I are running this into the ground (55k+ already)! We have been doing regular maintenance and haven't had any problems so far. I think it may be a bit pricey, but as long as it can handle what we dish out then it's well worth it!"