• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2012 Mazda CX-7

7.8

Based on 315 Ratings for the 2007 - 2012 models.

Fun Car, Handles Great... Falls Apart.. JUNK

By on Monday, March 12, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Sporty, Looks Awesome"

Cons: "Breaks, Cheap Parts, Multiple Recalls, Money Eater"

"Well... We bought this car for our small family of 3, it is really fun to drive and it's sporty! Great car! Or so we thought, unfortunately we found out once this car is out of warranty everything breaks! :( The engine itself makes strange ticking noise, our A/C went out, the car has "died" randomly, the engine smokes from the tailpipes, turbo dies... All of these issues we found out were common problems which mazda issued recalls for... Unfortunatly once your car is out of warranty Mazda will not repair any of the recalled issues - a real bummer. (Go do some research on the CX-7 and reviews, you will find many people HATE this car solely due to the fact that the CX7's are plagued with MAJOR mechanical problems, especially the 2007 CX7's. All that said, I wish I hadn't paid what I did for this car... Fun to drive - Zoom Zoom! But a pain in the wallet, unfortunately I will never own or keep a Mazda that does not have an active warranty after I rid myself of this car - due to my problems with this car and Mazda not honoring known recalls... Anyway steer clear of this car unless you have deep pockets or the previous owner has already done work to correct the known issues."

Excellent performance, fast, stylish

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "fast, fun to drive, good power, roomy, utility goo"

Cons: "could be quieter"

"Great acceleration; Good ride; stylish; average interior road noise; local dealer could be better; low cost maintenance; good creature comforts."

It's okay

By on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pros: "reliable engine, good cabin size"

Cons: "no AUX input, no V6, poor mileage, high octane req"

"In March 2011, I bought a used CX-7, after my previous car was totaled in an accident. I knew that I needed something bigger so I opted for the crossover styling of the CX-7. The interior features seem somewhat cheap. It's reliable, which is good. I wish it had an AUX port for my iPod. I do not like the fact hat you are required to use high grade fuel. I also do not like the low gase mileage. The engine is a 4 cylinder and it only gets about 19 miles per gallon. My previous car was a V6 and got about 25 miles per gallon."

great vehicle

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "great speed, reliable"

Cons: "have to use premium gas only"

"I bought my cx-7 new in 2007 and I love it. I have not had any major problems with other than a recall on something. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone. It is very reliable. The only bad thing about it is you have to use premium gas"

bad turbo timing chain with recall notice

By on Thursday, February 02, 2012

Cons: "TOO MANY TO LIST SEE MAZDA CX7 ON LINE ABOUT OTHER"

"Mazda had a recall on 2 items turbo leaking oil mine 1 qt every 500 miles also the timing components we recieved the notice 2 weeks ago it was only good to 70000 miles. They would not help in any way!!!! I maintain records for every oil change fillup ect. I called Mazda corprate"

Overall a good car. Some minor annoyances.

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

"Keyless entry is really fussy sometimes. The ABS on this car is really not good."

Powerful

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

"Powerful Engine Comfortable Smart Design Reliable"

nice vehicle, but paid too much

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "looks nice inside and out"

Cons: "gadgets are not easy to access"

"interior leather is nice, but there is alot of plastic in this vehicle. i have always drove toyota's and regret that i downgraded to a mazda. i wanted an all wheel drive and thought this was all i could afford. i should have shopped around because i could have gotten a nicer vehicle for the price i paid for the cx 7"

Never had a single problem, mileage right on

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "very comfortable, reliable"

"No complaints at all"

Love this crossover!

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"I have no complaints regarding this vehicle. Drives well in the snow, decent mileage, and comfortable ("

worst vehicle

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "Nice leather and navigation"

Cons: "Mostly everything but the pros I wrote"

"bumpy,no pickup,hard to manage over 60mph"

I love this car

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, quick, comfortable"

Cons: "Have to use premium gas because it's got the turbo"

"I bought this car a few years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter. It has been a great car and I love it because it is super quick and very peppy. It's also a very good looking car. My husband has been trying to get me to trade it in and lease a vehicle to get rid of the loan but I just can't seem to part with this car. The only thing I don't care for is it doesn't have some features like my 2005 Ford explorer had, such as the temperature readings, doesn't tell me how many miles til empty for the gas and it only has one adapter outlet. Really wish I had two. Other than that the seats are super soft and comfortable and it's just spacious enough for everything I do with it. Overall I love my car and plan on having it for a few years longer."

