2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $26,672 - $27,997.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 07/28/2016

10/9.5

Based on 207 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Best in Class for 2016

By on Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Pros: "Performance, MPG, exterior and interior design"

Cons: "tech is weak, but not terrible (Nav, Radio, Phone)"

"I researched compact SUV's for a very long time. I am always concerned first with quality and reliability. I purchased this vehicle under the assumption that the reliability will be very good over time. My past ownership of Mazda cars has indicated this should be the case. In a crowded field, it's maddening to make comparisons. Most of the compact SUVs offer similar features, but the devil is in the details. You need to pick a price point, and determine what you can get for that amount. I chose the CX5 because of the bang for the buck. The gas mileage is among the best, unless you decide to go with a hybrid. The RAV4 offers a hybrid, but you will spend well over 30K out the door for not even the top trim level. The mileage on the CX5 is surely not as good, but pretty darn close for a combustion engine. I felt I would never recoup the added cost (4-5k) to justify the hybrid in terms of fuel savings over time. All other compact SUV choices were not nearly as good as the CX5 when it comes to fuel economy. I passed on the Hyundai and Kia brands because of lousy fuel economy. I have a friend that has the Tuscon, and barely can achieve 21 mpg in mixed driving conditions. The Tuscon has a turbo and dual clutch tranny, and is about as powerful as the Mazda. I was nervous about long term reliability of a dual clutch tranny that is in its first year, and the turbo, so I passed on the Tuscon. You need to be very careful about mpg and engine performance. Many brands put in a under powered engine to achieve better numbers. Lack of pick up and acceleration is a safety hazard. I would not buy any brand at the lowest trims, including the Mazda, because of poor power profiles in base engines. With that said, the Touring model offers a great engine, with superb acceleration. It is appropriate for all driving conditions. Matched with the mpg, the engine choice in the CX5 touring was the deciding factor for me. No other vehicle performed as well or better. Driving this car is a blast. Great road feel and handling. Some mention the cabin is noisy. I say this is not true, unless you floor it. For that matter, every car in the class makes engine noise. While cruising along, this car is smooth and quiet. The car comes with many features, including the RV camera and cross traffic alerts. These are must have features in a modern car. The cross traffic alert is worth its weight in gold. Don't buy a car without this feature! The seats are very comfy, and the interior ergonomics just right. I love the fact I can control everything with my right hand using the turn knob/joystick on the middle console. This is a big plus. It feels like a much more premium car because of this feature. The best things about this car to me are: 1. Great styling 2. MPG 3. Smooth powerful engine (184hp) 4. Smooth shifting transmission. No CVT! 5. Interior very comfortable 6. Nicely laid out cockpit, and ergonomics. The cockpit is extremely well thought out. 7. Price/value is superb Every car comes with compromises. I was well aware of these before I purchased the car. 1. Stereo system is at best mediocre in comparison to other cars. 2. Although comes with Navigation, it's a fairly rudimentary system. It works fine as a basic Nav system, but lacks modern features, particularly live traffic alerts. It's included in the Touring model and above, so I can't complain. Other cars don't include this in mid level trims, and charge a lot for it. It's good enough. If I need live traffic alerts, my phone is fine. 3. You should not be texting and driving. However, a voice system to answer texts would have been nice to have. You can read texts on the dash screen, and reply only with preformatted message reponses. Mazda is a little bit behind on the tech features related to the dash screen. They obviously put more emphasis on the performance features and overall build. In the end, this is a car, not a rolling office. Hence, the little things I don't have are greatly overshadowed by the overall quality of this car. I have no buyers remorse or second thoughts whatsoever about my purchase."

