2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,428 - $20,967.

10/8.3

Based on 127 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 ... 4 5 6 | Next

Looking for a Mazda 6 but bought the CX-5

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "Great drive, peppy engine, and great design"

Cons: "Navigation not included on Touring Package"

"Went to Mazda looking to buy a Mazda 6 that would replace my Nissan Altima that my son inherited. I have always wanted to own a Mazda but never could convince my wife to go look at them. Finally got her on the lot and she instantly started looking at the CX-5 and loved it. I did not realize the 2014 models were on lots and knew that the new model had the 2.5 liter 185 horse engine that is shared with the Mazda 6. Once I convinced the wife to get the Touring instead of the Sport edition I was stoked. Never driven a CUV that drives like a sporty car. This CUV does. The drive is what won me over and the wife liked the design. Every car/SUV has it's shortcomings and this is no exception. Navigation should be on the Touring but you have to buy the Tech package or pay $700 more for it. I also am not a fan of the center console air vents. They need to be a touch higher on the dash. At 6'1" the air hits me under the chin instead of blowing directly in my face. I love the design and the drive. The dash materials also impress me and I like how Mazda throws in a splash of stainless steel to accent certain parts of the vehicle. Seating is high so you get a good look at the road and the CUV does not have a blind spot like my older SUV does. Overall I am very pleased with this CUV and compared it to the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4, and Ford Excape and prefer it over all of them. I hope to get 10+ years out of this neat little CUV."

Best small CUV on the market

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "pleasure to drive."

Cons: "GPS system voice recognizition is "iffy""

"I researched and drove many of the other small CUVs on the market - Chev, Ford, Honda, Toyota - my opinion, the CX-5 is by far the best. I own the "14" GT with Touring package, the majority of my driving is city - about 80% city and 20% hway. MPG over 1,500 miles is 30.1 - not just from the trip computer but using the "old fashioned" method (miles traveled/gal). The vehicle is well built, no rattles or other distracting noises. Accl. is smooth and exceeds expectations for a 2.5 4-cyl. Seating is comfortable."

What's not to like? This car almost has it all!

By on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pros: "Great value, fun to drive, great car!"

"Some may think it's a little premature to review a vehicle after only about 200 miles, but this car is great! I've been researching this car and the competition since before the CX-5 was even available. Bought the 2014 Grand Touring w/Technical Package. Got a great deal, and the salesman/dealership were fantastic to work with. Traded-in a 1991 Mazda, so not too concerned with long-term reliability of a Mazda. Also have a 2004 Mazda (133,000 mi) that has been no trouble at all. The CX-5 drives like a dream; handles very well, and according to the on-board computer, mileage ratings are right-on (so far). Haven't had to fill-up yet, so can't do an actual calculation. It rides nice and is very comfortable. The voice-controlled Bluetooth works well. Just haven't found anything to complain about this car. I do think the cargo cover should be standard on the Grand Touring, but I got the dealer to throw it into the deal. I'll try to come back with a new review in about 6 months or so, but for now, if you're looking for a small SUV, you need to try the CX-5."

Mazda has a hit with the CX-5

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

Pros: "design, driveability, amenities"

Cons: "none so far"

"We've had several Mazdas, including a Miata, and three Mazda 3s. The CX-5 is really a grand vehicle. Well built, drives like Mazdas do and we have the Grand Touring so all the equipment makes it even better. No complaints at all. We have about 400 miles on it, Soul Red and with all the bells and whistles it was a perfect purchase."

Fun to drive and great MPG!

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Pros: "MPG, exterior/interior design, Skyactive Tech"

Cons: "Can't think of any"

"This is a well-designed vehicle. It drives nice, handles amazing, and is comfortable. I have a Sport model with AWD, so it is the smaller 2.0 liter engine. I really enjoy having a versatile AWD vehicle that gets 31 mpg on the highway. I value a vehicle that has a low cost-to-own, so I can care less if it can do 0 to 60 in under X seconds. I notice some people have commented that they wish this particular engine had more horsepower. To me, the acceleration is just fine; I have no problem getting quickly up to speed on the highway. Why would anyone need anything more than adequate acceleration for a crossover anyways? If there is such a thing as "crossover racing," I've never heard of it. If you are looking to save some initial cost and a little gas money, then I think you will be happy with the Sport trim."