Maintenance Costs have been ridiculous!

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "great driving vehicle. sporty and comfortable"

Cons: "low mileage and too many breakdowns!"

"I own a 2007 Cx-7. At 30,000 miles the AC Compressor burnt up. Was told this is common in this vehicle. At 38,000 I am having to replace the timing belt at $1500 /_ Very unhappy with my car at this time. I am looking into trading ASAP. Very disappointed and will not buy another Mazda product."

Driving it until the wheels fall off

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "Great cargo, styling, fun and comfy to drive"

Cons: "brakes, premium gas, no MP3 plug"

"This is my 9th car.... I have had it almost the longest of any car I have driven. I love it. It is zippy, good in snow, people think it is a Lexus. It has great cargo room for the class of 07 smaller SUVs. We take it everywhere. We pile in our two medium/large sized dogs and put the bikes on the back and go. I drive regionally as a sales rep and this car has been from Philly to Maine and back to CT in a week. We live 600 hundred feet in elevation over our town and having AWD is a necessity in the winter. I never worry about getting stuck. Things I would change. Original tires wore out fast... brakes are garbage and have to be fix/replaced early and often but I understand that is the Chinese steel everyone is making them from these days. Not great storage for stuff out of site. Wish it had a cargo rack and it takes premuim gas and the mileage isn't so wonderful."

I hate this vehicle

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

"Everything that can go wrong has...new battery and front brakes before one year of ownership; new transmission at 60,000K, wheel bearing issues within two years of ownership, everything that needs repair is never the simple "on-the-surface" repair, i.e. a headlight out is really a wiring issue resulting in replacement of entire casing. What seemed to be an excellent value has cost me more than any two of my previously owned vehicles put together. I loved the looks and the ride but definitely all for show."

best suv ever...

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"great driving experience and so may more. luv this car.."

Good when it works

By on Sunday, December 25, 2011

Pros: "LOTS of room! Fun to drive."

Cons: "Poor fuel economy, big car = needs more HP"

"AC compressor replaced under warranty at 11K. RR wheel bearing replaced NOT under warranty at 36K. VVT replaced under warranty at 40K. Turbo replaced under warranty at 50K. Engine replaced under warranty at 56K. Now at 70K and needs LF wheel bearing and another new turbo and out of warranty. Turbo is poorly designed. I have made no engine or performance modifications to this vehicle nor do I abuse it. I have always used a quality synthetic motor oil and regular scheduled oil changes."

Regret buying

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Handles well, fun to drive, roomy for size"

Cons: "Low quality, low warranty, poor fuel economy"

"My wife had to have this car and we've been regretting it ever since. It is cheaply made and you can feel it in every aspect. It is however fun to drive as it is sport tuned but as far as a "SUV" feeling goes it rides like box of rocks. The wide tires are horrible in the snow/rain. The paint faded from grey to a purple/grey hue. The ac compressor went at about 50,000. I would advise anyone to stay away it wasn't worth the money and now are upside down in loan because the resale value stinks."

Big upside surprise for a former Lexus owner

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Cons: "Rear shldr belt conn to roof so visible in mirror"

