2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,139 - $21,636.

10/8.2

Based on 154 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

What is so great about the CX5? Everything!

By on Friday, April 03, 2015

Pros: "great gas mileage, lots of cargo space"

Cons: "smaller towing capacity"

"I am truly happy with the CX5. It does everything I need it to do. I love how it drives (drives like my Miata), rides, and looks. I have owned it for 1 1/2 years and expect to own it for a very long time. It has out performed the previous Escape by far. Here in Michigan during the winter months my CX5 goes when other non 4 wheel drive vehicles don't. I didn't buy it for the features but I love them. The backup camera is nice, the navigation is awesome, and the blind spot monitor is very nice. I don't use the city stop feature so I cannot comment on that. I have taken it down dirt/mud roads, loaded it with all my camping gear, towed kayaks and a canoe, and bikes, and taken it on road trips. Excellent gas mileage. The only issue I really had was that I could not get the roof top carrier bars to match the vehicle color but they match the interior so its ok."

cx-5 great driver

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pros: "very fun to drive"

Cons: "i would get darker tint on windows next time"

"cx-5 needs more (or larger) storage compartments. electric windows do not work unless ignition is on. best mpg = 37.8 @65 miles/hour on cruise. i love the blind spot detectors and rear camera. i enjoyed driving the "twisties" here in TN."

Great Small SUV

By on Sunday, May 24, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, handles well, nicely appointed"

Cons: "under powered, low gas mileage, noisy engine"

"One of the first 2013 CX-5's delivered to my dealership, in fact it was still on the boat when I placed my deposit. It has only been in the shop for oil change and inspections. It is a comfortable, useful all around vehicle that is suited well for its purpose. Gas mileage is on the low side of normal, average of 23.9mpg. I can take it on a 100 mile highway trip and average 33mpg after a few weeks of stop and go in the hills of Pa. its back to 23.9. Also, its "almost" impossible to fit a 2x4x8 and still close the hatch. A bit under powered trying to get to highway speed. The 2.5l engine fixes that."

Great Car & and outstanding value

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

"I researched small suv’s for about 18 months before I made a purchase. I wanted to wait until all the 2013 models were out before making my final decision. I had a laundry list of amenities and technology that the car I purchased had to have. I also had a budget and wanted to stay under $30,000 on the list price. One of my must have options was the blind spot warning system. Relatively few manufactures offer this on anything other than their luxury level cars. I’ve been driving a CRV for the last nine years. Honda makes a good vehicle so a new CRV was on my list of potential new cars along with the 2013 Ford Escape, Rav4, Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester. I also looked at KIA and Hyundai but they didn’t have all the options I wanted either I test drove all of them except the 2013 Rav4. The 2013 CRV didn’t offer the options I wanted and neither did the Subaru. The Escape had everything I wanted but listed for $33,000 and the RAV4 had a similar sticker price. The only car I found that offered all the options I wanted was the Mazda CX-5 and it listed for $27505.00 I have been very happy with my purchase. I’m averaging 29.2 MPG in town. I haven’t found anything about the car that I dislike. It’s a joy to drive, the seats are comfortable, it’s quiet, and the Boise sound system is terrific. I am confident that I made the right choice. The only hesitation I had in purchasing the Mazda was the 155 HP engine. I wanted a little more power than that, but the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem. Most of my driving is in town so I don’t have a pressing need for a bigger engine and the better MPG is an intelligent trade off as far as I’m concerned. Now that I’ve purchased the car I’ve driven it on the interstate and it more than holds its own getting up to speed on the entrance ramp. So, the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem."

LOVE LOVE LOVE

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, sporty look, interior"

Cons: "none!"

