• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $24,884 - $25,493.

10/8.3

Based on 121 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Terrible Infotainment System

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pros: "Nice styling. Good handling dynamics."

Cons: "The worst premium infotainment system. Ever."

2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

"I have a top-of-the-line, 2015 CX-5 GT AWD with Technology Package and Bose stereo system. If you must buy this vehicle, do yourself a favor and skip the Bose and the Tom Tom navigation. It is ridiculously inferior to other automakers' premium audio/navigation offerings. Mazda has been criticized for this system (in both the CX-5 and the 6 sedan), but it does nothing. The sound from the Bose system is mediocre, at best. The navigation system is slow and buggy. The iPod interface is a joke. Please take the time to try the system, thoroughly, before opting to purchase. Had I known, I would have bought the base stereo and upgraded to a quality system after delivery or skipped this vehicle, altogether."

2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

Mazda CX5

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pros: "Drives well, looks good."

Cons: "Uncomfortable seats, hard to see out back window"

"First purchase of a Mazda. What I like is the ease of driving, the body style, the blind spot feature, Bluetooth, and the automatic seat control from the back hatch. What I don't like is that the seats are very uncomfortable, particularly the bottom but the head rest too; it is difficult to see out of the back window, had to remove the head rests to see; the cup holders in the front seat are too close together, a flared cup hits the top of a second cup and knocks the lids off; there is no cargo cover in the back as a standard feature as it was in my Toyota; the clock is too low, it should be somewhere in the upper screen. There could be more door storage. I also hear more outside noise than in my Highlander."

best mileage ever for small SUV

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pros: "mileage and dependability"

Cons: "slower and rougher ride than CX-7"

"I bought this car after owning the CX-7, since I wanted to increase my mileage. My mileage went from 27 to 33, but I went from a slightly larger SUV to a smaller one. I had the peppier 2.5 liter on the CX-7, now I have a 2.0. It is less peppy, but I wanted the better mileage. The CX-7 is better on every aspect, except mileage. I would like to see the CX-7 with a slightly smaller engine, but add a turbo for increased mileage and performance. The CX-7 has a better interior, better accessories and more room and a better smoother ride."

Very spunky little car.

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"Handles great, excellent pickup!"

Fantastic vehicle.

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "Driveability"

Cons: "Back up camera screen is a little small."

"To put this in perspective, I'm a 60 year old male who cut his teeth on British cars and still drives a Miata, summers only. Bought my wife a new a new '13 Accord V6 almost two years ago. Fastest production 0-60 fwd car you could by and drives amazing. With that said, I was looking to replace my '03 Kia Sorrento EX 4wd that had been a great little tank, dog and stuff hauler. I really thought I'd replace it with a CRV. I don't drive the Accord often, and as I'm not techy find the Bluetooth confusing to remember. So figured the CRV would be the same layout making it easier to remember. All the reviews I read of the CX5 and CRV all pretty much gave a slight nod to the Mazda, and I figured I could give up the benefits of the Mazda to get the same OS of the Hondas. Until I drove them both. The Honda, though I'm sure is very high quality, is boring as mud to drive. When little old ladies decide to drive small SUV's, this will be their choice. I could detect the difference in the Mazda before I even got out of the parking lot. The difference that I thought would be slight is staggering in how they drive, and the cons I was prepared for never materialized. Engine and road noise in the Mazda are less, and handling isn't even in the same ballpark. To clarify, I bought a white/sand Grand Touring AWD w/ Tech. pkg., and I did purchase the cargo matt (carpeted) which dresses it up a bit, but thought would help with road noise issues I read about. Don't know if that was the cure, but it's quieter than the CRV EX-L. Maybe it's in part the 19" rims, but I think of it more as a sport sedan with lots of storage. I'm 6' tall and very comfortable behind the wheel, and can get in the back seat and not have my head or knees touch anything. Four six footers fit fine. Oddly compared to other comments I find all the tech stuff very intuitive and easy to set up. Wife and I have Androids and they pared up with no issues. To me the Bose is awesome. Even driving in town at a reasonable level drowns out any engine or outside noise. I can't comment on reliability as I've only had the car a week. I'm averaging 25 mpg. For the life of me I can't recognize any higher level of refinement in the CRV over the CX5, although I do think the black interior looks rather cheap while the sand looks straight out of a BMW. This car puts a smile on my face when I drive it and the CRV made me yawn."