"I had decided that I was tired of big car payments and overpaying for Lexus cars (my previous 4 cars were Lexus). I did a lot of looking (found the seats on the Sorrento and Hyundai version very uncomfortable), the smaller SUVs from Toyota and Nissan to be uninspiring and luckily found the Mazda CX-7. I got an incredible deal on the Sport version, paying $2,500 less than MSRP along with zero percent financing for 60 months. Afer owning this for >2 months I have to say I am very pleased. Climate control, rear camera, moonroof, power driver's seat, and lots of little things make this car a very good ride and good value for the money. The mpg's are a bit lower than expected but I have done mostly city driving so that is expected (22 mpg but 25.5 mpg when I did a long hwy stint). I am not a fan of the tires so in this case I am glad the tires on new cars all wear out quickly. But having owned an RX300, RX330, GX470 and more recently an RH400 I fully expected to not be happy with whatever I got. Could it use a bit more pep? Yes. DO I wish the pasenger's seat was power, sure as my wife would appreciate it. But a lot of things just work with this car. It is fun to drive, handles pretty well and I love the fact that it is $20-25,000 LESS than the RX350. And that is before the zero percent financing. I HIGHLY recommend this vehicle."

Great car

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, good gas mileage, reliable"

Cons: "some maintanance is costly, no air vents in rear"

"I bought my 2008 Mazda cx7 brand new, I can say it's overall the most carefree car ownership experience I have ever had. I am dilligant about keeping up with maintanance, oil changes, and such. My only complaints are the costly oil changes running nearly $100 for the synthic oil and tires where also expensive to replace. My wife does complain that the car is not very friendly for a tall person and constantly is bumping her head."

Great Value

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "drives like a car, fun features"

Cons: "fuel efficiency"

"This vehicle has treated me very well over the past 6 months. I am delighted with its ease of use and driving comfort. Although it is not fully loaded, it has some really nice features, such as climate control, heated seats, backup camera and leather. This crossover SUV drives just like a car; I couldnt ask for more.....besides better gas mileage. Fuel efficiency is not horrible, but I believe it could be better. Value for the money is excellent."

I like this vehicle but don't love it.

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, great price,power"

Cons: "gas mileage, wind and road noise, clumsy manual"

"I have owned many Mazdas but this is my first Mazda CUV/SUV. I like the ride and power ( I have 2.5 non turbo)but I do not like the wind noise especially with the windows down...it creates a weird tunnel noise and shake. Mazda claims 20/28 city/hwy with a combined 23 mpg. I have yet to get better than 22 mpg regardless of city or hwy. I do like the style and sporty feel but it is a bit more clumsy on the turns compared to the Mazda3. I love the sportronic type of driving with shifting transmission without the clutch...it gives a sportier feel. But I do not like the way it shifts from 1st to 2nd in the manual mode---it feels like a delay. Perhaps I have a get use to a non sports car. I do like the cargo space...but my rear seats do not really fold down completely flat. I like to see how it handles in snow. I also found out the pigeons even love the higher ground clearance on this vehicle...they are always under my vehicle in the parking lot. Overall I love Mazdas and would buy another but not the CX7/9 unless the design and gas mileage are improved (like with the new SKYACTIV)."

Excelent vehicle...looks nice, drives great

By on Sunday, November 06, 2011

Pros: "Looks and rides great"

Cons: "nothing"

"Could be better in gas..of course if u buy a 4 cylinder don't expect V8 power, but it's fast enough to take u everywhere."

Love this vehicle! Have owned for 2 years now

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

Pros: "Gas mileage, feel of an SUV, design, heated seats!"

Cons: "that we didn't get AWD or 4WD - for winter driving"

"We bought our 2007 CX-7 used and we have now owned for over 2 years. We were initially looked for a Honda Accord, but fell in love with this car. We were afraid we might regret purchasing it after a few months, because this was the only one we drove and we didn't compare, we actually bought the same day we first saw it. I love that it gets just as good of gas mileage as a car, but sits up a bit higher like a SUV. I love the cross-over style. We get lots of compliments on the interior, ours is two-tone, black and cream. The only money we have had to put into this is new tires. Would recommend to anyone!!"

not that good

By on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Pros: "good on gas"

Cons: "smokes alot if you let it idel longer than 5 min"

"bought it new and after a while it started to smoke and the mazda guys kept saying nothing is wrong with it and its normal so asked them to change out a few things and still nothing worked. every month it gets worse and worse. i feel worse everytime it smokes up the people behind me! I dont recommend this car to anyone and hope mazda has a recall on this model. save your money everyone."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mazda CX-7 near Honolulu. See local deals