2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $25,954 - $27,647.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 09/01/2016

10/9.5

Based on 210 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Great Car & and outstanding value

By on Tuesday, January 8, 2013

"I researched small suv’s for about 18 months before I made a purchase. I wanted to wait until all the 2013 models were out before making my final decision. I had a laundry list of amenities and technology that the car I purchased had to have. I also had a budget and wanted to stay under $30,000 on the list price. One of my must have options was the blind spot warning system. Relatively few manufactures offer this on anything other than their luxury level cars. I’ve been driving a CRV for the last nine years. Honda makes a good vehicle so a new CRV was on my list of potential new cars along with the 2013 Ford Escape, Rav4, Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester. I also looked at KIA and Hyundai but they didn’t have all the options I wanted either I test drove all of them except the 2013 Rav4. The 2013 CRV didn’t offer the options I wanted and neither did the Subaru. The Escape had everything I wanted but listed for $33,000 and the RAV4 had a similar sticker price. The only car I found that offered all the options I wanted was the Mazda CX-5 and it listed for $27505.00 I have been very happy with my purchase. I’m averaging 29.2 MPG in town. I haven’t found anything about the car that I dislike. It’s a joy to drive, the seats are comfortable, it’s quiet, and the Boise sound system is terrific. I am confident that I made the right choice. The only hesitation I had in purchasing the Mazda was the 155 HP engine. I wanted a little more power than that, but the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem. Most of my driving is in town so I don’t have a pressing need for a bigger engine and the better MPG is an intelligent trade off as far as I’m concerned. Now that I’ve purchased the car I’ve driven it on the interstate and it more than holds its own getting up to speed on the entrance ramp. So, the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem."

Almost Perfect - If it Matches Your Criteria.

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "It drives most like my new BMW 2002."

Cons: "iPod / USB interface doesn't work well."

"The 2014 Mazda CX-5 is the absolute perfect car – if your criteria is: 1) Drives like a small BMW sedan, 2) Carries camping gear, bikes and kayaks down bad dirt roads to your favorite primitive campground. For a compact cross-over SUV it is high on utility and it is the first SUV where the S truly does mean sports car-like. However, it is not the perfect car if your criteria includes: 1) Tomb-quiet interior under all road conditions and speeds, 2) Zero intrusion of road-feel of any kind through the brakes, steering or suspension or 3) Extended off-road terrain crawling. Despite high ground clearance, fairly high seating position and a tall SUV body, it corners fast with no discernible body lean. At any semi-sane speed it is quiet inside, the only noise being a low level wind-woooosh from the mirrors. The ride is very compliant and sports sedan-like over marginal surfaces. The steering is very precise - both light at parking speed and well weighted for feedback at higher speeds. The suspension allows for full power acceleration and cornering over broken and undulating surfaces with no drama. Brake modulation is linear with little pedal travel and no unexpected grab as you approach full foot pressure. The engine produces good torque from about 2200 rpm. This minimizes downshifting of the (extremely smooth) 6 speed automatic when accelerating after a traffic slow-down, or when going uphill with additional people or gear on-board. It also pulls quite strongly to over 5000 rpm – great for 40-70 mph passing. Acceleration is responsive enough to put a smile on your face coming out of a twisty turn in 3rd gear. Rapid fully manual up-shifting and down-shifting is easy with the lever pulled over into the manual shift gate next to your right thigh. Even in manual mode, stomping the gas produces an instant kick-down to the lowest useable gear. In automatic mode the optimum gear is selected immediately, even downshifting when approaching a stop or when going downhill. When driven with a light foot in automatic mode it shifts up early to maximize gas mileage. Fast and responsive in manual mode and easy and efficient in automatic – perfect. The exterior styling is sleek, muscular and emotive without being overdone. The interior is elegant rather than flashy, even a bit austere – like an Italian suit. Small buttons and virtual buttons on touch screens are minimized in favor of rotating knobs and push switches that provide tactile feedback and can be found and operated without taking your eyes off the road. An excellent balance of function vs. fashion. The wide use of soft-touch materials adds to the impression of quality. The seats are initially firm, but feel comfortable and supportive even after several hours on the road. Substantial side bolsters keep you in place during spirited cornering. Rear seating and leg/foot room is spacious for 2 adults, but “cozy” for 3 adults. The driver’s seat adjusts for height, tilt and lumbar support. When combined with the tilt and telescoping steering, drivers of all sizes should find a perfect position. The 3 individually folding 40-20-40 seat backs will accommodate a mountain bike with the front wheel still attached, or 2 adults in the rear seats plus long items like skis or 2X4s. Mine is a Grand Touring All Wheel Drive with Tech Package. It includes a Bose stereo, sunroof, back-up camera, Xenon High Intensity headlights (that steer with the front wheels and self-level as people and gear are added), leather seats, Bluetooth, a Tom-Tom nav system plus blind spot monitoring and low speed collision avoidance. It has the highest EPA gas mileage results among the 20+ compact SUV models. And according to owner reviews it regularly returns better highway mileage than the EPA figure. My cumulative average mileage for 3000 miles of mountain roads and highways is 27 mpg. Best mileage was 29.8 mpg on a 600 mile trip that took me from sea level to 9500 ft (3 times) in the Sierra Nevada. Currently Consumer Reports predicts that long term reliability will be above average."

