2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,796 - $21,330.

10/8.3

Based on 161 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

What is so great about the CX5? Everything!

By on Friday, April 03, 2015

Pros: "great gas mileage, lots of cargo space"

Cons: "smaller towing capacity"

"I am truly happy with the CX5. It does everything I need it to do. I love how it drives (drives like my Miata), rides, and looks. I have owned it for 1 1/2 years and expect to own it for a very long time. It has out performed the previous Escape by far. Here in Michigan during the winter months my CX5 goes when other non 4 wheel drive vehicles don't. I didn't buy it for the features but I love them. The backup camera is nice, the navigation is awesome, and the blind spot monitor is very nice. I don't use the city stop feature so I cannot comment on that. I have taken it down dirt/mud roads, loaded it with all my camping gear, towed kayaks and a canoe, and bikes, and taken it on road trips. Excellent gas mileage. The only issue I really had was that I could not get the roof top carrier bars to match the vehicle color but they match the interior so its ok."

Great Car & and outstanding value

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

"I researched small suv’s for about 18 months before I made a purchase. I wanted to wait until all the 2013 models were out before making my final decision. I had a laundry list of amenities and technology that the car I purchased had to have. I also had a budget and wanted to stay under $30,000 on the list price. One of my must have options was the blind spot warning system. Relatively few manufactures offer this on anything other than their luxury level cars. I’ve been driving a CRV for the last nine years. Honda makes a good vehicle so a new CRV was on my list of potential new cars along with the 2013 Ford Escape, Rav4, Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester. I also looked at KIA and Hyundai but they didn’t have all the options I wanted either I test drove all of them except the 2013 Rav4. The 2013 CRV didn’t offer the options I wanted and neither did the Subaru. The Escape had everything I wanted but listed for $33,000 and the RAV4 had a similar sticker price. The only car I found that offered all the options I wanted was the Mazda CX-5 and it listed for $27505.00 I have been very happy with my purchase. I’m averaging 29.2 MPG in town. I haven’t found anything about the car that I dislike. It’s a joy to drive, the seats are comfortable, it’s quiet, and the Boise sound system is terrific. I am confident that I made the right choice. The only hesitation I had in purchasing the Mazda was the 155 HP engine. I wanted a little more power than that, but the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem. Most of my driving is in town so I don’t have a pressing need for a bigger engine and the better MPG is an intelligent trade off as far as I’m concerned. Now that I’ve purchased the car I’ve driven it on the interstate and it more than holds its own getting up to speed on the entrance ramp. So, the smaller engine hasn’t proven to be a problem."

LOVE LOVE LOVE

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, sporty look, interior"

Cons: "none!"

"I was searching for a crossover.. coming from a Mazda 3I. I needed more space.. but didn't have the budget to afford a big SUV nor did I want the low gas mileage that the bigger SUVs offered. I looked at the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Hyundai SanteFe, Ford Explorer and the Kia Sorento. I wasn't crazy about any one them and found them to be mediocre. I didn't like that I had to buy 2-3 levels up either to get some of the options I wanted. I loved my Mazda 3 and never had any problems with it.. So I went to the Mazda dealership and test drove the 2013 CX-5. I fell in love with it immediately. It had all the features I wanted and were looking for and the gas mileage was simply unbeatable by any other manufacturer. I love the sporty look and the interior. I ended up purchasing the Touring with the Bose/sunroof package. I have never been happier with my decision and look forward to driving every day now. I would highly recommend test driving this car... I also plan on going back to purchase the Navi. Not sure why I turned it down originally but the price is decent, and I shall be going back shortly to get it installed."

JUST DRIVE ONE ALREADY

By on Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Pros: "radio bose, fun, quiet, everything really"

Cons: "nothing"

"Just drive one. I drove the Honda CRV both the wife and I felt like when you were driving it you shimmied in the seat. Soft suspension. Drove the Escape with 1.6l eco boost. was not impressed with drive and feel. I really think they missed the mark with the front end styling on the Escape. Then drove the mazda. comfortable, quiet, great handling and good looks. went back and drove the others the same day back to back. (the dealers were all within a 1/2 mile) just wanted to make sure. We went back and bought the Mazda cx-5 that day. Just drive one, you'll see."

The car does it all

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Pros: "Handles well in the curve"

Cons: "Motor a little noise"

"Bought the car two weeks ago and left on vacation. Did 2200 miles in eight days with 2 adults and 2 children. My wife and I are over 6 feet and the kids just behind, had plenty of room. This was one of the main reasons we bought the car. Blue tooth works great with all three phones and easy to setup. Everything is right there and easy to use. Love the blind spot indicators in side view mirrors. The CX-5 handles like a car and easy to drive. The motor is a little slow but likes to rev. On vacation got 32.6 mpg, averaged 56 mph. Driving 80mph and still was getting 30mpg. Love the CX-5."

