2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,775 - $21,220.

10/8.3

Based on 114 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Best Vehicle so far

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Cons: "wish it had the wipers that come on when it rains."

"For the past 15 years I have owned Mazda's. You name the model, I bought it. I have never been dissatified with this vehicle. I will probably die owning a Mazda. My new Mazda is wonderful on gas. On a recent trip, highway milage was 30mpg. In town, 27 to 28mpg. The money I have saved in fuel charges has made up for the purchase of the vehicle. My 2013 CX5 I bought just when it came out. Love Mazda, Love my Dealership, Love my car."

Best vehicle value in its class

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "31 MPG on an AWD is crazy."

Cons: "the gas tank popper is in a bad spot."

"I needed an awd or 4x4 that would go in the winter but could also handle my 3hr round trip daily commute. And my AWD sport (low trim) does both while avg 30.9MPG! My commute is even enjoyable with my comfy cloth seats, comfy ride, low blind spots, Bluetooth and sound system. Speaking of blind spots, The thing I love most about my AWD sport is that you have nearly no blind spots. The mirrors are perfectly shaped to give you a nice view of everything. This vehicle really feels like you're driving a car half its size."

Looks good, drives better and highly useful!!

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Great value for price, fun to drive, looks great"

Cons: "Nothing significant"

"Bottom Line Up Front: I bought my 2014 Soul Red Metallic Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring at the end of May and couldn't be happier with it! It looks great, drives wonderfully and is exceeding the advertised MPG ratings. Why did I buy this car? My family moved to South Dakota this past December and didn't own a car with AWD. Our cars were FWD and had always done fine in snow...on relatively level ground. However, our new house is at the top of a hill. After getting stuck in the snow and having to walk up the hill to the house one too many times, we decided to pursue a car with AWD before next winter. Much research and test driving ensued. We looked at the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Subaru Outback and Forester as well as the Mazda CX-5. Test drove them all multiple times before settling on the Mazda. Comparing the safety ratings, fuel economy, cargo capacity, etc. the cars all come out fairly similarly. In my opinion, the main differentials were looks and driving style. The CX-5 has the sleekest lines in its class and is far and away the most fun of the cars we tested to drive. It felt much more nimble and agile than the others and now it's in my garage. Mazda advertises 24 MPG city and 30 MPG highway for the AWD CX-5 with the bigger engine. I've yet to drive a full tank of gas on just a road trip, but I'm averaging 28-29.5 MPG combined driving around town and small stints on the interstate over the past six weeks. So, I'm very pleased with those results. The mileage definitely decreases going uphill, more than I would've thought. But, what goes up must come down, and this balances out with elevation changes on a round trip. Also, the owner's manual states that the MPG will really start to decrease over 60 MPH. So far, though, it seems to me like the point where the mileage really starts to drop is over 70 MPH. On level ground at 70 MPH I'm still getting 30+ MPG, but it goes down as the speed/RPMs increase above 70 MPH. Interior-wise, the car is very comfortable. The leather breathes well and doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer heat (at least so far) as I thought it might. The only competitor vehicle that I thought had a slightly better ergonomically laid out cockpit/better use of interior space was the Honda CR-V, but the CX-5 was a very close second. All the controls are easy to reach and operate, space is well-utilized and the instruments are easy to read. The black interior does show dirt fairly easily, but it also cleans up quite easily as well with minimal effort. In summary, if you are in the market for a small SUV, then I highly recommend the Mazda CX-5. It has great safety ratings, has fuel economy ratings at the top of the class (and is exceeding them so far in my experience), is comfortable and fun to drive and looks great. Buy with confidence!!"

Great looking but needs work

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Looks, seats, blind spot monitor, rearview camera"

Cons: "Armrests uncomfortable for tall drivers, stereo"

"I own a 2014 Touring FWD CX-5. The new engine is a big improvement over the 2013 - smooth with good power. Fit and finish are excellent with comfortable cloth seats. I love the blind spot monitor and the rearview camera - great safety enhancements. The are a few problems though that take a lot away from this car: the driver's door window ledge is at a right angle rather than rounded like most vehicles and is not well-padded making it extremely uncomfortable to rest left arm while driving, which being 6'1" is where my elbow would rest. Similarly, the center console/armrest is too low and not well-padded, making resting your right arm/elbow difficult. The base stereo speakers are awful - much worse than stock speakers on other cars I've owned. The projector headlights bounce far more than other cars and are distracting. The CX-5 is great looking, but needs work."

