2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,772 - $21,315.

10/8.3

Based on 146 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

Fun, good fuel efficiency, great value

By on Monday, April 20, 2015

Pros: "fun handling, LED lights, infotainmnt system"

Cons: "no rear vents, backseats don't recline"

"needed a comfotable, yet well-handling AWD vehicle and this CX-5 hits the sweetspot in terms of value for the price. nice looks, handling, updated interior for 2016 with better infotainment system sold it for me. "upgraded" from a 2011 Lexus, and yes, i mean upgraded in terms of features for convenience and safety. road noise is not as bad as feared (but i'm sure could be better). some minor things i wish it had: rear vents, rear seats that recline, odd cubbyhole in left dash (left of steering wheel) that serves no real purpose (could've made it into a change holder or something). But all in all, i was and still am impressed. i look forward to every drive in my new car!"

Best vehicle that I have ever owned.

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pros: "Great performance, style and technology."

Cons: "Honestly can't think of any."

"I got the top of the line with the I-ActiveSense and the radar cruise control is fantastic. I have not tried out the Smart Braking due to fear if it didn't work as advertised. I'll wait until it's needed and see how that works. The auto headlights and wipers work as advertised. Unbelievably nimble and fun to drive. The car has as much performance as I need without sacrificing fuel economy which is very important to me. I have about 3000 miles on it already. Makes driving fun. The knob on the console is very convenient and the infotainment system works very well with the 7" screen."

Top of the segment.

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, beautiful looks and well equipped."

Cons: "center armrest could be longer. no powerlift gate."

"After driving the Toyota Rav4 and the Honda CRV, there is no comparison with styling and performance of the CX-5.I purchased the GT model... It is by far the most fun to drive.And it looks beautiful. The Soul Red with parchment interior is awesome. Only have about 500 miles on it, so still testing MPG's."

Fantastic - A Driver's CUV

By on Friday, April 10, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, economical, options available"

Cons: "No seat position memory or heated steering wheel"

"I've only had this a short time and only 1000 miles, but the initial quality is great and it's really a blast to drive. I'm a tall guy and there is plenty of room for the kids and cargo. The technology is on par with vehicles $10k more expensive and it seems almost everything is customizable. The only things I wished it had is the heated steering wheel and memory positions on the driver's seat. Apparently the rest of the world can get that in the CX-5 - just not North America."

Lots of bang for the buck.

By on Thursday, April 09, 2015

"Quick, versatile, comfortable, easy to park, attractive, good gas mileage."

excellent automoble 40,000 trouble free miles

By on Thursday, April 09, 2015

Pros: "great price fun to drive."

Cons: "could use a slightly higher arm rest"

"Have the first cx5 excellent car. traded from cx9 and do not miss the larger car . excellent gas mileage."

Great small SUV. It drives like a car.

By on Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Pros: "Handling, parking, interior, exterior look."

Cons: "No powered automatic tailgate. No 360 view camera."

"Just bought CX5 Grand Touring With Techno Package 2 days a go. My daughter is learning to drive and going to college soon. I drive a Tundra PU truck, so it's hard to teach her. So, we went shopping for her car. I don't want her to drive small car for safety reason and I want to buy the vehicle with the highest safety rating. It's hard for her to park my PU truck. We decided to buy a small and saftest SUV. We have test drove the Honda CRV, Nissan Rogue, Toyota RAV4, and CX5. After she drove all other cars, as soon as she drove the CX5, she said this is it. CX5 is the one. She has had big problem parking the Rogue, but CX5 she can park on one try. Honestly, I want to drive this car too!LOL. So, we purchased the 2016 CX5 even it gave little discount compare to the other car and the 2015 model year of the CX5. If the new learner driver can drive and loves this car, then anyone can drive it!"

Great car but doesn't meet mileage expectations

By on Saturday, April 04, 2015

Pros: "great to drive, stylish, blindspot warnings"

Cons: "mileage results, tech interface"

"I love this car. Tried out all the mid-price and luxury models and ended up with the Mazda. It drives great and is ultra-comfortable, at least in the front seat (my back is very finicky). My only problem is that I can't get the promised mileage on my grand touring version, although I have a very light foot and pay attention to the mileage gauges. The best I get is about 29 highway and 26 city. The tech interface is slow and cumbersome, but the speakers improve over time and I get decent bass out of them"

What is so great about the CX5? Everything!

