• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,912 - $21,309.

10/8.3

Based on 113 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 ... 3 4 5 | Next

Bought the Grand touring two weeks ago.

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, quality construction,plenty of power"

"I bought my first Mazda in 2008. That was a Miata Grand Touring. I loved that car, but after moving back to Salt Lake city from Phoenix, I realized that I needed all-wheel drive. The Miata was not fun in heavy snow! I test drove CR-V's, Foresters, Escapes, a sportage and a bunch of others but the best out of all of them is the 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring with the 2.5 engine. This drives more like my Miata did then like a crossover! This is the best handling and most comfortable crossover that I have driven.I have the power sunroof, so it's "almost" like my MX-5 ...Mazda did so well with this one that I cannot think of anything else that I would want to add to it! This CX-5 rocks!"

Good car

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "2.5 is peppy. Styling is good. Feels solid."

Cons: "wish it were a few inches wider."

"The car is solid. I do wish it were a little wider. With car seat installed there really isn't enough room for two in the back. I've accepted that, but Escape is more than 8 inches wider. Wish the car (touring) had auto headlights (the kind that turn on and off with the car) feels like a real miss in car as refined feeling as this. Also wish the glass on rear hatch opened, it makes a real difference when your trying to cram as much stuff as possible into the back. To be clear I'm nit picking a bit, the car is great so far. Actually one last bit of info, the high belt line makes for small windows in the back and a poor view for a shorter rear passenger. My wife is 5' 2" and can barely see out."

JUST DRIVE ONE ALREADY

By on Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Pros: "radio bose, fun, quiet, everything really"

Cons: "nothing"

"Just drive one. I drove the Honda CRV both the wife and I felt like when you were driving it you shimmied in the seat. Soft suspension. Drove the Escape with 1.6l eco boost. was not impressed with drive and feel. I really think they missed the mark with the front end styling on the Escape. Then drove the mazda. comfortable, quiet, great handling and good looks. went back and drove the others the same day back to back. (the dealers were all within a 1/2 mile) just wanted to make sure. We went back and bought the Mazda cx-5 that day. Just drive one, you'll see."

Great SUV in Snowy Salt Lake City

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Great size SUV with great MPG for reasonable $'s"

Cons: "Needs more body side molding for door dings,"

""I can't say enough about this SUV. It is replacing a 2000 Volvo cross country with 205,000 miles. I really wanted a Subaru Crosstrek, but did not like noisy CVT trans and ride was choppy. Tried the Mitsubishi Outlander sport but again noisy CVT, but ride was better. Honda CRV did not care for looks. Sorry No Fix Or Repair Daily, FORD, too many complaints on problems, same for GM equivalents. Drove the Mazda CX5 and fell in love. The 6 speed auto is smooth and really works well. Really tight and quiet ride. I got the Grand Touring AWD, but no tech package. Lots of great options in the price, dual auto climate control, leather seats, backup camera, bluetooth, great radio Bose speakers, 40/20/40 rear seats. And I really like the blind spot warning system especially at night. Also the steering is electronic which changes the steering force as the speed changes also no oily mess from steering fluid, engine does not have a timing belt so no costly repairs down the road. 19" wheels, 8 way electric driver seat. Heated front seats. Push button start. Lots of set up features to tailor the radio, lights, door locks and display to your likes. Size wise compares to Lexus RX350, or BMW X3 but $10,000 less. I'm currently getting 28 MPG 50/50 city highway driving, and seeing 32 MPG for highway with only 850 miles on the engine. Purchased for $1,400 off of list and they tossed in weather floor mats and 1st oil change. The 2014 are coming soon with a 2.4 engine, reduced MPG by 1 mile, more power, but my 2.0 does just fine here in Salt Lake.""

Can't beat it!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Styling, interior quality/layout, MPG, handling"

Cons: "Would like touch-handle entry, lumbar adjustment."

"I have had the gray AWD Touring model CX5 for 2 months and driven in 7 snow storms already! Traded in an '09 Mazda6, which I loved, due to longer commute in Utah winters and a steep driveway the 6 couldn't get up in snow. After test driving the Subaru Crosstrek and Kia Sportage, chose the CX5 because of its eye-catching sportier styling, high-quality interior finishes, and how it handles on the road. The interiors of the other two I drove felt cheap in comparison, and the Crosstrek was much nosier on accelaration, and more sluggish. I love the CX5 so far! I average 31mpg on a 60 mile commute at 65mph. I have absolutely no problem getting through heavy snow, even on steep inclines. I traded in 272 hp for this, as well as the luxury features (leather, rain-sensing wipers, touch-handle entry). But the trade off was worth it because I feel safer in the bad weather, and I prefer the size of the CX5 better. For the hp, it accelerates just fine to highway speeds, has fantastic braking, and handles the road wonderfully. I didn't want to pay 4K more for the Grand Touring because I preferred cloth, and you still get plenty for the money. There are automatic daytime running lights (just not the full set of headlights).I have no issue with blind spots and rely soley on the side-view mirrors and BSM system for excellent view of the other lanes. I watched plenty of YouTube videos and read as many critic and consumer reviews as I could find, which helped with my decision. I added black (with silver accent) rims and love it!"