What Am I Missing?

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "looks nice outside"

Cons: "interior does not look like it will stand up"

"Did the KBB staff review the same car that I tried out? I found the driver's seat to be cramped and the interior to look really cheap. The seat cloth looks very thin and not durable. I think Mazda needs to spend some money on the interior to keep up with the competition. Sure the car looks nice outside, but I couldn't stand hearing rattling plastic when I hit road bumps/small potholes in the test drive."

Good car , but the worst dealerships’ structure

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

I don't own this car

"I really wanted to buy this car, but here in South Florida I couldn't find a single decent dealer with a good customer service to give me a reasonable buying experience and I wasn't really impressed with the dealers structure... One of the Reps even told me that he wouldn’t give any price or test drive until I “was ready to buy the CX-5” – after I had told him that I was deciding between 4 different brands… (He just made my decision easier…). It is a shame, but Mazda needs to invest in training and education for their sales force (+ a facelift on its dealerships’ appearance). I ended up buying a Ford Escape… (just like getting married, you need to look into yours bride’s family as well…)"

great mileage, spiffy looks, great handling

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "too numerous to mention"

Cons: "Wish the driver's seat had a memory setting."

"I love this car. We purchased the 2014 version with the larger engine (184 hp) and the Grand Touring Package along with a few other bells and whistles. The smaller engine seems a little unpowered since we drive to Tahoe often. The mileage estimates have been right on (24,30) for the all-wheel drive. I find the seating very comfortable and car handles much like a sports car. It is a pleasure to drive and we have received a number of compliments on the appearance. This is my 6th Mazda as well as owning many other vehicles. I sold my 2003 Lexus RX300 to purchase the CX-5 and find it has many features and safety upgrades not on the Lexus. Love the blind spot monitoring, sound system as well as the navigation system. To date, no problems and don't anticipate any."

Best in class

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "I love the way it rides, handles and looks."

Cons: "Interior materials and controls."

"We really liked the ride, pep, mpg and utility of the CX-5. Ours is loaded with all the options plus we're adding cross bars, trailer hitch and rear parking sensors. We've only had it for a week but so far we love it. Only complaint would be the quality of the interior; it could be nicer, better quality materials and controls, etc."

Update to driver from Salt Lake City

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "Just a great car, test drive one before you decide"

"Well after 2,600 miles everything is going great. The performance is better after the 2,000 mile mark. No problems to date. The last three gas fill-ups used 33 gallons with 921 miles driven, 27.9 miles per gallon in mixed city/highway. This car is very tight and drives like a dream on the highway. I really like the blind spot monitor system and the center rear seat fold down is handy for long items. For you owners with the automatic I found that by shifting to Neutral and pressing the engine off button the radio/blue tooth says on. Then shift into park and you can finish the phone call or radio until you exit. Just push the engine run button twice to completely turn off the car. Added body side molding that is paint color matched, ordered from web site for $125 and installed myself, very easy to do. Also if you deal on this car, get dealer to throw in winter floor mats and rear cargo mat to close deal. Well worth the money."

Tried out, but did not buy

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Nice looks and decent pick up"

Cons: "Costly to get desirable features."

"The lower models are priced decently, but you hit close to $30,000 to get some really desirable ones. Decent small SUV, but make sure you sit in the back seat too. Kids have no problem getting out of the back seat, but the wheel wells are so far forward that an adult has to twist around them to get out. Also, Mazda removed the engine temperature gauge from the dashboard display. I asked the dealer where it went and he said they removed it to save money and replaced it with a trouble light that will turn on if the engine gets too hot. I haven't driven a car without an engine temperature gauge on the dashboard in over 30 years, so this is a step backwards that they should change back."

Perfect for my needs. 2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pros: "MPG, handles like a sedan, simple but high tech"

Cons: "Who forgot to put a light in the rear cargo area?"

