2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,671 - $21,164.

10/8.3

Based on 125 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Most fun vehicle to drive.

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

"Excellent fit and finish with user friendly controls. Of all vehicles I have owned(too many to count) I give the CX5 a 10."

I love this vehicle!

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

"I have owned 2 Grand Cherokees and I love those! I was going to buy a new Grand Cherokee but they are so much larger now and they have built them to be so complicated with so many extras--too much to study! The gas mileage was also not as good as I wanted. I test drove all of the mid-sized SUVs or Crossovers. The Mazda CX5 beat all of them! It is smaller, which is what I wanted and it drives great with great gas mileage! It also has all of the bells and whistles of all of the new vehicles but I don't have to constantly check the manual to find out how something works!! It is fun to drive! I feel like I am driving a sports car! The price is really great, too! I got everything I wanted in a vehicle and more!!!"

nice car

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "HANDLES AND DIVES GREAT EXCELLANT MPG.."

Cons: "SHORT WARRANTY NO AUTO HEADLIGHTS DRIVER SEAT"

"rides well. mpg in town 25-28 hwy at 75 26 to 32 mpg plenty of room inside too. seat is a bit narrow for americans and the headlights are not automatic. warranty is stingy , but I haven't used it at all. resale appears TO BE EXCELLANT TOO"

Car drives great

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, great steering, great look"

Cons: "placement of time on dashboard"

"Just bought the 2015 maxda cx-5 touring trim. I test drove many vehicles and it came down to this vehicle driving the smoothest, along with high quality steering control, interior and exterior design, and sound system. For a compact SUV this vehicle gets very good MPG. Also, the cars steering control was by far the most outstanding feature i liked with this car. The steering makes you feel like you have full control without the tipping feeling off a sharp turn that I felt with most other makes for compact SUVs. The one thing i think needs to be worked on is the dashboard. The dashboard is very nice, but the placement of the time is a little low and forces you to take your eyes off the road when looking at the time. Overall the rest of the dashboard is nice, it is not over the edge in technology which i liked. Also the trunk is a pretty ideal size, I am a skier and a snowboarded and i did not need a roof rack because the middle seat can go down and you can still fit 4 people in the car on the way to a trip without feeling crammed. I also sat in the back seat just to see how my guests would feel, and the leg room is perfect. I am 6' and had more than enough leg room with my driver seat pushed back all the way."

Terrible Infotainment System

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pros: "Nice styling. Good handling dynamics."

Cons: "The worst premium infotainment system. Ever."

2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

"I have a top-of-the-line, 2015 CX-5 GT AWD with Technology Package and Bose stereo system. If you must buy this vehicle, do yourself a favor and skip the Bose and the Tom Tom navigation. It is ridiculously inferior to other automakers' premium audio/navigation offerings. Mazda has been criticized for this system (in both the CX-5 and the 6 sedan), but it does nothing. The sound from the Bose system is mediocre, at best. The navigation system is slow and buggy. The iPod interface is a joke. Please take the time to try the system, thoroughly, before opting to purchase. Had I known, I would have bought the base stereo and upgraded to a quality system after delivery or skipped this vehicle, altogether."

2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

Mazda CX5

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pros: "Drives well, looks good."

Cons: "Uncomfortable seats, hard to see out back window"

"First purchase of a Mazda. What I like is the ease of driving, the body style, the blind spot feature, Bluetooth, and the automatic seat control from the back hatch. What I don't like is that the seats are very uncomfortable, particularly the bottom but the head rest too; it is difficult to see out of the back window, had to remove the head rests to see; the cup holders in the front seat are too close together, a flared cup hits the top of a second cup and knocks the lids off; there is no cargo cover in the back as a standard feature as it was in my Toyota; the clock is too low, it should be somewhere in the upper screen. There could be more door storage. I also hear more outside noise than in my Highlander."

best mileage ever for small SUV

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pros: "mileage and dependability"

Cons: "slower and rougher ride than CX-7"

"I bought this car after owning the CX-7, since I wanted to increase my mileage. My mileage went from 27 to 33, but I went from a slightly larger SUV to a smaller one. I had the peppier 2.5 liter on the CX-7, now I have a 2.0. It is less peppy, but I wanted the better mileage. The CX-7 is better on every aspect, except mileage. I would like to see the CX-7 with a slightly smaller engine, but add a turbo for increased mileage and performance. The CX-7 has a better interior, better accessories and more room and a better smoother ride."

Very spunky little car.

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"Handles great, excellent pickup!"

Fantastic vehicle.

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "Driveability"

Cons: "Back up camera screen is a little small."

