2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,796 - $21,330.

10/8.3

Based on 161 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Great Ride, good gas mileage!

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, nice ground clearance"

Cons: "No leather in the Touring model"

"I recently bought a 2014 Mazda CX5 Touring after completing a ton research on small SUVs. So far the car gets better mileage than the sticker says, it has plenty of power and the ride is very nice. I know I am going to like the 8.5 inches of ground clearance as I live in snow country! The only thing I wish Mazda would do is to give you the option of leather in the Touring model. I did not want the Grand Touring as it has more bells and whistles than I need and I did not want the large low-profile tires. This is my 3rd new Mazda since 1999. I have owned a 626, a Mazda3 and now the CX5. The two previous ones were passed down to my kids. I think Mazda has some of the best cars out there-the styling, drive, and reliability far out pace some of the other popular foreign cars!"

Excellent Choice!

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Great Overall Handling, zippy power, fun to own"

Cons: "Awkward getting into armrest, small center console"

"Bought the car in late January (in the heart of the NE winter). Was looking for a fitting replacement for my 2008 Toyo Camry but with better gas mileage and better traction. Found it in my 2014 Touring model. Still too young to tell, but I am averaging 26-28 MPG combined (same as my Camry) but with AWD it is more than acceptable. Seating is very comfy. I have back problems and the lumbar support really helps and the seats make you sit up straight. I am 6'2" (but slender) and find it more than roomy enough in the front and back seats. It has been great so far in this winter that won't end... It has a great ride (great in the snow, too), sporty and receptive handling and is a real pleasure to drive. It has plenty of zip for me with the 2.5 liter. I work right off the highway and have to merge with traffic quickly - a breeze with this car. My friends also love the sporty looks as do I. Sitting higher up than in the Camry gives you better vision, as well as the use of the back-up camera, which has virtual lines to help you back into a parking space with ease. Center console is a little tight with not much storage space and it is a little awkward if you have to get something out of the armrest storage. LCD screen is a little small but the touch functions are receptive. Center dashboard vents are right under the LCD and I sometimes hit them when reaching for other things, have to constantly fix them. Other than those small items, I love it and would recommend it to others looking for great things in small packages."

Very comfortablen and fun to drive

By on Monday, December 23, 2013

"Read many reviews and looked at a number of vehicles. Was torn between another sedan and an SUV. Wanted the storage space of SUV and sitting higher. Appearance is great. Like the styling of the front end, wheels, and rear is ok. Interior is very nice. Dashboard is well laid out with controls located conveniently. Dashboard material is plush and appointments are nice. Even like the cloth seats which in most vehicles I don't like. Rear seat is smaller than some but I knew that up front. Would be ideal to have a bit more leg room in back. Front seat comfort, leg roon, and height is great. Transmission shifts very smooth. Acceleration is great; even in hilly areas. Cruise control is smooth. Wish it had automatic headlights. Radio controls and bluetooth works well. Music streams wirelessly. HD radio sound is noticeably better than standard radio. The speakers don't seem to have as much high end clarity as I would have expected but are suitable. Seating position is great. Higher than a sedan but lower than a large truck. Getting in and out of the vehicle is easy. I compared to a Toyota Tundra and getting in and out was a chore. MPG avearage is 29.5. I traded a G35 for this vehicle and was concerned I was stepping down. No worries; it is very comfortable and fun to drive and I do not notice any loss of acceleration. Would definitely buy again."

Good looking and great gas mileage. Fun to drive!

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pros: "Technology. Blind spot monitoring is great!"

Cons: "Front seats could be slightly bigger."

"I have owned the CX-5 since April, 2013 and it has been all they said it would be. Good gas mileage. Love the shifter, and the blind spot monitor. Saved me a couple times when changing lanes. Nice features that are easy to used."

I really like my CX-5!

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"I have had it for a year now and I have no complaints. My previous vehicle was a van, so I was used to a lot of room. In the back seat of the CX-5 there is not a lot of room. I have two children and one is still in a car seat. If you have three people in the back it is pretty tight. I would recommend this vehicle to a smaller family. Also, the back has a good amount of cargo space. Even though it is a 4-cyl it still has enough power for me. I get almost 30 mpg. I do a lot of stop and go travel. I definitely would recommend the CX-5."