Nice and Nimble Vehicle

By on Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Pros: "Road handling, navigation/audio system, and more"

Cons: "Needs more leg room on the backseat."

"I bought the 2016 CX-5 GT version with all options it can have (4 miles on it). After driving a little over hundred miles, I must say, this vehicle is great. Although it lacks power compare to my V-6 SUV, IMHO, it handles itself on the road really well, especially on cornering, passing, and stopping, it's pretty stable. Body configuration is nice. I learned from other websites that Mazda worked on decreasing wind noise, but I believed there's room for improvement in this area. Tire rims very appealing, Navigation system's easy to operate with its 7" interactive screen, audio system's sounds great with the 9-speaker Bose system. Kids under 5 feet can sit comfortably on the back seats, but a little tight for a full grown adult."

Can't beat it!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Styling, interior quality/layout, MPG, handling"

Cons: "Would like touch-handle entry, lumbar adjustment."

"I have had the gray AWD Touring model CX5 for 2 months and driven in 7 snow storms already! Traded in an '09 Mazda6, which I loved, due to longer commute in Utah winters and a steep driveway the 6 couldn't get up in snow. After test driving the Subaru Crosstrek and Kia Sportage, chose the CX5 because of its eye-catching sportier styling, high-quality interior finishes, and how it handles on the road. The interiors of the other two I drove felt cheap in comparison, and the Crosstrek was much nosier on accelaration, and more sluggish. I love the CX5 so far! I average 31mpg on a 60 mile commute at 65mph. I have absolutely no problem getting through heavy snow, even on steep inclines. I traded in 272 hp for this, as well as the luxury features (leather, rain-sensing wipers, touch-handle entry). But the trade off was worth it because I feel safer in the bad weather, and I prefer the size of the CX5 better. For the hp, it accelerates just fine to highway speeds, has fantastic braking, and handles the road wonderfully. I didn't want to pay 4K more for the Grand Touring because I preferred cloth, and you still get plenty for the money. There are automatic daytime running lights (just not the full set of headlights).I have no issue with blind spots and rely soley on the side-view mirrors and BSM system for excellent view of the other lanes. I watched plenty of YouTube videos and read as many critic and consumer reviews as I could find, which helped with my decision. I added black (with silver accent) rims and love it!"

So Far, So Good!

By on Saturday, May 3, 2014

Pros: "Value for the money, fun to drive, good mileage"

Cons: "Rearward visiblity"

"I knew I wanted to replace my 2011 Mini Cooper with an SUV. I did a lot of shopping/test driving of small SUVs, and eventually came to the conclusion that the CX-5 was the best value for the $$$. I bought a fully loaded AWD GT Tech package version. I bought the Mazda because it is not as common as the RAV4, CRV, Escape & Equinox. I felt that it handled better, looked better, and was overall more fun to drive. My mileage is spot on as to what the EPA estimates are. Also, the AWD system is top notch. It was put to good use over the tough winter of 2014."