2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,753 - $21,326.

10/8.3

Based on 148 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

best vehicle ever

By on Friday, July 13, 2012

Pros: "great price,fun to drive,wife loves it"

"owned 1500 miles really like vehicle gets 32mpg on highway and 29 avg. just like they said it would, handles great ,rides great, quiet, no problems, really nice dealer"

Car drives great

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, great steering, great look"

Cons: "placement of time on dashboard"

"Just bought the 2015 maxda cx-5 touring trim. I test drove many vehicles and it came down to this vehicle driving the smoothest, along with high quality steering control, interior and exterior design, and sound system. For a compact SUV this vehicle gets very good MPG. Also, the cars steering control was by far the most outstanding feature i liked with this car. The steering makes you feel like you have full control without the tipping feeling off a sharp turn that I felt with most other makes for compact SUVs. The one thing i think needs to be worked on is the dashboard. The dashboard is very nice, but the placement of the time is a little low and forces you to take your eyes off the road when looking at the time. Overall the rest of the dashboard is nice, it is not over the edge in technology which i liked. Also the trunk is a pretty ideal size, I am a skier and a snowboarded and i did not need a roof rack because the middle seat can go down and you can still fit 4 people in the car on the way to a trip without feeling crammed. I also sat in the back seat just to see how my guests would feel, and the leg room is perfect. I am 6' and had more than enough leg room with my driver seat pushed back all the way."

I absolutely love this car!

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "awesome to drive! beautiful inside and out"

Cons: "no heated seats was kind of a bummer"

"This is my first brand new car. I test drove Kia, Hyundai, which were nice, but the car dealers were brutal! My friend at the Mazda dealership knew exactly what I was looking for and had the car out front for me when I arrived the next day. I test drove it, and knew this was the car for me. it drives like a dream. I love the push button start, and bluetooth feature. it is so quiet, I didnt realize I had gotten out of the car without turning the engine off, and was thankful that it would not allow me to lock the door without turning the car off. Its a beautiful midnight blue with tan interior. I would definately buy another Mazda when the time comes!"

great mileage, spiffy looks, great handling

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "too numerous to mention"

Cons: "Wish the driver's seat had a memory setting."

"I love this car. We purchased the 2014 version with the larger engine (184 hp) and the Grand Touring Package along with a few other bells and whistles. The smaller engine seems a little unpowered since we drive to Tahoe often. The mileage estimates have been right on (24,30) for the all-wheel drive. I find the seating very comfortable and car handles much like a sports car. It is a pleasure to drive and we have received a number of compliments on the appearance. This is my 6th Mazda as well as owning many other vehicles. I sold my 2003 Lexus RX300 to purchase the CX-5 and find it has many features and safety upgrades not on the Lexus. Love the blind spot monitoring, sound system as well as the navigation system. To date, no problems and don't anticipate any."

Good car but over-rated.

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, front and rear leg room."

Cons: "noisy ride, bad stereo, rear seat won't recline"

"I bought a 2014 cx-5 Touring model after reading a comparison between it and three other new models. The Mazda beat out the other cars handily so when I test drove it I didn't pay enough attention to the car. First thing I noticed after I bought it was how awful the stereo sounded. I can't remember owning a car with a stereo that sounded so bad that I didn't even want to listen to music! I should have upgraded to the Bose sound system. The blue tooth works well enough but there again, when I talk on the phone, it sounds like the other person is in a box. Another major annoyance was that sales person told me that I could get up to 35 miles per gallon in it. I made a trip from Texas to Minnesota and back driving the speed limit with the cruise control on. The best mileage I could get was 30 mpg and most of the time just about 28 mpg! Not bad gas mileage but nowhere near what the sales people were telling me. The Toyota Sienna that I traded in for this car was a much better car for family vacation. Much quieter, more room and gas mileage was still about 25 mpg. I wish the Mazda had more storage compartments and that the back seat would recline. My kids could never get comfortable in the back. How hard would that have been to make? The road noise was also pretty bad. Other things are the clock is hard to read and the space behind the back seat is small. I guess it's about as good as it gets for now in the compact suv segment. Don't get me wrong. There are many good features like all the air bags, back up camera, power drivers seat and the blue tooth connectivity. I also like the push button start but wish that you could unlock the door from a button on the outside of the car. I would still recommend the car to a friend but it's not the car I thought I was buying."

