2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,587 - $21,689.

Transaction data

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

10/8.2

Based on 187 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, sporty look, interior"

Cons: "none!"

"I was searching for a crossover.. coming from a Mazda 3I. I needed more space.. but didn't have the budget to afford a big SUV nor did I want the low gas mileage that the bigger SUVs offered. I looked at the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Hyundai SanteFe, Ford Explorer and the Kia Sorento. I wasn't crazy about any one them and found them to be mediocre. I didn't like that I had to buy 2-3 levels up either to get some of the options I wanted. I loved my Mazda 3 and never had any problems with it.. So I went to the Mazda dealership and test drove the 2013 CX-5. I fell in love with it immediately. It had all the features I wanted and were looking for and the gas mileage was simply unbeatable by any other manufacturer. I love the sporty look and the interior. I ended up purchasing the Touring with the Bose/sunroof package. I have never been happier with my decision and look forward to driving every day now. I would highly recommend test driving this car... I also plan on going back to purchase the Navi. Not sure why I turned it down originally but the price is decent, and I shall be going back shortly to get it installed."

The car does it all

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Pros: "Handles well in the curve"

Cons: "Motor a little noise"

"Bought the car two weeks ago and left on vacation. Did 2200 miles in eight days with 2 adults and 2 children. My wife and I are over 6 feet and the kids just behind, had plenty of room. This was one of the main reasons we bought the car. Blue tooth works great with all three phones and easy to setup. Everything is right there and easy to use. Love the blind spot indicators in side view mirrors. The CX-5 handles like a car and easy to drive. The motor is a little slow but likes to rev. On vacation got 32.6 mpg, averaged 56 mph. Driving 80mph and still was getting 30mpg. Love the CX-5."

A jaded New Yorker is truly impressed

By on Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pros: "simple yet lux interior, fun to drive, steering"

Cons: "merging onto fast highways from standstill in nyc"

"At only 3 inches longer then our old and loved 2006 mazda3 We are amazed by the comfort and ride quality and fun of the cx-5. The road noise was always an issue for me with the 3 and I think if the road noise was a 7-8 out of 10 on the 3 this would be a 3-4. The shocks are firm but you don't feel jarred. the cx-5 corners beautifully. The electronics are very good. I am never super impressed by the bose car systems .. i give this a 7 or 8 out of 10 for sound but a 9 for ease of use. The seats are so comfy and the lumbar and adjustably in the grand touring is awesome. I love this car so much that I am writing a review. My only issue is the acceleration from 0-20 mph or so.. after 2 or 3rd gear it really torques nicely but from a standstill trying to merge onto a nasty nyc highway could use a bit more power.. but honestly everything else is just amazing. we hope to have this car a long time ( or at least till the diesel comes ) ;) thanks mazda for a winner . we love you!"

Perfect for my needs. 2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pros: "MPG, handles like a sedan, simple but high tech"

Cons: "Who forgot to put a light in the rear cargo area?"

"I love my Mazda! I've worked with a car rental company and have driven pretty much all the competition. I love the interior. It's simple, clean, and high tech without a million touch buttons like the new Ford Escape. (my Dad always said, "Keep it simple, Stupid.") I get MPG in the mid 20's around town and in the low 30's on the highway. The blind spot monitors, rear view camera, and bluetooth have already been life savers. The standard sound system in the Touring has been impressive as well (I get much better sound quality through my mp3 player than the radio). The handling really is awesome. It corners like a sporty sedan. The steering feels great and there isn't any tire squeal if you have to make a fast left turn (Who doesn't go faster to make a yellow turn signal?). This SUV is silent around turns my old Corolla would be squealing through. The AWD has been surefooted in the snow as well. The inside really is bigger than it looks from the outside. I'm 6'2" and fit comfortably (but a person needs to be shorter to sit comfortably behind me). There's tons of room for cargo with the seats down. I just moved a washing machine with plenty of room to spare. I love the materials and layout but my only dislike is about the interior lighting. Who forgot to put a light in the rear cargo area? Everything else is awesome except that it can be hard to see your cargo in the dark. If you fold the seats down, the light over the middle seats is enough to see the back. That said, I love my Mazda. Its a nearly perfect machine that's perfect for my needs :)"

cx-5 great driver

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pros: "very fun to drive"

Cons: "i would get darker tint on windows next time"

"cx-5 needs more (or larger) storage compartments. electric windows do not work unless ignition is on. best mpg = 37.8 @65 miles/hour on cruise. i love the blind spot detectors and rear camera. i enjoyed driving the "twisties" here in TN."

excellent gas mileage

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage,road handlings etc"

Cons: "cup holders need better design"

"i bought my CX5 five months ago and have nothing bad to say about it, only the cup holder needs to be better designs and bigger in size.i recently drove for long road trip to montreal and then to toronto and back home, i got 31mpg,i am very pleased and satisfied owner of cx5."

