• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,912 - $21,309.

10/8.3

Based on 113 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Can't beat it!

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pros: "Styling, interior quality/layout, MPG, handling"

Cons: "Would like touch-handle entry, lumbar adjustment."

"I have had the gray AWD Touring model CX5 for 2 months and driven in 7 snow storms already! Traded in an '09 Mazda6, which I loved, due to longer commute in Utah winters and a steep driveway the 6 couldn't get up in snow. After test driving the Subaru Crosstrek and Kia Sportage, chose the CX5 because of its eye-catching sportier styling, high-quality interior finishes, and how it handles on the road. The interiors of the other two I drove felt cheap in comparison, and the Crosstrek was much nosier on accelaration, and more sluggish. I love the CX5 so far! I average 31mpg on a 60 mile commute at 65mph. I have absolutely no problem getting through heavy snow, even on steep inclines. I traded in 272 hp for this, as well as the luxury features (leather, rain-sensing wipers, touch-handle entry). But the trade off was worth it because I feel safer in the bad weather, and I prefer the size of the CX5 better. For the hp, it accelerates just fine to highway speeds, has fantastic braking, and handles the road wonderfully. I didn't want to pay 4K more for the Grand Touring because I preferred cloth, and you still get plenty for the money. There are automatic daytime running lights (just not the full set of headlights).I have no issue with blind spots and rely soley on the side-view mirrors and BSM system for excellent view of the other lanes. I watched plenty of YouTube videos and read as many critic and consumer reviews as I could find, which helped with my decision. I added black (with silver accent) rims and love it!"

Car and Driver operating as one unit

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Smooth shift, great takeoff, comfort."

Cons: "no all around camera"

"This SUV/CUV feels amazing in the handling. In the business I am in I can drive whatever I want, And the way this SUV handles and accelerates is nothing shy of AMAZING! I couldnt believe this was a 4 cylinder.. upon some research I found that SKYACTIV engines are the secret to this unique performance. the car apparently runs at a 13:1 combustion ration which is the same ratio as a race car, no honda or toyota comes anywhere close. As kids we used to put headers on our cars and alter the engine to make them faster, NO need here because it already has one.. I am in sheer amazement at how this car drives and handles. CRV was nice but I will not be going back to the CRV with its confused feeling CVT transmission."

FUN, Affordable, Great MPGs, Best in class

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Like all Mazdas, well balance -"

Cons: "Blue Tooth"

"3800 miles so far and I'm happy with the purchase, Avg. 420 miles on a tank with mix driving. The 2.5 L. motor is the way to go, good wide torque curve, and one of the smoothest Transmissions I’ve own. This is by far the MX5 of small SUVs. Test Drive one and take it around some turns, there is enough drivers feed back to make you think that you are driving something smaller like a Mazda 3. My only CON. With it so far is the Radio; Hopefully Mazda will upgrade it like the 2014 Mazda 3. Its not sound quality, more of its Blue tooth firmware updates that need to be address. It works/ it doesn’t work. Tom Tom Nav. Just OK. Other than that the perfect affordable small SUV that is reliable, good on the wallet, and most important to me, enough Driver feed back to make me feel confident on every turn I take."

best vehicle ever

By on Friday, July 13, 2012

Pros: "great price,fun to drive,wife loves it"

"owned 1500 miles really like vehicle gets 32mpg on highway and 29 avg. just like they said it would, handles great ,rides great, quiet, no problems, really nice dealer"

Very well designed,excellent city/ highway avg mpg

By on Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, outstanding design, suberb mpg"

Cons: "No option for automatic lift hatch"

"I have owned this Mazda CX 5 for about 3 months and have been very impressed with the overall quality and outstanding driving characteristics. The CX 5 handles and feels very nimble, much like a sports car. I do a lot of in town and highway driving and this CX 5 averages almost 31 mpg. This is a very high average for non-hybrid models. On long highway trips I often get 34-35 mpg with an automatic transmission. This is a great, roomy, versatile crossover that gently sips fuel."

See if you qualify for