• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,121 - $21,504.

10/8.3

Based on 108 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Awesome Ride! Sweet Exterior! Fun to Drive!

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pros: "Priced right! Fun to drive! Plenty of room!"

Cons: "Took a lot of time for 1st to 2nd gear break-in."

"Purchased April 2012 the 2013 Model. I looked for 6 months before deciding on the Mazda CX5 and I'm glad I waited. Given that I keep my vehicles 12 or more years, I was pretty discerning in my selection. I was looking specifically for a manual transmission (hard to find these days) because they have fewer issues than manual transmissions overall(any maker). I'm not disappointed with Mazda. I traded a 2001 Toyota Corolla because I was looking for an SUV and this model fit the bill on every level. Gas mileage on my trip from CA to CO exceeded 35MPG even with the AC on in the middle of August. Around town and back and forth to work 22-25 MPG. Lots of compliments on the body design. Not the right fit for a growing family, but great for a family of 4. I've not experienced any paint pitting issues mentioned by some reviewers, but that might be a regional thing (snow/gravel/salt)."

I Still love my mazda cx5

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and fuel efficency"

Cons: "bit less power"

"its very practical car for your family or trip and its very very fuel efficency car that save alot of money on gas.next time i will buy new mazda 6 or 3 for sure."

Great vehicle. Very pleased.

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Value, ride, look and feel, safety features"

"Looked at many SUV's. Really like RDX, but in the end bought the CX-5. FWD, Grand Touring model is a great vehicle. Solid feel, handles well, good gas mileage ( about 28 mpg), many nice features. I have owned Mazda's previously and they are very dependable. Overall just feel like I got a really nice vehicle for my money. Nice car inside and out!"

Great car-chassis suv/crossover

By on Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage, good design"

Cons: "not much pep in first gear"

"This car has been great for us this past year. The 3 way split backseat is handy, dash and steering wheel controls are nicely designed. The alt input, usb plugs and bluetooth were updgrades from my old truck. It is slow to cross roads from stop so don't pop in front of traffic, and it's a bit noisy on the highway. I'm sure to keep it light they put less insulation. But we picked it for mileage first, looks great, and does what we bought it to do. Baby seats fit, but sometimes we had to adjust the front seats forward a bit where we wouldn't otherwise. Might need a larger car later, but it's perfect for us now."

Great all purpose vehicle and fun to drive

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Handling, gas mileage, reliability, looks"

Cons: "rear seat fold down issues, dust collecting dash"

"I purchased the 2014 touring model at the end of 2014. I drive about 40000 miles per year with most of the miles on the highway. I was considering the CRV and the Ford Escape. I ruled the Escape out when my neighbor told me about 3 long recalls he had. The CRV didn't have the pep or road handling of the CX5 but the back laid down better than the CX5. The gas mileage rating was slightly better than the others and with more power it seemed like a good deal for my long trips and drives in the mountains. Actual mileage is significantly affected by speed around 32 at 65, 30-31 at 70 and around 35 at 55mph. This is likely because of the relatively high profile(wind resistance). When I make many short trips with startups I get about 25mpg. Reliability is great, handling amazing for an SUV and economy very good. I carry a lot of camping gear and it has great cargo space. I like the dark windows in the rear. It cloaks the stuff in the back a bit. The blind spot monitor is great and I like the backup camera, though an backup proximity alarm would be good. I put a rubber mat in the back and really don't notice the road noise people mention. A couple minor items is the top of the dash seems to be a dust magnet and is hard to clean. The passing visibility is ok but could be better. The ride is a bit hard over bumps because of the relatively tight suspension. The back seat cannot fold down when the front seat is fully back and the rear headrests are on. I will look at similar cars in another 2 years but there is a high probability I will buy another CX5"