2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,753 - $21,326.

10/8.3

Based on 149 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

This car makes driving fun again!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Good value, fuel efficient, roomy, nimble driving"

Cons: "Mainly lack-luster and impersonal interior design"

"This is a great car to drive! It's quick to pick-up speed when you need it to. The steering is right-on and the handling is quite nimble - you almost forget that you're not driving a coupe/sedan. It does not drive like an SUV/CUV at all. Freeway driving is smooth. This car will make you want to drive more. Fuel efficiency is close to advertised numbers - but, keep in mind that I am reviewing the GT AWD trim. Still, I feel 29-30mpg is quite acceptable for the size of the car. Another nice feature is that it takes normal 87 octane gasoline; no need to break the bank just for a Sunday afternoon cruise. I did not purchase the "Technology Package" as the features didn't really align with my priorities and lifestyle. Still, the GT comes packed with standard tech features like: Blind Spot monitoring, HD & Satellite (SIRIUS) radio, Bose speakers throughout, multi-position moonroof, cruise control, Tire Pressure Monitoring and rear back-up camera to name a few. For me, this is "enough-tech". For a smallish family, this is the perfect sized car. I manged to fit 2 adults, 2 children with booster seats, a medium dog kennel and some travel bags comfortably. On another trip, I packed in 4 adults comfortably - with 2 bigger guys in the back seat (one guy is 6'6") without complaints of head or leg space. Multiple snowboards traveled inside the vehicle thanks to the 40/20/40 seat folding positions. As much as I love my new car, there are a few things that I've been reluctant to pick-out as inconveniences, design flaws or frustrations. The first being the flimsy moonroof shade. It feels thin and does little to dampen the road noise when closed. Another thing that bugs me is the aesthetics (or lack there) of the instrument panel. This could be just my tastes and opinions, but I feel it's very plain and lacks integration. I've seen better displays on base model Nissan Altima's. Keeping with nit-picking on aesthetics, I wished Mazda had been just as bold with their interior designs as they did with their exterior. The whole center area is very minimal and sorry to say, boring. The orange-y LED and back lighting make the instruments panel feel dated and almost out of place. Lastly, I would like to complain about the shortness of the center console. It is short and length, height and depth. I find myself having to lean in toward the center to make use of the center console. My wife who is about 5 inches shorter also has the same complaint. Although, it is deep and houses the USB and AUX ports, I just wished it was a tad higher and wee bit longer. With that being said, I am extremely happy with my purchase. The vehicle is perfect the lifestyle and family size that I have. The car looks great, is fun to drive and has everything that I need for a great driving experience. My advice would be, if you can afford it - spring for the Grand Touring trim, it's worth the price and you get more value for your money! Zoom - Zoom!"

So happy with my choice

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "Everything about this vehicle"

Cons: "That I did not purchase a Mazda earlier"

"Living in the metro Detroit area you drive a car from the big three. Well, sure am glad that I opened my eyes and took a look around for a change. This SUV is really fun, sporty and way beyond my expectations. I look back at the many vehicles I have purchased in the past and I think " boring, excessive maintenance etc." This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned."

Love My Mazda

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Sips gas, great Mazda quality, nice to drive"

Cons: "Less powerful engine"

"This is the 3rd Mazda we have owned (RX7, MX6, now CX5) & like all the others, it is fun to drive. More nimble & sporty, like a car, than our Murano, which feels heavy & stiff to me now. I will say the Murano has a few more luxury features, but I don't feel like I'm doing without in the Mazda. It sips the gas! Great for a family of four with enough legroom for our growing tweens. I would definitely recommend this vehicle. Some may prefer more engine power, but it is perfect for me. We waited for the Grand Touring version to become available last year and I'm glad we waited."

First Impression - Excellent!

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Styling, Quality Materials, Handling, Value"

Cons: "Noisy on Cold Starts."

"2015 Grand Touring with the Technology Package. We've only had the CX-5 for a month or two. We love it! It has looks up there with the Luxury brands. It handles like a dream. The fit and finish is excellent. We've driven it on one long trip (500+ miles each way) and found it very comfortable and roomy. It's noisy for the first 20-30 seconds on cold start, due to the exhaust recirculation feature that i guess lowers emissions (pumps the fuel-rich exhaust back into the engine for a re-burn, or something like that). Otherwise it is very quiet! We had a 2008 CR-V which we have since given to our college age daughter. This car is way better looking, inside and out, with a much more updated and richly appointed interior. It also gets better mileage. If it's as reliable as the CR-V, Mazda will have a real winner on their hands!"

Fun to drive and great MPG!

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Pros: "MPG, exterior/interior design, Skyactive Tech"

Cons: "Can't think of any"

"This is a well-designed vehicle. It drives nice, handles amazing, and is comfortable. I have a Sport model with AWD, so it is the smaller 2.0 liter engine. I really enjoy having a versatile AWD vehicle that gets 31 mpg on the highway. I value a vehicle that has a low cost-to-own, so I can care less if it can do 0 to 60 in under X seconds. I notice some people have commented that they wish this particular engine had more horsepower. To me, the acceleration is just fine; I have no problem getting quickly up to speed on the highway. Why would anyone need anything more than adequate acceleration for a crossover anyways? If there is such a thing as "crossover racing," I've never heard of it. If you are looking to save some initial cost and a little gas money, then I think you will be happy with the Sport trim."