Zoom Zoom!

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros: "Great price for value, features, mpg, and FUN!"

Cons: "Bigger cup holders and dedicated 4WD. No big deal!"

"Absolutely love my CX-5. The only things I wish it had was a little more horsepower when accelerating, especially when hauling my trailer, and I wish it had a different 4 wheel drive where you can actually put it into dedicated 4 WD Hi and Low settings. Is it a deal breaker, absolutely not! The rest of the things I can say are it gets fantastic gas mileage! The worst mileage I had was 24.2mpg in the winter when the whole week was below zero (I live in Minnesota) and I remote started it and let it run for almost 10 minutes before I would drive it. The best was 33.1 this fall when I took it on the highway for a week of training, where every day I drove 50 miles away, all highway driving. Amazing! The blind spot indicator is fantastic! I didn't even care when the salesman talked about the feature initially but now I am sold. Seats were a little stiff to begin with but are getting more comfortable as they break in. Absolutely love the headlights that turn when the car goes into a turn! The car is incredibly quiet until you get up to very high highway speeds and that is to be expected. My wife is jealous and now wants to trade in her older honda, I won't let her drive the CX-5 I'm afraid she will steal it every day and leave me with the accord, which by the way gets poorer gas mileage! First Mazda I've ever owned and I've had Chevy, Ford, Jeep, Audi, Toyota and Nissan products before. In addition to all the aforementioned car companies I did my research with their product line as well as Hyundai; Kia; Honda; Subaru; and VW. The Mazda was by far the best in almost every category and was real close when another company was rated better in my book. Overall value is fantastic, at least so far we'll have to see how it does in the long haul. Using the synthetic oil should help in that regard too! Great vehicle!!!!!"

Just crossed off my shopping list

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Seems well built"

Cons: "Feels like you're sitting in a bathtub"

"After reading rave reviews of this vehicle, I went to see one in person. All it took was a minute sitting in the driver's seat for me to cross it off my list. The ergonomics are horrible. I could not find a comfortable position no matter how much I fiddled with the seat, and even if I had been able to, the outward vision is terrible. I felt like I was sitting in a bathtub. The belt line is too high and the pillars too thick. I had instant claustrophobia. Also, where I wanted to naturally rest my elbows was about 4 inches above where the center console/driver's door arm rest actually hit me (I'm 6'1"). So I never did drive it because it would be pointless, because all I wanted to do was get out of it. No $ale."

Great Car & and outstanding value

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

"I researched small suv’s for about 18 months before I made a purchase. I wanted to wait until all the 2013 models were out before making my final decision. I had a laundry list of amenities and technology that the car I purchased had to have. I also had a budget and wanted to stay under $30,000 on the list price. One of my must have options was the blind spot warning system. Relatively few manufactures offer this on anything other than their luxury level cars. I’ve been driving a CRV for the last nine years. Honda makes a good vehicle so a new CRV was on my list of potential new cars along with the 2013 Ford Escape, Rav4, Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester. I also looked at KIA and Hyundai but they didn’t have all the options I wanted either I test drove all of them except the 2013 Rav4. The 2013 CRV didn’t offer the options I wanted and neither did the Subaru. The Escape had everything I wanted but listed for $33,000 and the RAV4 had a similar sticker price. The only car I found that offered all the options I wanted was the Mazda CX-5 and it listed for $27505.00 I have been very happy with my purchase. I’m averaging 29.2 MPG in town. I haven’t found anything about the car that I dislike. It’s a joy to drive, the seats are comfortable, it’s quiet, and the Boise sound system is terrific. I am confident that I made the right choice. The only hesitation I had in purchasing the Mazda was the 155 HP engine. I wanted a little more power than that, but the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem. Most of my driving is in town so I don’t have a pressing need for a bigger engine and the better MPG is an intelligent trade off as far as I’m concerned. Now that I’ve purchased the car I’ve driven it on the interstate and it more than holds its own getting up to speed on the entrance ramp. So, the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem."

I absolutely love my CX-5!!!