Road Noise

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Fuel Economy, it is a great driving small SUV"

Cons: "Road noise, road noise, hood shakes"

"There is a great deal of road noise on this vehicle at highway speeds, particularly with concrete pavement (Interstates). In April I test drove the CX 5 and 4 other comparable SUVs, all the others (little to no road noise) were driven on the Interstate (dealers in the area) the only one not driven on the Interstate was the Mazda, my fault. The noise appears to be coming out of the rear wheel well area. I spend quite a bit of time on the Interstates for my job and the noise is constant. Friends say "just turn up the radio", but that’s not a solution. Both Consumer Reports and Popular Mechanics magazines have made it a point in their reviews to mention the "noise issue", wish I had read them first. The decision to purchase was based on my need to improve fuel economy, the looks and how the vehicle physically drove. (all of these are great) But I have regretted my purchase since the 1st road trip. Either a financial loss is taken by trading / selling it or I do something about it. So I have driven with the local dealer's lead Mazda mechanic, who said that it does appear that the noise is coming from the wheel wells and that the noise is acceptable, but referred me to the Service Manager. The Service Manager and the Mazda Regional Manager drove it and it was reported back to me by the Service Manager that the Regional said that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and that was it. The SM said he would contact the Sales Dept to see if they would cover an undercoating for the wheel wells. Still waiting….. to hear back. If I don’t hear back then I will pay for something to lessen the “noise”. Of my last 5 vehicle purchases the CX 5 is the only one to have this issue."

Very good

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Grips road great, nothing cheap, reliable so far"

Cons: "Not enough pickup (but great gas mileage makes up)"

"Have had this car for 7 months and glad to have purchased. Fun to drive, no problems so far! WILL UPDATE! Since 15,000 doesn't say much about reliability I will be checking back in!"

Should have bought an Encore

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pros: "Good gas milage."

Cons: "Road Noise, Road Noise, Road Noise"

"Road noise is excessive. Changed tires from Yokohama Geoearths to Michelin Defenders. No change. If you want a quiet ride, do not chose the CX-5 Touring. Test drive was on smooth roads, no doubt chosen by the dealer. My error in not requiring freeway testing. My Nissan truck is quieter. Good gas milage. Additionally, it does not have an oil or temp gage. Have to start the car to turn on the radio.Push button start.Back-up camera and blind spot alarms are nice. In other words, should have purchased a Buick Encore. Detroit has a better handle on quietness than the Japanese. Honda CRV is no better."

I really like my CX-5!

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"I have had it for a year now and I have no complaints. My previous vehicle was a van, so I was used to a lot of room. In the back seat of the CX-5 there is not a lot of room. I have two children and one is still in a car seat. If you have three people in the back it is pretty tight. I would recommend this vehicle to a smaller family. Also, the back has a good amount of cargo space. Even though it is a 4-cyl it still has enough power for me. I get almost 30 mpg. I do a lot of stop and go travel. I definitely would recommend the CX-5."

Love it so far!

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles nicely, roomy for this size"

Cons: "Interior shows dirt terribly, not all that plush"

"I purchased the 2014 Touring, I went to purchase a 2013 Sport, but when I arrived at the dealership I was given some bizzare explanation about how they couldn't sell the 2013 because their incentives from Mazda were about to run out....it felt a little like a bait & switch, but I really liked the vehicle. I've got less than 500 miles but I'm averaging 28 plus MPG back and forth to work-Shenandoah Valley of VA, so will get to really test out the AWD in the winter. It is tons of fun to drive, I went from an 11 year old V-6 Jeep Liberty to this, so there is a ton of difference. While I was used to more power, the CX-5 is peppy enough and the gas mileage really does make up for it. I didn't think I'd ever use the bluetooth since I'm not very tech oriented, but I have set it up and used it a few times so it might come in handy. The backup camera is nice for parking in tight spaces but you can get almost to that point if you know how to drive with your mirrors anyway. I feel like I got a fair price on what I purchased and if it lasts me 10 years without any major issues, I will be pleased."

