• 2014 Compact SUVs

2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,096 - $21,449.

10/8.3

Based on 99 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Zoom, Zoom, Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"I drive around 35k per year, all types of weather and this vehicle has been great so far. I’m coming from driving and f-150 for about 100k before the transmission went out, and before that came from a family that would only drive Honda and Acura. With that being said, this is the best car I’ve owned. I love the way it drives, especially with the electronic steering. My wife drives a new Honda Odyssey and I never realized how loose the steering was on the Honda until I went back and forth between the CX-5. Like I said, this is a great vehicle and when the lease is up on the Honda we are going to look at another Mazda."

Oh, the transmission

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Pros: "great interior, good sound system, gas mileage"

Cons: "ride, transmission, acceleration"

"If you do plan to purchase this car, I recommend going with a newer model (not the first couple production lines). I got this car BRAND new. There were few at the dealerships at the time. I LOVE the interior, and the overall design is nice for sure. However, this car is a slug on acceleration. Even getting onto a freeway on-ramp is quite challenging. Passing other cars? Forget it. Also, I've had some significant trouble with the transmission. Several months ago, I was going up a hill and some electronic controls took over. The car raced to 4000 rpm and wouldn't go faster than about 5 or 10 mph. I was on a fast-moving road, so cars behind me almost hit me. It was frightening for sure. Then, recently, the gear shifting started getting intermittently loud. I took the car in, and they cannot identify anything wrong. I've owned several cars in years past, so I know something is not right. Now, I get it. Not every car is representative of the whole fleet. But I do have to still express caution at all this."

Love it except for 1 thing......

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Fun, looks , gas mileage"

Cons: "Non-ethanol gas to run right."

"When I first saw it, I fell in love. I live where you have to have AWD or 4WD, so it was perfect. It handles and drives like the Mazda RX8 I had, which is so much fun. Now here's the 1 thing.....My husband always uses non-ethanol gas in his vehicle, so of course, we use it in mine. A couple of times I wasn't near a station that sold this type of fuel, so I just put in regular. At about 15,000 miles, the check engine light came on. We took it to the dealer and they had to call in a special "team" of people to try and figure out what was causing the light to stay on. What it all came down to, the couple of times I had used regular gas, caused the light to come on and stay on. The service manager told us to only use non-ethanol gas in it. Are you kidding me?? Those stations are far and few between where we live and besides that, it's about .20 cents higher per gallon. So, had I known that, I would not have bought this particular vehicle. I have read where a lot of people are experiencing stalls and sudden acceleration........I bet it's the fuel they are using. Anyway, other than that, I love the looks, it's fun to drive and gets great gas mileage."

Excellent Choice!

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Great Overall Handling, zippy power, fun to own"

Cons: "Awkward getting into armrest, small center console"

"Bought the car in late January (in the heart of the NE winter). Was looking for a fitting replacement for my 2008 Toyo Camry but with better gas mileage and better traction. Found it in my 2014 Touring model. Still too young to tell, but I am averaging 26-28 MPG combined (same as my Camry) but with AWD it is more than acceptable. Seating is very comfy. I have back problems and the lumbar support really helps and the seats make you sit up straight. I am 6'2" (but slender) and find it more than roomy enough in the front and back seats. It has been great so far in this winter that won't end... It has a great ride (great in the snow, too), sporty and receptive handling and is a real pleasure to drive. It has plenty of zip for me with the 2.5 liter. I work right off the highway and have to merge with traffic quickly - a breeze with this car. My friends also love the sporty looks as do I. Sitting higher up than in the Camry gives you better vision, as well as the use of the back-up camera, which has virtual lines to help you back into a parking space with ease. Center console is a little tight with not much storage space and it is a little awkward if you have to get something out of the armrest storage. LCD screen is a little small but the touch functions are receptive. Center dashboard vents are right under the LCD and I sometimes hit them when reaching for other things, have to constantly fix them. Other than those small items, I love it and would recommend it to others looking for great things in small packages."

Love my Mazda, I average 30 miles to the gallon

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Lots of extra, Bose"

"Very easy and fun to drive. I love my Mazda"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25