2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,063 - $21,420.

10/8.3

Based on 102 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Love it!

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "good gas mileage, stylish, edgy, fun to drive"

Cons: "no light in trunk"

"I am a third time Mazda owner, actually fourth! I got my first Mazda when Mazda6 first came out. This one is a 2014 and I have had it since May. I love it. It is great. There are certainly a few things I would change, but nothing major. The biggest thing that irks me on this car is that there is no light in the trunk. Other than that everything is pretty much to my liking. There is a ton of place in the car and it's very comfortable."

Good looking and great gas mileage. Fun to drive!

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Technology. Blind spot monitoring is great!"

Cons: "Front seats could be slightly bigger."

"I have owned the CX-5 since April, 2013 and it has been all they said it would be. Good gas mileage. Love the shifter, and the blind spot monitor. Saved me a couple times when changing lanes. Nice features that are easy to used."

FUN, Affordable, Great MPGs, Best in class

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Like all Mazdas, well balance -"

Cons: "Blue Tooth"

"3800 miles so far and I'm happy with the purchase, Avg. 420 miles on a tank with mix driving. The 2.5 L. motor is the way to go, good wide torque curve, and one of the smoothest Transmissions I’ve own. This is by far the MX5 of small SUVs. Test Drive one and take it around some turns, there is enough drivers feed back to make you think that you are driving something smaller like a Mazda 3. My only CON. With it so far is the Radio; Hopefully Mazda will upgrade it like the 2014 Mazda 3. Its not sound quality, more of its Blue tooth firmware updates that need to be address. It works/ it doesn’t work. Tom Tom Nav. Just OK. Other than that the perfect affordable small SUV that is reliable, good on the wallet, and most important to me, enough Driver feed back to make me feel confident on every turn I take."

not what it's cracked up to be

By on Friday, October 18, 2013

Pros: "pretty color and exterior design"

Cons: "actual mpg, terrible paint, TPMS, bad Bose. Ripoff"

"I was so enthusiastic about the features of this car, I bought the Grand Touring. However, immediately after purchase the TPMS light came on and it required 3 trips to the dealer before it quit. The dealer-installed bug deflector separated from the front within 4 months. My overall mpg is just now at 26.0, yet I do mostly throughway and interstate driving. Most upsetting is the paint job. My car only saw half a winter, yet yielded up hundreds to thousands of pockmarks in the clearcoat on the bumper and hood in spite of obsessive washing and waxing with high quality carnauba products. Neither the dealer nor Mazda Corporate will stand behind the product and terrible paint job, and it looks beaten up with only 7700 miles on it. The Bose speakers sound like knockoffs because I have Bose in my house that do Not sound like a tinny noise inside a box. Very disappointing. The paint is better on my 1999 Jeep, my 1998 Savana, and my 2008 Saturn. Apparently Mazda doesn't care about their product once it's paid for."

Was skeptical but SO glad I bought it

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive and great gas mileage"

"I was between getting a Ford Escape and the Mazda Cx-5- I'm so so glad I bought the Mazda! I test drove both and the Mazda drives as easily as a car, whereas the Escape feels like it's trying to be a baby truck. The things I will mention that I did not know until I went into the dealership were: 1. The tires have nitrogen in them and there is a sensor to let you know if you're low. That's great, except most places don't fill tires with nitrogen. You can put air in them but I don't think the sensor work as well. 2. You do need to put plus gas in the car- I pay about $35 every time I fill up, so that really isn't a big deal for this car. 3. My transmission had to be replaced and the dealership was completely on top of my car and gave me a new CX-5 to drive while mine was being worked on, and they replaced the entire transmission with a new one in four days and it was all covered by warranty. I am currently getting 29.8 miles to the gallon and have get to drop below 29 miles on average. This car is really fun to drive- really zippy! It has great room for passengers in the back. My family is full of large Texas sized men who are over six feet tall and they sit very comfortably in my car. I highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in it! I was bought Ford for years and this was a completely different animal!"