I absolutely love this car!

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "awesome to drive! beautiful inside and out"

Cons: "no heated seats was kind of a bummer"

"This is my first brand new car. I test drove Kia, Hyundai, which were nice, but the car dealers were brutal! My friend at the Mazda dealership knew exactly what I was looking for and had the car out front for me when I arrived the next day. I test drove it, and knew this was the car for me. it drives like a dream. I love the push button start, and bluetooth feature. it is so quiet, I didnt realize I had gotten out of the car without turning the engine off, and was thankful that it would not allow me to lock the door without turning the car off. Its a beautiful midnight blue with tan interior. I would definately buy another Mazda when the time comes!"

2013 CX-5: Grinning

By on Monday, May 06, 2013

Pros: "Great value; drives like a dream"

Cons: "Bluetooth needs a little work to upload contacts"

"Needed to upgrade from my two-seat truck to a vehicle with more passenger room to shuttle kids around, and also to head up to the mountains and hold kids and camping gear. My previous vehicles were all pretty basic so I also wanted some upgrades (Bluetooth being the biggest). I really like manual transmissions, however only the Sport model had it and only in FWD - non-starter here in CO. I test drove the AWD Touring model, and immediately smiled when they showed me the "manual" mode. It's the best of both worlds - Automatic for city driving, manual for mountain roads. Still early, but it has plenty of pep when asked for. The Bluetooth package is pretty good, though it has a few bugs - it only picked up about 1/3 of my phones contacts - found an app for my phone to fix it though, so that was a little disappointing. Other than that, it was really easy to pair my phone to the car. The Navigation package and moon roof are nice extras. The Bose speakers are a nice perk too (Kashmir by Led Zeppelin sounds really good). I love the blind spot monitor and the rear view monitor (especially with kids around the neighborhood). Overall, it drives like a car with the utility and space of a larger SUV. Absolutely the right mix for me plus a few extras that make it a blast to drive."

Great Vehicle

By on Monday, May 06, 2013

Pros: "handeling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Navigation doesn't hear voice commands accurately"

"Proud owners of a new 2013 Mazda CX-5. We have logged 400+ miles in the last week and are very pleased. Probably the greatest features for us have been the handeling and the gas mileage. The seats don't seem to be the most comfortable however we haven't found a newer vehicle that has comfortable seats. Looked in a couple of stores for the 0w-20 synthetic oil and only found 2 quarts! Looks like we will have to use the dealership for oil changes which will mean $$$$$$."

Looking for a Mazda 6 but bought the CX-5

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "Great drive, peppy engine, and great design"

Cons: "Navigation not included on Touring Package"

"Went to Mazda looking to buy a Mazda 6 that would replace my Nissan Altima that my son inherited. I have always wanted to own a Mazda but never could convince my wife to go look at them. Finally got her on the lot and she instantly started looking at the CX-5 and loved it. I did not realize the 2014 models were on lots and knew that the new model had the 2.5 liter 185 horse engine that is shared with the Mazda 6. Once I convinced the wife to get the Touring instead of the Sport edition I was stoked. Never driven a CUV that drives like a sporty car. This CUV does. The drive is what won me over and the wife liked the design. Every car/SUV has it's shortcomings and this is no exception. Navigation should be on the Touring but you have to buy the Tech package or pay $700 more for it. I also am not a fan of the center console air vents. They need to be a touch higher on the dash. At 6'1" the air hits me under the chin instead of blowing directly in my face. I love the design and the drive. The dash materials also impress me and I like how Mazda throws in a splash of stainless steel to accent certain parts of the vehicle. Seating is high so you get a good look at the road and the CUV does not have a blind spot like my older SUV does. Overall I am very pleased with this CUV and compared it to the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4, and Ford Excape and prefer it over all of them. I hope to get 10+ years out of this neat little CUV."

Best small CUV on the market

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "pleasure to drive."