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "comfort, technology, cargo space and funn to drive"

"I got to say I usually don't write reviews on things Iowned but i have to make an exception when it comes to my new CX-5. I was in te fence anbout buying this car because of the 2.0L engine and was worry about acceleration when entering the interstate like i did when i owned a corolla with a 1.8L engine that used to hit high RPMs and I hated that, but I have to say that Mazda did a great job here. I drive my CX-5 7 days a week and I get fantastic MPG!. I drove it down to the beach about 8hrs from here to NYC and to Columbus Ohio. Over all i love this thing and i will like to get another one. I would highly recommend the Bluetooth package with the rearview camera."

excellent gas mileage

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage,road handlings etc"

Cons: "cup holders need better design"

"i bought my CX5 five months ago and have nothing bad to say about it, only the cup holder needs to be better designs and bigger in size.i recently drove for long road trip to montreal and then to toronto and back home, i got 31mpg,i am very pleased and satisfied owner of cx5."

Great car- very good MPG!

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "Great pricing compared to comparable vehicles."

Cons: "Needs larger diameter cup holders"

"Traded in our '06 Prius for a CX-5. Lost 14 MPG in the trade, but gained so much more - much less road noise,much more comfort, fun to drive, better handling, blind-spot warning,much better ground clearance, really a good looking vehicle, much better sound system,bluetooth. Recommend this vehicle highly. MPG since driving it off lot is 30.2 on about 50/50 highway and city driving. Plenty of power when asked for."

Efficient,smart designed Mazda

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

"She's only a week old, but very happy with the cx-5. Great visibility and comfort, fun to drive. I only liked the Kia sx turbo more, but the cost & mpg made the difference. The Mazda also looks a bit nicer."

Excellent gas mileage and driving experience!

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and great gas mileage"

Cons: "none so far"

"Really surprised with city gas mileage. I primarily use this SUV for daily office commute which is about two miles (round trip). For this kind distance I am getting close to 26+ mpg city (with my 2005 accord I was getting only about 18-19 mpg). The City+highway average is comes to about 28 mpg (I didn't travel much on highways). Moreover it is easy to maneuver and fun to drive. Really happy to own this vehicle."

13' CX-5

By on Friday, September 07, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage , air conditioning, zoom-zoom"

Cons: "Tom Tom navigation system a bit primitive to use."

"What an awesome little SUV. just got done taking my new CX-5 on a road trip up to Northern Arizona with my wife and two boys (pre teens). Got up the Mtn roads with ease. Auto wipers worked great! Suv hugged the road gracefully. Got an avg of 31 mpg after only having vehicle a week. Got the touring model with electronics & nav pkg. dials easy to use. Plenty of room and having three power outlets came in handy to power up the IPods/IPhones & Nintendo DS's. The A/C works great! Cools down quickly and blows enough to easily cool the rear seat passengers quickly. Traded in my Mazda 3 (2008) which I truly loved also but with two boys needed more room for all of us. Plus bottom line, it's fun to drive!"

LOVE LOVE LOVE

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, sporty look, interior"

Cons: "none!"

"I was searching for a crossover.. coming from a Mazda 3I. I needed more space.. but didn't have the budget to afford a big SUV nor did I want the low gas mileage that the bigger SUVs offered. I looked at the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Hyundai SanteFe, Ford Explorer and the Kia Sorento. I wasn't crazy about any one them and found them to be mediocre. I didn't like that I had to buy 2-3 levels up either to get some of the options I wanted. I loved my Mazda 3 and never had any problems with it.. So I went to the Mazda dealership and test drove the 2013 CX-5. I fell in love with it immediately. It had all the features I wanted and were looking for and the gas mileage was simply unbeatable by any other manufacturer. I love the sporty look and the interior. I ended up purchasing the Touring with the Bose/sunroof package. I have never been happier with my decision and look forward to driving every day now. I would highly recommend test driving this car... I also plan on going back to purchase the Navi. Not sure why I turned it down originally but the price is decent, and I shall be going back shortly to get it installed."

What a dud. Biggest mistake I ever made in

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "Drives and handles like all other crossovers"

Cons: "Do not add options from dealership."

"purchasing a vehicle. A C goes from cold to warm when I accelerate from 0 to 30. Dealership said nothing is wrong and that I should be using the recycle option and not the fresh air cycle. That is crazy. Never had problem with any other auto. The CX 5 is a nice looking vehicle, but also looks like several other manufactured crossovers."

Brilliant

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Great drive, layout, economy, just fun to drive"

Cons: "I can't think of any thing yet"

"Just purchased new CX 5, alredy done 1000+ miles, and all I can say, is great, no brilliant, no excellent, no unbelievable fantastic economy, driving experience, handles better than the ultimate driving machine, in fact this is the ultimate driving machine, not the other thing that costs an arm and a leg and everything else. GO Mazda"

Still new but so far great.

By on Friday, July 13, 2012

Pros: "Outstanding ride and handling. Nice styling."

Cons: "Not easy to shut off engine when at a stop."