Really enjoying it

By on Monday, October 26, 2015

Pros: "comfort, mpg, fun to drive"

Cons: "right side blind spot"

"As that guy who never wanted an SUV and only had bad things to say about them, i am surprised and pleased how much I'm enjoying the CX-5. When you suddenly have 2 kids and live in a high mountain town in a poor country with bad roads, an SUV starts to make more sense. Coming from a small sporty hatchback, the CX-5 is easy and fun to drive, not truck like, not a gas hog, roomy, and looks great. So far only 1 complaint and 1 concern: complaint - the lane change view over your right shoulder is pretty bad, big blind spot there although the right side mirror is quite good; concern - the manual trans is good but sometimes it feels like the gearbox might be headed for trouble, there's just something there in the way it enters the gear slot that feels like its not as clean as it should be brand new. other than that all positive, i would easily recommend it."

love love this car

By on Monday, December 21, 2015

Pros: "drives smooth, good gas mileage"

Cons: "brakes sometimes can be not sensitive"

"I absolutely love this car. It drives like a sedan, extremely smooth and was torn between the CR-V and this car rated the top in its class and I haven't had any problems with it, although only had it for about a year but I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I had a sedan before this and now I absolutely love this car, would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a small crossover."

What is so great about the CX5? Everything!

By on Friday, April 3, 2015

Pros: "great gas mileage, lots of cargo space"

Cons: "smaller towing capacity"

"I am truly happy with the CX5. It does everything I need it to do. I love how it drives (drives like my Miata), rides, and looks. I have owned it for 1 1/2 years and expect to own it for a very long time. It has out performed the previous Escape by far. Here in Michigan during the winter months my CX5 goes when other non 4 wheel drive vehicles don't. I didn't buy it for the features but I love them. The backup camera is nice, the navigation is awesome, and the blind spot monitor is very nice. I don't use the city stop feature so I cannot comment on that. I have taken it down dirt/mud roads, loaded it with all my camping gear, towed kayaks and a canoe, and bikes, and taken it on road trips. Excellent gas mileage. The only issue I really had was that I could not get the roof top carrier bars to match the vehicle color but they match the interior so its ok."

Great all purpose vehicle and fun to drive

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage, reliability, looks"

Cons: "rear seat fold down issues, dust collecting dash"

"I purchased the 2014 touring model at the end of 2014. I drive about 40000 miles per year with most of the miles on the highway. I was considering the CRV and the Ford Escape. I ruled the Escape out when my neighbor told me about 3 long recalls he had. The CRV didn't have the pep or road handling of the CX5 but the back laid down better than the CX5. The gas mileage rating was slightly better than the others and with more power it seemed like a good deal for my long trips and drives in the mountains. Actual mileage is significantly affected by speed around 32 at 65, 30-31 at 70 and around 35 at 55mph. This is likely because of the relatively high profile(wind resistance). When I make many short trips with startups I get about 25mpg. Reliability is great, handling amazing for an SUV and economy very good. I carry a lot of camping gear and it has great cargo space. I like the dark windows in the rear. It cloaks the stuff in the back a bit. The blind spot monitor is great and I like the backup camera, though an backup proximity alarm would be good. I put a rubber mat in the back and really don't notice the road noise people mention. A couple minor items is the top of the dash seems to be a dust magnet and is hard to clean. The passing visibility is ok but could be better. The ride is a bit hard over bumps because of the relatively tight suspension. The back seat cannot fold down when the front seat is fully back and the rear headrests are on. I will look at similar cars in another 2 years but there is a high probability I will buy another CX5"

Nice and Nimble Vehicle

By on Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Pros: "Road handling, navigation/audio system, and more"

Cons: "Needs more leg room on the backseat."

"I bought the 2016 CX-5 GT version with all options it can have (4 miles on it). After driving a little over hundred miles, I must say, this vehicle is great. Although it lacks power compare to my V-6 SUV, IMHO, it handles itself on the road really well, especially on cornering, passing, and stopping, it's pretty stable. Body configuration is nice. I learned from other websites that Mazda worked on decreasing wind noise, but I believed there's room for improvement in this area. Tire rims very appealing, Navigation system's easy to operate with its 7" interactive screen, audio system's sounds great with the 9-speaker Bose system. Kids under 5 feet can sit comfortably on the back seats, but a little tight for a full grown adult."

