2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,389 - $20,948.

10/8.3

Based on 129 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Best Vehicle so far

By on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Cons: "wish it had the wipers that come on when it rains."

"For the past 15 years I have owned Mazda's. You name the model, I bought it. I have never been dissatified with this vehicle. I will probably die owning a Mazda. My new Mazda is wonderful on gas. On a recent trip, highway milage was 30mpg. In town, 27 to 28mpg. The money I have saved in fuel charges has made up for the purchase of the vehicle. My 2013 CX5 I bought just when it came out. Love Mazda, Love my Dealership, Love my car."

Best vehicle value in its class

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "31 MPG on an AWD is crazy."

Cons: "the gas tank popper is in a bad spot."

"I needed an awd or 4x4 that would go in the winter but could also handle my 3hr round trip daily commute. And my AWD sport (low trim) does both while avg 30.9MPG! My commute is even enjoyable with my comfy cloth seats, comfy ride, low blind spots, Bluetooth and sound system. Speaking of blind spots, The thing I love most about my AWD sport is that you have nearly no blind spots. The mirrors are perfectly shaped to give you a nice view of everything. This vehicle really feels like you're driving a car half its size."

Looks good, drives better and highly useful!!

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Great value for price, fun to drive, looks great"

Cons: "Nothing significant"

"Bottom Line Up Front: I bought my 2014 Soul Red Metallic Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring at the end of May and couldn't be happier with it! It looks great, drives wonderfully and is exceeding the advertised MPG ratings. Why did I buy this car? My family moved to South Dakota this past December and didn't own a car with AWD. Our cars were FWD and had always done fine in snow...on relatively level ground. However, our new house is at the top of a hill. After getting stuck in the snow and having to walk up the hill to the house one too many times, we decided to pursue a car with AWD before next winter. Much research and test driving ensued. We looked at the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Subaru Outback and Forester as well as the Mazda CX-5. Test drove them all multiple times before settling on the Mazda. Comparing the safety ratings, fuel economy, cargo capacity, etc. the cars all come out fairly similarly. In my opinion, the main differentials were looks and driving style. The CX-5 has the sleekest lines in its class and is far and away the most fun of the cars we tested to drive. It felt much more nimble and agile than the others and now it's in my garage. Mazda advertises 24 MPG city and 30 MPG highway for the AWD CX-5 with the bigger engine. I've yet to drive a full tank of gas on just a road trip, but I'm averaging 28-29.5 MPG combined driving around town and small stints on the interstate over the past six weeks. So, I'm very pleased with those results. The mileage definitely decreases going uphill, more than I would've thought. But, what goes up must come down, and this balances out with elevation changes on a round trip. Also, the owner's manual states that the MPG will really start to decrease over 60 MPH. So far, though, it seems to me like the point where the mileage really starts to drop is over 70 MPH. On level ground at 70 MPH I'm still getting 30+ MPG, but it goes down as the speed/RPMs increase above 70 MPH. Interior-wise, the car is very comfortable. The leather breathes well and doesn't get nearly as hot in the summer heat (at least so far) as I thought it might. The only competitor vehicle that I thought had a slightly better ergonomically laid out cockpit/better use of interior space was the Honda CR-V, but the CX-5 was a very close second. All the controls are easy to reach and operate, space is well-utilized and the instruments are easy to read. The black interior does show dirt fairly easily, but it also cleans up quite easily as well with minimal effort. In summary, if you are in the market for a small SUV, then I highly recommend the Mazda CX-5. It has great safety ratings, has fuel economy ratings at the top of the class (and is exceeding them so far in my experience), is comfortable and fun to drive and looks great. Buy with confidence!!"

Great looking but needs work

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Looks, seats, blind spot monitor, rearview camera"

Cons: "Armrests uncomfortable for tall drivers, stereo"

"I own a 2014 Touring FWD CX-5. The new engine is a big improvement over the 2013 - smooth with good power. Fit and finish are excellent with comfortable cloth seats. I love the blind spot monitor and the rearview camera - great safety enhancements. The are a few problems though that take a lot away from this car: the driver's door window ledge is at a right angle rather than rounded like most vehicles and is not well-padded making it extremely uncomfortable to rest left arm while driving, which being 6'1" is where my elbow would rest. Similarly, the center console/armrest is too low and not well-padded, making resting your right arm/elbow difficult. The base stereo speakers are awful - much worse than stock speakers on other cars I've owned. The projector headlights bounce far more than other cars and are distracting. The CX-5 is great looking, but needs work."

Road Noise

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "Fuel Economy, it is a great driving small SUV"

Cons: "Road noise, road noise, hood shakes"

"There is a great deal of road noise on this vehicle at highway speeds, particularly with concrete pavement (Interstates). In April I test drove the CX 5 and 4 other comparable SUVs, all the others (little to no road noise) were driven on the Interstate (dealers in the area) the only one not driven on the Interstate was the Mazda, my fault. The noise appears to be coming out of the rear wheel well area. I spend quite a bit of time on the Interstates for my job and the noise is constant. Friends say "just turn up the radio", but that’s not a solution. Both Consumer Reports and Popular Mechanics magazines have made it a point in their reviews to mention the "noise issue", wish I had read them first. The decision to purchase was based on my need to improve fuel economy, the looks and how the vehicle physically drove. (all of these are great) But I have regretted my purchase since the 1st road trip. Either a financial loss is taken by trading / selling it or I do something about it. So I have driven with the local dealer's lead Mazda mechanic, who said that it does appear that the noise is coming from the wheel wells and that the noise is acceptable, but referred me to the Service Manager. The Service Manager and the Mazda Regional Manager drove it and it was reported back to me by the Service Manager that the Regional said that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and that was it. The SM said he would contact the Sales Dept to see if they would cover an undercoating for the wheel wells. Still waiting….. to hear back. If I don’t hear back then I will pay for something to lessen the “noise”. Of my last 5 vehicle purchases the CX 5 is the only one to have this issue."