2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,601 - $21,695.

Transaction data

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

10/8.2

Based on 186 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Nice and Nimble Vehicle

By on Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Pros: "Road handling, navigation/audio system, and more"

Cons: "Needs more leg room on the backseat."

"I bought the 2016 CX-5 GT version with all options it can have (4 miles on it). After driving a little over hundred miles, I must say, this vehicle is great. Although it lacks power compare to my V-6 SUV, IMHO, it handles itself on the road really well, especially on cornering, passing, and stopping, it's pretty stable. Body configuration is nice. I learned from other websites that Mazda worked on decreasing wind noise, but I believed there's room for improvement in this area. Tire rims very appealing, Navigation system's easy to operate with its 7" interactive screen, audio system's sounds great with the 9-speaker Bose system. Kids under 5 feet can sit comfortably on the back seats, but a little tight for a full grown adult."

Really enjoying it

By on Monday, October 26, 2015

Pros: "comfort, mpg, fun to drive"

Cons: "right side blind spot"

"As that guy who never wanted an SUV and only had bad things to say about them, i am surprised and pleased how much I'm enjoying the CX-5. When you suddenly have 2 kids and live in a high mountain town in a poor country with bad roads, an SUV starts to make more sense. Coming from a small sporty hatchback, the CX-5 is easy and fun to drive, not truck like, not a gas hog, roomy, and looks great. So far only 1 complaint and 1 concern: complaint - the lane change view over your right shoulder is pretty bad, big blind spot there although the right side mirror is quite good; concern - the manual trans is good but sometimes it feels like the gearbox might be headed for trouble, there's just something there in the way it enters the gear slot that feels like its not as clean as it should be brand new. other than that all positive, i would easily recommend it."

love love this car

By on Monday, December 21, 2015

Pros: "drives smooth, good gas mileage"

Cons: "brakes sometimes can be not sensitive"

"I absolutely love this car. It drives like a sedan, extremely smooth and was torn between the CR-V and this car rated the top in its class and I haven't had any problems with it, although only had it for about a year but I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I had a sedan before this and now I absolutely love this car, would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a small crossover."

Excellent Excellent Automobile

By on Saturday, January 09, 2016

Pros: "# os airbags-backup camera-blind spot mirror"

Cons: "I have no cons"

"Excellent Small SUV...Can find nothing negative to report...but then I have only 3590 miles on it in 7 months ownership"

So Far, So Good!

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "Value for the money, fun to drive, good mileage"

Cons: "Rearward visiblity"

"I knew I wanted to replace my 2011 Mini Cooper with an SUV. I did a lot of shopping/test driving of small SUVs, and eventually came to the conclusion that the CX-5 was the best value for the $$$. I bought a fully loaded AWD GT Tech package version. I bought the Mazda because it is not as common as the RAV4, CRV, Escape & Equinox. I felt that it handled better, looked better, and was overall more fun to drive. My mileage is spot on as to what the EPA estimates are. Also, the AWD system is top notch. It was put to good use over the tough winter of 2014."

Great Car & and outstanding value

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

"I researched small suv’s for about 18 months before I made a purchase. I wanted to wait until all the 2013 models were out before making my final decision. I had a laundry list of amenities and technology that the car I purchased had to have. I also had a budget and wanted to stay under $30,000 on the list price. One of my must have options was the blind spot warning system. Relatively few manufactures offer this on anything other than their luxury level cars. I’ve been driving a CRV for the last nine years. Honda makes a good vehicle so a new CRV was on my list of potential new cars along with the 2013 Ford Escape, Rav4, Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester. I also looked at KIA and Hyundai but they didn’t have all the options I wanted either I test drove all of them except the 2013 Rav4. The 2013 CRV didn’t offer the options I wanted and neither did the Subaru. The Escape had everything I wanted but listed for $33,000 and the RAV4 had a similar sticker price. The only car I found that offered all the options I wanted was the Mazda CX-5 and it listed for $27505.00 I have been very happy with my purchase. I’m averaging 29.2 MPG in town. I haven’t found anything about the car that I dislike. It’s a joy to drive, the seats are comfortable, it’s quiet, and the Boise sound system is terrific. I am confident that I made the right choice. The only hesitation I had in purchasing the Mazda was the 155 HP engine. I wanted a little more power than that, but the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem. Most of my driving is in town so I don’t have a pressing need for a bigger engine and the better MPG is an intelligent trade off as far as I’m concerned. Now that I’ve purchased the car I’ve driven it on the interstate and it more than holds its own getting up to speed on the entrance ramp. So, the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem."

