2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,601 - $21,695.

Transaction data

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

10/8.2

Based on 186 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Amazing SUV

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, amazing mpg and impressive styling!!"

"I bought my Grand Touring CX-5 towards the end of March and have roughly 5,000 miles already. It never fails, my mpg is always 31-32 mpg!! I drive 70 miles round trip through Dallas traffic daily and I can't believe the gas mileage! I was used to driving a cavalier for 7 years so I thought the transition to an SUV would take a bit to get used to. Let me tell you, this SUV drives amazing and rides just like a car. I am in LOVE with everything about this car. The backup camera is awesome, plus there are blind spot monitors on the side mirrors which light up if somebody is in your blind spot and beep at you if you put your blinker on. The radio is HD and the Bose speakers sound amazing! If you are thinking about purchasing this car, go test drive it and your mind will be made up! LOVE IT!"

Very good

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Grips road great, nothing cheap, reliable so far"

Cons: "Not enough pickup (but great gas mileage makes up)"

"Have had this car for 7 months and glad to have purchased. Fun to drive, no problems so far! WILL UPDATE! Since 15,000 doesn't say much about reliability I will be checking back in!"

13' CX-5

By on Friday, September 07, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage , air conditioning, zoom-zoom"

Cons: "Tom Tom navigation system a bit primitive to use."

"What an awesome little SUV. just got done taking my new CX-5 on a road trip up to Northern Arizona with my wife and two boys (pre teens). Got up the Mtn roads with ease. Auto wipers worked great! Suv hugged the road gracefully. Got an avg of 31 mpg after only having vehicle a week. Got the touring model with electronics & nav pkg. dials easy to use. Plenty of room and having three power outlets came in handy to power up the IPods/IPhones & Nintendo DS's. The A/C works great! Cools down quickly and blows enough to easily cool the rear seat passengers quickly. Traded in my Mazda 3 (2008) which I truly loved also but with two boys needed more room for all of us. Plus bottom line, it's fun to drive!"

Drive it to believe it

By on Friday, April 06, 2012

Pros: "Incredibly awesome to drive"

Cons: "No light in glove box. No analog temp gauge"

"I started many months ago looking into a vehicle purchase. I wanted a vehicle that was a car like with good handling, four wheel drive, and storage capability. I did not want a station wagon. I believe the many smaller listed SUVs are really station wagons. I drove many of the highly reviewed mini SUVs. However, when driving these units they seemed truck like. I then test drove the Mazda CX-5. I was really blown away by the driving experience. Here was a SUV that handled like a sporty car. I was able to easily make turns and had a live feel I of the road. The appearance of the CX 5 is spot on with its definitive lines. I especially like how the rear looks with its integrated tail lights. The seats are really comfortable and provide excellent support. The Bose sound system really rocks with its surround sound technology. The 19 inch tires are another cool touch….look awesome. I simply say if you are in the market for a small SUV drive this puppy and you will not let it go. I bought this bad-boy and its been a heck of great ride so far. Mazda put a lot of thought into every part of this car and they looked at it from the driver’s view out and not the engineers view in. Drive safe out there"

Almost Perfect - If it Matches Your Criteria.

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "It drives most like my new BMW 2002."

Cons: "iPod / USB interface doesn't work well."

