2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,393 - $21,594.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 08/04/2016

10/9.5

Based on 208 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Looking for a Mazda 6 but bought the CX-5

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "Great drive, peppy engine, and great design"

Cons: "Navigation not included on Touring Package"

"Went to Mazda looking to buy a Mazda 6 that would replace my Nissan Altima that my son inherited. I have always wanted to own a Mazda but never could convince my wife to go look at them. Finally got her on the lot and she instantly started looking at the CX-5 and loved it. I did not realize the 2014 models were on lots and knew that the new model had the 2.5 liter 185 horse engine that is shared with the Mazda 6. Once I convinced the wife to get the Touring instead of the Sport edition I was stoked. Never driven a CUV that drives like a sporty car. This CUV does. The drive is what won me over and the wife liked the design. Every car/SUV has it's shortcomings and this is no exception. Navigation should be on the Touring but you have to buy the Tech package or pay $700 more for it. I also am not a fan of the center console air vents. They need to be a touch higher on the dash. At 6'1" the air hits me under the chin instead of blowing directly in my face. I love the design and the drive. The dash materials also impress me and I like how Mazda throws in a splash of stainless steel to accent certain parts of the vehicle. Seating is high so you get a good look at the road and the CUV does not have a blind spot like my older SUV does. Overall I am very pleased with this CUV and compared it to the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4, and Ford Excape and prefer it over all of them. I hope to get 10+ years out of this neat little CUV."

Best car in its Class

By on Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Pros: "Power, ride, style, value."

Cons: "Minor stuff like unlit Homelink buttons on mirror."

"Bought the 2016 Grand Touring version with Tech package. Most power and torque in its class. Sport mode gives a real boost when needed. Great ride and handling, an amazing combination. Very comfortable for my 6'4" body. Great that they have a beautiful 6 speed transmission instead of the sorry CVTs in other cars."

Much better than I expected

By on Saturday, October 24, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, gas saver, nice style, quite"

Cons: "tight interior space, not as convenient as others"

"I have been interested in Mazda for a while. However, last year I bought a Honda CRV 2014 because reliability is my top priority. The car was mediocre at every aspects. It has too much of road noise inside the cabin. I can hardly feel the acceleration. The stereo is below average even when I got the premium sound system. The only thing I liked about the CRV is its space. Then I had an accident and totaled the CRV. I decided to get the Mazda Cx-5. Best decision ever! This car handling is like a dream. The acceleration and steering are superb. Moreover, it is very quite and its interior is nice. It also come with keyless entry, Bose sound system, blind spot monitor...etc and is just a little bit more expensive than the Honda CRV. The Mazda is like 10 times better than the CRV in my opinion. The downside is it is not as spacious as the CRV."

Excellent Vehicle For The Money.

By on Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pros: "Great versatile vehicle."

Cons: "A lot of black in most trims."

"Well I took delivery two weeks ago and really was anticipating a very sluggish vehicle. Coming from a 2011 Ford Fusion(which I loved)with a 2.5 liter with a bit of pep, I was little apprehensive. I had to have a vehicle that was easier to get a toddler out of the car seat though and my Ford /Mazda dealer just got in the Mazda CX 5. I test drove the Sport Model with front wheel drive and A/T. Peppy enough and certainly more ergonomic for my situation. Literally as I was about to walk off the lot there sat a Touring with the Moonroof/Bose and AWD upgrade that just came off the car hauler. The dealership either through loyalty, advertisement,or pity gave 1600.00 more for what I paid for the Fusion last year, said it was because it was a Fusion and had low miles(5638). By the way did I state how much I loved the Fusion?! Long and not so short of it. I LOVE IT. It's a fun to drive experience. The vehicle is excellent on fuel. The Moonroof/Bose and AWD package actually made me feel like I was getting a little extra out of the deal as the Fusion did not have either. I wrote the check for the 2683.30 difference with a bit of pain similar to ripping off a band aid. I can assure you though for this humble Dad/Driver enthusiasts it was a short lived sting. After these two weeks I can tell you that yes this car will not win the Grand Prix but it will get you across the finish line in admirable time with the pleasure of you driving it there. I am not going to make excuses for the engine and don't feel I have to. From what I've researched it is Mazda's answer to efficiency and drivability and IMHO they scored big. Pardon the vernacular, but it does most certainly lend itself to the zoom-zoom characteristics as well as very good fuel economy. I can't argue with that."

Drive it to believe it

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pros: "This car was fun, fun, fun to drive."