Love My Mazda

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Sips gas, great Mazda quality, nice to drive"

Cons: "Less powerful engine"

"This is the 3rd Mazda we have owned (RX7, MX6, now CX5) & like all the others, it is fun to drive. More nimble & sporty, like a car, than our Murano, which feels heavy & stiff to me now. I will say the Murano has a few more luxury features, but I don't feel like I'm doing without in the Mazda. It sips the gas! Great for a family of four with enough legroom for our growing tweens. I would definitely recommend this vehicle. Some may prefer more engine power, but it is perfect for me. We waited for the Grand Touring version to become available last year and I'm glad we waited."

Great vehicle so far

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Looks great, handles great, mpg great."

Cons: "No deals on them, need keyless on lower models."

"We have the 2014 GT and it has so been as advertised. First two tanks of gas were over 30mpg with AWD which is great for not being broke in. Can't comment on AWD as snow has not arrived yet. We wanted an AWD that got good gas mileage, and only considered the Sante Fe and ended liking the 6 when we saw it but stuck with the Mazda. Handles very tight and responsive with good breaking, sitting higher will be nice in winter with snow banks. Only complaints is dealers do not deal much and that the true keyless came on Touring model. If you want your car to look like everyone else's car then buy the RAV4 or CRV."

Almost Perfect - If it Matches Your Criteria.

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "It drives most like my new BMW 2002."

Cons: "iPod / USB interface doesn't work well."

"The 2014 Mazda CX-5 is the absolute perfect car – if your criteria is: 1) Drives like a small BMW sedan, 2) Carries camping gear, bikes and kayaks down bad dirt roads to your favorite primitive campground. For a compact cross-over SUV it is high on utility and it is the first SUV where the S truly does mean sports car-like. However, it is not the perfect car if your criteria includes: 1) Tomb-quiet interior under all road conditions and speeds, 2) Zero intrusion of road-feel of any kind through the brakes, steering or suspension or 3) Extended off-road terrain crawling. Despite high ground clearance, fairly high seating position and a tall SUV body, it corners fast with no discernible body lean. At any semi-sane speed it is quiet inside, the only noise being a low level wind-woooosh from the mirrors. The ride is very compliant and sports sedan-like over marginal surfaces. The steering is very precise - both light at parking speed and well weighted for feedback at higher speeds. The suspension allows for full power acceleration and cornering over broken and undulating surfaces with no drama. Brake modulation is linear with little pedal travel and no unexpected grab as you approach full foot pressure. The engine produces good torque from about 2200 rpm. This minimizes downshifting of the (extremely smooth) 6 speed automatic when accelerating after a traffic slow-down, or when going uphill with additional people or gear on-board. It also pulls quite strongly to over 5000 rpm – great for 40-70 mph passing. Acceleration is responsive enough to put a smile on your face coming out of a twisty turn in 3rd gear. Rapid fully manual up-shifting and down-shifting is easy with the lever pulled over into the manual shift gate next to your right thigh. Even in manual mode, stomping the gas produces an instant kick-down to the lowest useable gear. In automatic mode the optimum gear is selected immediately, even downshifting when approaching a stop or when going downhill. When driven with a light foot in automatic mode it shifts up early to maximize gas mileage. Fast and responsive in manual mode and easy and efficient in automatic – perfect. The exterior styling is sleek, muscular and emotive without being overdone. The interior is elegant rather than flashy, even a bit austere – like an Italian suit. Small buttons and virtual buttons on touch screens are minimized in favor of rotating knobs and push switches that provide tactile feedback and can be found and operated without taking your eyes off the road. An excellent balance of function vs. fashion. The wide use of soft-touch materials adds to the impression of quality. The seats are initially firm, but feel comfortable and supportive even after several hours on the road. Substantial side bolsters keep you in place during spirited cornering. Rear seating and leg/foot room is spacious for 2 adults, but “cozy” for 3 adults. The driver’s seat adjusts for height, tilt and lumbar support. When combined with the tilt and telescoping steering, drivers of all sizes should find a perfect position. The 3 individually folding 40-20-40 seat backs will accommodate a mountain bike with the front wheel still attached, or 2 adults in the rear seats plus long items like skis or 2X4s. Mine is a Grand Touring All Wheel Drive with Tech Package. It includes a Bose stereo, sunroof, back-up camera, Xenon High Intensity headlights (that steer with the front wheels and self-level as people and gear are added), leather seats, Bluetooth, a Tom-Tom nav system plus blind spot monitoring and low speed collision avoidance. It has the highest EPA gas mileage results among the 20+ compact SUV models. And according to owner reviews it regularly returns better highway mileage than the EPA figure. My cumulative average mileage for 3000 miles of mountain roads and highways is 27 mpg. Best mileage was 29.8 mpg on a 600 mile trip that took me from sea level to 9500 ft (3 times) in the Sierra Nevada. Currently Consumer Reports predicts that long term reliability will be above average."