"To put this in perspective, I'm a 60 year old male who cut his teeth on British cars and still drives a Miata, summers only. Bought my wife a new a new '13 Accord V6 almost two years ago. Fastest production 0-60 fwd car you could by and drives amazing. With that said, I was looking to replace my '03 Kia Sorrento EX 4wd that had been a great little tank, dog and stuff hauler. I really thought I'd replace it with a CRV. I don't drive the Accord often, and as I'm not techy find the Bluetooth confusing to remember. So figured the CRV would be the same layout making it easier to remember. All the reviews I read of the CX5 and CRV all pretty much gave a slight nod to the Mazda, and I figured I could give up the benefits of the Mazda to get the same OS of the Hondas. Until I drove them both. The Honda, though I'm sure is very high quality, is boring as mud to drive. When little old ladies decide to drive small SUV's, this will be their choice. I could detect the difference in the Mazda before I even got out of the parking lot. The difference that I thought would be slight is staggering in how they drive, and the cons I was prepared for never materialized. Engine and road noise in the Mazda are less, and handling isn't even in the same ballpark. To clarify, I bought a white/sand Grand Touring AWD w/ Tech. pkg., and I did purchase the cargo matt (carpeted) which dresses it up a bit, but thought would help with road noise issues I read about. Don't know if that was the cure, but it's quieter than the CRV EX-L. Maybe it's in part the 19" rims, but I think of it more as a sport sedan with lots of storage. I'm 6' tall and very comfortable behind the wheel, and can get in the back seat and not have my head or knees touch anything. Four six footers fit fine. Oddly compared to other comments I find all the tech stuff very intuitive and easy to set up. Wife and I have Androids and they pared up with no issues. To me the Bose is awesome. Even driving in town at a reasonable level drowns out any engine or outside noise. I can't comment on reliability as I've only had the car a week. I'm averaging 25 mpg. For the life of me I can't recognize any higher level of refinement in the CRV over the CX5, although I do think the black interior looks rather cheap while the sand looks straight out of a BMW. This car puts a smile on my face when I drive it and the CRV made me yawn."

First Impression - Excellent!

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Styling, Quality Materials, Handling, Value"

Cons: "Noisy on Cold Starts."

"2015 Grand Touring with the Technology Package. We've only had the CX-5 for a month or two. We love it! It has looks up there with the Luxury brands. It handles like a dream. The fit and finish is excellent. We've driven it on one long trip (500+ miles each way) and found it very comfortable and roomy. It's noisy for the first 20-30 seconds on cold start, due to the exhaust recirculation feature that i guess lowers emissions (pumps the fuel-rich exhaust back into the engine for a re-burn, or something like that). Otherwise it is very quiet! We had a 2008 CR-V which we have since given to our college age daughter. This car is way better looking, inside and out, with a much more updated and richly appointed interior. It also gets better mileage. If it's as reliable as the CR-V, Mazda will have a real winner on their hands!"

Good car with navigation problem

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "fuel efficient, great design, smooth, BSM!!!"

Cons: "not enough power, tech. problems (GPS sucks)"

"I bought this car in July and I love it. It's very smooth and fuel efficient. However, I noticed that my navigation does not work well. The GPS loses signal every 5 seconds, and keeps rerouting itself. Last time I took a trip to Oregon, in the middle of the road, it detected me in the middle of the ocean. I took it in to the shop to fix it and they said there's a clitch in 2015 Mazda CX5 navigations. Not 2014 but only in 2015 and they are trying to find a solution to fix it. Once they find a solution, only then they will be able to fix my navigation! What the heck? They shouldn't sold me this car in the first place then! This car is perfect for me if it wasn't for this problem and everytime I drive it, I got frustrated by the navigation which impacted my driving experience of this car. This tech-package costed me extra $1500 too. I would advise to check the navigation while test-driving before buying this car."

My new spaceship!!

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, technology, city gas mileage"

Cons: "Boise stereo a bit weak; black interior"

"Love this car!! First new, new car in over 20 years and WOW how technology has changed!! Took me at least a month to get use to and enjoy all of the features. My favorite features are the blind-spot monitoring and back-up camera!! Oh and the headlights - how they hug the road and turn as you turn. Love to drive at night just to watch them!! The SkyActive on this vehicle is amazing particularly how it makes a 4 cylinder car drive like a 6 cylinder. I have Never owned a 4C before and was hesitant, but no hesitation here!! Gets up and goes with the best of them - well maybe not the sports cars - LOL! City gas mileage has been great at 28.5 but not as happy with the highway mileage at just 30 but driving habits come into play here. It is a comfortable car - 5 is a tight fit but possible depending on size of passengers. My husband fits well at 6'2 and 250 which was surprising - but he is comfortable."

Great mid size SUV to drive

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

"Refined , good economy ,reliable , great handling . Drove to Florida in two days without any issues and in comfort"

uncomfortabe car

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

"this car is great in snow but you do lack in power my main complaint is I have a bad back and this the most uncomfortable car I have ever owned and am now stuck with it have tried lumbar pillows with no good result."