Great SUV in Snowy Salt Lake City

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Great size SUV with great MPG for reasonable $'s"

Cons: "Needs more body side molding for door dings,"

""I can't say enough about this SUV. It is replacing a 2000 Volvo cross country with 205,000 miles. I really wanted a Subaru Crosstrek, but did not like noisy CVT trans and ride was choppy. Tried the Mitsubishi Outlander sport but again noisy CVT, but ride was better. Honda CRV did not care for looks. Sorry No Fix Or Repair Daily, FORD, too many complaints on problems, same for GM equivalents. Drove the Mazda CX5 and fell in love. The 6 speed auto is smooth and really works well. Really tight and quiet ride. I got the Grand Touring AWD, but no tech package. Lots of great options in the price, dual auto climate control, leather seats, backup camera, bluetooth, great radio Bose speakers, 40/20/40 rear seats. And I really like the blind spot warning system especially at night. Also the steering is electronic which changes the steering force as the speed changes also no oily mess from steering fluid, engine does not have a timing belt so no costly repairs down the road. 19" wheels, 8 way electric driver seat. Heated front seats. Push button start. Lots of set up features to tailor the radio, lights, door locks and display to your likes. Size wise compares to Lexus RX350, or BMW X3 but $10,000 less. I'm currently getting 28 MPG 50/50 city highway driving, and seeing 32 MPG for highway with only 850 miles on the engine. Purchased for $1,400 off of list and they tossed in weather floor mats and 1st oil change. The 2014 are coming soon with a 2.4 engine, reduced MPG by 1 mile, more power, but my 2.0 does just fine here in Salt Lake.""

Great Car & and outstanding value

By on Tuesday, January 8, 2013

"I researched small suv’s for about 18 months before I made a purchase. I wanted to wait until all the 2013 models were out before making my final decision. I had a laundry list of amenities and technology that the car I purchased had to have. I also had a budget and wanted to stay under $30,000 on the list price. One of my must have options was the blind spot warning system. Relatively few manufactures offer this on anything other than their luxury level cars. I’ve been driving a CRV for the last nine years. Honda makes a good vehicle so a new CRV was on my list of potential new cars along with the 2013 Ford Escape, Rav4, Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester. I also looked at KIA and Hyundai but they didn’t have all the options I wanted either I test drove all of them except the 2013 Rav4. The 2013 CRV didn’t offer the options I wanted and neither did the Subaru. The Escape had everything I wanted but listed for $33,000 and the RAV4 had a similar sticker price. The only car I found that offered all the options I wanted was the Mazda CX-5 and it listed for $27505.00 I have been very happy with my purchase. I’m averaging 29.2 MPG in town. I haven’t found anything about the car that I dislike. It’s a joy to drive, the seats are comfortable, it’s quiet, and the Boise sound system is terrific. I am confident that I made the right choice. The only hesitation I had in purchasing the Mazda was the 155 HP engine. I wanted a little more power than that, but the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem. Most of my driving is in town so I don’t have a pressing need for a bigger engine and the better MPG is an intelligent trade off as far as I’m concerned. Now that I’ve purchased the car I’ve driven it on the interstate and it more than holds its own getting up to speed on the entrance ramp. So, the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem."

Amazing SUV

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, amazing mpg and impressive styling!!"

"I bought my Grand Touring CX-5 towards the end of March and have roughly 5,000 miles already. It never fails, my mpg is always 31-32 mpg!! I drive 70 miles round trip through Dallas traffic daily and I can't believe the gas mileage! I was used to driving a cavalier for 7 years so I thought the transition to an SUV would take a bit to get used to. Let me tell you, this SUV drives amazing and rides just like a car. I am in LOVE with everything about this car. The backup camera is awesome, plus there are blind spot monitors on the side mirrors which light up if somebody is in your blind spot and beep at you if you put your blinker on. The radio is HD and the Bose speakers sound amazing! If you are thinking about purchasing this car, go test drive it and your mind will be made up! LOVE IT!"

Very good

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Grips road great, nothing cheap, reliable so far"

Cons: "Not enough pickup (but great gas mileage makes up)"

"Have had this car for 7 months and glad to have purchased. Fun to drive, no problems so far! WILL UPDATE! Since 15,000 doesn't say much about reliability I will be checking back in!"

13' CX-5

By on Friday, September 7, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage , air conditioning, zoom-zoom"

Cons: "Tom Tom navigation system a bit primitive to use."