So Far, So Good!

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "Value for the money, fun to drive, good mileage"

Cons: "Rearward visiblity"

"I knew I wanted to replace my 2011 Mini Cooper with an SUV. I did a lot of shopping/test driving of small SUVs, and eventually came to the conclusion that the CX-5 was the best value for the $$$. I bought a fully loaded AWD GT Tech package version. I bought the Mazda because it is not as common as the RAV4, CRV, Escape & Equinox. I felt that it handled better, looked better, and was overall more fun to drive. My mileage is spot on as to what the EPA estimates are. Also, the AWD system is top notch. It was put to good use over the tough winter of 2014."

Very good

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "Grips road great, nothing cheap, reliable so far"

Cons: "Not enough pickup (but great gas mileage makes up)"

"Have had this car for 7 months and glad to have purchased. Fun to drive, no problems so far! WILL UPDATE! Since 15,000 doesn't say much about reliability I will be checking back in!"

A jaded New Yorker is truly impressed

By on Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pros: "simple yet lux interior, fun to drive, steering"

Cons: "merging onto fast highways from standstill in nyc"

"At only 3 inches longer then our old and loved 2006 mazda3 We are amazed by the comfort and ride quality and fun of the cx-5. The road noise was always an issue for me with the 3 and I think if the road noise was a 7-8 out of 10 on the 3 this would be a 3-4. The shocks are firm but you don't feel jarred. the cx-5 corners beautifully. The electronics are very good. I am never super impressed by the bose car systems .. i give this a 7 or 8 out of 10 for sound but a 9 for ease of use. The seats are so comfy and the lumbar and adjustably in the grand touring is awesome. I love this car so much that I am writing a review. My only issue is the acceleration from 0-20 mph or so.. after 2 or 3rd gear it really torques nicely but from a standstill trying to merge onto a nasty nyc highway could use a bit more power.. but honestly everything else is just amazing. we hope to have this car a long time ( or at least till the diesel comes ) ;) thanks mazda for a winner . we love you!"

Drive it to believe it

By on Friday, April 06, 2012

Pros: "Incredibly awesome to drive"

Cons: "No light in glove box. No analog temp gauge"

"I started many months ago looking into a vehicle purchase. I wanted a vehicle that was a car like with good handling, four wheel drive, and storage capability. I did not want a station wagon. I believe the many smaller listed SUVs are really station wagons. I drove many of the highly reviewed mini SUVs. However, when driving these units they seemed truck like. I then test drove the Mazda CX-5. I was really blown away by the driving experience. Here was a SUV that handled like a sporty car. I was able to easily make turns and had a live feel I of the road. The appearance of the CX 5 is spot on with its definitive lines. I especially like how the rear looks with its integrated tail lights. The seats are really comfortable and provide excellent support. The Bose sound system really rocks with its surround sound technology. The 19 inch tires are another cool touch….look awesome. I simply say if you are in the market for a small SUV drive this puppy and you will not let it go. I bought this bad-boy and its been a heck of great ride so far. Mazda put a lot of thought into every part of this car and they looked at it from the driver’s view out and not the engineers view in. Drive safe out there"

Great all purpose vehicle and fun to drive

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage, reliability, looks"

Cons: "rear seat fold down issues, dust collecting dash"

"I purchased the 2014 touring model at the end of 2014. I drive about 40000 miles per year with most of the miles on the highway. I was considering the CRV and the Ford Escape. I ruled the Escape out when my neighbor told me about 3 long recalls he had. The CRV didn't have the pep or road handling of the CX5 but the back laid down better than the CX5. The gas mileage rating was slightly better than the others and with more power it seemed like a good deal for my long trips and drives in the mountains. Actual mileage is significantly affected by speed around 32 at 65, 30-31 at 70 and around 35 at 55mph. This is likely because of the relatively high profile(wind resistance). When I make many short trips with startups I get about 25mpg. Reliability is great, handling amazing for an SUV and economy very good. I carry a lot of camping gear and it has great cargo space. I like the dark windows in the rear. It cloaks the stuff in the back a bit. The blind spot monitor is great and I like the backup camera, though an backup proximity alarm would be good. I put a rubber mat in the back and really don't notice the road noise people mention. A couple minor items is the top of the dash seems to be a dust magnet and is hard to clean. The passing visibility is ok but could be better. The ride is a bit hard over bumps because of the relatively tight suspension. The back seat cannot fold down when the front seat is fully back and the rear headrests are on. I will look at similar cars in another 2 years but there is a high probability I will buy another CX5"