"I love my Mazda! I've worked with a car rental company and have driven pretty much all the competition. I love the interior. It's simple, clean, and high tech without a million touch buttons like the new Ford Escape. (my Dad always said, "Keep it simple, Stupid.") I get MPG in the mid 20's around town and in the low 30's on the highway. The blind spot monitors, rear view camera, and bluetooth have already been life savers. The standard sound system in the Touring has been impressive as well (I get much better sound quality through my mp3 player than the radio). The handling really is awesome. It corners like a sporty sedan. The steering feels great and there isn't any tire squeal if you have to make a fast left turn (Who doesn't go faster to make a yellow turn signal?). This SUV is silent around turns my old Corolla would be squealing through. The AWD has been surefooted in the snow as well. The inside really is bigger than it looks from the outside. I'm 6'2" and fit comfortably (but a person needs to be shorter to sit comfortably behind me). There's tons of room for cargo with the seats down. I just moved a washing machine with plenty of room to spare. I love the materials and layout but my only dislike is about the interior lighting. Who forgot to put a light in the rear cargo area? Everything else is awesome except that it can be hard to see your cargo in the dark. If you fold the seats down, the light over the middle seats is enough to see the back. That said, I love my Mazda. Its a nearly perfect machine that's perfect for my needs :)"

Great car - with two issues

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, attractive, roomy"

Cons: "Underpowered, headrests not designed for women"

"This is my third Mazda and I LOVE IT! It's comfortable to drive, handles very well and gets great gas mileage for an SUV. It's an attractive vehicle inside and out and the dog loves riding in the back! I do have two issues with it though. It's underpowered. Not by a whole lot, but when you're used to driving a manual, small car - it's an adjustment. I had an intake installed and the power boost is great. Also, the head rest clearly wasn't designed for a woman. By that I mean, it's uncomfortable to wear my hair up and sit in the car. I've tried adjusting it every which way. I think I finally have it right - I tilt the seat back ever so slightly when I have my hair up. I know it's silly, but you have to live with a car choice for a long time and ladies need the facts."

test drove very disappointed!

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "looks good, smooth engine on flat ground or slight"

Cons: "see above"

"Test drove a 2013 CX-5 Sunday in Spokane, WA and was very disappointed as I used to love Mazda. Fob only, no key which I have seen fail multiple times in last few years as a Recreation Planner leaving drivers stranded. Side Mirrors causes huge blind spots. Downshifting ineffective and extremely noisy. Couldn't hold gear or speed on Freya, a short steep hill. More expensive then similar basic vehicles that have more basic options. Was quite andcomfortable going on flat ground or uphill."

Bought the Grand touring two weeks ago.

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, quality construction,plenty of power"

"I bought my first Mazda in 2008. That was a Miata Grand Touring. I loved that car, but after moving back to Salt Lake city from Phoenix, I realized that I needed all-wheel drive. The Miata was not fun in heavy snow! I test drove CR-V's, Foresters, Escapes, a sportage and a bunch of others but the best out of all of them is the 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring with the 2.5 engine. This drives more like my Miata did then like a crossover! This is the best handling and most comfortable crossover that I have driven.I have the power sunroof, so it's "almost" like my MX-5 ...Mazda did so well with this one that I cannot think of anything else that I would want to add to it! This CX-5 rocks!"

Good car

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "2.5 is peppy. Styling is good. Feels solid."

Cons: "wish it were a few inches wider."

"The car is solid. I do wish it were a little wider. With car seat installed there really isn't enough room for two in the back. I've accepted that, but Escape is more than 8 inches wider. Wish the car (touring) had auto headlights (the kind that turn on and off with the car) feels like a real miss in car as refined feeling as this. Also wish the glass on rear hatch opened, it makes a real difference when your trying to cram as much stuff as possible into the back. To be clear I'm nit picking a bit, the car is great so far. Actually one last bit of info, the high belt line makes for small windows in the back and a poor view for a shorter rear passenger. My wife is 5' 2" and can barely see out."

JUST DRIVE ONE ALREADY

By on Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Pros: "radio bose, fun, quiet, everything really"

Cons: "nothing"

"Just drive one. I drove the Honda CRV both the wife and I felt like when you were driving it you shimmied in the seat. Soft suspension. Drove the Escape with 1.6l eco boost. was not impressed with drive and feel. I really think they missed the mark with the front end styling on the Escape. Then drove the mazda. comfortable, quiet, great handling and good looks. went back and drove the others the same day back to back. (the dealers were all within a 1/2 mile) just wanted to make sure. We went back and bought the Mazda cx-5 that day. Just drive one, you'll see."