Oh, the transmission

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Pros: "great interior, good sound system, gas mileage"

Cons: "ride, transmission, acceleration"

"If you do plan to purchase this car, I recommend going with a newer model (not the first couple production lines). I got this car BRAND new. There were few at the dealerships at the time. I LOVE the interior, and the overall design is nice for sure. However, this car is a slug on acceleration. Even getting onto a freeway on-ramp is quite challenging. Passing other cars? Forget it. Also, I've had some significant trouble with the transmission. Several months ago, I was going up a hill and some electronic controls took over. The car raced to 4000 rpm and wouldn't go faster than about 5 or 10 mph. I was on a fast-moving road, so cars behind me almost hit me. It was frightening for sure. Then, recently, the gear shifting started getting intermittently loud. I took the car in, and they cannot identify anything wrong. I've owned several cars in years past, so I know something is not right. Now, I get it. Not every car is representative of the whole fleet. But I do have to still express caution at all this."

Love my 2014 CX5 GT

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Handling, interior layout, safety features, mpg,"

Cons: "Road noise"

"We bought our 2014 CX5 GT a little over a month ago. We have no regrets. It is everything that the brochure says and more. We test drove several other vehicles and the Mazda won hands down. The car is a joy to drive. It handles like a sports car and has more safety features than you can cover in this blog. We chose this car due to those safety features and the great handling we felt during the test drives. We have driven it a little over 2000 miles and have been pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage. It has exceeded our expectations. So far it has averaged over 28 mpg in city driving and has gotten a little over 30 mpg on the highway, and much of that at over 75 mph. That is by my figuring and not the on-board computer. The only negative so far has been the amount of road noise on some surfaces at high speed. I noted that others complained about it, but it is not intolerable nor is it present on all surfaces. This may have more to do with the tire selection than the vehicle itself and I plan on researching tires when it is time to replace these. Overall we are still thrilled with our purchase and would recommend this vehicle to others looking for a reasonably priced car with great features."

Still new but so far great.

By on Friday, July 13, 2012

Pros: "Outstanding ride and handling. Nice styling."

Cons: "Not easy to shut off engine when at a stop."

"Nearly everything about this car blows the competition away. Sure the acceleration is not quite as good as other SUV's but I don't need a race car or high gas bills. The ride"

I Love my Mazda CX5 Grand Touring

By on Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage, stereo system, TomTom, everything!"

Cons: "Gets a lot of fingerprints on smooth surfaces!"

"I've had my CX5 for almost two months now. I wish it had a little more horsepower but then again that might get me in trouble! As the other reviewers have said it is more like a sports car and I feel the same. I'm a very picky person and one thing I do not like about the interior is the smooth finishes along the console and the radio/navigation. The smooth areas where you touch leave fingerprints and I hate fingerprints. Really the horsepower and smooth surfaces are little things compared to the 26mpg that I am currently getting in town. The stereo system is awesome except when I had the sunroof open, I couldn't hear the stereo! So I had to get the sunroof visor. Once the visor was installed no more problem with the noises and I can hear my stereo!!! I just love the look and feel of my CX5!!! I've had a lot of compliments. When I was searching for my new car I wanted something smaller then the 3rd row seating I had and a little better gas mileage. I tried the Juke and it had no power seats??? And no spare!! I tried the Soul and the same, no power seats and no spare. The thing was they wanted about the same kind of money that the Mazda Grand Touring was. Once I tried the CX5 that's all she wrote!!! DID I TELL YOU???? I LOVE MY CX5!!!!"

So far a joy to drive the Grand Touring

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "Great ride; feels solid and luxe for the price"

Cons: "radio control touchscreen is os so; trunk access"

"We have had ours for 3 weeks now - handles great in the busy city, on a highway with steep hills, and especially nice on some winding country roads I got to drive. On steep highway hills, performed very well for teh most part, especially in cruise control...occasional downshifts around 70-75 mph, but basically rock solid. Heavily loaded down, AWD running about 70-75 mph average 25mpg on hilly highway drive. Fun to drive on curvy West Virginia roads. AWD handled well in slick and steep conditions. Comfortable 5-hour drive as passenger and driver. Blind spot warnign system is really excellent luxe feature, al;eady miss it in my other car. Cargo space is decent...trunk access button seems to be limited to the key fob? Not a huge fan of push button start gimmick, takes some getting used to. Loading trunk in heavy rain, considerable water ran off the car onto me and the trunk when I opened the hatch. Potential buyers should note that if you are interested in the Touring trim and want to add the bose/moonroof package and tech options, it pays to look into the Grand Touring as well - the prices become comparable trading a few options (nav, xenon, brake system) in the touring for others (leather, satellite radio, etc) in the grand touring. Overall really enjoying driving this."