"The 2014 Mazda CX-5 is the absolute perfect car – if your criteria is: 1) Drives like a small BMW sedan, 2) Carries camping gear, bikes and kayaks down bad dirt roads to your favorite primitive campground. For a compact cross-over SUV it is high on utility and it is the first SUV where the S truly does mean sports car-like. However, it is not the perfect car if your criteria includes: 1) Tomb-quiet interior under all road conditions and speeds, 2) Zero intrusion of road-feel of any kind through the brakes, steering or suspension or 3) Extended off-road terrain crawling. Despite high ground clearance, fairly high seating position and a tall SUV body, it corners fast with no discernible body lean. At any semi-sane speed it is quiet inside, the only noise being a low level wind-woooosh from the mirrors. The ride is very compliant and sports sedan-like over marginal surfaces. The steering is very precise - both light at parking speed and well weighted for feedback at higher speeds. The suspension allows for full power acceleration and cornering over broken and undulating surfaces with no drama. Brake modulation is linear with little pedal travel and no unexpected grab as you approach full foot pressure. The engine produces good torque from about 2200 rpm. This minimizes downshifting of the (extremely smooth) 6 speed automatic when accelerating after a traffic slow-down, or when going uphill with additional people or gear on-board. It also pulls quite strongly to over 5000 rpm – great for 40-70 mph passing. Acceleration is responsive enough to put a smile on your face coming out of a twisty turn in 3rd gear. Rapid fully manual up-shifting and down-shifting is easy with the lever pulled over into the manual shift gate next to your right thigh. Even in manual mode, stomping the gas produces an instant kick-down to the lowest useable gear. In automatic mode the optimum gear is selected immediately, even downshifting when approaching a stop or when going downhill. When driven with a light foot in automatic mode it shifts up early to maximize gas mileage. Fast and responsive in manual mode and easy and efficient in automatic – perfect. The exterior styling is sleek, muscular and emotive without being overdone. The interior is elegant rather than flashy, even a bit austere – like an Italian suit. Small buttons and virtual buttons on touch screens are minimized in favor of rotating knobs and push switches that provide tactile feedback and can be found and operated without taking your eyes off the road. An excellent balance of function vs. fashion. The wide use of soft-touch materials adds to the impression of quality. The seats are initially firm, but feel comfortable and supportive even after several hours on the road. Substantial side bolsters keep you in place during spirited cornering. Rear seating and leg/foot room is spacious for 2 adults, but “cozy” for 3 adults. The driver’s seat adjusts for height, tilt and lumbar support. When combined with the tilt and telescoping steering, drivers of all sizes should find a perfect position. The 3 individually folding 40-20-40 seat backs will accommodate a mountain bike with the front wheel still attached, or 2 adults in the rear seats plus long items like skis or 2X4s. Mine is a Grand Touring All Wheel Drive with Tech Package. It includes a Bose stereo, sunroof, back-up camera, Xenon High Intensity headlights (that steer with the front wheels and self-level as people and gear are added), leather seats, Bluetooth, a Tom-Tom nav system plus blind spot monitoring and low speed collision avoidance. It has the highest EPA gas mileage results among the 20+ compact SUV models. And according to owner reviews it regularly returns better highway mileage than the EPA figure. My cumulative average mileage for 3000 miles of mountain roads and highways is 27 mpg. Best mileage was 29.8 mpg on a 600 mile trip that took me from sea level to 9500 ft (3 times) in the Sierra Nevada. Currently Consumer Reports predicts that long term reliability will be above average."

Can't beat it!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Styling, interior quality/layout, MPG, handling"

Cons: "Would like touch-handle entry, lumbar adjustment."

"I have had the gray AWD Touring model CX5 for 2 months and driven in 7 snow storms already! Traded in an '09 Mazda6, which I loved, due to longer commute in Utah winters and a steep driveway the 6 couldn't get up in snow. After test driving the Subaru Crosstrek and Kia Sportage, chose the CX5 because of its eye-catching sportier styling, high-quality interior finishes, and how it handles on the road. The interiors of the other two I drove felt cheap in comparison, and the Crosstrek was much nosier on accelaration, and more sluggish. I love the CX5 so far! I average 31mpg on a 60 mile commute at 65mph. I have absolutely no problem getting through heavy snow, even on steep inclines. I traded in 272 hp for this, as well as the luxury features (leather, rain-sensing wipers, touch-handle entry). But the trade off was worth it because I feel safer in the bad weather, and I prefer the size of the CX5 better. For the hp, it accelerates just fine to highway speeds, has fantastic braking, and handles the road wonderfully. I didn't want to pay 4K more for the Grand Touring because I preferred cloth, and you still get plenty for the money. There are automatic daytime running lights (just not the full set of headlights).I have no issue with blind spots and rely soley on the side-view mirrors and BSM system for excellent view of the other lanes. I watched plenty of YouTube videos and read as many critic and consumer reviews as I could find, which helped with my decision. I added black (with silver accent) rims and love it!"