Good car but over-rated.

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, front and rear leg room."

Cons: "noisy ride, bad stereo, rear seat won't recline"

"I bought a 2014 cx-5 Touring model after reading a comparison between it and three other new models. The Mazda beat out the other cars handily so when I test drove it I didn't pay enough attention to the car. First thing I noticed after I bought it was how awful the stereo sounded. I can't remember owning a car with a stereo that sounded so bad that I didn't even want to listen to music! I should have upgraded to the Bose sound system. The blue tooth works well enough but there again, when I talk on the phone, it sounds like the other person is in a box. Another major annoyance was that sales person told me that I could get up to 35 miles per gallon in it. I made a trip from Texas to Minnesota and back driving the speed limit with the cruise control on. The best mileage I could get was 30 mpg and most of the time just about 28 mpg! Not bad gas mileage but nowhere near what the sales people were telling me. The Toyota Sienna that I traded in for this car was a much better car for family vacation. Much quieter, more room and gas mileage was still about 25 mpg. I wish the Mazda had more storage compartments and that the back seat would recline. My kids could never get comfortable in the back. How hard would that have been to make? The road noise was also pretty bad. Other things are the clock is hard to read and the space behind the back seat is small. I guess it's about as good as it gets for now in the compact suv segment. Don't get me wrong. There are many good features like all the air bags, back up camera, power drivers seat and the blue tooth connectivity. I also like the push button start but wish that you could unlock the door from a button on the outside of the car. I would still recommend the car to a friend but it's not the car I thought I was buying."

Not a very comfortable ride, too confining

By on Saturday, August 03, 2013

Reason: not comfortable

Pros: "safety features, gas mileage."

Cons: "uncomfortable seat, too small of an interior"

"I owned this Mazda for 1 month, and sold it to buy another Honda Odyssey. Honda is far superior for a comfortable ride. I couldn't stand the thought of keeping this car for a year let alone 10 years. I took a huge loss on the car, but I am much happier in a comfortable Honda. I bought this based on consumer report reviews, but it was not big enough for me. I was trying to downsize from a van, but I went back to a van. Minimal interior storage. No locking glove box. No buttons to open my garage door. Back seat only seats 2 adults, not 3 like I had hoped."

awesome

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "everything but great style.."

Cons: "leather seats still stiff"

"GREAT PURCHASE...drove the bland cr-v, almost bought it until we found the mazda gt with tech package...almost as fun to drive as our corvette...couldn't be happier smooth quiet and worth the extra 1200.00...if you buy this car you wont be dissapointed"

Great Ride, good gas mileage!

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, nice ground clearance"

Cons: "No leather in the Touring model"

"I recently bought a 2014 Mazda CX5 Touring after completing a ton research on small SUVs. So far the car gets better mileage than the sticker says, it has plenty of power and the ride is very nice. I know I am going to like the 8.5 inches of ground clearance as I live in snow country! The only thing I wish Mazda would do is to give you the option of leather in the Touring model. I did not want the Grand Touring as it has more bells and whistles than I need and I did not want the large low-profile tires. This is my 3rd new Mazda since 1999. I have owned a 626, a Mazda3 and now the CX5. The two previous ones were passed down to my kids. I think Mazda has some of the best cars out there-the styling, drive, and reliability far out pace some of the other popular foreign cars!"