"I was searching for a crossover.. coming from a Mazda 3I. I needed more space.. but didn't have the budget to afford a big SUV nor did I want the low gas mileage that the bigger SUVs offered. I looked at the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Hyundai SanteFe, Ford Explorer and the Kia Sorento. I wasn't crazy about any one them and found them to be mediocre. I didn't like that I had to buy 2-3 levels up either to get some of the options I wanted. I loved my Mazda 3 and never had any problems with it.. So I went to the Mazda dealership and test drove the 2013 CX-5. I fell in love with it immediately. It had all the features I wanted and were looking for and the gas mileage was simply unbeatable by any other manufacturer. I love the sporty look and the interior. I ended up purchasing the Touring with the Bose/sunroof package. I have never been happier with my decision and look forward to driving every day now. I would highly recommend test driving this car... I also plan on going back to purchase the Navi. Not sure why I turned it down originally but the price is decent, and I shall be going back shortly to get it installed."

Can't beat it!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Styling, interior quality/layout, MPG, handling"

Cons: "Would like touch-handle entry, lumbar adjustment."

"I have had the gray AWD Touring model CX5 for 2 months and driven in 7 snow storms already! Traded in an '09 Mazda6, which I loved, due to longer commute in Utah winters and a steep driveway the 6 couldn't get up in snow. After test driving the Subaru Crosstrek and Kia Sportage, chose the CX5 because of its eye-catching sportier styling, high-quality interior finishes, and how it handles on the road. The interiors of the other two I drove felt cheap in comparison, and the Crosstrek was much nosier on accelaration, and more sluggish. I love the CX5 so far! I average 31mpg on a 60 mile commute at 65mph. I have absolutely no problem getting through heavy snow, even on steep inclines. I traded in 272 hp for this, as well as the luxury features (leather, rain-sensing wipers, touch-handle entry). But the trade off was worth it because I feel safer in the bad weather, and I prefer the size of the CX5 better. For the hp, it accelerates just fine to highway speeds, has fantastic braking, and handles the road wonderfully. I didn't want to pay 4K more for the Grand Touring because I preferred cloth, and you still get plenty for the money. There are automatic daytime running lights (just not the full set of headlights).I have no issue with blind spots and rely soley on the side-view mirrors and BSM system for excellent view of the other lanes. I watched plenty of YouTube videos and read as many critic and consumer reviews as I could find, which helped with my decision. I added black (with silver accent) rims and love it!"

JUST DRIVE ONE ALREADY

By on Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Pros: "radio bose, fun, quiet, everything really"

Cons: "nothing"

"Just drive one. I drove the Honda CRV both the wife and I felt like when you were driving it you shimmied in the seat. Soft suspension. Drove the Escape with 1.6l eco boost. was not impressed with drive and feel. I really think they missed the mark with the front end styling on the Escape. Then drove the mazda. comfortable, quiet, great handling and good looks. went back and drove the others the same day back to back. (the dealers were all within a 1/2 mile) just wanted to make sure. We went back and bought the Mazda cx-5 that day. Just drive one, you'll see."

The car does it all

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Pros: "Handles well in the curve"

Cons: "Motor a little noise"

"Bought the car two weeks ago and left on vacation. Did 2200 miles in eight days with 2 adults and 2 children. My wife and I are over 6 feet and the kids just behind, had plenty of room. This was one of the main reasons we bought the car. Blue tooth works great with all three phones and easy to setup. Everything is right there and easy to use. Love the blind spot indicators in side view mirrors. The CX-5 handles like a car and easy to drive. The motor is a little slow but likes to rev. On vacation got 32.6 mpg, averaged 56 mph. Driving 80mph and still was getting 30mpg. Love the CX-5."

So Far, So Good!

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "Value for the money, fun to drive, good mileage"

Cons: "Rearward visiblity"

"I knew I wanted to replace my 2011 Mini Cooper with an SUV. I did a lot of shopping/test driving of small SUVs, and eventually came to the conclusion that the CX-5 was the best value for the $$$. I bought a fully loaded AWD GT Tech package version. I bought the Mazda because it is not as common as the RAV4, CRV, Escape & Equinox. I felt that it handled better, looked better, and was overall more fun to drive. My mileage is spot on as to what the EPA estimates are. Also, the AWD system is top notch. It was put to good use over the tough winter of 2014."