JUST DRIVE ONE ALREADY

By on Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Pros: "radio bose, fun, quiet, everything really"

Cons: "nothing"

"Just drive one. I drove the Honda CRV both the wife and I felt like when you were driving it you shimmied in the seat. Soft suspension. Drove the Escape with 1.6l eco boost. was not impressed with drive and feel. I really think they missed the mark with the front end styling on the Escape. Then drove the mazda. comfortable, quiet, great handling and good looks. went back and drove the others the same day back to back. (the dealers were all within a 1/2 mile) just wanted to make sure. We went back and bought the Mazda cx-5 that day. Just drive one, you'll see."

Great car

By on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pros: "Best MPG for an AWD model"

Cons: "Not the quickest"

"Bought the Touring Awd model after looking at the Jeep Liberty, Chevy Equinox and the Outback. I narrowed my choice down to the CX-5 and the Outback, they both had good MPG numbers and I felt they both would hold their value and be above average for reliability. I went with the Mazda for a few reasons one it was a few thousand less than the Outback and I have a 2007 Mazda 6 with 105,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems over the last 5 years. I made the right choice the car is great to drive and so far my mileage has been about 30 combined. The only problem I have is it's so new not a lot of aftermarket accessories are available such as a trailer hitch. I' ve ordered it from 2 different manufactures both times being told it would ship only to find out they were manf back ordered. A few things to take note of both I found out after I bought the car, it uses a synthetic oil pushing the recommended oil change to 7,500 miles which is good as the oil is 9.00 a quart. Then if you need to replace the key you are looking at 250.00 tax for a new key. I needed a third key as we had a remote start installed and they needed the key for the installation. The dealer charged me a 145.00 for the fob 49.00 for the metal key and 55.00 to program it. I contacted my local locksmiths and a few online listings only to be told they had no listing for a 2013."

Zoom Zoom!

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros: "Great price for value, features, mpg, and FUN!"

Cons: "Bigger cup holders and dedicated 4WD. No big deal!"

"Absolutely love my CX-5. The only things I wish it had was a little more horsepower when accelerating, especially when hauling my trailer, and I wish it had a different 4 wheel drive where you can actually put it into dedicated 4 WD Hi and Low settings. Is it a deal breaker, absolutely not! The rest of the things I can say are it gets fantastic gas mileage! The worst mileage I had was 24.2mpg in the winter when the whole week was below zero (I live in Minnesota) and I remote started it and let it run for almost 10 minutes before I would drive it. The best was 33.1 this fall when I took it on the highway for a week of training, where every day I drove 50 miles away, all highway driving. Amazing! The blind spot indicator is fantastic! I didn't even care when the salesman talked about the feature initially but now I am sold. Seats were a little stiff to begin with but are getting more comfortable as they break in. Absolutely love the headlights that turn when the car goes into a turn! The car is incredibly quiet until you get up to very high highway speeds and that is to be expected. My wife is jealous and now wants to trade in her older honda, I won't let her drive the CX-5 I'm afraid she will steal it every day and leave me with the accord, which by the way gets poorer gas mileage! First Mazda I've ever owned and I've had Chevy, Ford, Jeep, Audi, Toyota and Nissan products before. In addition to all the aforementioned car companies I did my research with their product line as well as Hyundai; Kia; Honda; Subaru; and VW. The Mazda was by far the best in almost every category and was real close when another company was rated better in my book. Overall value is fantastic, at least so far we'll have to see how it does in the long haul. Using the synthetic oil should help in that regard too! Great vehicle!!!!!"

Great car- very good MPG!

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "Great pricing compared to comparable vehicles."

Cons: "Needs larger diameter cup holders"

"Traded in our '06 Prius for a CX-5. Lost 14 MPG in the trade, but gained so much more - much less road noise,much more comfort, fun to drive, better handling, blind-spot warning,much better ground clearance, really a good looking vehicle, much better sound system,bluetooth. Recommend this vehicle highly. MPG since driving it off lot is 30.2 on about 50/50 highway and city driving. Plenty of power when asked for."