Cons: "Needs a light in glove compartment"

"I started many months ago looking into a vehicle purchase. I wanted a vehicle that was a car like with good handling, four wheel drive, and storage capability. I did not want a station wagon. I believe the many smaller listed SUVs are really station wagons. I drove many of the highly reviewed mini SUVs. However, when driving these units they seemed truck like. I then test drove the Mazda CX-5. I was really blown away by the driving experience. Here was a SUV that handled like a sporty car. I was able to easily make turns and had a live feel I of the road. The appearance of the CX 5 is spot on with its definitive lines. I especially like how the rear looks with its integrated tail lights. The seats are really comfortable and provide excellent support. The Bose sound system really rocks with its surround sound technology. The 19 inch tires are another cool touch….look awesome. I simply say if you are in the market for a small SUV drive this puppy and you will not let it go. I bought this bad-boy and its been a heck of great ride so far. Mazda put a lot of thought into every part of this car and they looked at it from the driver’s view out and not the engineers view in. Drive safe out there."

From good to GREAT!

By on Friday, August 21, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, good looking and VERY fun to drive!"

Cons: "None!"

"This is my second CX5. The first one was already a very good SUV but the engine had no power which made it almost painful to drive in the highway. Thousands of customers complaint about this, Mazda took note and equipped the CX5 with a more powerful engine (more HP and better torque). The difference is impressive. Now this car feels and drives amazingly! The steering feels as if you were driving a BMW, it is simple PERFECT! Very comfortable car, nicely equipped in the Touring version, good quality materials and mechanically, 100% reliable. Great value for your money. Get one! You'll love it."

Horrible

By on Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Pros: "bluetooth, back up camera, blind spot monitor."

Cons: "Not reliable, always has an issue, no power"

"I thought Mazda was very reliable; that is why I bought this car. I have had nothing but issues with it. Right passenger front speaker went, trim on the roof fell off, check engine lights, car misfiring, poor gas milage (17mpg) city. And the car using too much gas when start up and getting into my oil! Transmission update, car hesitating and driving poorly. And all these problems have been in just ONE year of owning the car. Rear wiper motor went and the back up camera needs replacement.. DONT BUY THIS CAR"

Very surprised!

By on Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Pros: "Great performance, mileage, handling. Safety!!"

Cons: "Nav is junk!! TomTom. Headlights high beam!"

"We have had Honda's for over 30 yrs. We test drove all small SUV. This one is the best of them in our opinion! Safer ratings, good milage. The CRV was just cheap, Honda civic! More road noise!Rode chopy! We have the Touring model! They need improving on their NAV! IT's TomTom junk! Google maps on your phone beats it hands down! High beam headlights are poor. We need to see deer, & elk at night!These need to work better! Milage is better out of Calif. 30-33 mpg open road @ 75 miles per hour."

Almost Perfect

By on Friday, February 7, 2014

Pros: "great overall car"

Cons: "no lights in glove box or trunk"

"I've had this car for about a year now and I still love it. The only real complaints I can think of is that there is no light in the glove box, so if you open it at night, forget about it, you can't see anything. Same with the trunk...no light back there either, so same problem when it's dark, you can't see. Those are enough of an annoyance that I can't give the car a 10, but after a year I have zero problems with the car and still love it!"

I Like My Car!

By on Friday, June 8, 2012

Pros: "Great Gas Mileage, Nice Styling, Great Performance"

Cons: "Seats Uncomfortable"

"I looked at a number of cars before settling on the CX5 Touring (Jeep,Equinox,Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, Rav4,CRV). The CRV and CX5 are very close together, the others are not close in MPG. I am currently getting right around 37 MPG Average which has surprised the heck out of me! The car is very basic with no frills other than the backup camera and I added Homelink as an option. If you want real frills get the Grand Touring model. I bought the Sand/Black cloth interior and am concerned about it getting dirty and staining over time. The one major concern I have about the car is the seat comfort. My wife is sitting on a pillow to help with comfort. She says the seats are hard. I am getting used to the seat comfort so it does not bother me as bad (well see about a long trip). Other than the 2 concerns mentioned above we love the car. It is a little under powered, but I would expect that from a 2.0L engine. Mazda really has done a very good job with the engine size/transmission combination. If you want pep you really have to put your foot into it to get it. We are going to tow a PWC behind this vehicle, so we will see what happens to the MPG and performance when we get on the road. The CX5 has the largest towing capacity compared to the other vehicles we looked at. We are happy with the car and glad we bought it. Mazda has done a good job on this vehicle (except for the seat comfort, they need to work on that a little). I would buy the car again in a heart beat."

Solid

By on Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, gas mileage, sufficient power"

Cons: "I want built in quarter holders"

"This thing drives like a car. Very responsive. Great handling and maneuverability. Talk about awesome gas mileage. Enough power to haul four adults, one child, and trunk full of bags, up a steep grade without a problem."

Fun car to drive, No live traffic overlay.