Very good

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Grips road great, nothing cheap, reliable so far"

Cons: "Not enough pickup (but great gas mileage makes up)"

"Have had this car for 7 months and glad to have purchased. Fun to drive, no problems so far! WILL UPDATE! Since 15,000 doesn't say much about reliability I will be checking back in!"

A jaded New Yorker is truly impressed

By on Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pros: "simple yet lux interior, fun to drive, steering"

Cons: "merging onto fast highways from standstill in nyc"

"At only 3 inches longer then our old and loved 2006 mazda3 We are amazed by the comfort and ride quality and fun of the cx-5. The road noise was always an issue for me with the 3 and I think if the road noise was a 7-8 out of 10 on the 3 this would be a 3-4. The shocks are firm but you don't feel jarred. the cx-5 corners beautifully. The electronics are very good. I am never super impressed by the bose car systems .. i give this a 7 or 8 out of 10 for sound but a 9 for ease of use. The seats are so comfy and the lumbar and adjustably in the grand touring is awesome. I love this car so much that I am writing a review. My only issue is the acceleration from 0-20 mph or so.. after 2 or 3rd gear it really torques nicely but from a standstill trying to merge onto a nasty nyc highway could use a bit more power.. but honestly everything else is just amazing. we hope to have this car a long time ( or at least till the diesel comes ) ;) thanks mazda for a winner . we love you!"

Drive it to believe it

By on Friday, April 06, 2012

Pros: "Incredibly awesome to drive"

Cons: "No light in glove box. No analog temp gauge"

"I started many months ago looking into a vehicle purchase. I wanted a vehicle that was a car like with good handling, four wheel drive, and storage capability. I did not want a station wagon. I believe the many smaller listed SUVs are really station wagons. I drove many of the highly reviewed mini SUVs. However, when driving these units they seemed truck like. I then test drove the Mazda CX-5. I was really blown away by the driving experience. Here was a SUV that handled like a sporty car. I was able to easily make turns and had a live feel I of the road. The appearance of the CX 5 is spot on with its definitive lines. I especially like how the rear looks with its integrated tail lights. The seats are really comfortable and provide excellent support. The Bose sound system really rocks with its surround sound technology. The 19 inch tires are another cool touch….look awesome. I simply say if you are in the market for a small SUV drive this puppy and you will not let it go. I bought this bad-boy and its been a heck of great ride so far. Mazda put a lot of thought into every part of this car and they looked at it from the driver’s view out and not the engineers view in. Drive safe out there"

Great all purpose vehicle and fun to drive

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage, reliability, looks"

Cons: "rear seat fold down issues, dust collecting dash"

"I purchased the 2014 touring model at the end of 2014. I drive about 40000 miles per year with most of the miles on the highway. I was considering the CRV and the Ford Escape. I ruled the Escape out when my neighbor told me about 3 long recalls he had. The CRV didn't have the pep or road handling of the CX5 but the back laid down better than the CX5. The gas mileage rating was slightly better than the others and with more power it seemed like a good deal for my long trips and drives in the mountains. Actual mileage is significantly affected by speed around 32 at 65, 30-31 at 70 and around 35 at 55mph. This is likely because of the relatively high profile(wind resistance). When I make many short trips with startups I get about 25mpg. Reliability is great, handling amazing for an SUV and economy very good. I carry a lot of camping gear and it has great cargo space. I like the dark windows in the rear. It cloaks the stuff in the back a bit. The blind spot monitor is great and I like the backup camera, though an backup proximity alarm would be good. I put a rubber mat in the back and really don't notice the road noise people mention. A couple minor items is the top of the dash seems to be a dust magnet and is hard to clean. The passing visibility is ok but could be better. The ride is a bit hard over bumps because of the relatively tight suspension. The back seat cannot fold down when the front seat is fully back and the rear headrests are on. I will look at similar cars in another 2 years but there is a high probability I will buy another CX5"

Amazing SUV

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, amazing mpg and impressive styling!!"

