2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,168 - $21,485.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 09/01/2016

10/9.5

Based on 210 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Best in Class for 2016

By on Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Pros: "Performance, MPG, exterior and interior design"

Cons: "tech is weak, but not terrible (Nav, Radio, Phone)"

"I researched compact SUV's for a very long time. I am always concerned first with quality and reliability. I purchased this vehicle under the assumption that the reliability will be very good over time. My past ownership of Mazda cars has indicated this should be the case. In a crowded field, it's maddening to make comparisons. Most of the compact SUVs offer similar features, but the devil is in the details. You need to pick a price point, and determine what you can get for that amount. I chose the CX5 because of the bang for the buck. The gas mileage is among the best, unless you decide to go with a hybrid. The RAV4 offers a hybrid, but you will spend well over 30K out the door for not even the top trim level. The mileage on the CX5 is surely not as good, but pretty darn close for a combustion engine. I felt I would never recoup the added cost (4-5k) to justify the hybrid in terms of fuel savings over time. All other compact SUV choices were not nearly as good as the CX5 when it comes to fuel economy. I passed on the Hyundai and Kia brands because of lousy fuel economy. I have a friend that has the Tuscon, and barely can achieve 21 mpg in mixed driving conditions. The Tuscon has a turbo and dual clutch tranny, and is about as powerful as the Mazda. I was nervous about long term reliability of a dual clutch tranny that is in its first year, and the turbo, so I passed on the Tuscon. You need to be very careful about mpg and engine performance. Many brands put in a under powered engine to achieve better numbers. Lack of pick up and acceleration is a safety hazard. I would not buy any brand at the lowest trims, including the Mazda, because of poor power profiles in base engines. With that said, the Touring model offers a great engine, with superb acceleration. It is appropriate for all driving conditions. Matched with the mpg, the engine choice in the CX5 touring was the deciding factor for me. No other vehicle performed as well or better. Driving this car is a blast. Great road feel and handling. Some mention the cabin is noisy. I say this is not true, unless you floor it. For that matter, every car in the class makes engine noise. While cruising along, this car is smooth and quiet. The car comes with many features, including the RV camera and cross traffic alerts. These are must have features in a modern car. The cross traffic alert is worth its weight in gold. Don't buy a car without this feature! The seats are very comfy, and the interior ergonomics just right. I love the fact I can control everything with my right hand using the turn knob/joystick on the middle console. This is a big plus. It feels like a much more premium car because of this feature. The best things about this car to me are: 1. Great styling 2. MPG 3. Smooth powerful engine (184hp) 4. Smooth shifting transmission. No CVT! 5. Interior very comfortable 6. Nicely laid out cockpit, and ergonomics. The cockpit is extremely well thought out. 7. Price/value is superb Every car comes with compromises. I was well aware of these before I purchased the car. 1. Stereo system is at best mediocre in comparison to other cars. 2. Although comes with Navigation, it's a fairly rudimentary system. It works fine as a basic Nav system, but lacks modern features, particularly live traffic alerts. It's included in the Touring model and above, so I can't complain. Other cars don't include this in mid level trims, and charge a lot for it. It's good enough. If I need live traffic alerts, my phone is fine. 3. You should not be texting and driving. However, a voice system to answer texts would have been nice to have. You can read texts on the dash screen, and reply only with preformatted message reponses. Mazda is a little bit behind on the tech features related to the dash screen. They obviously put more emphasis on the performance features and overall build. In the end, this is a car, not a rolling office. Hence, the little things I don't have are greatly overshadowed by the overall quality of this car. I have no buyers remorse or second thoughts whatsoever about my purchase."

Really enjoying it

By on Monday, October 26, 2015

Pros: "comfort, mpg, fun to drive"

Cons: "right side blind spot"

"As that guy who never wanted an SUV and only had bad things to say about them, i am surprised and pleased how much I'm enjoying the CX-5. When you suddenly have 2 kids and live in a high mountain town in a poor country with bad roads, an SUV starts to make more sense. Coming from a small sporty hatchback, the CX-5 is easy and fun to drive, not truck like, not a gas hog, roomy, and looks great. So far only 1 complaint and 1 concern: complaint - the lane change view over your right shoulder is pretty bad, big blind spot there although the right side mirror is quite good; concern - the manual trans is good but sometimes it feels like the gearbox might be headed for trouble, there's just something there in the way it enters the gear slot that feels like its not as clean as it should be brand new. other than that all positive, i would easily recommend it."

love love this car

By on Monday, December 21, 2015

Pros: "drives smooth, good gas mileage"

Cons: "brakes sometimes can be not sensitive"

"I absolutely love this car. It drives like a sedan, extremely smooth and was torn between the CR-V and this car rated the top in its class and I haven't had any problems with it, although only had it for about a year but I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I had a sedan before this and now I absolutely love this car, would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a small crossover."

Loving my CX-5

By on Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Pros: "Awesome Bose sound system!"

Cons: "My husband feels the seats are a little narrow."

"After extensive research and based on my needs I chose to purchase the Mazda CX-5 and I'm extremely happy with my decision. My two choices were the Honda CRV and the CX-5. The CRV resembled a station wagon to me and so I chose to go with the CX-5, Touring. As a previous reviewer stated "in a sea of" Honda CRV's, Nissan Rouge's and Toyota Rav4's, the CX-5 has just a little touch of something different both in the design of the outside and inside the drivers seat. I've only had it for a few days but I LOVE driving this car. The inside design resembles that of a more expensive car. Without braking the bank I got sunroof, Bose speaker package, and Navigation, just to name a few. Love, Love, Love!!!"

What is so great about the CX5? Everything!

By on Friday, April 3, 2015

Pros: "great gas mileage, lots of cargo space"

Cons: "smaller towing capacity"

"I am truly happy with the CX5. It does everything I need it to do. I love how it drives (drives like my Miata), rides, and looks. I have owned it for 1 1/2 years and expect to own it for a very long time. It has out performed the previous Escape by far. Here in Michigan during the winter months my CX5 goes when other non 4 wheel drive vehicles don't. I didn't buy it for the features but I love them. The backup camera is nice, the navigation is awesome, and the blind spot monitor is very nice. I don't use the city stop feature so I cannot comment on that. I have taken it down dirt/mud roads, loaded it with all my camping gear, towed kayaks and a canoe, and bikes, and taken it on road trips. Excellent gas mileage. The only issue I really had was that I could not get the roof top carrier bars to match the vehicle color but they match the interior so its ok."