Love my 2014 CX5 GT

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Handling, interior layout, safety features, mpg,"

Cons: "Road noise"

"We bought our 2014 CX5 GT a little over a month ago. We have no regrets. It is everything that the brochure says and more. We test drove several other vehicles and the Mazda won hands down. The car is a joy to drive. It handles like a sports car and has more safety features than you can cover in this blog. We chose this car due to those safety features and the great handling we felt during the test drives. We have driven it a little over 2000 miles and have been pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage. It has exceeded our expectations. So far it has averaged over 28 mpg in city driving and has gotten a little over 30 mpg on the highway, and much of that at over 75 mph. That is by my figuring and not the on-board computer. The only negative so far has been the amount of road noise on some surfaces at high speed. I noted that others complained about it, but it is not intolerable nor is it present on all surfaces. This may have more to do with the tire selection than the vehicle itself and I plan on researching tires when it is time to replace these. Overall we are still thrilled with our purchase and would recommend this vehicle to others looking for a reasonably priced car with great features."

Best Vehicle so far

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Cons: "wish it had the wipers that come on when it rains."

"For the past 15 years I have owned Mazda's. You name the model, I bought it. I have never been dissatified with this vehicle. I will probably die owning a Mazda. My new Mazda is wonderful on gas. On a recent trip, highway milage was 30mpg. In town, 27 to 28mpg. The money I have saved in fuel charges has made up for the purchase of the vehicle. My 2013 CX5 I bought just when it came out. Love Mazda, Love my Dealership, Love my car."

Best vehicle value in its class

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "31 MPG on an AWD is crazy."

Cons: "the gas tank popper is in a bad spot."

"I needed an awd or 4x4 that would go in the winter but could also handle my 3hr round trip daily commute. And my AWD sport (low trim) does both while avg 30.9MPG! My commute is even enjoyable with my comfy cloth seats, comfy ride, low blind spots, Bluetooth and sound system. Speaking of blind spots, The thing I love most about my AWD sport is that you have nearly no blind spots. The mirrors are perfectly shaped to give you a nice view of everything. This vehicle really feels like you're driving a car half its size."

Looks good, drives better and highly useful!!

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Great value for price, fun to drive, looks great"

Cons: "Nothing significant"

"Bottom Line Up Front: I bought my 2014 Soul Red Metallic Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring at the end of May and couldn't be happier with it! It looks great, drives wonderfully and is exceeding the advertised MPG ratings. Why did I buy this car? My family moved to South Dakota this past December and didn't own a car with AWD. Our cars were FWD and had always done fine in snow...on relatively level ground. However, our new house is at the top of a hill. After getting stuck in the snow and having to walk up the hill to the house one too many times, we decided to pursue a car with AWD before next winter. Much research and test driving ensued. We looked at the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Subaru Outback and Forester as well as the Mazda CX-5. Test drove them all multiple times before settling on the Mazda. Comparing the safety ratings, fuel economy, cargo capacity, etc. the cars all come out fairly similarly. In my opinion, the main differentials were looks and driving style. The CX-5 has the sleekest lines in its class and is far and away the most fun of the cars we tested to drive. It felt much more nimble and agile than the others and now it's in my garage. Mazda advertises 24 MPG city and 30 MPG highway for the AWD CX-5 with the bigger engine. I've yet to drive a full tank of gas on just a road trip, but I'm averaging 28-29.5 MPG combined driving around town and small stints on the interstate over the past six weeks. So, I'm very pleased with those results. The mileage definitely decreases going uphill, more than I would've thought. But, what goes up must come down, and this balances out with elevation changes on a round trip. Also, the owner's manual states that the MPG will really start to decrease over 60 MPH. So far, though, it seems to me like the point where the mileage really starts to drop is over 70 MPH. On level ground at 70 MPH I'm still getting 30+ MPG, but it goes down as the speed/RPMs increase above 70 MPH. Interior-wise, the car is very comfortable. The leather breathes well and doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer heat (at least so far) as I thought it might. The only competitor vehicle that I thought had a slightly better ergonomically laid out cockpit/better use of interior space was the Honda CR-V, but the CX-5 was a very close second. All the controls are easy to reach and operate, space is well-utilized and the instruments are easy to read. The black interior does show dirt fairly easily, but it also cleans up quite easily as well with minimal effort. In summary, if you are in the market for a small SUV, then I highly recommend the Mazda CX-5. It has great safety ratings, has fuel economy ratings at the top of the class (and is exceeding them so far in my experience), is comfortable and fun to drive and looks great. Buy with confidence!!"