Best Purchase

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "SLEEK COMFORTABLE DEPENDABLE ECONOMY"

Cons: "NONE"

"The mileage is incredible the value is top notch. I am exceptionally pleased with this purchase. The technology package was well worth the extra cost!"

Good Rental Car Experience

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Fun to drive and good acceleration."

Cons: "Underwhelmed by gas mileage and chipped paint."

"I had a 2 day out of town business trip and was given this car by the rental agency. Here are my thoughts after driving it for about 460 miles. PROS: Good acceleration and engine noise isolation in the passenger compartment. Handles road bumps well. Good interior materials and build quality. Seats are stiff, but not uncomfortable. CONS: Touch screen radio is set about 2.5" into the upper dashboard causing me to bend to reach it each time I wanted to use it. It got annoying after a while. I drove about 95% highway miles at about 70 mph with a lot of cruise control and little air conditioner use, because of cooler weather lately and averaged just under 27 mpg, calculating it at the gas pump. The trip meter was consistently pegging it in the low 30s mpg, so it was way off from actual mileage. I know this is AWD, but I was a little disappointed after seeing so many TV commercials touting this car to hit up to 35 mpg. I saw several areas with chipped paint, but no dents. I know this is a rental car, but I wonder how thin the paint is? Overall, I enjoyed it as a rental and would probably request one again."

good car just wznt a luxurary car

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pros: "good car"

"just looking got a lexus"

Awesome Ride! Sweet Exterior! Fun to Drive!

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pros: "Priced right! Fun to drive! Plenty of room!"

Cons: "Took a lot of time for 1st to 2nd gear break-in."

"Purchased April 2012 the 2013 Model. I looked for 6 months before deciding on the Mazda CX5 and I'm glad I waited. Given that I keep my vehicles 12 or more years, I was pretty discerning in my selection. I was looking specifically for a manual transmission (hard to find these days) because they have fewer issues than manual transmissions overall(any maker). I'm not disappointed with Mazda. I traded a 2001 Toyota Corolla because I was looking for an SUV and this model fit the bill on every level. Gas mileage on my trip from CA to CO exceeded 35MPG even with the AC on in the middle of August. Around town and back and forth to work 22-25 MPG. Lots of compliments on the body design. Not the right fit for a growing family, but great for a family of 4. I've not experienced any paint pitting issues mentioned by some reviewers, but that might be a regional thing (snow/gravel/salt)."

I Still love my mazda cx5

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and fuel efficency"

Cons: "bit less power"

"its very practical car for your family or trip and its very very fuel efficency car that save alot of money on gas.next time i will buy new mazda 6 or 3 for sure."

Great vehicle. Very pleased.

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Value, ride, look and feel, safety features"

"Looked at many SUV's. Really like RDX, but in the end bought the CX-5. FWD, Grand Touring model is a great vehicle. Solid feel, handles well, good gas mileage ( about 28 mpg), many nice features. I have owned Mazda's previously and they are very dependable. Overall just feel like I got a really nice vehicle for my money. Nice car inside and out!"

Great car-chassis suv/crossover

By on Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage, good design"

Cons: "not much pep in first gear"

"This car has been great for us this past year. The 3 way split backseat is handy, dash and steering wheel controls are nicely designed. The alt input, usb plugs and bluetooth were updgrades from my old truck. It is slow to cross roads from stop so don't pop in front of traffic, and it's a bit noisy on the highway. I'm sure to keep it light they put less insulation. But we picked it for mileage first, looks great, and does what we bought it to do. Baby seats fit, but sometimes we had to adjust the front seats forward a bit where we wouldn't otherwise. Might need a larger car later, but it's perfect for us now."

Great all purpose vehicle and fun to drive

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage, reliability, looks"

Cons: "rear seat fold down issues, dust collecting dash"

"I purchased the 2014 touring model at the end of 2014. I drive about 40000 miles per year with most of the miles on the highway. I was considering the CRV and the Ford Escape. I ruled the Escape out when my neighbor told me about 3 long recalls he had. The CRV didn't have the pep or road handling of the CX5 but the back laid down better than the CX5. The gas mileage rating was slightly better than the others and with more power it seemed like a good deal for my long trips and drives in the mountains. Actual mileage is significantly affected by speed around 32 at 65, 30-31 at 70 and around 35 at 55mph. This is likely because of the relatively high profile(wind resistance). When I make many short trips with startups I get about 25mpg. Reliability is great, handling amazing for an SUV and economy very good. I carry a lot of camping gear and it has great cargo space. I like the dark windows in the rear. It cloaks the stuff in the back a bit. The blind spot monitor is great and I like the backup camera, though an backup proximity alarm would be good. I put a rubber mat in the back and really don't notice the road noise people mention. A couple minor items is the top of the dash seems to be a dust magnet and is hard to clean. The passing visibility is ok but could be better. The ride is a bit hard over bumps because of the relatively tight suspension. The back seat cannot fold down when the front seat is fully back and the rear headrests are on. I will look at similar cars in another 2 years but there is a high probability I will buy another CX5"

So Far, So Good!