Love it so far!

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles nicely, roomy for this size"

Cons: "Interior shows dirt terribly, not all that plush"

"I purchased the 2014 Touring, I went to purchase a 2013 Sport, but when I arrived at the dealership I was given some bizzare explanation about how they couldn't sell the 2013 because their incentives from Mazda were about to run out....it felt a little like a bait & switch, but I really liked the vehicle. I've got less than 500 miles but I'm averaging 28 plus MPG back and forth to work-Shenandoah Valley of VA, so will get to really test out the AWD in the winter. It is tons of fun to drive, I went from an 11 year old V-6 Jeep Liberty to this, so there is a ton of difference. While I was used to more power, the CX-5 is peppy enough and the gas mileage really does make up for it. I didn't think I'd ever use the bluetooth since I'm not very tech oriented, but I have set it up and used it a few times so it might come in handy. The backup camera is nice for parking in tight spaces but you can get almost to that point if you know how to drive with your mirrors anyway. I feel like I got a fair price on what I purchased and if it lasts me 10 years without any major issues, I will be pleased."

FUN, Affordable, Great MPGs, Best in class

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Like all Mazdas, well balance -"

Cons: "Blue Tooth"

"3800 miles so far and I'm happy with the purchase, Avg. 420 miles on a tank with mix driving. The 2.5 L. motor is the way to go, good wide torque curve, and one of the smoothest Transmissions I’ve own. This is by far the MX5 of small SUVs. Test Drive one and take it around some turns, there is enough drivers feed back to make you think that you are driving something smaller like a Mazda 3. My only CON. With it so far is the Radio; Hopefully Mazda will upgrade it like the 2014 Mazda 3. Its not sound quality, more of its Blue tooth firmware updates that need to be address. It works/ it doesn’t work. Tom Tom Nav. Just OK. Other than that the perfect affordable small SUV that is reliable, good on the wallet, and most important to me, enough Driver feed back to make me feel confident on every turn I take."

Totally Impressed Grand Touring FWD

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

"The more I drive it, the more I love it. A smooth ride, quiet, dashboard layout awesome, electronic console easy to use, comfortable front seats, enough space in the back with the seats down for two labrador retrievers, very stylish. I have other drivers on the interstate following and looking, people stop me in the parking lot to ask about the car. Great car!!"

Very Happy So Far

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Cons: "small moon roof, no compass"

"Just purchased the 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring with AWD and after 4 days with it, I have to say I'm very impressed. I traded in a 2012 Kia Sportage EX for the CX-5 and feature wise, the two are very comprable. I liked the Nav in the Kia better than the CX-5 but not a big deal. I wish the CX-5 had a larger moon roof but again, not a deal breaker. Things I like a lot are the headlights, really bright and definitely help with night driving. Seats are very comfy and steering/maneuverabilty are a dream! I also notice the CX-5 is a quieter, smoother ride than the Kia. Still on the fence with the gas mileage because the car is so new but can already see the average MPG is better than my Kia was getting. I do a fair balance of city and highway driving daily and right now I'm showing an average of 22.5 MPG in the CX-5. My Kia was getting 19-20 average MPG. I expect the average in the Mazda to improve as the engine gets broken in. The exterior of the CX-5 is very sporty looking to me and very similar to the Kia Sportage in looks. The CX-5 has a much larger back storage area which I like a lot. I have some very minor issues with the CX-5 but I had some with the Kia too. None of them are worthy of giving the CX-5 a low rating though. This is a stylish, full feature, fun to drive car and I'm very glad I traded the Kia Sportage for the Mazda CX-5."

not what it's cracked up to be

By on Friday, October 18, 2013

Pros: "pretty color and exterior design"

Cons: "actual mpg, terrible paint, TPMS, bad Bose. Ripoff"