Great looking but needs work

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Looks, seats, blind spot monitor, rearview camera"

Cons: "Armrests uncomfortable for tall drivers, stereo"

"I own a 2014 Touring FWD CX-5. The new engine is a big improvement over the 2013 - smooth with good power. Fit and finish are excellent with comfortable cloth seats. I love the blind spot monitor and the rearview camera - great safety enhancements. The are a few problems though that take a lot away from this car: the driver's door window ledge is at a right angle rather than rounded like most vehicles and is not well-padded making it extremely uncomfortable to rest left arm while driving, which being 6'1" is where my elbow would rest. Similarly, the center console/armrest is too low and not well-padded, making resting your right arm/elbow difficult. The base stereo speakers are awful - much worse than stock speakers on other cars I've owned. The projector headlights bounce far more than other cars and are distracting. The CX-5 is great looking, but needs work."

Road Noise

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Fuel Economy, it is a great driving small SUV"

Cons: "Road noise, road noise, hood shakes"

"There is a great deal of road noise on this vehicle at highway speeds, particularly with concrete pavement (Interstates). In April I test drove the CX 5 and 4 other comparable SUVs, all the others (little to no road noise) were driven on the Interstate (dealers in the area) the only one not driven on the Interstate was the Mazda, my fault. The noise appears to be coming out of the rear wheel well area. I spend quite a bit of time on the Interstates for my job and the noise is constant. Friends say "just turn up the radio", but that’s not a solution. Both Consumer Reports and Popular Mechanics magazines have made it a point in their reviews to mention the "noise issue", wish I had read them first. The decision to purchase was based on my need to improve fuel economy, the looks and how the vehicle physically drove. (all of these are great) But I have regretted my purchase since the 1st road trip. Either a financial loss is taken by trading / selling it or I do something about it. So I have driven with the local dealer's lead Mazda mechanic, who said that it does appear that the noise is coming from the wheel wells and that the noise is acceptable, but referred me to the Service Manager. The Service Manager and the Mazda Regional Manager drove it and it was reported back to me by the Service Manager that the Regional said that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and that was it. The SM said he would contact the Sales Dept to see if they would cover an undercoating for the wheel wells. Still waiting….. to hear back. If I don’t hear back then I will pay for something to lessen the “noise”. Of my last 5 vehicle purchases the CX 5 is the only one to have this issue."

Very good

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Grips road great, nothing cheap, reliable so far"

Cons: "Not enough pickup (but great gas mileage makes up)"

"Have had this car for 7 months and glad to have purchased. Fun to drive, no problems so far! WILL UPDATE! Since 15,000 doesn't say much about reliability I will be checking back in!"

Should have bought an Encore

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pros: "Good gas milage."

Cons: "Road Noise, Road Noise, Road Noise"

"Road noise is excessive. Changed tires from Yokohama Geoearths to Michelin Defenders. No change. If you want a quiet ride, do not chose the CX-5 Touring. Test drive was on smooth roads, no doubt chosen by the dealer. My error in not requiring freeway testing. My Nissan truck is quieter. Good gas milage. Additionally, it does not have an oil or temp gage. Have to start the car to turn on the radio.Push button start.Back-up camera and blind spot alarms are nice. In other words, should have purchased a Buick Encore. Detroit has a better handle on quietness than the Japanese. Honda CRV is no better."