"What an awesome little SUV. just got done taking my new CX-5 on a road trip up to Northern Arizona with my wife and two boys (pre teens). Got up the Mtn roads with ease. Auto wipers worked great! Suv hugged the road gracefully. Got an avg of 31 mpg after only having vehicle a week. Got the touring model with electronics & nav pkg. dials easy to use. Plenty of room and having three power outlets came in handy to power up the IPods/IPhones & Nintendo DS's. The A/C works great! Cools down quickly and blows enough to easily cool the rear seat passengers quickly. Traded in my Mazda 3 (2008) which I truly loved also but with two boys needed more room for all of us. Plus bottom line, it's fun to drive!"

Great car

By on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pros: "Best MPG for an AWD model"

Cons: "Not the quickest"

"Bought the Touring Awd model after looking at the Jeep Liberty, Chevy Equinox and the Outback. I narrowed my choice down to the CX-5 and the Outback, they both had good MPG numbers and I felt they both would hold their value and be above average for reliability. I went with the Mazda for a few reasons one it was a few thousand less than the Outback and I have a 2007 Mazda 6 with 105,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems over the last 5 years. I made the right choice the car is great to drive and so far my mileage has been about 30 combined. The only problem I have is it's so new not a lot of aftermarket accessories are available such as a trailer hitch. I' ve ordered it from 2 different manufactures both times being told it would ship only to find out they were manf back ordered. A few things to take note of both I found out after I bought the car, it uses a synthetic oil pushing the recommended oil change to 7,500 miles which is good as the oil is 9.00 a quart. Then if you need to replace the key you are looking at 250.00 tax for a new key. I needed a third key as we had a remote start installed and they needed the key for the installation. The dealer charged me a 145.00 for the fob 49.00 for the metal key and 55.00 to program it. I contacted my local locksmiths and a few online listings only to be told they had no listing for a 2013."

Drive it to believe it

By on Friday, April 6, 2012

Pros: "Incredibly awesome to drive"

Cons: "No light in glove box. No analog temp gauge"

"I started many months ago looking into a vehicle purchase. I wanted a vehicle that was a car like with good handling, four wheel drive, and storage capability. I did not want a station wagon. I believe the many smaller listed SUVs are really station wagons. I drove many of the highly reviewed mini SUVs. However, when driving these units they seemed truck like. I then test drove the Mazda CX-5. I was really blown away by the driving experience. Here was a SUV that handled like a sporty car. I was able to easily make turns and had a live feel I of the road. The appearance of the CX 5 is spot on with its definitive lines. I especially like how the rear looks with its integrated tail lights. The seats are really comfortable and provide excellent support. The Bose sound system really rocks with its surround sound technology. The 19 inch tires are another cool touch….look awesome. I simply say if you are in the market for a small SUV drive this puppy and you will not let it go. I bought this bad-boy and its been a heck of great ride so far. Mazda put a lot of thought into every part of this car and they looked at it from the driver’s view out and not the engineers view in. Drive safe out there"

Almost Perfect - If it Matches Your Criteria.

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "It drives most like my new BMW 2002."

Cons: "iPod / USB interface doesn't work well."