"I bought my Grand Touring CX-5 towards the end of March and have roughly 5,000 miles already. It never fails, my mpg is always 31-32 mpg!! I drive 70 miles round trip through Dallas traffic daily and I can't believe the gas mileage! I was used to driving a cavalier for 7 years so I thought the transition to an SUV would take a bit to get used to. Let me tell you, this SUV drives amazing and rides just like a car. I am in LOVE with everything about this car. The backup camera is awesome, plus there are blind spot monitors on the side mirrors which light up if somebody is in your blind spot and beep at you if you put your blinker on. The radio is HD and the Bose speakers sound amazing! If you are thinking about purchasing this car, go test drive it and your mind will be made up! LOVE IT!"

Great SUV in Snowy Salt Lake City

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Great size SUV with great MPG for reasonable $'s"

Cons: "Needs more body side molding for door dings,"

""I can't say enough about this SUV. It is replacing a 2000 Volvo cross country with 205,000 miles. I really wanted a Subaru Crosstrek, but did not like noisy CVT trans and ride was choppy. Tried the Mitsubishi Outlander sport but again noisy CVT, but ride was better. Honda CRV did not care for looks. Sorry No Fix Or Repair Daily, FORD, too many complaints on problems, same for GM equivalents. Drove the Mazda CX5 and fell in love. The 6 speed auto is smooth and really works well. Really tight and quiet ride. I got the Grand Touring AWD, but no tech package. Lots of great options in the price, dual auto climate control, leather seats, backup camera, bluetooth, great radio Bose speakers, 40/20/40 rear seats. And I really like the blind spot warning system especially at night. Also the steering is electronic which changes the steering force as the speed changes also no oily mess from steering fluid, engine does not have a timing belt so no costly repairs down the road. 19" wheels, 8 way electric driver seat. Heated front seats. Push button start. Lots of set up features to tailor the radio, lights, door locks and display to your likes. Size wise compares to Lexus RX350, or BMW X3 but $10,000 less. I'm currently getting 28 MPG 50/50 city highway driving, and seeing 32 MPG for highway with only 850 miles on the engine. Purchased for $1,400 off of list and they tossed in weather floor mats and 1st oil change. The 2014 are coming soon with a 2.4 engine, reduced MPG by 1 mile, more power, but my 2.0 does just fine here in Salt Lake.""

13' CX-5

By on Friday, September 07, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage , air conditioning, zoom-zoom"

Cons: "Tom Tom navigation system a bit primitive to use."

"What an awesome little SUV. just got done taking my new CX-5 on a road trip up to Northern Arizona with my wife and two boys (pre teens). Got up the Mtn roads with ease. Auto wipers worked great! Suv hugged the road gracefully. Got an avg of 31 mpg after only having vehicle a week. Got the touring model with electronics & nav pkg. dials easy to use. Plenty of room and having three power outlets came in handy to power up the IPods/IPhones & Nintendo DS's. The A/C works great! Cools down quickly and blows enough to easily cool the rear seat passengers quickly. Traded in my Mazda 3 (2008) which I truly loved also but with two boys needed more room for all of us. Plus bottom line, it's fun to drive!"

Great car- very good MPG!

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "Great pricing compared to comparable vehicles."

Cons: "Needs larger diameter cup holders"

"Traded in our '06 Prius for a CX-5. Lost 14 MPG in the trade, but gained so much more - much less road noise,much more comfort, fun to drive, better handling, blind-spot warning,much better ground clearance, really a good looking vehicle, much better sound system,bluetooth. Recommend this vehicle highly. MPG since driving it off lot is 30.2 on about 50/50 highway and city driving. Plenty of power when asked for."