By on Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Pros: "Handles nice, fun to drive"

Cons: "No live traffic overlay option, seats and headrest"

"This SUV is fun to drive. Love it all except... The free Nav does not integrate Live traffic. Mazda rep says this car will never get that feature. Subscription live traffic is not available for the car either. You have to rely on your cell phone and Waze if you want have a navigator direct you around traffic. That's a step backwards in tech. That makes the free CX-5 Nav pretty useless. Make sure the seat and headrest are comfortable for you."

THIS VEHICLE SURPRISED ME

By on Friday, August 14, 2015

Pros: "GREAT WINTER TRACTION, SPORTY DRIVING EXPERIENCE"

Cons: "SPACE FOR DRINKS AND OTHER SMALL THINGS"

"THE ALL WHEEL DRIVE WAS QUITE IMPRESSIVE IN THE UPSTATE NEW YORK SNOW THIS PAST WINTER. THIS DRIVES LIKE A SPORTY CAR, WITH LOTS OF PICK UP. PLENTY OF ROOM FOR PASSENGERS AND CARGO SPACE IN THE BACK. JUST NEEDS MORE ROOM FOR DRINKS AND OTHER THINGS. OVERALL I AM QUITE SATISFIED."

Worst mistake ever

By on Monday, November 25, 2013

Pros: "looked good at first"

Cons: "Paint. Power. Fuel efficiency. Worst service."

"I have 9000 miles on it. Can't get MPG any higher than 25 - on interstate driving with cruise control. Floor panel on center console keeps falling out. Heater doesn't warm the car well even after 20 minutes. The front fascia, bumper, and forward hood are riddled with white pock marks (over dark blue paint). The paint is so thin that my fingernails scratch it. The dealer won't stand behind the paint, Mazda Customer service closed my complaint after altering the facts. The service manager accused me of sandblasting the paint by "following construction vehicles." It looks like sandpaper on the front end and not a year old. FORGET MAZDA. I'll take my Jeep or Honda again any day."

GREAT SMALL SUV

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Interior, engine, ride, style, value, controls"

"I bought our CX-5 couple weeks ago love this SUV it has everything what you need for a small family SUV. Love it so much with three children and 2 dogs everybody be comfortable riding on the trip in CX-5. Its got rain sensor wipers, navigation in TOMTOM, iPod interface, blue tooth, Pandora radio capability, rearview monitor camera, infotainment center which love how shows me when album is playing with the picture showing one side and other shows artist and title of person singing song listen to. The heated seats are best in great seat cushion love the design in them looks more sportier the way they were factory built. CX-5 handles excellent I give this SUV a 5* star rating on being more safety for our family and having so much features in its class. Drive to it is very responsive and its quiet even has an 4 cylinder 2.5 skyactiv engine love how have best performance not lousy as some vehicles would be. Before making a purchase with our Mazda CX-5 did my homework on smaller SUVs in better values and features looked at RAV4, CR-V, Forester and CX-5 I decided to buy a Mazda over the competitors because have a better value and drove the best with having plenty of power after looking and test driving others I did my homework on they were great crossovers but just didn't give me a more responsive ride and handling like the CX-5. We still own a 2000 Grand Cherokee with no issues but found the CX-5 rides better and have bit more features than ever. We love Mazda products."

Nothing wife and I did not like about this car

By on Friday, March 13, 2015

Pros: "Great feel driving- stable, surefooted, spirited"

Cons: "Passenger seat could use power seat ajustability"

Wifes new zoom zoom next to hubbys pickup in drive

"Purchased the Fwd Touring model, wife use to cars with some giddy up and go, this delivers. Sport model test drive felt sluggish, get the touring or grand- the extra hp is worth it. Decided on Fwd vs Awd- pretty flat around here so just some snow too deal with and better long term fuel mileage. Touring came with the extras most want- bigger motor, backup camera, hands free for cellular and Pandora link for smart phone and other little touches. Passed on the big extras like moon roof and nav system. Wife is 5'4", I'm a tall 6'6" and we both fit comfortable in either seat. Time will tell if we get the expected use/mileage out of it but so far so good. Fuel mileage 24ish in town, 30 or so hwy with her driving (she a tad heavy on the pedal and not use cruise enough)."

Wifes new zoom zoom next to hubbys pickup in drive

Great value and comfort

By on Saturday, May 7, 2016

Pros: "Overall a very good car"

Cons: "No radio "OFF" switch"

"After two round trips across the USA, we found this car to be responsive, comfortable, and economical. In-town performance is equally as good, and parking is a breeze. The only flaw is that there is no way to turn the radio OFF; it can be muted, and this is only a problem if one tries to play an auxiliary device thru the information system. One wonders why an off switch could not be provided, especially when all other Mazda models have it!"