"The 2014 Mazda CX-5 is the absolute perfect car – if your criteria is: 1) Drives like a small BMW sedan, 2) Carries camping gear, bikes and kayaks down bad dirt roads to your favorite primitive campground. For a compact cross-over SUV it is high on utility and it is the first SUV where the S truly does mean sports car-like. However, it is not the perfect car if your criteria includes: 1) Tomb-quiet interior under all road conditions and speeds, 2) Zero intrusion of road-feel of any kind through the brakes, steering or suspension or 3) Extended off-road terrain crawling. Despite high ground clearance, fairly high seating position and a tall SUV body, it corners fast with no discernible body lean. At any semi-sane speed it is quiet inside, the only noise being a low level wind-woooosh from the mirrors. The ride is very compliant and sports sedan-like over marginal surfaces. The steering is very precise - both light at parking speed and well weighted for feedback at higher speeds. The suspension allows for full power acceleration and cornering over broken and undulating surfaces with no drama. Brake modulation is linear with little pedal travel and no unexpected grab as you approach full foot pressure. The engine produces good torque from about 2200 rpm. This minimizes downshifting of the (extremely smooth) 6 speed automatic when accelerating after a traffic slow-down, or when going uphill with additional people or gear on-board. It also pulls quite strongly to over 5000 rpm – great for 40-70 mph passing. Acceleration is responsive enough to put a smile on your face coming out of a twisty turn in 3rd gear. Rapid fully manual up-shifting and down-shifting is easy with the lever pulled over into the manual shift gate next to your right thigh. Even in manual mode, stomping the gas produces an instant kick-down to the lowest useable gear. In automatic mode the optimum gear is selected immediately, even downshifting when approaching a stop or when going downhill. When driven with a light foot in automatic mode it shifts up early to maximize gas mileage. Fast and responsive in manual mode and easy and efficient in automatic – perfect. The exterior styling is sleek, muscular and emotive without being overdone. The interior is elegant rather than flashy, even a bit austere – like an Italian suit. Small buttons and virtual buttons on touch screens are minimized in favor of rotating knobs and push switches that provide tactile feedback and can be found and operated without taking your eyes off the road. An excellent balance of function vs. fashion. The wide use of soft-touch materials adds to the impression of quality. The seats are initially firm, but feel comfortable and supportive even after several hours on the road. Substantial side bolsters keep you in place during spirited cornering. Rear seating and leg/foot room is spacious for 2 adults, but “cozy” for 3 adults. The driver’s seat adjusts for height, tilt and lumbar support. When combined with the tilt and telescoping steering, drivers of all sizes should find a perfect position. The 3 individually folding 40-20-40 seat backs will accommodate a mountain bike with the front wheel still attached, or 2 adults in the rear seats plus long items like skis or 2X4s. Mine is a Grand Touring All Wheel Drive with Tech Package. It includes a Bose stereo, sunroof, back-up camera, Xenon High Intensity headlights (that steer with the front wheels and self-level as people and gear are added), leather seats, Bluetooth, a Tom-Tom nav system plus blind spot monitoring and low speed collision avoidance. It has the highest EPA gas mileage results among the 20+ compact SUV models. And according to owner reviews it regularly returns better highway mileage than the EPA figure. My cumulative average mileage for 3000 miles of mountain roads and highways is 27 mpg. Best mileage was 29.8 mpg on a 600 mile trip that took me from sea level to 9500 ft (3 times) in the Sierra Nevada. Currently Consumer Reports predicts that long term reliability will be above average."

Can't beat it!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Styling, interior quality/layout, MPG, handling"

Cons: "Would like touch-handle entry, lumbar adjustment."

"I have had the gray AWD Touring model CX5 for 2 months and driven in 7 snow storms already! Traded in an '09 Mazda6, which I loved, due to longer commute in Utah winters and a steep driveway the 6 couldn't get up in snow. After test driving the Subaru Crosstrek and Kia Sportage, chose the CX5 because of its eye-catching sportier styling, high-quality interior finishes, and how it handles on the road. The interiors of the other two I drove felt cheap in comparison, and the Crosstrek was much nosier on accelaration, and more sluggish. I love the CX5 so far! I average 31mpg on a 60 mile commute at 65mph. I have absolutely no problem getting through heavy snow, even on steep inclines. I traded in 272 hp for this, as well as the luxury features (leather, rain-sensing wipers, touch-handle entry). But the trade off was worth it because I feel safer in the bad weather, and I prefer the size of the CX5 better. For the hp, it accelerates just fine to highway speeds, has fantastic braking, and handles the road wonderfully. I didn't want to pay 4K more for the Grand Touring because I preferred cloth, and you still get plenty for the money. There are automatic daytime running lights (just not the full set of headlights).I have no issue with blind spots and rely soley on the side-view mirrors and BSM system for excellent view of the other lanes. I watched plenty of YouTube videos and read as many critic and consumer reviews as I could find, which helped with my decision. I added black (with silver accent) rims and love it!"

So Far, So Good!

By on Saturday, May 3, 2014

Pros: "Value for the money, fun to drive, good mileage"

Cons: "Rearward visiblity"

"I knew I wanted to replace my 2011 Mini Cooper with an SUV. I did a lot of shopping/test driving of small SUVs, and eventually came to the conclusion that the CX-5 was the best value for the $$$. I bought a fully loaded AWD GT Tech package version. I bought the Mazda because it is not as common as the RAV4, CRV, Escape & Equinox. I felt that it handled better, looked better, and was overall more fun to drive. My mileage is spot on as to what the EPA estimates are. Also, the AWD system is top notch. It was put to good use over the tough winter of 2014."

