2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,587 - $21,689.

Transaction data

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

10/8.2

Based on 187 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

cx-5 great driver

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pros: "very fun to drive"

Cons: "i would get darker tint on windows next time"

"cx-5 needs more (or larger) storage compartments. electric windows do not work unless ignition is on. best mpg = 37.8 @65 miles/hour on cruise. i love the blind spot detectors and rear camera. i enjoyed driving the "twisties" here in TN."

excellent gas mileage

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage,road handlings etc"

Cons: "cup holders need better design"

"i bought my CX5 five months ago and have nothing bad to say about it, only the cup holder needs to be better designs and bigger in size.i recently drove for long road trip to montreal and then to toronto and back home, i got 31mpg,i am very pleased and satisfied owner of cx5."

Update to driver from Salt Lake City

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "Just a great car, test drive one before you decide"

"Well after 2,600 miles everything is going great. The performance is better after the 2,000 mile mark. No problems to date. The last three gas fill-ups used 33 gallons with 921 miles driven, 27.9 miles per gallon in mixed city/highway. This car is very tight and drives like a dream on the highway. I really like the blind spot monitor system and the center rear seat fold down is handy for long items. For you owners with the automatic I found that by shifting to Neutral and pressing the engine off button the radio/blue tooth says on. Then shift into park and you can finish the phone call or radio until you exit. Just push the engine run button twice to completely turn off the car. Added body side molding that is paint color matched, ordered from web site for $125 and installed myself, very easy to do. Also if you deal on this car, get dealer to throw in winter floor mats and rear cargo mat to close deal. Well worth the money."

Car and Driver operating as one unit

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Smooth shift, great takeoff, comfort."

Cons: "no all around camera"

"This SUV/CUV feels amazing in the handling. In the business I am in I can drive whatever I want, And the way this SUV handles and accelerates is nothing shy of AMAZING! I couldnt believe this was a 4 cylinder.. upon some research I found that SKYACTIV engines are the secret to this unique performance. the car apparently runs at a 13:1 combustion ration which is the same ratio as a race car, no honda or toyota comes anywhere close. As kids we used to put headers on our cars and alter the engine to make them faster, NO need here because it already has one.. I am in sheer amazement at how this car drives and handles. CRV was nice but I will not be going back to the CRV with its confused feeling CVT transmission."

Looks good, drives better and highly useful!!

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Great value for price, fun to drive, looks great"

Cons: "Nothing significant"

"Bottom Line Up Front: I bought my 2014 Soul Red Metallic Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring at the end of May and couldn't be happier with it! It looks great, drives wonderfully and is exceeding the advertised MPG ratings. Why did I buy this car? My family moved to South Dakota this past December and didn't own a car with AWD. Our cars were FWD and had always done fine in snow...on relatively level ground. However, our new house is at the top of a hill. After getting stuck in the snow and having to walk up the hill to the house one too many times, we decided to pursue a car with AWD before next winter. Much research and test driving ensued. We looked at the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Subaru Outback and Forester as well as the Mazda CX-5. Test drove them all multiple times before settling on the Mazda. Comparing the safety ratings, fuel economy, cargo capacity, etc. the cars all come out fairly similarly. In my opinion, the main differentials were looks and driving style. The CX-5 has the sleekest lines in its class and is far and away the most fun of the cars we tested to drive. It felt much more nimble and agile than the others and now it's in my garage. Mazda advertises 24 MPG city and 30 MPG highway for the AWD CX-5 with the bigger engine. I've yet to drive a full tank of gas on just a road trip, but I'm averaging 28-29.5 MPG combined driving around town and small stints on the interstate over the past six weeks. So, I'm very pleased with those results. The mileage definitely decreases going uphill, more than I would've thought. But, what goes up must come down, and this balances out with elevation changes on a round trip. Also, the owner's manual states that the MPG will really start to decrease over 60 MPH. So far, though, it seems to me like the point where the mileage really starts to drop is over 70 MPH. On level ground at 70 MPH I'm still getting 30+ MPG, but it goes down as the speed/RPMs increase above 70 MPH. Interior-wise, the car is very comfortable. The leather breathes well and doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer heat (at least so far) as I thought it might. The only competitor vehicle that I thought had a slightly better ergonomically laid out cockpit/better use of interior space was the Honda CR-V, but the CX-5 was a very close second. All the controls are easy to reach and operate, space is well-utilized and the instruments are easy to read. The black interior does show dirt fairly easily, but it also cleans up quite easily as well with minimal effort. In summary, if you are in the market for a small SUV, then I highly recommend the Mazda CX-5. It has great safety ratings, has fuel economy ratings at the top of the class (and is exceeding them so far in my experience), is comfortable and fun to drive and looks great. Buy with confidence!!"