What is so great about the CX5? Everything!

By on Friday, April 03, 2015

Pros: "great gas mileage, lots of cargo space"

Cons: "smaller towing capacity"

"I am truly happy with the CX5. It does everything I need it to do. I love how it drives (drives like my Miata), rides, and looks. I have owned it for 1 1/2 years and expect to own it for a very long time. It has out performed the previous Escape by far. Here in Michigan during the winter months my CX5 goes when other non 4 wheel drive vehicles don't. I didn't buy it for the features but I love them. The backup camera is nice, the navigation is awesome, and the blind spot monitor is very nice. I don't use the city stop feature so I cannot comment on that. I have taken it down dirt/mud roads, loaded it with all my camping gear, towed kayaks and a canoe, and bikes, and taken it on road trips. Excellent gas mileage. The only issue I really had was that I could not get the roof top carrier bars to match the vehicle color but they match the interior so its ok."

This car is absolutely perfect!

By on Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Pros: "Blind spot detection, great price, great mpg!"

Cons: "Not the Grand Touring :("

"After comparing SUV's for weeks my options were this car and A Rav 4 I was torn. The Rav 4 cost a lot less, but after driving Mini Coopers for the past eleven years, I was apprehensive about driving a bigger vehicle. The thing that sold me at the time was the blind spot detection! Since purchasing the car I keep coming across so many more benefits of owning this car over other brands. It doesn't burn oil Subaru is known to, takes regular unleaded gas, and is built like a tank! My only regret is that I didn't get the Grand Touring model."

Great SUV in Snowy Salt Lake City

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Great size SUV with great MPG for reasonable $'s"

Cons: "Needs more body side molding for door dings,"

""I can't say enough about this SUV. It is replacing a 2000 Volvo cross country with 205,000 miles. I really wanted a Subaru Crosstrek, but did not like noisy CVT trans and ride was choppy. Tried the Mitsubishi Outlander sport but again noisy CVT, but ride was better. Honda CRV did not care for looks. Sorry No Fix Or Repair Daily, FORD, too many complaints on problems, same for GM equivalents. Drove the Mazda CX5 and fell in love. The 6 speed auto is smooth and really works well. Really tight and quiet ride. I got the Grand Touring AWD, but no tech package. Lots of great options in the price, dual auto climate control, leather seats, backup camera, bluetooth, great radio Bose speakers, 40/20/40 rear seats. And I really like the blind spot warning system especially at night. Also the steering is electronic which changes the steering force as the speed changes also no oily mess from steering fluid, engine does not have a timing belt so no costly repairs down the road. 19" wheels, 8 way electric driver seat. Heated front seats. Push button start. Lots of set up features to tailor the radio, lights, door locks and display to your likes. Size wise compares to Lexus RX350, or BMW X3 but $10,000 less. I'm currently getting 28 MPG 50/50 city highway driving, and seeing 32 MPG for highway with only 850 miles on the engine. Purchased for $1,400 off of list and they tossed in weather floor mats and 1st oil change. The 2014 are coming soon with a 2.4 engine, reduced MPG by 1 mile, more power, but my 2.0 does just fine here in Salt Lake.""

Great all purpose vehicle and fun to drive

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage, reliability, looks"

Cons: "rear seat fold down issues, dust collecting dash"

"I purchased the 2014 touring model at the end of 2014. I drive about 40000 miles per year with most of the miles on the highway. I was considering the CRV and the Ford Escape. I ruled the Escape out when my neighbor told me about 3 long recalls he had. The CRV didn't have the pep or road handling of the CX5 but the back laid down better than the CX5. The gas mileage rating was slightly better than the others and with more power it seemed like a good deal for my long trips and drives in the mountains. Actual mileage is significantly affected by speed around 32 at 65, 30-31 at 70 and around 35 at 55mph. This is likely because of the relatively high profile(wind resistance). When I make many short trips with startups I get about 25mpg. Reliability is great, handling amazing for an SUV and economy very good. I carry a lot of camping gear and it has great cargo space. I like the dark windows in the rear. It cloaks the stuff in the back a bit. The blind spot monitor is great and I like the backup camera, though an backup proximity alarm would be good. I put a rubber mat in the back and really don't notice the road noise people mention. A couple minor items is the top of the dash seems to be a dust magnet and is hard to clean. The passing visibility is ok but could be better. The ride is a bit hard over bumps because of the relatively tight suspension. The back seat cannot fold down when the front seat is fully back and the rear headrests are on. I will look at similar cars in another 2 years but there is a high probability I will buy another CX5"