Great SUV in Snowy Salt Lake City

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Great size SUV with great MPG for reasonable $'s"

Cons: "Needs more body side molding for door dings,"

""I can't say enough about this SUV. It is replacing a 2000 Volvo cross country with 205,000 miles. I really wanted a Subaru Crosstrek, but did not like noisy CVT trans and ride was choppy. Tried the Mitsubishi Outlander sport but again noisy CVT, but ride was better. Honda CRV did not care for looks. Sorry No Fix Or Repair Daily, FORD, too many complaints on problems, same for GM equivalents. Drove the Mazda CX5 and fell in love. The 6 speed auto is smooth and really works well. Really tight and quiet ride. I got the Grand Touring AWD, but no tech package. Lots of great options in the price, dual auto climate control, leather seats, backup camera, bluetooth, great radio Bose speakers, 40/20/40 rear seats. And I really like the blind spot warning system especially at night. Also the steering is electronic which changes the steering force as the speed changes also no oily mess from steering fluid, engine does not have a timing belt so no costly repairs down the road. 19" wheels, 8 way electric driver seat. Heated front seats. Push button start. Lots of set up features to tailor the radio, lights, door locks and display to your likes. Size wise compares to Lexus RX350, or BMW X3 but $10,000 less. I'm currently getting 28 MPG 50/50 city highway driving, and seeing 32 MPG for highway with only 850 miles on the engine. Purchased for $1,400 off of list and they tossed in weather floor mats and 1st oil change. The 2014 are coming soon with a 2.4 engine, reduced MPG by 1 mile, more power, but my 2.0 does just fine here in Salt Lake.""

Can't beat it!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Styling, interior quality/layout, MPG, handling"

Cons: "Would like touch-handle entry, lumbar adjustment."

"I have had the gray AWD Touring model CX5 for 2 months and driven in 7 snow storms already! Traded in an '09 Mazda6, which I loved, due to longer commute in Utah winters and a steep driveway the 6 couldn't get up in snow. After test driving the Subaru Crosstrek and Kia Sportage, chose the CX5 because of its eye-catching sportier styling, high-quality interior finishes, and how it handles on the road. The interiors of the other two I drove felt cheap in comparison, and the Crosstrek was much nosier on accelaration, and more sluggish. I love the CX5 so far! I average 31mpg on a 60 mile commute at 65mph. I have absolutely no problem getting through heavy snow, even on steep inclines. I traded in 272 hp for this, as well as the luxury features (leather, rain-sensing wipers, touch-handle entry). But the trade off was worth it because I feel safer in the bad weather, and I prefer the size of the CX5 better. For the hp, it accelerates just fine to highway speeds, has fantastic braking, and handles the road wonderfully. I didn't want to pay 4K more for the Grand Touring because I preferred cloth, and you still get plenty for the money. There are automatic daytime running lights (just not the full set of headlights).I have no issue with blind spots and rely soley on the side-view mirrors and BSM system for excellent view of the other lanes. I watched plenty of YouTube videos and read as many critic and consumer reviews as I could find, which helped with my decision. I added black (with silver accent) rims and love it!"

Zoom Zoom!

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros: "Great price for value, features, mpg, and FUN!"

Cons: "Bigger cup holders and dedicated 4WD. No big deal!"

"Absolutely love my CX-5. The only things I wish it had was a little more horsepower when accelerating, especially when hauling my trailer, and I wish it had a different 4 wheel drive where you can actually put it into dedicated 4 WD Hi and Low settings. Is it a deal breaker, absolutely not! The rest of the things I can say are it gets fantastic gas mileage! The worst mileage I had was 24.2mpg in the winter when the whole week was below zero (I live in Minnesota) and I remote started it and let it run for almost 10 minutes before I would drive it. The best was 33.1 this fall when I took it on the highway for a week of training, where every day I drove 50 miles away, all highway driving. Amazing! The blind spot indicator is fantastic! I didn't even care when the salesman talked about the feature initially but now I am sold. Seats were a little stiff to begin with but are getting more comfortable as they break in. Absolutely love the headlights that turn when the car goes into a turn! The car is incredibly quiet until you get up to very high highway speeds and that is to be expected. My wife is jealous and now wants to trade in her older honda, I won't let her drive the CX-5 I'm afraid she will steal it every day and leave me with the accord, which by the way gets poorer gas mileage! First Mazda I've ever owned and I've had Chevy, Ford, Jeep, Audi, Toyota and Nissan products before. In addition to all the aforementioned car companies I did my research with their product line as well as Hyundai; Kia; Honda; Subaru; and VW. The Mazda was by far the best in almost every category and was real close when another company was rated better in my book. Overall value is fantastic, at least so far we'll have to see how it does in the long haul. Using the synthetic oil should help in that regard too! Great vehicle!!!!!"