By on Friday, April 03, 2015

Pros: "great gas mileage, lots of cargo space"

Cons: "smaller towing capacity"

"I am truly happy with the CX5. It does everything I need it to do. I love how it drives (drives like my Miata), rides, and looks. I have owned it for 1 1/2 years and expect to own it for a very long time. It has out performed the previous Escape by far. Here in Michigan during the winter months my CX5 goes when other non 4 wheel drive vehicles don't. I didn't buy it for the features but I love them. The backup camera is nice, the navigation is awesome, and the blind spot monitor is very nice. I don't use the city stop feature so I cannot comment on that. I have taken it down dirt/mud roads, loaded it with all my camping gear, towed kayaks and a canoe, and bikes, and taken it on road trips. Excellent gas mileage. The only issue I really had was that I could not get the roof top carrier bars to match the vehicle color but they match the interior so its ok."

Just bought 2016 and Loving so far!

By on Sunday, March 29, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, nice interior, looks sporty"

Cons: "none so far!"

"This is for the 2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring. I relied heavily on reviews before making a final decision, so I wanted to return the favor. While I've only had the car a short time, I am really enjoying it! It is fun to drive, has great acceleration, handling, & braking. The interior is very nice and seats are comfy (got the Parchment color which I love). The screen is easy to read and I really like the "mouse" control feature. Overall a really good value if you are looking for a compact crossover that has a sporty look and feel. Was also looking at RAV4, but didn't compare as far as handling and interior. RAV interior felt cheap and wasn't nearly as fun to drive, although it does have a bit more cargo space."

good everyday suv

By on Saturday, March 21, 2015

"Very good vehicle for everyday driving. We have average 30 plus mpg since owning this vehicle for two years, most of our driving involves very little stop and go driving. It meets most of our everyday needs. We drove it to Florida and I found the driver seat to be uncomfortable after long driving periods. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a small suv."

Great car, just not for people with short legs.

By on Friday, March 20, 2015

"I enjoy all of the features of this car except for the elongated seats. I have short legs and the middle section of the seat extends about 3 inches longer than the sides of the seat. I bought this car when I had a heavy winter clothes and coat and didn't notice until the warmer weather came. Now I have a great car with seats that don't fit me..."

Nothing wife and I did not like about this car

By on Friday, March 13, 2015

Pros: "Great feel driving- stable, surefooted, spirited"

Cons: "Passenger seat could use power seat ajustability"

Wifes new zoom zoom next to hubbys pickup in drive

"Purchased the Fwd Touring model, wife use to cars with some giddy up and go, this delivers. Sport model test drive felt sluggish, get the touring or grand- the extra hp is worth it. Decided on Fwd vs Awd- pretty flat around here so just some snow too deal with and better long term fuel mileage. Touring came with the extras most want- bigger motor, backup camera, hands free for cellular and Pandora link for smart phone and other little touches. Passed on the big extras like moon roof and nav system. Wife is 5'4", I'm a tall 6'6" and we both fit comfortable in either seat. Time will tell if we get the expected use/mileage out of it but so far so good. Fuel mileage 24ish in town, 30 or so hwy with her driving (she a tad heavy on the pedal and not use cruise enough)."

Wifes new zoom zoom next to hubbys pickup in drive

O.K. but did not love it.

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Reason: uncomfortable drivers seat configuration, road noise

"Pros: Reasonably good gas mileage for that size SUV; good interior room, did well in snow and bad road conditions, handled well on back roads, etc. Cons: Lots of road noise "roar" heard inside of cabin with all windows closed; Drivers seat never stayed adjusted and was very uncomfortable-would fit a 6 foot tall man better than a 5'3" woman by far; Bose sound system was a real letdown; Interior fabric was not impressive, looked cheap; Found the backup camera and screen on dashboard to be more of an annoyance than anything else. Only ever hit 28 MPG tops even on long trips. Average was consistently 27, so not quite as good as what they tell you. I had previously driven a Jeep Liberty for 9 years and ended up trading a 2014 Mazda for a 2012 Jeep Liberty. I sacrificed the gas mileage for my own physical comfort."