"I was so enthusiastic about the features of this car, I bought the Grand Touring. However, immediately after purchase the TPMS light came on and it required 3 trips to the dealer before it quit. The dealer-installed bug deflector separated from the front within 4 months. My overall mpg is just now at 26.0, yet I do mostly throughway and interstate driving. Most upsetting is the paint job. My car only saw half a winter, yet yielded up hundreds to thousands of pockmarks in the clearcoat on the bumper and hood in spite of obsessive washing and waxing with high quality carnauba products. Neither the dealer nor Mazda Corporate will stand behind the product and terrible paint job, and it looks beaten up with only 7700 miles on it. The Bose speakers sound like knockoffs because I have Bose in my house that do Not sound like a tinny noise inside a box. Very disappointing. The paint is better on my 1999 Jeep, my 1998 Savana, and my 2008 Saturn. Apparently Mazda doesn't care about their product once it's paid for."

My new spaceship!!

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, technology, city gas mileage"

Cons: "Boise stereo a bit weak; black interior"

"Love this car!! First new, new car in over 20 years and WOW how technology has changed!! Took me at least a month to get use to and enjoy all of the features. My favorite features are the blind-spot monitoring and back-up camera!! Oh and the headlights - how they hug the road and turn as you turn. Love to drive at night just to watch them!! The SkyActive on this vehicle is amazing particularly how it makes a 4 cylinder car drive like a 6 cylinder. I have Never owned a 4C before and was hesitant, but no hesitation here!! Gets up and goes with the best of them - well maybe not the sports cars - LOL! City gas mileage has been great at 28.5 but not as happy with the highway mileage at just 30 but driving habits come into play here. It is a comfortable car - 5 is a tight fit but possible depending on size of passengers. My husband fits well at 6'2 and 250 which was surprising - but he is comfortable."

Zoom, Zoom, Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"I drive around 35k per year, all types of weather and this vehicle has been great so far. I’m coming from driving and f-150 for about 100k before the transmission went out, and before that came from a family that would only drive Honda and Acura. With that being said, this is the best car I’ve owned. I love the way it drives, especially with the electronic steering. My wife drives a new Honda Odyssey and I never realized how loose the steering was on the Honda until I went back and forth between the CX-5. Like I said, this is a great vehicle and when the lease is up on the Honda we are going to look at another Mazda."

gas milage not even close to projected

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

"I got the 2014 Mazda CX-5 grand touring with the tech package.They say the gas mileage is 26-35, but in reality I get about 21-22 mpg which is pretty disappointing. I have skidded a couple times in this car but I don't have all wheel drive I have front wheel. I would definetly say the tech package is worth it. The headlights are really good and the automatic breaks in traffic is a total lifesaver. Love it. The bluetooth though isn't awesome. I have the Iphone 5s and the car can't get my text messages and bluetooth messes up way too often. Also the car has come apart a little on the inside which isn't good since I have only had it for 7 months. I live in austin but drove up to san antonio to get my car because it was 80$ cheaper a month. Crazy! I love how this car has get up and go! Looking back though, I don't think I would have went with this car if I knew everything I did now. For the price though it is probably one of the best in its class."

Excellent gas mileage and driving experience!

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and great gas mileage"

Cons: "none so far"

"Really surprised with city gas mileage. I primarily use this SUV for daily office commute which is about two miles (round trip). For this kind distance I am getting close to 26+ mpg city (with my 2005 accord I was getting only about 18-19 mpg). The City+highway average is comes to about 28 mpg (I didn't travel much on highways). Moreover it is easy to maneuver and fun to drive. Really happy to own this vehicle."

Very well designed,excellent city/ highway avg mpg

By on Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, outstanding design, suberb mpg"

Cons: "No option for automatic lift hatch"

"I have owned this Mazda CX 5 for about 3 months and have been very impressed with the overall quality and outstanding driving characteristics. The CX 5 handles and feels very nimble, much like a sports car. I do a lot of in town and highway driving and this CX 5 averages almost 31 mpg. This is a very high average for non-hybrid models. On long highway trips I often get 34-35 mpg with an automatic transmission. This is a great, roomy, versatile crossover that gently sips fuel."