Just crossed off my shopping list

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Seems well built"

Cons: "Feels like you're sitting in a bathtub"

"After reading rave reviews of this vehicle, I went to see one in person. All it took was a minute sitting in the driver's seat for me to cross it off my list. The ergonomics are horrible. I could not find a comfortable position no matter how much I fiddled with the seat, and even if I had been able to, the outward vision is terrible. I felt like I was sitting in a bathtub. The belt line is too high and the pillars too thick. I had instant claustrophobia. Also, where I wanted to naturally rest my elbows was about 4 inches above where the center console/driver's door arm rest actually hit me (I'm 6'1"). So I never did drive it because it would be pointless, because all I wanted to do was get out of it. No $ale."

Great Car & and outstanding value

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

"I researched small suv’s for about 18 months before I made a purchase. I wanted to wait until all the 2013 models were out before making my final decision. I had a laundry list of amenities and technology that the car I purchased had to have. I also had a budget and wanted to stay under $30,000 on the list price. One of my must have options was the blind spot warning system. Relatively few manufactures offer this on anything other than their luxury level cars. I’ve been driving a CRV for the last nine years. Honda makes a good vehicle so a new CRV was on my list of potential new cars along with the 2013 Ford Escape, Rav4, Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester. I also looked at KIA and Hyundai but they didn’t have all the options I wanted either I test drove all of them except the 2013 Rav4. The 2013 CRV didn’t offer the options I wanted and neither did the Subaru. The Escape had everything I wanted but listed for $33,000 and the RAV4 had a similar sticker price. The only car I found that offered all the options I wanted was the Mazda CX-5 and it listed for $27505.00 I have been very happy with my purchase. I’m averaging 29.2 MPG in town. I haven’t found anything about the car that I dislike. It’s a joy to drive, the seats are comfortable, it’s quiet, and the Boise sound system is terrific. I am confident that I made the right choice. The only hesitation I had in purchasing the Mazda was the 155 HP engine. I wanted a little more power than that, but the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem. Most of my driving is in town so I don’t have a pressing need for a bigger engine and the better MPG is an intelligent trade off as far as I’m concerned. Now that I’ve purchased the car I’ve driven it on the interstate and it more than holds its own getting up to speed on the entrance ramp. So, the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem."

I absolutely love my CX-5!!!

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "comfort, technology, cargo space and funn to drive"

"I got to say I usually don't write reviews on things Iowned but i have to make an exception when it comes to my new CX-5. I was in te fence anbout buying this car because of the 2.0L engine and was worry about acceleration when entering the interstate like i did when i owned a corolla with a 1.8L engine that used to hit high RPMs and I hated that, but I have to say that Mazda did a great job here. I drive my CX-5 7 days a week and I get fantastic MPG!. I drove it down to the beach about 8hrs from here to NYC and to Columbus Ohio. Over all i love this thing and i will like to get another one. I would highly recommend the Bluetooth package with the rearview camera."

excellent gas mileage

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage,road handlings etc"

Cons: "cup holders need better design"

"i bought my CX5 five months ago and have nothing bad to say about it, only the cup holder needs to be better designs and bigger in size.i recently drove for long road trip to montreal and then to toronto and back home, i got 31mpg,i am very pleased and satisfied owner of cx5."

Great car- very good MPG!

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "Great pricing compared to comparable vehicles."

Cons: "Needs larger diameter cup holders"

"Traded in our '06 Prius for a CX-5. Lost 14 MPG in the trade, but gained so much more - much less road noise,much more comfort, fun to drive, better handling, blind-spot warning,much better ground clearance, really a good looking vehicle, much better sound system,bluetooth. Recommend this vehicle highly. MPG since driving it off lot is 30.2 on about 50/50 highway and city driving. Plenty of power when asked for."

Previous | 1 ... 4 5 6 | Next