2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,945 - $21,334.

10/8.3

Based on 110 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Great car-chassis suv/crossover

By on Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage, good design"

Cons: "not much pep in first gear"

"This car has been great for us this past year. The 3 way split backseat is handy, dash and steering wheel controls are nicely designed. The alt input, usb plugs and bluetooth were updgrades from my old truck. It is slow to cross roads from stop so don't pop in front of traffic, and it's a bit noisy on the highway. I'm sure to keep it light they put less insulation. But we picked it for mileage first, looks great, and does what we bought it to do. Baby seats fit, but sometimes we had to adjust the front seats forward a bit where we wouldn't otherwise. Might need a larger car later, but it's perfect for us now."

Great all purpose vehicle and fun to drive

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage, reliability, looks"

Cons: "rear seat fold down issues, dust collecting dash"

"I purchased the 2014 touring model at the end of 2014. I drive about 40000 miles per year with most of the miles on the highway. I was considering the CRV and the Ford Escape. I ruled the Escape out when my neighbor told me about 3 long recalls he had. The CRV didn't have the pep or road handling of the CX5 but the back laid down better than the CX5. The gas mileage rating was slightly better than the others and with more power it seemed like a good deal for my long trips and drives in the mountains. Actual mileage is significantly affected by speed around 32 at 65, 30-31 at 70 and around 35 at 55mph. This is likely because of the relatively high profile(wind resistance). When I make many short trips with startups I get about 25mpg. Reliability is great, handling amazing for an SUV and economy very good. I carry a lot of camping gear and it has great cargo space. I like the dark windows in the rear. It cloaks the stuff in the back a bit. The blind spot monitor is great and I like the backup camera, though an backup proximity alarm would be good. I put a rubber mat in the back and really don't notice the road noise people mention. A couple minor items is the top of the dash seems to be a dust magnet and is hard to clean. The passing visibility is ok but could be better. The ride is a bit hard over bumps because of the relatively tight suspension. The back seat cannot fold down when the front seat is fully back and the rear headrests are on. I will look at similar cars in another 2 years but there is a high probability I will buy another CX5"

So Far, So Good!

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "Value for the money, fun to drive, good mileage"

Cons: "Rearward visiblity"

"I knew I wanted to replace my 2011 Mini Cooper with an SUV. I did a lot of shopping/test driving of small SUVs, and eventually came to the conclusion that the CX-5 was the best value for the $$$. I bought a fully loaded AWD GT Tech package version. I bought the Mazda because it is not as common as the RAV4, CRV, Escape & Equinox. I felt that it handled better, looked better, and was overall more fun to drive. My mileage is spot on as to what the EPA estimates are. Also, the AWD system is top notch. It was put to good use over the tough winter of 2014."

GREAT SMALL SUV

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Interior, engine, ride, style, value, controls"

"I bought our CX-5 couple weeks ago love this SUV it has everything what you need for a small family SUV. Love it so much with three children and 2 dogs everybody be comfortable riding on the trip in CX-5. Its got rain sensor wipers, navigation in TOMTOM, iPod interface, blue tooth, Pandora radio capability, rearview monitor camera, infotainment center which love how shows me when album is playing with the picture showing one side and other shows artist and title of person singing song listen to. The heated seats are best in great seat cushion love the design in them looks more sportier the way they were factory built. CX-5 handles excellent I give this SUV a 5* star rating on being more safety for our family and having so much features in its class. Drive to it is very responsive and its quiet even has an 4 cylinder 2.5 skyactiv engine love how have best performance not lousy as some vehicles would be. Before making a purchase with our Mazda CX-5 did my homework on smaller SUVs in better values and features looked at RAV4, CR-V, Forester and CX-5 I decided to buy a Mazda over the competitors because have a better value and drove the best with having plenty of power after looking and test driving others I did my homework on they were great crossovers but just didn't give me a more responsive ride and handling like the CX-5. We still own a 2000 Grand Cherokee with no issues but found the CX-5 rides better and have bit more features than ever. We love Mazda products."

Super Fun Daily Driver!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Good Value and Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Lack-luster and impersonal interior design"

"This is a great car to drive! It's quick to pick-up speed when you need it to. The steering is right-on and the handling is quite nimble - you almost forget that you're not driving a coupe/sedan. It does not drive like an SUV/CUV at all. Freeway driving is smooth. This car will make you want to drive more. Fuel efficiency is close to advertised numbers - but, keep in mind that I am reviewing the GT AWD trim. Still, I feel 29-30mpg is quite acceptable for the size of the car. Another nice feature is that it takes normal 87 octane gasoline; no need to break the bank just for a Sunday afternoon cruise. I did not purchase the "Technology Package" as the features didn't really align with my priorities and lifestyle. Still, the GT comes packed with standard tech features like: Blind Spot monitoring, HD & Satellite (SIRIUS) radio, Bose speakers throughout, multi-position moonroof, cruise control, Tire Pressure Monitoring and rear back-up camera to name a few. For me, this is "enough-tech". For a smallish family, this is the perfect sized car. I manged to fit 2 adults, 2 children with booster seats, a medium dog kennel and some travel bags comfortably. On another trip, I packed in 4 adults comfortably - with 2 bigger guys in the back seat (one guy is 6'6") without complaints of head or leg space. Multiple snowboards traveled inside the vehicle thanks to the 40/20/40 seat folding positions. As much as I love my new car, there are a few things that I've been reluctant to pick-out as inconveniences, design flaws or frustrations. The first being the flimsy moonroof shade. It feels thin and does little to dampen the road noise when closed. Another thing that bugs me is the aesthetics (or lack there) of the instrument panel. This could be just my tastes and opinions, but I feel it's very plain and lacks integration. I've seen better displays on base model Nissan Altima's. Keeping with nit-picking on aesthetics, I wished Mazda had been just as bold with their interior designs as they did with their exterior. The whole center area is very minimal and sorry to say, boring. The orange-y LED and back lighting make the instruments panel feel dated and almost out of place. Lastly, I would like to complain about the shortness of the center console. It is short and length, height and depth. I find myself having to lean in toward the center to make use of the center console. My wife who is about 5 inches shorter also has the same complaint. Although, it is deep and houses the USB and AUX ports, I just wished it was a tad higher and wee bit longer. With that being said, I am extremely happy with my purchase. The vehicle is perfect the lifestyle and family size that I have. The car looks great, is fun to drive and has everything that I need for a great driving experience. My advice would be, if you can afford it - spring for the Grand Touring trim, it's worth the price and you get more value for your money! Zoom - Zoom!"

See if you qualify for