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "Value for the money, fun to drive, good mileage"

Cons: "Rearward visiblity"

"I knew I wanted to replace my 2011 Mini Cooper with an SUV. I did a lot of shopping/test driving of small SUVs, and eventually came to the conclusion that the CX-5 was the best value for the $$$. I bought a fully loaded AWD GT Tech package version. I bought the Mazda because it is not as common as the RAV4, CRV, Escape & Equinox. I felt that it handled better, looked better, and was overall more fun to drive. My mileage is spot on as to what the EPA estimates are. Also, the AWD system is top notch. It was put to good use over the tough winter of 2014."

GREAT SMALL SUV

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Interior, engine, ride, style, value, controls"

"I bought our CX-5 couple weeks ago love this SUV it has everything what you need for a small family SUV. Love it so much with three children and 2 dogs everybody be comfortable riding on the trip in CX-5. Its got rain sensor wipers, navigation in TOMTOM, iPod interface, blue tooth, Pandora radio capability, rearview monitor camera, infotainment center which love how shows me when album is playing with the picture showing one side and other shows artist and title of person singing song listen to. The heated seats are best in great seat cushion love the design in them looks more sportier the way they were factory built. CX-5 handles excellent I give this SUV a 5* star rating on being more safety for our family and having so much features in its class. Drive to it is very responsive and its quiet even has an 4 cylinder 2.5 skyactiv engine love how have best performance not lousy as some vehicles would be. Before making a purchase with our Mazda CX-5 did my homework on smaller SUVs in better values and features looked at RAV4, CR-V, Forester and CX-5 I decided to buy a Mazda over the competitors because have a better value and drove the best with having plenty of power after looking and test driving others I did my homework on they were great crossovers but just didn't give me a more responsive ride and handling like the CX-5. We still own a 2000 Grand Cherokee with no issues but found the CX-5 rides better and have bit more features than ever. We love Mazda products."

Super Fun Daily Driver!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Good Value and Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Lack-luster and impersonal interior design"

"This is a great car to drive! It's quick to pick-up speed when you need it to. The steering is right-on and the handling is quite nimble - you almost forget that you're not driving a coupe/sedan. It does not drive like an SUV/CUV at all. Freeway driving is smooth. This car will make you want to drive more. Fuel efficiency is close to advertised numbers - but, keep in mind that I am reviewing the GT AWD trim. Still, I feel 29-30mpg is quite acceptable for the size of the car. Another nice feature is that it takes normal 87 octane gasoline; no need to break the bank just for a Sunday afternoon cruise. I did not purchase the "Technology Package" as the features didn't really align with my priorities and lifestyle. Still, the GT comes packed with standard tech features like: Blind Spot monitoring, HD & Satellite (SIRIUS) radio, Bose speakers throughout, multi-position moonroof, cruise control, Tire Pressure Monitoring and rear back-up camera to name a few. For me, this is "enough-tech". For a smallish family, this is the perfect sized car. I manged to fit 2 adults, 2 children with booster seats, a medium dog kennel and some travel bags comfortably. On another trip, I packed in 4 adults comfortably - with 2 bigger guys in the back seat (one guy is 6'6") without complaints of head or leg space. Multiple snowboards traveled inside the vehicle thanks to the 40/20/40 seat folding positions. As much as I love my new car, there are a few things that I've been reluctant to pick-out as inconveniences, design flaws or frustrations. The first being the flimsy moonroof shade. It feels thin and does little to dampen the road noise when closed. Another thing that bugs me is the aesthetics (or lack there) of the instrument panel. This could be just my tastes and opinions, but I feel it's very plain and lacks integration. I've seen better displays on base model Nissan Altima's. Keeping with nit-picking on aesthetics, I wished Mazda had been just as bold with their interior designs as they did with their exterior. The whole center area is very minimal and sorry to say, boring. The orange-y LED and back lighting make the instruments panel feel dated and almost out of place. Lastly, I would like to complain about the shortness of the center console. It is short and length, height and depth. I find myself having to lean in toward the center to make use of the center console. My wife who is about 5 inches shorter also has the same complaint. Although, it is deep and houses the USB and AUX ports, I just wished it was a tad higher and wee bit longer. With that being said, I am extremely happy with my purchase. The vehicle is perfect the lifestyle and family size that I have. The car looks great, is fun to drive and has everything that I need for a great driving experience. My advice would be, if you can afford it - spring for the Grand Touring trim, it's worth the price and you get more value for your money! Zoom - Zoom!"