I really like my CX-5!

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"I have had it for a year now and I have no complaints. My previous vehicle was a van, so I was used to a lot of room. In the back seat of the CX-5 there is not a lot of room. I have two children and one is still in a car seat. If you have three people in the back it is pretty tight. I would recommend this vehicle to a smaller family. Also, the back has a good amount of cargo space. Even though it is a 4-cyl it still has enough power for me. I get almost 30 mpg. I do a lot of stop and go travel. I definitely would recommend the CX-5."

Love it so far!

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles nicely, roomy for this size"

Cons: "Interior shows dirt terribly, not all that plush"

"I purchased the 2014 Touring, I went to purchase a 2013 Sport, but when I arrived at the dealership I was given some bizzare explanation about how they couldn't sell the 2013 because their incentives from Mazda were about to run out....it felt a little like a bait & switch, but I really liked the vehicle. I've got less than 500 miles but I'm averaging 28 plus MPG back and forth to work-Shenandoah Valley of VA, so will get to really test out the AWD in the winter. It is tons of fun to drive, I went from an 11 year old V-6 Jeep Liberty to this, so there is a ton of difference. While I was used to more power, the CX-5 is peppy enough and the gas mileage really does make up for it. I didn't think I'd ever use the bluetooth since I'm not very tech oriented, but I have set it up and used it a few times so it might come in handy. The backup camera is nice for parking in tight spaces but you can get almost to that point if you know how to drive with your mirrors anyway. I feel like I got a fair price on what I purchased and if it lasts me 10 years without any major issues, I will be pleased."

I absolutely love this car!

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "awesome to drive! beautiful inside and out"

Cons: "no heated seats was kind of a bummer"

"This is my first brand new car. I test drove Kia, Hyundai, which were nice, but the car dealers were brutal! My friend at the Mazda dealership knew exactly what I was looking for and had the car out front for me when I arrived the next day. I test drove it, and knew this was the car for me. it drives like a dream. I love the push button start, and bluetooth feature. it is so quiet, I didnt realize I had gotten out of the car without turning the engine off, and was thankful that it would not allow me to lock the door without turning the car off. Its a beautiful midnight blue with tan interior. I would definately buy another Mazda when the time comes!"

2013 CX-5: Grinning

By on Monday, May 06, 2013

Pros: "Great value; drives like a dream"

Cons: "Bluetooth needs a little work to upload contacts"

"Needed to upgrade from my two-seat truck to a vehicle with more passenger room to shuttle kids around, and also to head up to the mountains and hold kids and camping gear. My previous vehicles were all pretty basic so I also wanted some upgrades (Bluetooth being the biggest). I really like manual transmissions, however only the Sport model had it and only in FWD - non-starter here in CO. I test drove the AWD Touring model, and immediately smiled when they showed me the "manual" mode. It's the best of both worlds - Automatic for city driving, manual for mountain roads. Still early, but it has plenty of pep when asked for. The Bluetooth package is pretty good, though it has a few bugs - it only picked up about 1/3 of my phones contacts - found an app for my phone to fix it though, so that was a little disappointing. Other than that, it was really easy to pair my phone to the car. The Navigation package and moon roof are nice extras. The Bose speakers are a nice perk too (Kashmir by Led Zeppelin sounds really good). I love the blind spot monitor and the rear view monitor (especially with kids around the neighborhood). Overall, it drives like a car with the utility and space of a larger SUV. Absolutely the right mix for me plus a few extras that make it a blast to drive."

Great Vehicle

By on Monday, May 06, 2013

Pros: "handeling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Navigation doesn't hear voice commands accurately"

"Proud owners of a new 2013 Mazda CX-5. We have logged 400+ miles in the last week and are very pleased. Probably the greatest features for us have been the handeling and the gas mileage. The seats don't seem to be the most comfortable however we haven't found a newer vehicle that has comfortable seats. Looked in a couple of stores for the 0w-20 synthetic oil and only found 2 quarts! Looks like we will have to use the dealership for oil changes which will mean $$$$$$."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25