Great car, value, gas mileage and fun to drive

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and sharp looking car"

Cons: "The 2.0 engine does not have zoom zoom hoped for"

"I was one of the first to buy this Grand Touring and had been waiting for it and we have liked it very much. I do mostly city driving where we have stop lights every mile so we only get about 21 mpg, which is good but less than expected. We got 30 to 32 mpg on the couple of longer trips we took with the car loaded. I know if we had regular city driving it would be more about 24 mpg. One thing I would have changed is to get the bigger engine. The 2.0 that came with the first cars is underpowered almost dangerous when pulling out into traffic, especially with 4 or 5 people inside. The zoom zoom is not there. I would buy it again but with the bigger engine. It is roomy for what we need and have gotten used to the side view mirror telling us if there is a car next to us. Have had no problems in the 2 years and 26,500 miles and only complaint is the underpowered engine."

Great Ride, good gas mileage!

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, nice ground clearance"

Cons: "No leather in the Touring model"

"I recently bought a 2014 Mazda CX5 Touring after completing a ton research on small SUVs. So far the car gets better mileage than the sticker says, it has plenty of power and the ride is very nice. I know I am going to like the 8.5 inches of ground clearance as I live in snow country! The only thing I wish Mazda would do is to give you the option of leather in the Touring model. I did not want the Grand Touring as it has more bells and whistles than I need and I did not want the large low-profile tires. This is my 3rd new Mazda since 1999. I have owned a 626, a Mazda3 and now the CX5. The two previous ones were passed down to my kids. I think Mazda has some of the best cars out there-the styling, drive, and reliability far out pace some of the other popular foreign cars!"

Excellent Choice!

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Great Overall Handling, zippy power, fun to own"

Cons: "Awkward getting into armrest, small center console"

"Bought the car in late January (in the heart of the NE winter). Was looking for a fitting replacement for my 2008 Toyo Camry but with better gas mileage and better traction. Found it in my 2014 Touring model. Still too young to tell, but I am averaging 26-28 MPG combined (same as my Camry) but with AWD it is more than acceptable. Seating is very comfy. I have back problems and the lumbar support really helps and the seats make you sit up straight. I am 6'2" (but slender) and find it more than roomy enough in the front and back seats. It has been great so far in this winter that won't end... It has a great ride (great in the snow, too), sporty and receptive handling and is a real pleasure to drive. It has plenty of zip for me with the 2.5 liter. I work right off the highway and have to merge with traffic quickly - a breeze with this car. My friends also love the sporty looks as do I. Sitting higher up than in the Camry gives you better vision, as well as the use of the back-up camera, which has virtual lines to help you back into a parking space with ease. Center console is a little tight with not much storage space and it is a little awkward if you have to get something out of the armrest storage. LCD screen is a little small but the touch functions are receptive. Center dashboard vents are right under the LCD and I sometimes hit them when reaching for other things, have to constantly fix them. Other than those small items, I love it and would recommend it to others looking for great things in small packages."