Test Drive the CX5 before you settle

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pros: "Gas Mileage, FUN to drive, Bose Speakers"

Cons: "Turbo Please"

"I owned a 2001 Toyota Tacoma and was hard pressed to find a replacement vehicle. My needs were to find a vehicle that was fun, comfortable, fuel efficient, stylish, spacious, and an excellent value. I have to say that this CX5 fit nearly perfect compared to other crossovers and small SUVs for the price. I got the Grand Touring with the Technology Package and am loving the amenities from the Bose speakers, bigger wheels, and moon roof. Going from a V6 to a 4 Cylinder was a challenge but the Mazda CX5 for such a small SUV does have power when I need it which is adequate for my needs. The other bonus is the gas. Going from 15mpg to an average of 31mpg on regular gas is great considering I drive 70+ miles round trip 4-5 days a week."

My Second CX-5

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Great MPG-Lots of Options-Great Price-Fun Car"

Cons: "None that I've found"

"I bought a 2013 Touring with Tech Package in Dec 2012. I traded an 04 CRV. I have 19000 miles on that car now.I have never gotten less than 29MPG in city driving. I researched small SUV's extensively before I bought the CX-5. Mazda was the only mfg offering all the options I wanted in the price line I wanted. I love the car. No complaints. We've taken it on 2 vacations 1500+ miles. Nav is great the MPG avg 34+ on the interstate. That model has the 155 hp engine but that hasn't proven to be a problem even when driving in the mountains of east TN. Just got home from the dealer. I traded my wife's 2005 Maxima for 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring with Tech Package. I have never owned two of the same model cars in my life, but buying my second CX-5 was a no brainer for us. Then 2015 has a 184hp engine and the car probably needed the additional HP. I obviously think the CX-5 is the best small SUV on the market."

Good Rental Car Experience

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Fun to drive and good acceleration."

Cons: "Underwhelmed by gas mileage and chipped paint."

"I had a 2 day out of town business trip and was given this car by the rental agency. Here are my thoughts after driving it for about 460 miles. PROS: Good acceleration and engine noise isolation in the passenger compartment. Handles road bumps well. Good interior materials and build quality. Seats are stiff, but not uncomfortable. CONS: Touch screen radio is set about 2.5" into the upper dashboard causing me to bend to reach it each time I wanted to use it. It got annoying after a while. I drove about 95% highway miles at about 70 mph with a lot of cruise control and little air conditioner use, because of cooler weather lately and averaged just under 27 mpg, calculating it at the gas pump. The trip meter was consistently pegging it in the low 30s mpg, so it was way off from actual mileage. I know this is AWD, but I was a little disappointed after seeing so many TV commercials touting this car to hit up to 35 mpg. I saw several areas with chipped paint, but no dents. I know this is a rental car, but I wonder how thin the paint is? Overall, I enjoyed it as a rental and would probably request one again."

Fun, good fuel efficiency, great value

By on Monday, April 20, 2015

Pros: "fun handling, LED lights, infotainmnt system"

Cons: "no rear vents, backseats don't recline"

"needed a comfotable, yet well-handling AWD vehicle and this CX-5 hits the sweetspot in terms of value for the price. nice looks, handling, updated interior for 2016 with better infotainment system sold it for me. "upgraded" from a 2011 Lexus, and yes, i mean upgraded in terms of features for convenience and safety. road noise is not as bad as feared (but i'm sure could be better). some minor things i wish it had: rear vents, rear seats that recline, odd cubbyhole in left dash (left of steering wheel) that serves no real purpose (could've made it into a change holder or something). But all in all, i was and still am impressed. i look forward to every drive in my new car!"

Top of the segment.

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, beautiful looks and well equipped."

Cons: "center armrest could be longer. no powerlift gate."

"After driving the Toyota Rav4 and the Honda CRV, there is no comparison with styling and performance of the CX-5.I purchased the GT model... It is by far the most fun to drive.And it looks beautiful. The Soul Red with parchment interior is awesome. Only have about 500 miles on it, so still testing MPG's."

Efficient,smart designed Mazda

By on Monday, October 8, 2012

"She's only a week old, but very happy with the cx-5. Great visibility and comfort, fun to drive. I only liked the Kia sx turbo more, but the cost & mpg made the difference. The Mazda also looks a bit nicer."

Most fun vehicle to drive.

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

"Excellent fit and finish with user friendly controls. Of all vehicles I have owned(too many to count) I give the CX5 a 10."

Great car, just not for people with short legs.

By on Friday, March 20, 2015

"I enjoy all of the features of this car except for the elongated seats. I have short legs and the middle section of the seat extends about 3 inches longer than the sides of the seat. I bought this car when I had a heavy winter clothes and coat and didn't notice until the warmer weather came. Now I have a great car with seats that don't fit me..."