Great car

By on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pros: "Best MPG for an AWD model"

Cons: "Not the quickest"

"Bought the Touring Awd model after looking at the Jeep Liberty, Chevy Equinox and the Outback. I narrowed my choice down to the CX-5 and the Outback, they both had good MPG numbers and I felt they both would hold their value and be above average for reliability. I went with the Mazda for a few reasons one it was a few thousand less than the Outback and I have a 2007 Mazda 6 with 105,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems over the last 5 years. I made the right choice the car is great to drive and so far my mileage has been about 30 combined. The only problem I have is it's so new not a lot of aftermarket accessories are available such as a trailer hitch. I' ve ordered it from 2 different manufactures both times being told it would ship only to find out they were manf back ordered. A few things to take note of both I found out after I bought the car, it uses a synthetic oil pushing the recommended oil change to 7,500 miles which is good as the oil is 9.00 a quart. Then if you need to replace the key you are looking at 250.00 tax for a new key. I needed a third key as we had a remote start installed and they needed the key for the installation. The dealer charged me a 145.00 for the fob 49.00 for the metal key and 55.00 to program it. I contacted my local locksmiths and a few online listings only to be told they had no listing for a 2013."

Almost Perfect - If it Matches Your Criteria.

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "It drives most like my new BMW 2002."

Cons: "iPod / USB interface doesn't work well."

"The 2014 Mazda CX-5 is the absolute perfect car – if your criteria is: 1) Drives like a small BMW sedan, 2) Carries camping gear, bikes and kayaks down bad dirt roads to your favorite primitive campground. For a compact cross-over SUV it is high on utility and it is the first SUV where the S truly does mean sports car-like. However, it is not the perfect car if your criteria includes: 1) Tomb-quiet interior under all road conditions and speeds, 2) Zero intrusion of road-feel of any kind through the brakes, steering or suspension or 3) Extended off-road terrain crawling. Despite high ground clearance, fairly high seating position and a tall SUV body, it corners fast with no discernible body lean. At any semi-sane speed it is quiet inside, the only noise being a low level wind-woooosh from the mirrors. The ride is very compliant and sports sedan-like over marginal surfaces. The steering is very precise - both light at parking speed and well weighted for feedback at higher speeds. The suspension allows for full power acceleration and cornering over broken and undulating surfaces with no drama. Brake modulation is linear with little pedal travel and no unexpected grab as you approach full foot pressure. The engine produces good torque from about 2200 rpm. This minimizes downshifting of the (extremely smooth) 6 speed automatic when accelerating after a traffic slow-down, or when going uphill with additional people or gear on-board. It also pulls quite strongly to over 5000 rpm – great for 40-70 mph passing. Acceleration is responsive enough to put a smile on your face coming out of a twisty turn in 3rd gear. Rapid fully manual up-shifting and down-shifting is easy with the lever pulled over into the manual shift gate next to your right thigh. Even in manual mode, stomping the gas produces an instant kick-down to the lowest useable gear. In automatic mode the optimum gear is selected immediately, even downshifting when approaching a stop or when going downhill. When driven with a light foot in automatic mode it shifts up early to maximize gas mileage. Fast and responsive in manual mode and easy and efficient in automatic – perfect. The exterior styling is sleek, muscular and emotive without being overdone. The interior is elegant rather than flashy, even a bit austere – like an Italian suit. Small buttons and virtual buttons on touch screens are minimized in favor of rotating knobs and push switches that provide tactile feedback and can be found and operated without taking your eyes off the road. An excellent balance of function vs. fashion. The wide use of soft-touch materials adds to the impression of quality. The seats are initially firm, but feel comfortable and supportive even after several hours on the road. Substantial side bolsters keep you in place during spirited cornering. Rear seating and leg/foot room is spacious for 2 adults, but “cozy” for 3 adults. The driver’s seat adjusts for height, tilt and lumbar support. When combined with the tilt and telescoping steering, drivers of all sizes should find a perfect position. The 3 individually folding 40-20-40 seat backs will accommodate a mountain bike with the front wheel still attached, or 2 adults in the rear seats plus long items like skis or 2X4s. Mine is a Grand Touring All Wheel Drive with Tech Package. It includes a Bose stereo, sunroof, back-up camera, Xenon High Intensity headlights (that steer with the front wheels and self-level as people and gear are added), leather seats, Bluetooth, a Tom-Tom nav system plus blind spot monitoring and low speed collision avoidance. It has the highest EPA gas mileage results among the 20+ compact SUV models. And according to owner reviews it regularly returns better highway mileage than the EPA figure. My cumulative average mileage for 3000 miles of mountain roads and highways is 27 mpg. Best mileage was 29.8 mpg on a 600 mile trip that took me from sea level to 9500 ft (3 times) in the Sierra Nevada. Currently Consumer Reports predicts that long term reliability will be above average."