Update to driver from Salt Lake City

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "Just a great car, test drive one before you decide"

"Well after 2,600 miles everything is going great. The performance is better after the 2,000 mile mark. No problems to date. The last three gas fill-ups used 33 gallons with 921 miles driven, 27.9 miles per gallon in mixed city/highway. This car is very tight and drives like a dream on the highway. I really like the blind spot monitor system and the center rear seat fold down is handy for long items. For you owners with the automatic I found that by shifting to Neutral and pressing the engine off button the radio/blue tooth says on. Then shift into park and you can finish the phone call or radio until you exit. Just push the engine run button twice to completely turn off the car. Added body side molding that is paint color matched, ordered from web site for $125 and installed myself, very easy to do. Also if you deal on this car, get dealer to throw in winter floor mats and rear cargo mat to close deal. Well worth the money."

Car and Driver operating as one unit

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Smooth shift, great takeoff, comfort."

Cons: "no all around camera"

"This SUV/CUV feels amazing in the handling. In the business I am in I can drive whatever I want, And the way this SUV handles and accelerates is nothing shy of AMAZING! I couldnt believe this was a 4 cylinder.. upon some research I found that SKYACTIV engines are the secret to this unique performance. the car apparently runs at a 13:1 combustion ration which is the same ratio as a race car, no honda or toyota comes anywhere close. As kids we used to put headers on our cars and alter the engine to make them faster, NO need here because it already has one.. I am in sheer amazement at how this car drives and handles. CRV was nice but I will not be going back to the CRV with its confused feeling CVT transmission."

Looks good, drives better and highly useful!!

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Great value for price, fun to drive, looks great"

Cons: "Nothing significant"

"Bottom Line Up Front: I bought my 2014 Soul Red Metallic Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring at the end of May and couldn't be happier with it! It looks great, drives wonderfully and is exceeding the advertised MPG ratings. Why did I buy this car? My family moved to South Dakota this past December and didn't own a car with AWD. Our cars were FWD and had always done fine in snow...on relatively level ground. However, our new house is at the top of a hill. After getting stuck in the snow and having to walk up the hill to the house one too many times, we decided to pursue a car with AWD before next winter. Much research and test driving ensued. We looked at the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Subaru Outback and Forester as well as the Mazda CX-5. Test drove them all multiple times before settling on the Mazda. Comparing the safety ratings, fuel economy, cargo capacity, etc. the cars all come out fairly similarly. In my opinion, the main differentials were looks and driving style. The CX-5 has the sleekest lines in its class and is far and away the most fun of the cars we tested to drive. It felt much more nimble and agile than the others and now it's in my garage. Mazda advertises 24 MPG city and 30 MPG highway for the AWD CX-5 with the bigger engine. I've yet to drive a full tank of gas on just a road trip, but I'm averaging 28-29.5 MPG combined driving around town and small stints on the interstate over the past six weeks. So, I'm very pleased with those results. The mileage definitely decreases going uphill, more than I would've thought. But, what goes up must come down, and this balances out with elevation changes on a round trip. Also, the owner's manual states that the MPG will really start to decrease over 60 MPH. So far, though, it seems to me like the point where the mileage really starts to drop is over 70 MPH. On level ground at 70 MPH I'm still getting 30+ MPG, but it goes down as the speed/RPMs increase above 70 MPH. Interior-wise, the car is very comfortable. The leather breathes well and doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer heat (at least so far) as I thought it might. The only competitor vehicle that I thought had a slightly better ergonomically laid out cockpit/better use of interior space was the Honda CR-V, but the CX-5 was a very close second. All the controls are easy to reach and operate, space is well-utilized and the instruments are easy to read. The black interior does show dirt fairly easily, but it also cleans up quite easily as well with minimal effort. In summary, if you are in the market for a small SUV, then I highly recommend the Mazda CX-5. It has great safety ratings, has fuel economy ratings at the top of the class (and is exceeding them so far in my experience), is comfortable and fun to drive and looks great. Buy with confidence!!"

Great car, value, gas mileage and fun to drive

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and sharp looking car"

Cons: "The 2.0 engine does not have zoom zoom hoped for"

"I was one of the first to buy this Grand Touring and had been waiting for it and we have liked it very much. I do mostly city driving where we have stop lights every mile so we only get about 21 mpg, which is good but less than expected. We got 30 to 32 mpg on the couple of longer trips we took with the car loaded. I know if we had regular city driving it would be more about 24 mpg. One thing I would have changed is to get the bigger engine. The 2.0 that came with the first cars is underpowered almost dangerous when pulling out into traffic, especially with 4 or 5 people inside. The zoom zoom is not there. I would buy it again but with the bigger engine. It is roomy for what we need and have gotten used to the side view mirror telling us if there is a car next to us. Have had no problems in the 2 years and 26,500 miles and only complaint is the underpowered engine."