Best Vehicle so far

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Cons: "wish it had the wipers that come on when it rains."

"For the past 15 years I have owned Mazda's. You name the model, I bought it. I have never been dissatified with this vehicle. I will probably die owning a Mazda. My new Mazda is wonderful on gas. On a recent trip, highway milage was 30mpg. In town, 27 to 28mpg. The money I have saved in fuel charges has made up for the purchase of the vehicle. My 2013 CX5 I bought just when it came out. Love Mazda, Love my Dealership, Love my car."

Impressed

By on Friday, June 01, 2012

Pros: "MPG, Handling, Size"

Cons: "Not enough power, Bose speakers"

"Husband and I decided we only needed one car but had a hard time choosing one. We wanted something fuel efficient, dog friendly and would be good for a family. We gave up a Mustang and a Charger for the CX5. We miss the power but can't believe the mpg. I drive in NYC traffic everyday and get over 27 mpg. It handles really well. We have a lot more room in a much much smaller package. Parking is so easy. I won't say I am in love with this car but it is definitely great and I am happy with our choice. This is my first non-American made car and I am truly impressed. This summer we plan to use it to cross the country and I can't wait to see the mpg. My only complaint is that I hate Bose speakers and you are forced to purchase them if you want a moonroof."

Super Fun Daily Driver!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Good Value and Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Lack-luster and impersonal interior design"

"This is a great car to drive! It's quick to pick-up speed when you need it to. The steering is right-on and the handling is quite nimble - you almost forget that you're not driving a coupe/sedan. It does not drive like an SUV/CUV at all. Freeway driving is smooth. This car will make you want to drive more. Fuel efficiency is close to advertised numbers - but, keep in mind that I am reviewing the GT AWD trim. Still, I feel 29-30mpg is quite acceptable for the size of the car. Another nice feature is that it takes normal 87 octane gasoline; no need to break the bank just for a Sunday afternoon cruise. I did not purchase the "Technology Package" as the features didn't really align with my priorities and lifestyle. Still, the GT comes packed with standard tech features like: Blind Spot monitoring, HD & Satellite (SIRIUS) radio, Bose speakers throughout, multi-position moonroof, cruise control, Tire Pressure Monitoring and rear back-up camera to name a few. For me, this is "enough-tech". For a smallish family, this is the perfect sized car. I manged to fit 2 adults, 2 children with booster seats, a medium dog kennel and some travel bags comfortably. On another trip, I packed in 4 adults comfortably - with 2 bigger guys in the back seat (one guy is 6'6") without complaints of head or leg space. Multiple snowboards traveled inside the vehicle thanks to the 40/20/40 seat folding positions. As much as I love my new car, there are a few things that I've been reluctant to pick-out as inconveniences, design flaws or frustrations. The first being the flimsy moonroof shade. It feels thin and does little to dampen the road noise when closed. Another thing that bugs me is the aesthetics (or lack there) of the instrument panel. This could be just my tastes and opinions, but I feel it's very plain and lacks integration. I've seen better displays on base model Nissan Altima's. Keeping with nit-picking on aesthetics, I wished Mazda had been just as bold with their interior designs as they did with their exterior. The whole center area is very minimal and sorry to say, boring. The orange-y LED and back lighting make the instruments panel feel dated and almost out of place. Lastly, I would like to complain about the shortness of the center console. It is short and length, height and depth. I find myself having to lean in toward the center to make use of the center console. My wife who is about 5 inches shorter also has the same complaint. Although, it is deep and houses the USB and AUX ports, I just wished it was a tad higher and wee bit longer. With that being said, I am extremely happy with my purchase. The vehicle is perfect the lifestyle and family size that I have. The car looks great, is fun to drive and has everything that I need for a great driving experience. My advice would be, if you can afford it - spring for the Grand Touring trim, it's worth the price and you get more value for your money! Zoom - Zoom!"

Good car with navigation problem

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "fuel efficient, great design, smooth, BSM!!!"