Zoom Zoom!

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros: "Great price for value, features, mpg, and FUN!"

Cons: "Bigger cup holders and dedicated 4WD. No big deal!"

"Absolutely love my CX-5. The only things I wish it had was a little more horsepower when accelerating, especially when hauling my trailer, and I wish it had a different 4 wheel drive where you can actually put it into dedicated 4 WD Hi and Low settings. Is it a deal breaker, absolutely not! The rest of the things I can say are it gets fantastic gas mileage! The worst mileage I had was 24.2mpg in the winter when the whole week was below zero (I live in Minnesota) and I remote started it and let it run for almost 10 minutes before I would drive it. The best was 33.1 this fall when I took it on the highway for a week of training, where every day I drove 50 miles away, all highway driving. Amazing! The blind spot indicator is fantastic! I didn't even care when the salesman talked about the feature initially but now I am sold. Seats were a little stiff to begin with but are getting more comfortable as they break in. Absolutely love the headlights that turn when the car goes into a turn! The car is incredibly quiet until you get up to very high highway speeds and that is to be expected. My wife is jealous and now wants to trade in her older honda, I won't let her drive the CX-5 I'm afraid she will steal it every day and leave me with the accord, which by the way gets poorer gas mileage! First Mazda I've ever owned and I've had Chevy, Ford, Jeep, Audi, Toyota and Nissan products before. In addition to all the aforementioned car companies I did my research with their product line as well as Hyundai; Kia; Honda; Subaru; and VW. The Mazda was by far the best in almost every category and was real close when another company was rated better in my book. Overall value is fantastic, at least so far we'll have to see how it does in the long haul. Using the synthetic oil should help in that regard too! Great vehicle!!!!!"

Perfect for my needs. 2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pros: "MPG, handles like a sedan, simple but high tech"

Cons: "Who forgot to put a light in the rear cargo area?"

"I love my Mazda! I've worked with a car rental company and have driven pretty much all the competition. I love the interior. It's simple, clean, and high tech without a million touch buttons like the new Ford Escape. (my Dad always said, "Keep it simple, Stupid.") I get MPG in the mid 20's around town and in the low 30's on the highway. The blind spot monitors, rear view camera, and bluetooth have already been life savers. The standard sound system in the Touring has been impressive as well (I get much better sound quality through my mp3 player than the radio). The handling really is awesome. It corners like a sporty sedan. The steering feels great and there isn't any tire squeal if you have to make a fast left turn (Who doesn't go faster to make a yellow turn signal?). This SUV is silent around turns my old Corolla would be squealing through. The AWD has been surefooted in the snow as well. The inside really is bigger than it looks from the outside. I'm 6'2" and fit comfortably (but a person needs to be shorter to sit comfortably behind me). There's tons of room for cargo with the seats down. I just moved a washing machine with plenty of room to spare. I love the materials and layout but my only dislike is about the interior lighting. Who forgot to put a light in the rear cargo area? Everything else is awesome except that it can be hard to see your cargo in the dark. If you fold the seats down, the light over the middle seats is enough to see the back. That said, I love my Mazda. Its a nearly perfect machine that's perfect for my needs :)"

excellent gas mileage

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage,road handlings etc"

Cons: "cup holders need better design"

"i bought my CX5 five months ago and have nothing bad to say about it, only the cup holder needs to be better designs and bigger in size.i recently drove for long road trip to montreal and then to toronto and back home, i got 31mpg,i am very pleased and satisfied owner of cx5."