Very comfortablen and fun to drive

By on Monday, December 23, 2013

"Read many reviews and looked at a number of vehicles. Was torn between another sedan and an SUV. Wanted the storage space of SUV and sitting higher. Appearance is great. Like the styling of the front end, wheels, and rear is ok. Interior is very nice. Dashboard is well laid out with controls located conveniently. Dashboard material is plush and appointments are nice. Even like the cloth seats which in most vehicles I don't like. Rear seat is smaller than some but I knew that up front. Would be ideal to have a bit more leg room in back. Front seat comfort, leg roon, and height is great. Transmission shifts very smooth. Acceleration is great; even in hilly areas. Cruise control is smooth. Wish it had automatic headlights. Radio controls and bluetooth works well. Music streams wirelessly. HD radio sound is noticeably better than standard radio. The speakers don't seem to have as much high end clarity as I would have expected but are suitable. Seating position is great. Higher than a sedan but lower than a large truck. Getting in and out of the vehicle is easy. I compared to a Toyota Tundra and getting in and out was a chore. MPG avearage is 29.5. I traded a G35 for this vehicle and was concerned I was stepping down. No worries; it is very comfortable and fun to drive and I do not notice any loss of acceleration. Would definitely buy again."

Good looking and great gas mileage. Fun to drive!

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Technology. Blind spot monitoring is great!"

Cons: "Front seats could be slightly bigger."

"I have owned the CX-5 since April, 2013 and it has been all they said it would be. Good gas mileage. Love the shifter, and the blind spot monitor. Saved me a couple times when changing lanes. Nice features that are easy to used."

I really like my CX-5!

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"I have had it for a year now and I have no complaints. My previous vehicle was a van, so I was used to a lot of room. In the back seat of the CX-5 there is not a lot of room. I have two children and one is still in a car seat. If you have three people in the back it is pretty tight. I would recommend this vehicle to a smaller family. Also, the back has a good amount of cargo space. Even though it is a 4-cyl it still has enough power for me. I get almost 30 mpg. I do a lot of stop and go travel. I definitely would recommend the CX-5."

Love it so far!

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles nicely, roomy for this size"

Cons: "Interior shows dirt terribly, not all that plush"

"I purchased the 2014 Touring, I went to purchase a 2013 Sport, but when I arrived at the dealership I was given some bizzare explanation about how they couldn't sell the 2013 because their incentives from Mazda were about to run out....it felt a little like a bait & switch, but I really liked the vehicle. I've got less than 500 miles but I'm averaging 28 plus MPG back and forth to work-Shenandoah Valley of VA, so will get to really test out the AWD in the winter. It is tons of fun to drive, I went from an 11 year old V-6 Jeep Liberty to this, so there is a ton of difference. While I was used to more power, the CX-5 is peppy enough and the gas mileage really does make up for it. I didn't think I'd ever use the bluetooth since I'm not very tech oriented, but I have set it up and used it a few times so it might come in handy. The backup camera is nice for parking in tight spaces but you can get almost to that point if you know how to drive with your mirrors anyway. I feel like I got a fair price on what I purchased and if it lasts me 10 years without any major issues, I will be pleased."

Totally Impressed Grand Touring FWD

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

"The more I drive it, the more I love it. A smooth ride, quiet, dashboard layout awesome, electronic console easy to use, comfortable front seats, enough space in the back with the seats down for two labrador retrievers, very stylish. I have other drivers on the interstate following and looking, people stop me in the parking lot to ask about the car. Great car!!"