Excellent

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "Driving dynamics, overall design, fuel economy"

Cons: "No cons for me"

"I've owned the CX-5 for over a month and 1,100 miles and while that's only a short period of time it's really been excellent across all areas. I wanted more utility than my Mazda6 but didn't want to sacrifice driving dynamics and fuel economy and I couldn't be happier with the CX-5. It has the safety and convenience features I wanted at a reasonable price along with a decent styling inside and out. I enjoy driving the CX-5 and am more impressed the more I drive it."

I absolutely love my CX-5!!!

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "comfort, technology, cargo space and funn to drive"

"I got to say I usually don't write reviews on things Iowned but i have to make an exception when it comes to my new CX-5. I was in te fence anbout buying this car because of the 2.0L engine and was worry about acceleration when entering the interstate like i did when i owned a corolla with a 1.8L engine that used to hit high RPMs and I hated that, but I have to say that Mazda did a great job here. I drive my CX-5 7 days a week and I get fantastic MPG!. I drove it down to the beach about 8hrs from here to NYC and to Columbus Ohio. Over all i love this thing and i will like to get another one. I would highly recommend the Bluetooth package with the rearview camera."

Great car - with two issues

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, attractive, roomy"

Cons: "Underpowered, headrests not designed for women"

"This is my third Mazda and I LOVE IT! It's comfortable to drive, handles very well and gets great gas mileage for an SUV. It's an attractive vehicle inside and out and the dog loves riding in the back! I do have two issues with it though. It's underpowered. Not by a whole lot, but when you're used to driving a manual, small car - it's an adjustment. I had an intake installed and the power boost is great. Also, the head rest clearly wasn't designed for a woman. By that I mean, it's uncomfortable to wear my hair up and sit in the car. I've tried adjusting it every which way. I think I finally have it right - I tilt the seat back ever so slightly when I have my hair up. I know it's silly, but you have to live with a car choice for a long time and ladies need the facts."

Road Noise

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Fuel Economy, it is a great driving small SUV"

Cons: "Road noise, road noise, hood shakes"

"There is a great deal of road noise on this vehicle at highway speeds, particularly with concrete pavement (Interstates). In April I test drove the CX 5 and 4 other comparable SUVs, all the others (little to no road noise) were driven on the Interstate (dealers in the area) the only one not driven on the Interstate was the Mazda, my fault. The noise appears to be coming out of the rear wheel well area. I spend quite a bit of time on the Interstates for my job and the noise is constant. Friends say "just turn up the radio", but that’s not a solution. Both Consumer Reports and Popular Mechanics magazines have made it a point in their reviews to mention the "noise issue", wish I had read them first. The decision to purchase was based on my need to improve fuel economy, the looks and how the vehicle physically drove. (all of these are great) But I have regretted my purchase since the 1st road trip. Either a financial loss is taken by trading / selling it or I do something about it. So I have driven with the local dealer's lead Mazda mechanic, who said that it does appear that the noise is coming from the wheel wells and that the noise is acceptable, but referred me to the Service Manager. The Service Manager and the Mazda Regional Manager drove it and it was reported back to me by the Service Manager that the Regional said that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and that was it. The SM said he would contact the Sales Dept to see if they would cover an undercoating for the wheel wells. Still waiting….. to hear back. If I don’t hear back then I will pay for something to lessen the “noise”. Of my last 5 vehicle purchases the CX 5 is the only one to have this issue."

Really love it!

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, nice car for the money"

Cons: "not much cup holder space in front"

"I have owned this car for a year now. I absolutely love it!!! It handles great, has really good gas mileage and is a lot of fun to drive. It has plenty of space for myself and my family. I would highly recommend the larger engine as it seems to have a lot more pick up."

Have been very pleased so far with our CX 5 GT

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Gas Mileage Head turing good looks fun to drive"

Cons: "Bigger map pockets Wind noise"

"Our LZZ "Little Zoom Zoom" has been a joy to own and drive. Great gas mileage very spirited performance and handeling. Yes the ride is a little jumpy at times,the map pockets are a little small. I suspect Mazda will take many of these suggestions from owners and make some changes on future models....Dear Mazda: Paddle shifters would be fun!!! We love our "LZZ""

Bought the Grand touring two weeks ago.

