2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,754 - $21,308.

10/8.3

Based on 146 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Great vehicle so far

By on Monday, September 09, 2013

Pros: "Looks great, handles great, mpg great."

Cons: "No deals on them, need keyless on lower models."

"We have the 2014 GT and it has so been as advertised. First two tanks of gas were over 30mpg with AWD which is great for not being broke in. Can't comment on AWD as snow has not arrived yet. We wanted an AWD that got good gas mileage, and only considered the Sante Fe and ended liking the 6 when we saw it but stuck with the Mazda. Handles very tight and responsive with good breaking, sitting higher will be nice in winter with snow banks. Only complaints is dealers do not deal much and that the true keyless came on Touring model. If you want your car to look like everyone else's car then buy the RAV4 or CRV."

Almost Perfect - If it Matches Your Criteria.

By on Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pros: "It drives most like my new BMW 2002."

Cons: "iPod / USB interface doesn't work well."

"The 2014 Mazda CX-5 is the absolute perfect car – if your criteria is: 1) Drives like a small BMW sedan, 2) Carries camping gear, bikes and kayaks down bad dirt roads to your favorite primitive campground. For a compact cross-over SUV it is high on utility and it is the first SUV where the S truly does mean sports car-like. However, it is not the perfect car if your criteria includes: 1) Tomb-quiet interior under all road conditions and speeds, 2) Zero intrusion of road-feel of any kind through the brakes, steering or suspension or 3) Extended off-road terrain crawling. Despite high ground clearance, fairly high seating position and a tall SUV body, it corners fast with no discernible body lean. At any semi-sane speed it is quiet inside, the only noise being a low level wind-woooosh from the mirrors. The ride is very compliant and sports sedan-like over marginal surfaces. The steering is very precise - both light at parking speed and well weighted for feedback at higher speeds. The suspension allows for full power acceleration and cornering over broken and undulating surfaces with no drama. Brake modulation is linear with little pedal travel and no unexpected grab as you approach full foot pressure. The engine produces good torque from about 2200 rpm. This minimizes downshifting of the (extremely smooth) 6 speed automatic when accelerating after a traffic slow-down, or when going uphill with additional people or gear on-board. It also pulls quite strongly to over 5000 rpm – great for 40-70 mph passing. Acceleration is responsive enough to put a smile on your face coming out of a twisty turn in 3rd gear. Rapid fully manual up-shifting and down-shifting is easy with the lever pulled over into the manual shift gate next to your right thigh. Even in manual mode, stomping the gas produces an instant kick-down to the lowest useable gear. In automatic mode the optimum gear is selected immediately, even downshifting when approaching a stop or when going downhill. When driven with a light foot in automatic mode it shifts up early to maximize gas mileage. Fast and responsive in manual mode and easy and efficient in automatic – perfect. The exterior styling is sleek, muscular and emotive without being overdone. The interior is elegant rather than flashy, even a bit austere – like an Italian suit. Small buttons and virtual buttons on touch screens are minimized in favor of rotating knobs and push switches that provide tactile feedback and can be found and operated without taking your eyes off the road. An excellent balance of function vs. fashion. The wide use of soft-touch materials adds to the impression of quality. The seats are initially firm, but feel comfortable and supportive even after several hours on the road. Substantial side bolsters keep you in place during spirited cornering. Rear seating and leg/foot room is spacious for 2 adults, but “cozy” for 3 adults. The driver’s seat adjusts for height, tilt and lumbar support. When combined with the tilt and telescoping steering, drivers of all sizes should find a perfect position. The 3 individually folding 40-20-40 seat backs will accommodate a mountain bike with the front wheel still attached, or 2 adults in the rear seats plus long items like skis or 2X4s. Mine is a Grand Touring All Wheel Drive with Tech Package. It includes a Bose stereo, sunroof, back-up camera, Xenon High Intensity headlights (that steer with the front wheels and self-level as people and gear are added), leather seats, Bluetooth, a Tom-Tom nav system plus blind spot monitoring and low speed collision avoidance. It has the highest EPA gas mileage results among the 20+ compact SUV models. And according to owner reviews it regularly returns better highway mileage than the EPA figure. My cumulative average mileage for 3000 miles of mountain roads and highways is 27 mpg. Best mileage was 29.8 mpg on a 600 mile trip that took me from sea level to 9500 ft (3 times) in the Sierra Nevada. Currently Consumer Reports predicts that long term reliability will be above average."

Good car but over-rated.

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, front and rear leg room."

Cons: "noisy ride, bad stereo, rear seat won't recline"

"I bought a 2014 cx-5 Touring model after reading a comparison between it and three other new models. The Mazda beat out the other cars handily so when I test drove it I didn't pay enough attention to the car. First thing I noticed after I bought it was how awful the stereo sounded. I can't remember owning a car with a stereo that sounded so bad that I didn't even want to listen to music! I should have upgraded to the Bose sound system. The blue tooth works well enough but there again, when I talk on the phone, it sounds like the other person is in a box. Another major annoyance was that sales person told me that I could get up to 35 miles per gallon in it. I made a trip from Texas to Minnesota and back driving the speed limit with the cruise control on. The best mileage I could get was 30 mpg and most of the time just about 28 mpg! Not bad gas mileage but nowhere near what the sales people were telling me. The Toyota Sienna that I traded in for this car was a much better car for family vacation. Much quieter, more room and gas mileage was still about 25 mpg. I wish the Mazda had more storage compartments and that the back seat would recline. My kids could never get comfortable in the back. How hard would that have been to make? The road noise was also pretty bad. Other things are the clock is hard to read and the space behind the back seat is small. I guess it's about as good as it gets for now in the compact suv segment. Don't get me wrong. There are many good features like all the air bags, back up camera, power drivers seat and the blue tooth connectivity. I also like the push button start but wish that you could unlock the door from a button on the outside of the car. I would still recommend the car to a friend but it's not the car I thought I was buying."

Not a very comfortable ride, too confining

By on Saturday, August 03, 2013

Reason: not comfortable

Pros: "safety features, gas mileage."

Cons: "uncomfortable seat, too small of an interior"

"I owned this Mazda for 1 month, and sold it to buy another Honda Odyssey. Honda is far superior for a comfortable ride. I couldn't stand the thought of keeping this car for a year let alone 10 years. I took a huge loss on the car, but I am much happier in a comfortable Honda. I bought this based on consumer report reviews, but it was not big enough for me. I was trying to downsize from a van, but I went back to a van. Minimal interior storage. No locking glove box. No buttons to open my garage door. Back seat only seats 2 adults, not 3 like I had hoped."

awesome

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "everything but great style.."

Cons: "leather seats still stiff"

"GREAT PURCHASE...drove the bland cr-v, almost bought it until we found the mazda gt with tech package...almost as fun to drive as our corvette...couldn't be happier smooth quiet and worth the extra 1200.00...if you buy this car you wont be dissapointed"