Road Noise

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Fuel Economy, it is a great driving small SUV"

Cons: "Road noise, road noise, hood shakes"

"There is a great deal of road noise on this vehicle at highway speeds, particularly with concrete pavement (Interstates). In April I test drove the CX 5 and 4 other comparable SUVs, all the others (little to no road noise) were driven on the Interstate (dealers in the area) the only one not driven on the Interstate was the Mazda, my fault. The noise appears to be coming out of the rear wheel well area. I spend quite a bit of time on the Interstates for my job and the noise is constant. Friends say "just turn up the radio", but that’s not a solution. Both Consumer Reports and Popular Mechanics magazines have made it a point in their reviews to mention the "noise issue", wish I had read them first. The decision to purchase was based on my need to improve fuel economy, the looks and how the vehicle physically drove. (all of these are great) But I have regretted my purchase since the 1st road trip. Either a financial loss is taken by trading / selling it or I do something about it. So I have driven with the local dealer's lead Mazda mechanic, who said that it does appear that the noise is coming from the wheel wells and that the noise is acceptable, but referred me to the Service Manager. The Service Manager and the Mazda Regional Manager drove it and it was reported back to me by the Service Manager that the Regional said that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and that was it. The SM said he would contact the Sales Dept to see if they would cover an undercoating for the wheel wells. Still waiting….. to hear back. If I don’t hear back then I will pay for something to lessen the “noise”. Of my last 5 vehicle purchases the CX 5 is the only one to have this issue."

gas milage not even close to projected

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

"I got the 2014 Mazda CX-5 grand touring with the tech package.They say the gas mileage is 26-35, but in reality I get about 21-22 mpg which is pretty disappointing. I have skidded a couple times in this car but I don't have all wheel drive I have front wheel. I would definetly say the tech package is worth it. The headlights are really good and the automatic breaks in traffic is a total lifesaver. Love it. The bluetooth though isn't awesome. I have the Iphone 5s and the car can't get my text messages and bluetooth messes up way too often. Also the car has come apart a little on the inside which isn't good since I have only had it for 7 months. I live in austin but drove up to san antonio to get my car because it was 80$ cheaper a month. Crazy! I love how this car has get up and go! Looking back though, I don't think I would have went with this car if I knew everything I did now. For the price though it is probably one of the best in its class."

My new spaceship!!

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, technology, city gas mileage"

Cons: "Boise stereo a bit weak; black interior"

"Love this car!! First new, new car in over 20 years and WOW how technology has changed!! Took me at least a month to get use to and enjoy all of the features. My favorite features are the blind-spot monitoring and back-up camera!! Oh and the headlights - how they hug the road and turn as you turn. Love to drive at night just to watch them!! The SkyActive on this vehicle is amazing particularly how it makes a 4 cylinder car drive like a 6 cylinder. I have Never owned a 4C before and was hesitant, but no hesitation here!! Gets up and goes with the best of them - well maybe not the sports cars - LOL! City gas mileage has been great at 28.5 but not as happy with the highway mileage at just 30 but driving habits come into play here. It is a comfortable car - 5 is a tight fit but possible depending on size of passengers. My husband fits well at 6'2 and 250 which was surprising - but he is comfortable."

Zoom, Zoom, Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"I drive around 35k per year, all types of weather and this vehicle has been great so far. I’m coming from driving and f-150 for about 100k before the transmission went out, and before that came from a family that would only drive Honda and Acura. With that being said, this is the best car I’ve owned. I love the way it drives, especially with the electronic steering. My wife drives a new Honda Odyssey and I never realized how loose the steering was on the Honda until I went back and forth between the CX-5. Like I said, this is a great vehicle and when the lease is up on the Honda we are going to look at another Mazda."

Excellent gas mileage and driving experience!

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and great gas mileage"

Cons: "none so far"

"Really surprised with city gas mileage. I primarily use this SUV for daily office commute which is about two miles (round trip). For this kind distance I am getting close to 26+ mpg city (with my 2005 accord I was getting only about 18-19 mpg). The City+highway average is comes to about 28 mpg (I didn't travel much on highways). Moreover it is easy to maneuver and fun to drive. Really happy to own this vehicle."