"Nearly everything about this car blows the competition away. Sure the acceleration is not quite as good as other SUV's but I don't need a race car or high gas bills. The ride"

best vehicle ever

By on Friday, July 13, 2012

Pros: "great price,fun to drive,wife loves it"

"owned 1500 miles really like vehicle gets 32mpg on highway and 29 avg. just like they said it would, handles great ,rides great, quiet, no problems, really nice dealer"

great car

By on Monday, June 25, 2012

Pros: "great price,great looking car,save money in gas."

Cons: "NONE"

"I went from a BMW 328xi to this nice mazda cx-5 my car payment went down, my MPG went up saving so much money and still have a great looking car a lot of more room ,best decition I have made."

Totally Impressed Grand Touring FWD

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

"The more I drive it, the more I love it. A smooth ride, quiet, dashboard layout awesome, electronic console easy to use, comfortable front seats, enough space in the back with the seats down for two labrador retrievers, very stylish. I have other drivers on the interstate following and looking, people stop me in the parking lot to ask about the car. Great car!!"

Great car

By on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pros: "Best MPG for an AWD model"

Cons: "Not the quickest"

"Bought the Touring Awd model after looking at the Jeep Liberty, Chevy Equinox and the Outback. I narrowed my choice down to the CX-5 and the Outback, they both had good MPG numbers and I felt they both would hold their value and be above average for reliability. I went with the Mazda for a few reasons one it was a few thousand less than the Outback and I have a 2007 Mazda 6 with 105,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems over the last 5 years. I made the right choice the car is great to drive and so far my mileage has been about 30 combined. The only problem I have is it's so new not a lot of aftermarket accessories are available such as a trailer hitch. I' ve ordered it from 2 different manufactures both times being told it would ship only to find out they were manf back ordered. A few things to take note of both I found out after I bought the car, it uses a synthetic oil pushing the recommended oil change to 7,500 miles which is good as the oil is 9.00 a quart. Then if you need to replace the key you are looking at 250.00 tax for a new key. I needed a third key as we had a remote start installed and they needed the key for the installation. The dealer charged me a 145.00 for the fob 49.00 for the metal key and 55.00 to program it. I contacted my local locksmiths and a few online listings only to be told they had no listing for a 2013."

Amazing SUV

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, amazing mpg and impressive styling!!"

"I bought my Grand Touring CX-5 towards the end of March and have roughly 5,000 miles already. It never fails, my mpg is always 31-32 mpg!! I drive 70 miles round trip through Dallas traffic daily and I can't believe the gas mileage! I was used to driving a cavalier for 7 years so I thought the transition to an SUV would take a bit to get used to. Let me tell you, this SUV drives amazing and rides just like a car. I am in LOVE with everything about this car. The backup camera is awesome, plus there are blind spot monitors on the side mirrors which light up if somebody is in your blind spot and beep at you if you put your blinker on. The radio is HD and the Bose speakers sound amazing! If you are thinking about purchasing this car, go test drive it and your mind will be made up! LOVE IT!"

I Like My Car!

By on Friday, June 08, 2012

Pros: "Great Gas Mileage, Nice Styling, Great Performance"

Cons: "Seats Uncomfortable"

"I looked at a number of cars before settling on the CX5 Touring (Jeep,Equinox,Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, Rav4,CRV). The CRV and CX5 are very close together, the others are not close in MPG. I am currently getting right around 37 MPG Average which has surprised the heck out of me! The car is very basic with no frills other than the backup camera and I added Homelink as an option. If you want real frills get the Grand Touring model. I bought the Sand/Black cloth interior and am concerned about it getting dirty and staining over time. The one major concern I have about the car is the seat comfort. My wife is sitting on a pillow to help with comfort. She says the seats are hard. I am getting used to the seat comfort so it does not bother me as bad (well see about a long trip). Other than the 2 concerns mentioned above we love the car. It is a little under powered, but I would expect that from a 2.0L engine. Mazda really has done a very good job with the engine size/transmission combination. If you want pep you really have to put your foot into it to get it. We are going to tow a PWC behind this vehicle, so we will see what happens to the MPG and performance when we get on the road. The CX5 has the largest towing capacity compared to the other vehicles we looked at. We are happy with the car and glad we bought it. Mazda has done a good job on this vehicle (except for the seat comfort, they need to work on that a little). I would buy the car again in a heart beat."

The car does it all

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Pros: "Handles well in the curve"

Cons: "Motor a little noise"

"Bought the car two weeks ago and left on vacation. Did 2200 miles in eight days with 2 adults and 2 children. My wife and I are over 6 feet and the kids just behind, had plenty of room. This was one of the main reasons we bought the car. Blue tooth works great with all three phones and easy to setup. Everything is right there and easy to use. Love the blind spot indicators in side view mirrors. The CX-5 handles like a car and easy to drive. The motor is a little slow but likes to rev. On vacation got 32.6 mpg, averaged 56 mph. Driving 80mph and still was getting 30mpg. Love the CX-5."

Previous | 1 ... 3 4 5 | Next