• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,549 - $22,940.

10/8.2

Based on 117 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Fantastic vehicle.

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "Driveability"

Cons: "Back up camera screen is a little small."

"To put this in perspective, I'm a 60 year old male who cut his teeth on British cars and still drives a Miata, summers only. Bought my wife a new a new '13 Accord V6 almost two years ago. Fastest production 0-60 fwd car you could by and drives amazing. With that said, I was looking to replace my '03 Kia Sorrento EX 4wd that had been a great little tank, dog and stuff hauler. I really thought I'd replace it with a CRV. I don't drive the Accord often, and as I'm not techy find the Bluetooth confusing to remember. So figured the CRV would be the same layout making it easier to remember. All the reviews I read of the CX5 and CRV all pretty much gave a slight nod to the Mazda, and I figured I could give up the benefits of the Mazda to get the same OS of the Hondas. Until I drove them both. The Honda, though I'm sure is very high quality, is boring as mud to drive. When little old ladies decide to drive small SUV's, this will be their choice. I could detect the difference in the Mazda before I even got out of the parking lot. The difference that I thought would be slight is staggering in how they drive, and the cons I was prepared for never materialized. Engine and road noise in the Mazda are less, and handling isn't even in the same ballpark. To clarify, I bought a white/sand Grand Touring AWD w/ Tech. pkg., and I did purchase the cargo matt (carpeted) which dresses it up a bit, but thought would help with road noise issues I read about. Don't know if that was the cure, but it's quieter than the CRV EX-L. Maybe it's in part the 19" rims, but I think of it more as a sport sedan with lots of storage. I'm 6' tall and very comfortable behind the wheel, and can get in the back seat and not have my head or knees touch anything. Four six footers fit fine. Oddly compared to other comments I find all the tech stuff very intuitive and easy to set up. Wife and I have Androids and they pared up with no issues. To me the Bose is awesome. Even driving in town at a reasonable level drowns out any engine or outside noise. I can't comment on reliability as I've only had the car a week. I'm averaging 25 mpg. For the life of me I can't recognize any higher level of refinement in the CRV over the CX5, although I do think the black interior looks rather cheap while the sand looks straight out of a BMW. This car puts a smile on my face when I drive it and the CRV made me yawn."

First Impression - Excellent!

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Styling, Quality Materials, Handling, Value"

Cons: "Noisy on Cold Starts."

"2015 Grand Touring with the Technology Package. We've only had the CX-5 for a month or two. We love it! It has looks up there with the Luxury brands. It handles like a dream. The fit and finish is excellent. We've driven it on one long trip (500+ miles each way) and found it very comfortable and roomy. It's noisy for the first 20-30 seconds on cold start, due to the exhaust recirculation feature that i guess lowers emissions (pumps the fuel-rich exhaust back into the engine for a re-burn, or something like that). Otherwise it is very quiet! We had a 2008 CR-V which we have since given to our college age daughter. This car is way better looking, inside and out, with a much more updated and richly appointed interior. It also gets better mileage. If it's as reliable as the CR-V, Mazda will have a real winner on their hands!"

Good car with navigation problem

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "fuel efficient, great design, smooth, BSM!!!"

Cons: "not enough power, tech. problems (GPS sucks)"

"I bought this car in July and I love it. It's very smooth and fuel efficient. However, I noticed that my navigation does not work well. The GPS loses signal every 5 seconds, and keeps rerouting itself. Last time I took a trip to Oregon, in the middle of the road, it detected me in the middle of the ocean. I took it in to the shop to fix it and they said there's a clitch in 2015 Mazda CX5 navigations. Not 2014 but only in 2015 and they are trying to find a solution to fix it. Once they find a solution, only then they will be able to fix my navigation! What the heck? They shouldn't sold me this car in the first place then! This car is perfect for me if it wasn't for this problem and everytime I drive it, I got frustrated by the navigation which impacted my driving experience of this car. This tech-package costed me extra $1500 too. I would advise to check the navigation while test-driving before buying this car."

My new spaceship!!

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, technology, city gas mileage"

Cons: "Boise stereo a bit weak; black interior"

"Love this car!! First new, new car in over 20 years and WOW how technology has changed!! Took me at least a month to get use to and enjoy all of the features. My favorite features are the blind-spot monitoring and back-up camera!! Oh and the headlights - how they hug the road and turn as you turn. Love to drive at night just to watch them!! The SkyActive on this vehicle is amazing particularly how it makes a 4 cylinder car drive like a 6 cylinder. I have Never owned a 4C before and was hesitant, but no hesitation here!! Gets up and goes with the best of them - well maybe not the sports cars - LOL! City gas mileage has been great at 28.5 but not as happy with the highway mileage at just 30 but driving habits come into play here. It is a comfortable car - 5 is a tight fit but possible depending on size of passengers. My husband fits well at 6'2 and 250 which was surprising - but he is comfortable."

Great mid size SUV to drive

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

"Refined , good economy ,reliable , great handling . Drove to Florida in two days without any issues and in comfort"