Very well designed,excellent city/ highway avg mpg

By on Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, outstanding design, suberb mpg"

Cons: "No option for automatic lift hatch"

"I have owned this Mazda CX 5 for about 3 months and have been very impressed with the overall quality and outstanding driving characteristics. The CX 5 handles and feels very nimble, much like a sports car. I do a lot of in town and highway driving and this CX 5 averages almost 31 mpg. This is a very high average for non-hybrid models. On long highway trips I often get 34-35 mpg with an automatic transmission. This is a great, roomy, versatile crossover that gently sips fuel."

Excellent

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "Driving dynamics, overall design, fuel economy"

Cons: "No cons for me"

"I've owned the CX-5 for over a month and 1,100 miles and while that's only a short period of time it's really been excellent across all areas. I wanted more utility than my Mazda6 but didn't want to sacrifice driving dynamics and fuel economy and I couldn't be happier with the CX-5. It has the safety and convenience features I wanted at a reasonable price along with a decent styling inside and out. I enjoy driving the CX-5 and am more impressed the more I drive it."

I absolutely love my CX-5!!!

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "comfort, technology, cargo space and funn to drive"

"I got to say I usually don't write reviews on things Iowned but i have to make an exception when it comes to my new CX-5. I was in te fence anbout buying this car because of the 2.0L engine and was worry about acceleration when entering the interstate like i did when i owned a corolla with a 1.8L engine that used to hit high RPMs and I hated that, but I have to say that Mazda did a great job here. I drive my CX-5 7 days a week and I get fantastic MPG!. I drove it down to the beach about 8hrs from here to NYC and to Columbus Ohio. Over all i love this thing and i will like to get another one. I would highly recommend the Bluetooth package with the rearview camera."

Great car - with two issues

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, attractive, roomy"

Cons: "Underpowered, headrests not designed for women"

"This is my third Mazda and I LOVE IT! It's comfortable to drive, handles very well and gets great gas mileage for an SUV. It's an attractive vehicle inside and out and the dog loves riding in the back! I do have two issues with it though. It's underpowered. Not by a whole lot, but when you're used to driving a manual, small car - it's an adjustment. I had an intake installed and the power boost is great. Also, the head rest clearly wasn't designed for a woman. By that I mean, it's uncomfortable to wear my hair up and sit in the car. I've tried adjusting it every which way. I think I finally have it right - I tilt the seat back ever so slightly when I have my hair up. I know it's silly, but you have to live with a car choice for a long time and ladies need the facts."

Really love it!

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, nice car for the money"

Cons: "not much cup holder space in front"

"I have owned this car for a year now. I absolutely love it!!! It handles great, has really good gas mileage and is a lot of fun to drive. It has plenty of space for myself and my family. I would highly recommend the larger engine as it seems to have a lot more pick up."

Have been very pleased so far with our CX 5 GT

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Gas Mileage Head turing good looks fun to drive"

Cons: "Bigger map pockets Wind noise"

"Our LZZ "Little Zoom Zoom" has been a joy to own and drive. Great gas mileage very spirited performance and handeling. Yes the ride is a little jumpy at times,the map pockets are a little small. I suspect Mazda will take many of these suggestions from owners and make some changes on future models....Dear Mazda: Paddle shifters would be fun!!! We love our "LZZ""

Bought the Grand touring two weeks ago.

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, quality construction,plenty of power"

"I bought my first Mazda in 2008. That was a Miata Grand Touring. I loved that car, but after moving back to Salt Lake city from Phoenix, I realized that I needed all-wheel drive. The Miata was not fun in heavy snow! I test drove CR-V's, Foresters, Escapes, a sportage and a bunch of others but the best out of all of them is the 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring with the 2.5 engine. This drives more like my Miata did then like a crossover! This is the best handling and most comfortable crossover that I have driven.I have the power sunroof, so it's "almost" like my MX-5 ...Mazda did so well with this one that I cannot think of anything else that I would want to add to it! This CX-5 rocks!"