2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,753 - $21,326.

10/8.3

Based on 148 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Fantastic vehicle.

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "Driveability"

Cons: "Back up camera screen is a little small."

"To put this in perspective, I'm a 60 year old male who cut his teeth on British cars and still drives a Miata, summers only. Bought my wife a new a new '13 Accord V6 almost two years ago. Fastest production 0-60 fwd car you could by and drives amazing. With that said, I was looking to replace my '03 Kia Sorrento EX 4wd that had been a great little tank, dog and stuff hauler. I really thought I'd replace it with a CRV. I don't drive the Accord often, and as I'm not techy find the Bluetooth confusing to remember. So figured the CRV would be the same layout making it easier to remember. All the reviews I read of the CX5 and CRV all pretty much gave a slight nod to the Mazda, and I figured I could give up the benefits of the Mazda to get the same OS of the Hondas. Until I drove them both. The Honda, though I'm sure is very high quality, is boring as mud to drive. When little old ladies decide to drive small SUV's, this will be their choice. I could detect the difference in the Mazda before I even got out of the parking lot. The difference that I thought would be slight is staggering in how they drive, and the cons I was prepared for never materialized. Engine and road noise in the Mazda are less, and handling isn't even in the same ballpark. To clarify, I bought a white/sand Grand Touring AWD w/ Tech. pkg., and I did purchase the cargo matt (carpeted) which dresses it up a bit, but thought would help with road noise issues I read about. Don't know if that was the cure, but it's quieter than the CRV EX-L. Maybe it's in part the 19" rims, but I think of it more as a sport sedan with lots of storage. I'm 6' tall and very comfortable behind the wheel, and can get in the back seat and not have my head or knees touch anything. Four six footers fit fine. Oddly compared to other comments I find all the tech stuff very intuitive and easy to set up. Wife and I have Androids and they pared up with no issues. To me the Bose is awesome. Even driving in town at a reasonable level drowns out any engine or outside noise. I can't comment on reliability as I've only had the car a week. I'm averaging 25 mpg. For the life of me I can't recognize any higher level of refinement in the CRV over the CX5, although I do think the black interior looks rather cheap while the sand looks straight out of a BMW. This car puts a smile on my face when I drive it and the CRV made me yawn."

Was skeptical but SO glad I bought it

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive and great gas mileage"

"I was between getting a Ford Escape and the Mazda Cx-5- I'm so so glad I bought the Mazda! I test drove both and the Mazda drives as easily as a car, whereas the Escape feels like it's trying to be a baby truck. The things I will mention that I did not know until I went into the dealership were: 1. The tires have nitrogen in them and there is a sensor to let you know if you're low. That's great, except most places don't fill tires with nitrogen. You can put air in them but I don't think the sensor work as well. 2. You do need to put plus gas in the car- I pay about $35 every time I fill up, so that really isn't a big deal for this car. 3. My transmission had to be replaced and the dealership was completely on top of my car and gave me a new CX-5 to drive while mine was being worked on, and they replaced the entire transmission with a new one in four days and it was all covered by warranty. I am currently getting 29.8 miles to the gallon and have get to drop below 29 miles on average. This car is really fun to drive- really zippy! It has great room for passengers in the back. My family is full of large Texas sized men who are over six feet tall and they sit very comfortably in my car. I highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in it! I was bought Ford for years and this was a completely different animal!"

Best vehicle value in its class

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "31 MPG on an AWD is crazy."

Cons: "the gas tank popper is in a bad spot."

"I needed an awd or 4x4 that would go in the winter but could also handle my 3hr round trip daily commute. And my AWD sport (low trim) does both while avg 30.9MPG! My commute is even enjoyable with my comfy cloth seats, comfy ride, low blind spots, Bluetooth and sound system. Speaking of blind spots, The thing I love most about my AWD sport is that you have nearly no blind spots. The mirrors are perfectly shaped to give you a nice view of everything. This vehicle really feels like you're driving a car half its size."

Best small CUV on the market

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "pleasure to drive."

Cons: "GPS system voice recognizition is "iffy""

"I researched and drove many of the other small CUVs on the market - Chev, Ford, Honda, Toyota - my opinion, the CX-5 is by far the best. I own the "14" GT with Touring package, the majority of my driving is city - about 80% city and 20% hway. MPG over 1,500 miles is 30.1 - not just from the trip computer but using the "old fashioned" method (miles traveled/gal). The vehicle is well built, no rattles or other distracting noises. Accl. is smooth and exceeds expectations for a 2.5 4-cyl. Seating is comfortable."

This car makes driving fun again!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Good value, fuel efficient, roomy, nimble driving"

Cons: "Mainly lack-luster and impersonal interior design"

"This is a great car to drive! It's quick to pick-up speed when you need it to. The steering is right-on and the handling is quite nimble - you almost forget that you're not driving a coupe/sedan. It does not drive like an SUV/CUV at all. Freeway driving is smooth. This car will make you want to drive more. Fuel efficiency is close to advertised numbers - but, keep in mind that I am reviewing the GT AWD trim. Still, I feel 29-30mpg is quite acceptable for the size of the car. Another nice feature is that it takes normal 87 octane gasoline; no need to break the bank just for a Sunday afternoon cruise. I did not purchase the "Technology Package" as the features didn't really align with my priorities and lifestyle. Still, the GT comes packed with standard tech features like: Blind Spot monitoring, HD & Satellite (SIRIUS) radio, Bose speakers throughout, multi-position moonroof, cruise control, Tire Pressure Monitoring and rear back-up camera to name a few. For me, this is "enough-tech". For a smallish family, this is the perfect sized car. I manged to fit 2 adults, 2 children with booster seats, a medium dog kennel and some travel bags comfortably. On another trip, I packed in 4 adults comfortably - with 2 bigger guys in the back seat (one guy is 6'6") without complaints of head or leg space. Multiple snowboards traveled inside the vehicle thanks to the 40/20/40 seat folding positions. As much as I love my new car, there are a few things that I've been reluctant to pick-out as inconveniences, design flaws or frustrations. The first being the flimsy moonroof shade. It feels thin and does little to dampen the road noise when closed. Another thing that bugs me is the aesthetics (or lack there) of the instrument panel. This could be just my tastes and opinions, but I feel it's very plain and lacks integration. I've seen better displays on base model Nissan Altima's. Keeping with nit-picking on aesthetics, I wished Mazda had been just as bold with their interior designs as they did with their exterior. The whole center area is very minimal and sorry to say, boring. The orange-y LED and back lighting make the instruments panel feel dated and almost out of place. Lastly, I would like to complain about the shortness of the center console. It is short and length, height and depth. I find myself having to lean in toward the center to make use of the center console. My wife who is about 5 inches shorter also has the same complaint. Although, it is deep and houses the USB and AUX ports, I just wished it was a tad higher and wee bit longer. With that being said, I am extremely happy with my purchase. The vehicle is perfect the lifestyle and family size that I have. The car looks great, is fun to drive and has everything that I need for a great driving experience. My advice would be, if you can afford it - spring for the Grand Touring trim, it's worth the price and you get more value for your money! Zoom - Zoom!"