JUST DRIVE ONE ALREADY

By on Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pros: "radio bose, fun, quiet, everything really"

Cons: "nothing"

"Just drive one. I drove the Honda CRV both the wife and I felt like when you were driving it you shimmied in the seat. Soft suspension. Drove the Escape with 1.6l eco boost. was not impressed with drive and feel. I really think they missed the mark with the front end styling on the Escape. Then drove the mazda. comfortable, quiet, great handling and good looks. went back and drove the others the same day back to back. (the dealers were all within a 1/2 mile) just wanted to make sure. We went back and bought the Mazda cx-5 that day. Just drive one, you'll see."

This car is absolutely perfect!

By on Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Pros: "Blind spot detection, great price, great mpg!"

Cons: "Not the Grand Touring :("

"After comparing SUV's for weeks my options were this car and A Rav 4 I was torn. The Rav 4 cost a lot less, but after driving Mini Coopers for the past eleven years, I was apprehensive about driving a bigger vehicle. The thing that sold me at the time was the blind spot detection! Since purchasing the car I keep coming across so many more benefits of owning this car over other brands. It doesn't burn oil Subaru is known to, takes regular unleaded gas, and is built like a tank! My only regret is that I didn't get the Grand Touring model."

Zoom Zoom!

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros: "Great price for value, features, mpg, and FUN!"

Cons: "Bigger cup holders and dedicated 4WD. No big deal!"

"Absolutely love my CX-5. The only things I wish it had was a little more horsepower when accelerating, especially when hauling my trailer, and I wish it had a different 4 wheel drive where you can actually put it into dedicated 4 WD Hi and Low settings. Is it a deal breaker, absolutely not! The rest of the things I can say are it gets fantastic gas mileage! The worst mileage I had was 24.2mpg in the winter when the whole week was below zero (I live in Minnesota) and I remote started it and let it run for almost 10 minutes before I would drive it. The best was 33.1 this fall when I took it on the highway for a week of training, where every day I drove 50 miles away, all highway driving. Amazing! The blind spot indicator is fantastic! I didn't even care when the salesman talked about the feature initially but now I am sold. Seats were a little stiff to begin with but are getting more comfortable as they break in. Absolutely love the headlights that turn when the car goes into a turn! The car is incredibly quiet until you get up to very high highway speeds and that is to be expected. My wife is jealous and now wants to trade in her older honda, I won't let her drive the CX-5 I'm afraid she will steal it every day and leave me with the accord, which by the way gets poorer gas mileage! First Mazda I've ever owned and I've had Chevy, Ford, Jeep, Audi, Toyota and Nissan products before. In addition to all the aforementioned car companies I did my research with their product line as well as Hyundai; Kia; Honda; Subaru; and VW. The Mazda was by far the best in almost every category and was real close when another company was rated better in my book. Overall value is fantastic, at least so far we'll have to see how it does in the long haul. Using the synthetic oil should help in that regard too! Great vehicle!!!!!"

Great car- very good MPG!

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "Great pricing compared to comparable vehicles."

Cons: "Needs larger diameter cup holders"

"Traded in our '06 Prius for a CX-5. Lost 14 MPG in the trade, but gained so much more - much less road noise,much more comfort, fun to drive, better handling, blind-spot warning,much better ground clearance, really a good looking vehicle, much better sound system,bluetooth. Recommend this vehicle highly. MPG since driving it off lot is 30.2 on about 50/50 highway and city driving. Plenty of power when asked for."

Perfect for my needs. 2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pros: "MPG, handles like a sedan, simple but high tech"

Cons: "Who forgot to put a light in the rear cargo area?"

