• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2009 Mazda CX-7

7.8

Based on 315 Ratings for the 2007 - 2012 models.

One of the best cars I owned !

By on Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Pros: "Performance, Stability, Design, Quality, Service"

Cons: "Price, Air isolation on high speeds"

"I had a great experience with Mazda. The car gave me a great performance based on the 2.3L turbo engine and also super stable on the road. The air isolation while driving on high speeds was fair but not perfect. I loved driving it. Moreover, the service was really excellent and very cooperative."

It's an OK car,but don't think I would get another

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

"I bought my 2010 Mazda cx7 new. This car is really fun to drive, and very reliable...no problems so far, but my biggest issues are: The pick up when getting onto a highway or passing The horribly cheap interior that scratches easily everywhere, and my black interior seat material, and carptet material is the hardest interior I ever had to keep clean. Everything clings everywhere! Seats are so hard to vacuume, back trunk area walls scratch very easily as well as front area, and the over all plastic on the interior doors get dirty easy. My interior is all black. Back seat room and visibility sitting in back is not so great. Head room is low. My husband hates driving it because the front seat does not go back enough for him. Also, you have to put your front seats up quite far so there is leg room in back for passangers. Blind spot when driving because of the window frame being so thick. A/C is not great either. Blower is very loud on a hot day here in Floria because you have to keep it on 3 level at least and that is LOUD!"

Great Vehicle

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

Reason: Need better gas mileage

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Chugs gas"

"Owned this car for over a year. Payment was high and it didn't get great mileage."

Reliable, comfortable, fun to drive, mileage OK

By on Friday, February 22, 2013

Pros: "reliability and styling"

Cons: "MPG"

"Two years into this car and I have only had oil changes and windshield wiper replacements (and I live where we have had more than 100 days of 100f weather since I got the car, so I understand the wiper blade replacement). The MPG is much better on the Freeway than in the city, but it is still O.K. 22/29 average."

Disappointed - I bought a lemon!

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Reason: Too many problems, horrible gas mileage

Pros: "Fun too drive, AWD was great in snow"

Cons: "HORRIBLE gas mileage, too many mechanical problems"

"I only had this car for 82,000 miles and I had so many problems with it. The air conditioner, oil leaks, starter, etc. etc. I loved the way it drove and how it looked but as mine was a 2007 and had a turbo I could only use premium gasoline and I NEVER got more than 17 mpg all highway miles. I had a Mazda3 and traded it for the cx7 because we were having a 2nd child and needed something with more room. What a mistake! It really didn't feel like there was that much more room. Just discovered another oil leak issue and as my extended warranty had just run out a month ago I decided that it wasn't worth the stress of wondering what was going to go wrong next and how much it was going to cost. Paid it off and bought a Camry. Mazda's are fun to drive and the cx7 is no exception but too many costly mechanical problems. In my case, the cx7 was a lemon."

dont buy this car!!

By on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pros: "big inside, feels like a suv but its a car"

Cons: "too many problems that cost a lot to fix"

"this car has had so many problems, i have had to put over $6000 worth of work into this car within the first 2 years of owning it. i ready reviews online and all over the usa people are having the same issues"

Fun Driving Crossover!

By on Saturday, December 15, 2012

Pros: "Appearance, price, value, sportiness"

Cons: "A little underpowered"

"I've now had this car for a little over a year, this is my second Mazda. It is so much fun to drive! My girlfriend has a CRV, and I can't stand the sloppy steering, my CX is nimble with great road feedback. I love the sportshift on mountain and hilly roads. Gas mileage has been pretty decent, I drive mostly freeways and average 26 mpg, not so good around town, but a recent trip to Vegas got me almost 30! I do wish there was a little more power out of the 4cyl, but 95% of the time, it's plenty adequate. Love the Bluetooth and back up camera. I plan on doing what I did with my last Mazda, and driving it for ten years and racking up the miles! My protege only required oil, brakes, tires, belts, and a muffler in 150k miles, and I think my CX will do the same!"

bad gas miles for a 4cy

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pros: "not all the goodies on this veh as what is on the"

Cons: "not all the goodies on dash what shown bad"

"thegas rating is not up to book facts the most i get is 20 mpg its a 4cy"

Excellent Value

By on Friday, November 16, 2012

Pros: "Handling is superior. Fun to drive"

Cons: "Wish it had a little more power. I came from a V8"

"I drove the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV. This CX7 was better in ride comfort , handling and blew them away on style. I haveonly changed my oil and nothing else. This Mazda is the best car I have ever owned. The only thing bad is everyone wants to hitch a ride with you."

Luv it!

By on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, good visibility, comfortable"

Cons: "Road noise too loud, low gas mileage"

"Just the right size, comfortable. Handles the road well, exterior stylish looking, quality interior with great features."

Replaced my minivan!!

By on Monday, October 22, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, handles well"

Cons: "none yet!"

"I just bought this car in June. It has about 4500 miles on it and I love it. The only problem has been that we've already had to have the rotors smoothed - the brakes were pulsating at 60 mph. Other than that, I've got no complaints. I looked at alot of other cars before buying my CX7 and the CX7 had the most options at the best price."

great vehicle

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Cons: "road noise, but sound system takes care of that"

"I like this suv more now than when I bought it 6 yrs ago. It is a great mountain car, alot of fun on mountain trails where I live. Truely did not expect to keep it this long. I have no intentions of getting rid of it."

Kept this car longer than any car ever! Love it!

By on Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pros: "Just the right size - fun to drive - dependable"

Cons: "No temperature or compass on my car :("

"I have enjoyed this car for over 5 years, the longest I've ever owned a car! It has been dependable, with consistent gas mileage of 20 - 21mpg around town. Love the exterior styling."