Cons: "GPS system voice recognizition is "iffy""

"I researched and drove many of the other small CUVs on the market - Chev, Ford, Honda, Toyota - my opinion, the CX-5 is by far the best. I own the "14" GT with Touring package, the majority of my driving is city - about 80% city and 20% hway. MPG over 1,500 miles is 30.1 - not just from the trip computer but using the "old fashioned" method (miles traveled/gal). The vehicle is well built, no rattles or other distracting noises. Accl. is smooth and exceeds expectations for a 2.5 4-cyl. Seating is comfortable."

What's not to like? This car almost has it all!

By on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pros: "Great value, fun to drive, great car!"

"Some may think it's a little premature to review a vehicle after only about 200 miles, but this car is great! I've been researching this car and the competition since before the CX-5 was even available. Bought the 2014 Grand Touring w/Technical Package. Got a great deal, and the salesman/dealership were fantastic to work with. Traded-in a 1991 Mazda, so not too concerned with long-term reliability of a Mazda. Also have a 2004 Mazda (133,000 mi) that has been no trouble at all. The CX-5 drives like a dream; handles very well, and according to the on-board computer, mileage ratings are right-on (so far). Haven't had to fill-up yet, so can't do an actual calculation. It rides nice and is very comfortable. The voice-controlled Bluetooth works well. Just haven't found anything to complain about this car. I do think the cargo cover should be standard on the Grand Touring, but I got the dealer to throw it into the deal. I'll try to come back with a new review in about 6 months or so, but for now, if you're looking for a small SUV, you need to try the CX-5."

Mazda has a hit with the CX-5

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

Pros: "design, driveability, amenities"

Cons: "none so far"

"We've had several Mazdas, including a Miata, and three Mazda 3s. The CX-5 is really a grand vehicle. Well built, drives like Mazdas do and we have the Grand Touring so all the equipment makes it even better. No complaints at all. We have about 400 miles on it, Soul Red and with all the bells and whistles it was a perfect purchase."

Fun to drive and great MPG!

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Pros: "MPG, exterior/interior design, Skyactive Tech"

Cons: "Can't think of any"

"This is a well-designed vehicle. It drives nice, handles amazing, and is comfortable. I have a Sport model with AWD, so it is the smaller 2.0 liter engine. I really enjoy having a versatile AWD vehicle that gets 31 mpg on the highway. I value a vehicle that has a low cost-to-own, so I can care less if it can do 0 to 60 in under X seconds. I notice some people have commented that they wish this particular engine had more horsepower. To me, the acceleration is just fine; I have no problem getting quickly up to speed on the highway. Why would anyone need anything more than adequate acceleration for a crossover anyways? If there is such a thing as "crossover racing," I've never heard of it. If you are looking to save some initial cost and a little gas money, then I think you will be happy with the Sport trim."

What Am I Missing?

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "looks nice outside"

Cons: "interior does not look like it will stand up"

"Did the KBB staff review the same car that I tried out? I found the driver's seat to be cramped and the interior to look really cheap. The seat cloth looks very thin and not durable. I think Mazda needs to spend some money on the interior to keep up with the competition. Sure the car looks nice outside, but I couldn't stand hearing rattling plastic when I hit road bumps/small potholes in the test drive."

Good car , but the worst dealerships’ structure

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

I don't own this car

"I really wanted to buy this car, but here in South Florida I couldn't find a single decent dealer with a good customer service to give me a reasonable buying experience and I wasn't really impressed with the dealers structure... One of the Reps even told me that he wouldn’t give any price or test drive until I “was ready to buy the CX-5” – after I had told him that I was deciding between 4 different brands… (He just made my decision easier…). It is a shame, but Mazda needs to invest in training and education for their sales force (+ a facelift on its dealerships’ appearance). I ended up buying a Ford Escape… (just like getting married, you need to look into yours bride’s family as well…)"

great mileage, spiffy looks, great handling

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "too numerous to mention"

Cons: "Wish the driver's seat had a memory setting."

"I love this car. We purchased the 2014 version with the larger engine (184 hp) and the Grand Touring Package along with a few other bells and whistles. The smaller engine seems a little unpowered since we drive to Tahoe often. The mileage estimates have been right on (24,30) for the all-wheel drive. I find the seating very comfortable and car handles much like a sports car. It is a pleasure to drive and we have received a number of compliments on the appearance. This is my 6th Mazda as well as owning many other vehicles. I sold my 2003 Lexus RX300 to purchase the CX-5 and find it has many features and safety upgrades not on the Lexus. Love the blind spot monitoring, sound system as well as the navigation system. To date, no problems and don't anticipate any."