"I love my Mazda! I've worked with a car rental company and have driven pretty much all the competition. I love the interior. It's simple, clean, and high tech without a million touch buttons like the new Ford Escape. (my Dad always said, "Keep it simple, Stupid.") I get MPG in the mid 20's around town and in the low 30's on the highway. The blind spot monitors, rear view camera, and bluetooth have already been life savers. The standard sound system in the Touring has been impressive as well (I get much better sound quality through my mp3 player than the radio). The handling really is awesome. It corners like a sporty sedan. The steering feels great and there isn't any tire squeal if you have to make a fast left turn (Who doesn't go faster to make a yellow turn signal?). This SUV is silent around turns my old Corolla would be squealing through. The AWD has been surefooted in the snow as well. The inside really is bigger than it looks from the outside. I'm 6'2" and fit comfortably (but a person needs to be shorter to sit comfortably behind me). There's tons of room for cargo with the seats down. I just moved a washing machine with plenty of room to spare. I love the materials and layout but my only dislike is about the interior lighting. Who forgot to put a light in the rear cargo area? Everything else is awesome except that it can be hard to see your cargo in the dark. If you fold the seats down, the light over the middle seats is enough to see the back. That said, I love my Mazda. Its a nearly perfect machine that's perfect for my needs :)"

LOVE LOVE LOVE

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, sporty look, interior"

Cons: "none!"

"I was searching for a crossover.. coming from a Mazda 3I. I needed more space.. but didn't have the budget to afford a big SUV nor did I want the low gas mileage that the bigger SUVs offered. I looked at the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Hyundai SanteFe, Ford Explorer and the Kia Sorento. I wasn't crazy about any one them and found them to be mediocre. I didn't like that I had to buy 2-3 levels up either to get some of the options I wanted. I loved my Mazda 3 and never had any problems with it.. So I went to the Mazda dealership and test drove the 2013 CX-5. I fell in love with it immediately. It had all the features I wanted and were looking for and the gas mileage was simply unbeatable by any other manufacturer. I love the sporty look and the interior. I ended up purchasing the Touring with the Bose/sunroof package. I have never been happier with my decision and look forward to driving every day now. I would highly recommend test driving this car... I also plan on going back to purchase the Navi. Not sure why I turned it down originally but the price is decent, and I shall be going back shortly to get it installed."

The car does it all

By on Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pros: "Handles well in the curve"

Cons: "Motor a little noise"

"Bought the car two weeks ago and left on vacation. Did 2200 miles in eight days with 2 adults and 2 children. My wife and I are over 6 feet and the kids just behind, had plenty of room. This was one of the main reasons we bought the car. Blue tooth works great with all three phones and easy to setup. Everything is right there and easy to use. Love the blind spot indicators in side view mirrors. The CX-5 handles like a car and easy to drive. The motor is a little slow but likes to rev. On vacation got 32.6 mpg, averaged 56 mph. Driving 80mph and still was getting 30mpg. Love the CX-5."

A jaded New Yorker is truly impressed

By on Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pros: "simple yet lux interior, fun to drive, steering"

Cons: "merging onto fast highways from standstill in nyc"

"At only 3 inches longer then our old and loved 2006 mazda3 We are amazed by the comfort and ride quality and fun of the cx-5. The road noise was always an issue for me with the 3 and I think if the road noise was a 7-8 out of 10 on the 3 this would be a 3-4. The shocks are firm but you don't feel jarred. the cx-5 corners beautifully. The electronics are very good. I am never super impressed by the bose car systems .. i give this a 7 or 8 out of 10 for sound but a 9 for ease of use. The seats are so comfy and the lumbar and adjustably in the grand touring is awesome. I love this car so much that I am writing a review. My only issue is the acceleration from 0-20 mph or so.. after 2 or 3rd gear it really torques nicely but from a standstill trying to merge onto a nasty nyc highway could use a bit more power.. but honestly everything else is just amazing. we hope to have this car a long time ( or at least till the diesel comes ) ;) thanks mazda for a winner . we love you!"

Update to driver from Salt Lake City

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "Just a great car, test drive one before you decide"

"Well after 2,600 miles everything is going great. The performance is better after the 2,000 mile mark. No problems to date. The last three gas fill-ups used 33 gallons with 921 miles driven, 27.9 miles per gallon in mixed city/highway. This car is very tight and drives like a dream on the highway. I really like the blind spot monitor system and the center rear seat fold down is handy for long items. For you owners with the automatic I found that by shifting to Neutral and pressing the engine off button the radio/blue tooth says on. Then shift into park and you can finish the phone call or radio until you exit. Just push the engine run button twice to completely turn off the car. Added body side molding that is paint color matched, ordered from web site for $125 and installed myself, very easy to do. Also if you deal on this car, get dealer to throw in winter floor mats and rear cargo mat to close deal. Well worth the money."