I lease this vehicle and have approximately 21,000

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

I don't own this car

Pros: "Fun to drive. Stands up to the ZOOM ZOOM name!!!!"

Cons: "All listed in my review."

"Before I begin, believe me, I am an overall Mazda Zoom Zoom lover. The vehicle is beautiful and is indeed a nice ride. I have some suggestions for the powers that be. I had a Mazda 3 prior that had fog lights, however the CX-7 does not have that option, and should be standard for all vehicles. I have been told by the sales reps that daytime running lights is NOT an option for any Mazda vehicles and I thing it should be, which would save me a few dollars with the insurance company. Also, the AC level is not up to par and should be reevaluated. The interior has a very low grade look to it. I love the heated front seats, which should also be an option for the rear seats. The CX-7 has the space for the sun glass holder, yet it is just left there as an empty shell. This option is built into the CX-9. It would also be nice to have the mute button for the radio same as my Mazda 3 had. Believe me, I love Mazda through and through, I just had a few suggestions to improve the fleet."

Only thing good is its fun to drive

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Too many to list!"

"54,000 miles and here are the problems. Ticking at start up and while cold. Air conditioner not cold. These are the third set of tires! Mpg is not good. Replaced fuel sensor and the CD player does not work. Service much below par."

overall very satisfied

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pros: "comfortable front and back. like the storage"

Cons: "large blind spot on right."

"have the four cyl version. very good for highway driving, except if windows get put down loud noise."

Best Car I ever bough

By on Monday, July 09, 2012

Pros: "Great price, easy to drive and handle, very roomy"

Cons: "No moon roof on mine, no child locks,"

"I drove this car from Iowa to Oregon which is like 1800 miles and I had no problems with it. I got great gas mileage while driving and I had my car packed to the roof. I loved this car since I test drove it. It doesnt have as much a blind spot as others I have test driven and It was decently priced. The only think I wish it did was lock the doors once you start driving and I wish it had a mooon roof but thats what I get for getting the cheapest one. If I trade it in, its gonna be for the same make and model but just newer. I am forever a Mazda lover. I have had this car for a year and love all of it. The only down side is that I wish it could have had more towing power."

Worst vehicle ever!

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "none"

Cons: "total money pit and dont expect mazda to help.."

"As long as you don't mind 10/mph to the gallon, replacing the turbo, transmission, VVT, and timing belt sometimes multiple times than this is the car for you.. paid 17k for it used and have had 14k in repairs and it still runs terrible.. stay away.. you've been warned."

Good car for those transitioning from cars to SUVs

By on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Cons: "Weak engine for the size of the car"

"I bought this car in December 2011. I've had it for 4 months now. It is a nice car, although I have to say the engine is a little too weak for it. It sounds just like mom's old Protege. I guess when you but an SUV you are expecting a little more manly sound under the hood. But I can't complaint too much because I'm getting good mileage in the city (about 21 MPG). Not much highway driving done yet. So far I've had no mechanical issues. The interior scratches easily, and I chose black exterior that also scratches easily. This is my first black car and my last one. Every little scratch shows in white! Inside it is very comfortable. The ride is smooth and fairly quiet. The bluetooth feature is awesome, I'm never again buying a car that doesn't have it. I also added the optional mirror with homelink, a must to keep the interior clean of loose accessories. If I could go back and make my selection again I would definitely add a cold weather package. Here in Chicago during the winter is nice when your mirrors stay dry even when it is snowing. I did not get the 4x4 and I have to say so far I do not regreat it. The car handles well in the snow as is and the fuel efficiency of this model is nice. Overall I'm satisfied with the car. My previous vehicle was a car (Passat) and I think my next one will also be a car. I guess I like cars better than SUVs, and aside from the occacional snow I do not really need an SUV."

Awful blind spot if you are short!!!

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

"I really love my CX-7 however there is one major thing I wish I realized before I bought the car. I am very short (under 5 feet) and the drivers side mirror is directly in my view when taking left hand turns, or even looking in that direction. With the seat at it's highest or lowest it is an awful blind spot for me and I wish I realized this when I test drove it. I have never had this problem with any other vehicle I have owned."

It is a great car, I love to drive this car.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Wonderful car, great value, a wonderful car to drive. Zoom Zoom lives up to the words."

Very haapy drive

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Good price, fun to drive"

Cons: "hated dealing with service department"

"We live in the D.C. area and drive in heavy traffic. Great highway driver. Good gas mileage (compared to '04 Murano traded-in. Great looks (Black Cherry/beige leather)"

By far one of the best cars I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, extensive options list"

Cons: "Poor fuel economy"

"I've had this car for just over a year and, apart from some somewhat glitchy electronics, there are no issues to date. When we bought this car, we actually went to look at a Subaru Forester. The price on the Mazda, however, beat it. It was a leftover from the previous model year and had many more options than the mid-level Forester. It's the S Grand Touring model with AWD, which comes standard with leather, heated mirrors and seats, blind spot monitoring system, auto-dimming rearview mirror with homelink, rain sensing wipers, a six disk in-dash CD/MP3 changer, navigation, smart key, rear-view camera, and the list goes on. We also added a Whispbar roof rack and cargo box that have thus far not affected the fuel economy. My only complaints are that the keys have freaked out a couple of times and has either not locked the car, unlocked the car, or allowed us to start the car. Other than that, we had to have the stereo head unit replaced under the warranty as it was constantly fading in and out."

Wonderful value for the price

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "great price"

Cons: "rear seat room"

"quite surprised with over all comfort and quality. purchased with 15k miles after one owner and am very pleased. gas mileage so far isnt impressive but acceptable and rear seat a bit small for 3 adults. no surprises yet."

Wonderful value for the price

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "great price"

Cons: "rear seat room"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mazda CX-7 near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for