Perfect for my needs

By on Saturday, February 21, 2015

Pros: "best value, ability to customize add-ons"

Cons: "road noise, lack of bass, body color"

"I was searching for a vehicle with more space than a sedan but still with excellent gas mileage. The Mazda CX-5 delivers on that! I chose to upgrade to the Bose sound system and moon roof, and loved that I had the option to pay for those without paying for the entire tech package. The ride is wonderful as well, and gas mileage is on par with expectations. There are a few negatives to the vehicle however. There is a lack of base in the upgraded sound system as well as high road noise (which is said to be typical of vehicles in this class). Both the interior and exterior seem to scratch fairly easily, and I don't love that the bumper and bottom exterior features of the car are not body-colored like other Mazda vehicles. Other than that, this is by far the best vehicle I've owned, and I still believe it is the best value in its class!"

Great car, highway mileage below expectations

By on Wednesday, January 28, 2015

"I tried every car out there before buying this SUV (traded in a 2014 Accord) and thought that this was the best value out there. I even liked it better than the BMW and Acura. I was impressed with the quality of the ride and the smooth transmission. It is really fun to drive, it has a relatively quiet interior, and uses regular gas. The drivers seat is very comfortable. What I don't like is that I'm only getting 27 mpg highway driving at 70 with cruise control most of the way. I expected at least 30 mpg. In the city, I'm getting about 26.0, paying attention to upcoming stop lights and using all the tricks available to increase mileage. I bought the Grand Touring model without the Nav/tech package since I'm happy with my 6" portable unit. Black interior--the beige was not offered with my color exterior. A few things they should change-- the instrumentation panel (really too small and slow, put the clock where you can see it, add lumbar support and electronic controls on the front passenger seat, add a subwoofer and small upper tweeter to the sound system (which is pretty good anyway), redesign the back headrests (I had to remove them to be able to see out the back window). Offer the beige interior with more exterior colors. Put a bit more soundproofing material in the doors/floor. That said, I love driving this car and am really happy I bought it."

LOVE THIS CAR!

By on Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Pros: "Fuel economy, awesome to drive, great in snow"

Cons: "Interior compartments could be a little better"

"I am a constant car buyer. As soon as I see some new style car, I sell whatever I'm driving and buy it. I've never owned a car for more than 3 years, because I get bored. The lease on my CX-5 is up in December and as terrible a financial decision it is to do, I am seriously considering buying this car. I love it! I love everything about it. It drives so smoothly and feels like a sporty little car, with the convenience and safety of an SUV. It's super comfortable and has tons of room, not to mention the Bose stereo and moon roof (but that's a separate package on the middle Touring model). The best part is how AWESOME it is in the snow, which we get a lot of in the Northeast. I have owned 7 brand new cars in 20 years, everything from convertibles to SUVs and this car is by far and away the best in the snow. And with the Skyactiv technology, the gas mileage is awesome! Love this car!"

We've very happy with this car.

By on Monday, January 12, 2015

Pros: "AWD is great in snow and it's fun to drive."

"We bought a 2015 Mazda CX5 with all-wheel-drive and really like the car. We got 29 MPG on a long trip and it seems to be about 24 MPG for all around driving. The seats are just a little more firm that we prefer but are still comfortable. Memory seats would be nice to have. The engine has plenty of power and we drive in the mountains a lot. I'm not sure if I like feature where the headlights move as you turn a corner. They take a little getting used to. I wouldn't mind having another 12 volt accessory outlet or small 110volt inverter in the back seat area. The lighting isn't too good in the rear cargo area either. The audio is good from the Bose speakers. It's a fun car to drive and it looks good too."

Test Drive the CX5 before you settle

By on Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pros: "Gas Mileage, FUN to drive, Bose Speakers"

Cons: "Turbo Please"

"I owned a 2001 Toyota Tacoma and was hard pressed to find a replacement vehicle. My needs were to find a vehicle that was fun, comfortable, fuel efficient, stylish, spacious, and an excellent value. I have to say that this CX5 fit nearly perfect compared to other crossovers and small SUVs for the price. I got the Grand Touring with the Technology Package and am loving the amenities from the Bose speakers, bigger wheels, and moon roof. Going from a V6 to a 4 Cylinder was a challenge but the Mazda CX5 for such a small SUV does have power when I need it which is adequate for my needs. The other bonus is the gas. Going from 15mpg to an average of 31mpg on regular gas is great considering I drive 70+ miles round trip 4-5 days a week."