Car and Driver operating as one unit

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Smooth shift, great takeoff, comfort."

Cons: "no all around camera"

"This SUV/CUV feels amazing in the handling. In the business I am in I can drive whatever I want, And the way this SUV handles and accelerates is nothing shy of AMAZING! I couldnt believe this was a 4 cylinder.. upon some research I found that SKYACTIV engines are the secret to this unique performance. the car apparently runs at a 13:1 combustion ration which is the same ratio as a race car, no honda or toyota comes anywhere close. As kids we used to put headers on our cars and alter the engine to make them faster, NO need here because it already has one.. I am in sheer amazement at how this car drives and handles. CRV was nice but I will not be going back to the CRV with its confused feeling CVT transmission."

Looks good, drives better and highly useful!!

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Great value for price, fun to drive, looks great"

Cons: "Nothing significant"

"Bottom Line Up Front: I bought my 2014 Soul Red Metallic Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring at the end of May and couldn't be happier with it! It looks great, drives wonderfully and is exceeding the advertised MPG ratings. Why did I buy this car? My family moved to South Dakota this past December and didn't own a car with AWD. Our cars were FWD and had always done fine in snow...on relatively level ground. However, our new house is at the top of a hill. After getting stuck in the snow and having to walk up the hill to the house one too many times, we decided to pursue a car with AWD before next winter. Much research and test driving ensued. We looked at the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Subaru Outback and Forester as well as the Mazda CX-5. Test drove them all multiple times before settling on the Mazda. Comparing the safety ratings, fuel economy, cargo capacity, etc. the cars all come out fairly similarly. In my opinion, the main differentials were looks and driving style. The CX-5 has the sleekest lines in its class and is far and away the most fun of the cars we tested to drive. It felt much more nimble and agile than the others and now it's in my garage. Mazda advertises 24 MPG city and 30 MPG highway for the AWD CX-5 with the bigger engine. I've yet to drive a full tank of gas on just a road trip, but I'm averaging 28-29.5 MPG combined driving around town and small stints on the interstate over the past six weeks. So, I'm very pleased with those results. The mileage definitely decreases going uphill, more than I would've thought. But, what goes up must come down, and this balances out with elevation changes on a round trip. Also, the owner's manual states that the MPG will really start to decrease over 60 MPH. So far, though, it seems to me like the point where the mileage really starts to drop is over 70 MPH. On level ground at 70 MPH I'm still getting 30+ MPG, but it goes down as the speed/RPMs increase above 70 MPH. Interior-wise, the car is very comfortable. The leather breathes well and doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer heat (at least so far) as I thought it might. The only competitor vehicle that I thought had a slightly better ergonomically laid out cockpit/better use of interior space was the Honda CR-V, but the CX-5 was a very close second. All the controls are easy to reach and operate, space is well-utilized and the instruments are easy to read. The black interior does show dirt fairly easily, but it also cleans up quite easily as well with minimal effort. In summary, if you are in the market for a small SUV, then I highly recommend the Mazda CX-5. It has great safety ratings, has fuel economy ratings at the top of the class (and is exceeding them so far in my experience), is comfortable and fun to drive and looks great. Buy with confidence!!"

Great car, value, gas mileage and fun to drive

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and sharp looking car"

Cons: "The 2.0 engine does not have zoom zoom hoped for"

"I was one of the first to buy this Grand Touring and had been waiting for it and we have liked it very much. I do mostly city driving where we have stop lights every mile so we only get about 21 mpg, which is good but less than expected. We got 30 to 32 mpg on the couple of longer trips we took with the car loaded. I know if we had regular city driving it would be more about 24 mpg. One thing I would have changed is to get the bigger engine. The 2.0 that came with the first cars is underpowered almost dangerous when pulling out into traffic, especially with 4 or 5 people inside. The zoom zoom is not there. I would buy it again but with the bigger engine. It is roomy for what we need and have gotten used to the side view mirror telling us if there is a car next to us. Have had no problems in the 2 years and 26,500 miles and only complaint is the underpowered engine."