Cons: "not enough power, tech. problems (GPS sucks)"

"I bought this car in July and I love it. It's very smooth and fuel efficient. However, I noticed that my navigation does not work well. The GPS loses signal every 5 seconds, and keeps rerouting itself. Last time I took a trip to Oregon, in the middle of the road, it detected me in the middle of the ocean. I took it in to the shop to fix it and they said there's a clitch in 2015 Mazda CX5 navigations. Not 2014 but only in 2015 and they are trying to find a solution to fix it. Once they find a solution, only then they will be able to fix my navigation! What the heck? They shouldn't sold me this car in the first place then! This car is perfect for me if it wasn't for this problem and everytime I drive it, I got frustrated by the navigation which impacted my driving experience of this car. This tech-package costed me extra $1500 too. I would advise to check the navigation while test-driving before buying this car."

great car

By on Monday, June 25, 2012

Pros: "great price,great looking car,save money in gas."

Cons: "NONE"

"I went from a BMW 328xi to this nice mazda cx-5 my car payment went down, my MPG went up saving so much money and still have a great looking car a lot of more room ,best decition I have made."

Fantastic vehicle.

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "Driveability"

Cons: "Back up camera screen is a little small."

"To put this in perspective, I'm a 60 year old male who cut his teeth on British cars and still drives a Miata, summers only. Bought my wife a new a new '13 Accord V6 almost two years ago. Fastest production 0-60 fwd car you could by and drives amazing. With that said, I was looking to replace my '03 Kia Sorrento EX 4wd that had been a great little tank, dog and stuff hauler. I really thought I'd replace it with a CRV. I don't drive the Accord often, and as I'm not techy find the Bluetooth confusing to remember. So figured the CRV would be the same layout making it easier to remember. All the reviews I read of the CX5 and CRV all pretty much gave a slight nod to the Mazda, and I figured I could give up the benefits of the Mazda to get the same OS of the Hondas. Until I drove them both. The Honda, though I'm sure is very high quality, is boring as mud to drive. When little old ladies decide to drive small SUV's, this will be their choice. I could detect the difference in the Mazda before I even got out of the parking lot. The difference that I thought would be slight is staggering in how they drive, and the cons I was prepared for never materialized. Engine and road noise in the Mazda are less, and handling isn't even in the same ballpark. To clarify, I bought a white/sand Grand Touring AWD w/ Tech. pkg., and I did purchase the cargo matt (carpeted) which dresses it up a bit, but thought would help with road noise issues I read about. Don't know if that was the cure, but it's quieter than the CRV EX-L. Maybe it's in part the 19" rims, but I think of it more as a sport sedan with lots of storage. I'm 6' tall and very comfortable behind the wheel, and can get in the back seat and not have my head or knees touch anything. Four six footers fit fine. Oddly compared to other comments I find all the tech stuff very intuitive and easy to set up. Wife and I have Androids and they pared up with no issues. To me the Bose is awesome. Even driving in town at a reasonable level drowns out any engine or outside noise. I can't comment on reliability as I've only had the car a week. I'm averaging 25 mpg. For the life of me I can't recognize any higher level of refinement in the CRV over the CX5, although I do think the black interior looks rather cheap while the sand looks straight out of a BMW. This car puts a smile on my face when I drive it and the CRV made me yawn."

Was skeptical but SO glad I bought it

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive and great gas mileage"

"I was between getting a Ford Escape and the Mazda Cx-5- I'm so so glad I bought the Mazda! I test drove both and the Mazda drives as easily as a car, whereas the Escape feels like it's trying to be a baby truck. The things I will mention that I did not know until I went into the dealership were: 1. The tires have nitrogen in them and there is a sensor to let you know if you're low. That's great, except most places don't fill tires with nitrogen. You can put air in them but I don't think the sensor work as well. 2. You do need to put plus gas in the car- I pay about $35 every time I fill up, so that really isn't a big deal for this car. 3. My transmission had to be replaced and the dealership was completely on top of my car and gave me a new CX-5 to drive while mine was being worked on, and they replaced the entire transmission with a new one in four days and it was all covered by warranty. I am currently getting 29.8 miles to the gallon and have get to drop below 29 miles on average. This car is really fun to drive- really zippy! It has great room for passengers in the back. My family is full of large Texas sized men who are over six feet tall and they sit very comfortably in my car. I highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in it! I was bought Ford for years and this was a completely different animal!"

Best vehicle value in its class

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "31 MPG on an AWD is crazy."

Cons: "the gas tank popper is in a bad spot."