My Second CX-5

By on Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pros: "Great MPG-Lots of Options-Great Price-Fun Car"

Cons: "None that I've found"

"I bought a 2013 Touring with Tech Package in Dec 2012. I traded an 04 CRV. I have 19000 miles on that car now.I have never gotten less than 29MPG in city driving. I researched small SUV's extensively before I bought the CX-5. Mazda was the only mfg offering all the options I wanted in the price line I wanted. I love the car. No complaints. We've taken it on 2 vacations 1500+ miles. Nav is great the MPG avg 34+ on the interstate. That model has the 155 hp engine but that hasn't proven to be a problem even when driving in the mountains of east TN. Just got home from the dealer. I traded my wife's 2005 Maxima for 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring with Tech Package. I have never owned two of the same model cars in my life, but buying my second CX-5 was a no brainer for us. Then 2015 has a 184hp engine and the car probably needed the additional HP. I obviously think the CX-5 is the best small SUV on the market."

good overall vehicle

By on Sunday, November 23, 2014

Pros: "great rear storage"

Cons: "poor placement of electric seat adjustments"

"After previously owning a CX7, I miss the additional space & elbow room. My CX5 has an uncomfortable driver's seat. The automatic seat needs to be readjusted nearly every time I get in. Many navigation issues initially which were difficult to resolve due to poor Mazda customer service. Now I have periodic issues with TomTom "searching for satellite signal" which is quite irritating since I only use it when it's needed. Due to navigation issues, I wouldn't buy this car again. Safe and reliable, the CX5 drives well in MN winters. Rear cargo is wider than other crossovers, I can easily get my child's wagon in and out of rear."

Most fun vehicle to drive.

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

"Excellent fit and finish with user friendly controls. Of all vehicles I have owned(too many to count) I give the CX5 a 10."

I love this vehicle!

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

"I have owned 2 Grand Cherokees and I love those! I was going to buy a new Grand Cherokee but they are so much larger now and they have built them to be so complicated with so many extras--too much to study! The gas mileage was also not as good as I wanted. I test drove all of the mid-sized SUVs or Crossovers. The Mazda CX5 beat all of them! It is smaller, which is what I wanted and it drives great with great gas mileage! It also has all of the bells and whistles of all of the new vehicles but I don't have to constantly check the manual to find out how something works!! It is fun to drive! I feel like I am driving a sports car! The price is really great, too! I got everything I wanted in a vehicle and more!!!"

nice car

By on Friday, October 31, 2014

Pros: "HANDLES AND DIVES GREAT EXCELLANT MPG.."

Cons: "SHORT WARRANTY NO AUTO HEADLIGHTS DRIVER SEAT"

"rides well. mpg in town 25-28 hwy at 75 26 to 32 mpg plenty of room inside too. seat is a bit narrow for americans and the headlights are not automatic. warranty is stingy , but I haven't used it at all. resale appears TO BE EXCELLANT TOO"

Car drives great

By on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, great steering, great look"

Cons: "placement of time on dashboard"

"Just bought the 2015 maxda cx-5 touring trim. I test drove many vehicles and it came down to this vehicle driving the smoothest, along with high quality steering control, interior and exterior design, and sound system. For a compact SUV this vehicle gets very good MPG. Also, the cars steering control was by far the most outstanding feature i liked with this car. The steering makes you feel like you have full control without the tipping feeling off a sharp turn that I felt with most other makes for compact SUVs. The one thing i think needs to be worked on is the dashboard. The dashboard is very nice, but the placement of the time is a little low and forces you to take your eyes off the road when looking at the time. Overall the rest of the dashboard is nice, it is not over the edge in technology which i liked. Also the trunk is a pretty ideal size, I am a skier and a snowboarded and i did not need a roof rack because the middle seat can go down and you can still fit 4 people in the car on the way to a trip without feeling crammed. I also sat in the back seat just to see how my guests would feel, and the leg room is perfect. I am 6' and had more than enough leg room with my driver seat pushed back all the way."