Best in class

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "I love the way it rides, handles and looks."

Cons: "Interior materials and controls."

"We really liked the ride, pep, mpg and utility of the CX-5. Ours is loaded with all the options plus we're adding cross bars, trailer hitch and rear parking sensors. We've only had it for a week but so far we love it. Only complaint would be the quality of the interior; it could be nicer, better quality materials and controls, etc."

Update to driver from Salt Lake City

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "Just a great car, test drive one before you decide"

"Well after 2,600 miles everything is going great. The performance is better after the 2,000 mile mark. No problems to date. The last three gas fill-ups used 33 gallons with 921 miles driven, 27.9 miles per gallon in mixed city/highway. This car is very tight and drives like a dream on the highway. I really like the blind spot monitor system and the center rear seat fold down is handy for long items. For you owners with the automatic I found that by shifting to Neutral and pressing the engine off button the radio/blue tooth says on. Then shift into park and you can finish the phone call or radio until you exit. Just push the engine run button twice to completely turn off the car. Added body side molding that is paint color matched, ordered from web site for $125 and installed myself, very easy to do. Also if you deal on this car, get dealer to throw in winter floor mats and rear cargo mat to close deal. Well worth the money."

Tried out, but did not buy

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Nice looks and decent pick up"

Cons: "Costly to get desirable features."

"The lower models are priced decently, but you hit close to $30,000 to get some really desirable ones. Decent small SUV, but make sure you sit in the back seat too. Kids have no problem getting out of the back seat, but the wheel wells are so far forward that an adult has to twist around them to get out. Also, Mazda removed the engine temperature gauge from the dashboard display. I asked the dealer where it went and he said they removed it to save money and replaced it with a trouble light that will turn on if the engine gets too hot. I haven't driven a car without an engine temperature gauge on the dashboard in over 30 years, so this is a step backwards that they should change back."

Perfect for my needs. 2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pros: "MPG, handles like a sedan, simple but high tech"

Cons: "Who forgot to put a light in the rear cargo area?"

"I love my Mazda! I've worked with a car rental company and have driven pretty much all the competition. I love the interior. It's simple, clean, and high tech without a million touch buttons like the new Ford Escape. (my Dad always said, "Keep it simple, Stupid.") I get MPG in the mid 20's around town and in the low 30's on the highway. The blind spot monitors, rear view camera, and bluetooth have already been life savers. The standard sound system in the Touring has been impressive as well (I get much better sound quality through my mp3 player than the radio). The handling really is awesome. It corners like a sporty sedan. The steering feels great and there isn't any tire squeal if you have to make a fast left turn (Who doesn't go faster to make a yellow turn signal?). This SUV is silent around turns my old Corolla would be squealing through. The AWD has been surefooted in the snow as well. The inside really is bigger than it looks from the outside. I'm 6'2" and fit comfortably (but a person needs to be shorter to sit comfortably behind me). There's tons of room for cargo with the seats down. I just moved a washing machine with plenty of room to spare. I love the materials and layout but my only dislike is about the interior lighting. Who forgot to put a light in the rear cargo area? Everything else is awesome except that it can be hard to see your cargo in the dark. If you fold the seats down, the light over the middle seats is enough to see the back. That said, I love my Mazda. Its a nearly perfect machine that's perfect for my needs :)"

Great car - with two issues

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, attractive, roomy"

Cons: "Underpowered, headrests not designed for women"

"This is my third Mazda and I LOVE IT! It's comfortable to drive, handles very well and gets great gas mileage for an SUV. It's an attractive vehicle inside and out and the dog loves riding in the back! I do have two issues with it though. It's underpowered. Not by a whole lot, but when you're used to driving a manual, small car - it's an adjustment. I had an intake installed and the power boost is great. Also, the head rest clearly wasn't designed for a woman. By that I mean, it's uncomfortable to wear my hair up and sit in the car. I've tried adjusting it every which way. I think I finally have it right - I tilt the seat back ever so slightly when I have my hair up. I know it's silly, but you have to live with a car choice for a long time and ladies need the facts."