"I needed an awd or 4x4 that would go in the winter but could also handle my 3hr round trip daily commute. And my AWD sport (low trim) does both while avg 30.9MPG! My commute is even enjoyable with my comfy cloth seats, comfy ride, low blind spots, Bluetooth and sound system. Speaking of blind spots, The thing I love most about my AWD sport is that you have nearly no blind spots. The mirrors are perfectly shaped to give you a nice view of everything. This vehicle really feels like you're driving a car half its size."

Best small CUV on the market

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "pleasure to drive."

Cons: "GPS system voice recognizition is "iffy""

"I researched and drove many of the other small CUVs on the market - Chev, Ford, Honda, Toyota - my opinion, the CX-5 is by far the best. I own the "14" GT with Touring package, the majority of my driving is city - about 80% city and 20% hway. MPG over 1,500 miles is 30.1 - not just from the trip computer but using the "old fashioned" method (miles traveled/gal). The vehicle is well built, no rattles or other distracting noises. Accl. is smooth and exceeds expectations for a 2.5 4-cyl. Seating is comfortable."

This car makes driving fun again!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Good value, fuel efficient, roomy, nimble driving"

Cons: "Mainly lack-luster and impersonal interior design"

So happy with my choice

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "Everything about this vehicle"

Cons: "That I did not purchase a Mazda earlier"

"Living in the metro Detroit area you drive a car from the big three. Well, sure am glad that I opened my eyes and took a look around for a change. This SUV is really fun, sporty and way beyond my expectations. I look back at the many vehicles I have purchased in the past and I think " boring, excessive maintenance etc." This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned."

Love My Mazda

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Sips gas, great Mazda quality, nice to drive"

Cons: "Less powerful engine"

"This is the 3rd Mazda we have owned (RX7, MX6, now CX5) & like all the others, it is fun to drive. More nimble & sporty, like a car, than our Murano, which feels heavy & stiff to me now. I will say the Murano has a few more luxury features, but I don't feel like I'm doing without in the Mazda. It sips the gas! Great for a family of four with enough legroom for our growing tweens. I would definitely recommend this vehicle. Some may prefer more engine power, but it is perfect for me. We waited for the Grand Touring version to become available last year and I'm glad we waited."

First Impression - Excellent!

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Styling, Quality Materials, Handling, Value"

Cons: "Noisy on Cold Starts."

"2015 Grand Touring with the Technology Package. We've only had the CX-5 for a month or two. We love it! It has looks up there with the Luxury brands. It handles like a dream. The fit and finish is excellent. We've driven it on one long trip (500+ miles each way) and found it very comfortable and roomy. It's noisy for the first 20-30 seconds on cold start, due to the exhaust recirculation feature that i guess lowers emissions (pumps the fuel-rich exhaust back into the engine for a re-burn, or something like that). Otherwise it is very quiet! We had a 2008 CR-V which we have since given to our college age daughter. This car is way better looking, inside and out, with a much more updated and richly appointed interior. It also gets better mileage. If it's as reliable as the CR-V, Mazda will have a real winner on their hands!"

Fun to drive and great MPG!

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Pros: "MPG, exterior/interior design, Skyactive Tech"

Cons: "Can't think of any"

"This is a well-designed vehicle. It drives nice, handles amazing, and is comfortable. I have a Sport model with AWD, so it is the smaller 2.0 liter engine. I really enjoy having a versatile AWD vehicle that gets 31 mpg on the highway. I value a vehicle that has a low cost-to-own, so I can care less if it can do 0 to 60 in under X seconds. I notice some people have commented that they wish this particular engine had more horsepower. To me, the acceleration is just fine; I have no problem getting quickly up to speed on the highway. Why would anyone need anything more than adequate acceleration for a crossover anyways? If there is such a thing as "crossover racing," I've never heard of it. If you are looking to save some initial cost and a little gas money, then I think you will be happy with the Sport trim."

This is an amazing car.

By on Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pros: "luxury, design (great looking car), and drive"

Cons: "none yet."

"This is an amazing car. I have previosuly owned an Acura TL Type S, which was about 42k. I have the Grand Touring with tech package that at 30k has comparible design and luxury elements that is remarkable for the price point (there a quite a few really great features not listed on the website). It is very fuel efficient (info feature shows what mpg I get at every moment) but with a very fast 4 cylinder engine that is quite sporty in the way it drives and handles."