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, quality construction,plenty of power"

"I bought my first Mazda in 2008. That was a Miata Grand Touring. I loved that car, but after moving back to Salt Lake city from Phoenix, I realized that I needed all-wheel drive. The Miata was not fun in heavy snow! I test drove CR-V's, Foresters, Escapes, a sportage and a bunch of others but the best out of all of them is the 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring with the 2.5 engine. This drives more like my Miata did then like a crossover! This is the best handling and most comfortable crossover that I have driven.I have the power sunroof, so it's "almost" like my MX-5 ...Mazda did so well with this one that I cannot think of anything else that I would want to add to it! This CX-5 rocks!"

Good car but over-rated.

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, front and rear leg room."

Cons: "noisy ride, bad stereo, rear seat won't recline"

"I bought a 2014 cx-5 Touring model after reading a comparison between it and three other new models. The Mazda beat out the other cars handily so when I test drove it I didn't pay enough attention to the car. First thing I noticed after I bought it was how awful the stereo sounded. I can't remember owning a car with a stereo that sounded so bad that I didn't even want to listen to music! I should have upgraded to the Bose sound system. The blue tooth works well enough but there again, when I talk on the phone, it sounds like the other person is in a box. Another major annoyance was that sales person told me that I could get up to 35 miles per gallon in it. I made a trip from Texas to Minnesota and back driving the speed limit with the cruise control on. The best mileage I could get was 30 mpg and most of the time just about 28 mpg! Not bad gas mileage but nowhere near what the sales people were telling me. The Toyota Sienna that I traded in for this car was a much better car for family vacation. Much quieter, more room and gas mileage was still about 25 mpg. I wish the Mazda had more storage compartments and that the back seat would recline. My kids could never get comfortable in the back. How hard would that have been to make? The road noise was also pretty bad. Other things are the clock is hard to read and the space behind the back seat is small. I guess it's about as good as it gets for now in the compact suv segment. Don't get me wrong. There are many good features like all the air bags, back up camera, power drivers seat and the blue tooth connectivity. I also like the push button start but wish that you could unlock the door from a button on the outside of the car. I would still recommend the car to a friend but it's not the car I thought I was buying."

Car drives great

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, great steering, great look"

Cons: "placement of time on dashboard"

"Just bought the 2015 maxda cx-5 touring trim. I test drove many vehicles and it came down to this vehicle driving the smoothest, along with high quality steering control, interior and exterior design, and sound system. For a compact SUV this vehicle gets very good MPG. Also, the cars steering control was by far the most outstanding feature i liked with this car. The steering makes you feel like you have full control without the tipping feeling off a sharp turn that I felt with most other makes for compact SUVs. The one thing i think needs to be worked on is the dashboard. The dashboard is very nice, but the placement of the time is a little low and forces you to take your eyes off the road when looking at the time. Overall the rest of the dashboard is nice, it is not over the edge in technology which i liked. Also the trunk is a pretty ideal size, I am a skier and a snowboarded and i did not need a roof rack because the middle seat can go down and you can still fit 4 people in the car on the way to a trip without feeling crammed. I also sat in the back seat just to see how my guests would feel, and the leg room is perfect. I am 6' and had more than enough leg room with my driver seat pushed back all the way."

Great vehicle so far

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Looks great, handles great, mpg great."

Cons: "No deals on them, need keyless on lower models."

"We have the 2014 GT and it has so been as advertised. First two tanks of gas were over 30mpg with AWD which is great for not being broke in. Can't comment on AWD as snow has not arrived yet. We wanted an AWD that got good gas mileage, and only considered the Sante Fe and ended liking the 6 when we saw it but stuck with the Mazda. Handles very tight and responsive with good breaking, sitting higher will be nice in winter with snow banks. Only complaints is dealers do not deal much and that the true keyless came on Touring model. If you want your car to look like everyone else's car then buy the RAV4 or CRV."