2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $19,874 - $20,450.

10/8.4

Based on 101 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Super Fun Daily Driver!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Good Value and Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Lack-luster and impersonal interior design"

"This is a great car to drive! It's quick to pick-up speed when you need it to. The steering is right-on and the handling is quite nimble - you almost forget that you're not driving a coupe/sedan. It does not drive like an SUV/CUV at all. Freeway driving is smooth. This car will make you want to drive more. Fuel efficiency is close to advertised numbers - but, keep in mind that I am reviewing the GT AWD trim. Still, I feel 29-30mpg is quite acceptable for the size of the car. Another nice feature is that it takes normal 87 octane gasoline; no need to break the bank just for a Sunday afternoon cruise. I did not purchase the "Technology Package" as the features didn't really align with my priorities and lifestyle. Still, the GT comes packed with standard tech features like: Blind Spot monitoring, HD & Satellite (SIRIUS) radio, Bose speakers throughout, multi-position moonroof, cruise control, Tire Pressure Monitoring and rear back-up camera to name a few. For me, this is "enough-tech". For a smallish family, this is the perfect sized car. I manged to fit 2 adults, 2 children with booster seats, a medium dog kennel and some travel bags comfortably. On another trip, I packed in 4 adults comfortably - with 2 bigger guys in the back seat (one guy is 6'6") without complaints of head or leg space. Multiple snowboards traveled inside the vehicle thanks to the 40/20/40 seat folding positions. As much as I love my new car, there are a few things that I've been reluctant to pick-out as inconveniences, design flaws or frustrations. The first being the flimsy moonroof shade. It feels thin and does little to dampen the road noise when closed. Another thing that bugs me is the aesthetics (or lack there) of the instrument panel. This could be just my tastes and opinions, but I feel it's very plain and lacks integration. I've seen better displays on base model Nissan Altima's. Keeping with nit-picking on aesthetics, I wished Mazda had been just as bold with their interior designs as they did with their exterior. The whole center area is very minimal and sorry to say, boring. The orange-y LED and back lighting make the instruments panel feel dated and almost out of place. Lastly, I would like to complain about the shortness of the center console. It is short and length, height and depth. I find myself having to lean in toward the center to make use of the center console. My wife who is about 5 inches shorter also has the same complaint. Although, it is deep and houses the USB and AUX ports, I just wished it was a tad higher and wee bit longer. With that being said, I am extremely happy with my purchase. The vehicle is perfect the lifestyle and family size that I have. The car looks great, is fun to drive and has everything that I need for a great driving experience. My advice would be, if you can afford it - spring for the Grand Touring trim, it's worth the price and you get more value for your money! Zoom - Zoom!"

This car makes driving fun again!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Good value, fuel efficient, roomy, nimble driving"

Cons: "Mainly lack-luster and impersonal interior design"

Zoom, Zoom, Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"I drive around 35k per year, all types of weather and this vehicle has been great so far. I’m coming from driving and f-150 for about 100k before the transmission went out, and before that came from a family that would only drive Honda and Acura. With that being said, this is the best car I’ve owned. I love the way it drives, especially with the electronic steering. My wife drives a new Honda Odyssey and I never realized how loose the steering was on the Honda until I went back and forth between the CX-5. Like I said, this is a great vehicle and when the lease is up on the Honda we are going to look at another Mazda."

Oh, the transmission

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Pros: "great interior, good sound system, gas mileage"

Cons: "ride, transmission, acceleration"

"If you do plan to purchase this car, I recommend going with a newer model (not the first couple production lines). I got this car BRAND new. There were few at the dealerships at the time. I LOVE the interior, and the overall design is nice for sure. However, this car is a slug on acceleration. Even getting onto a freeway on-ramp is quite challenging. Passing other cars? Forget it. Also, I've had some significant trouble with the transmission. Several months ago, I was going up a hill and some electronic controls took over. The car raced to 4000 rpm and wouldn't go faster than about 5 or 10 mph. I was on a fast-moving road, so cars behind me almost hit me. It was frightening for sure. Then, recently, the gear shifting started getting intermittently loud. I took the car in, and they cannot identify anything wrong. I've owned several cars in years past, so I know something is not right. Now, I get it. Not every car is representative of the whole fleet. But I do have to still express caution at all this."

Love it except for 1 thing......

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Fun, looks , gas mileage"

Cons: "Non-ethanol gas to run right."

"When I first saw it, I fell in love. I live where you have to have AWD or 4WD, so it was perfect. It handles and drives like the Mazda RX8 I had, which is so much fun. Now here's the 1 thing.....My husband always uses non-ethanol gas in his vehicle, so of course, we use it in mine. A couple of times I wasn't near a station that sold this type of fuel, so I just put in regular. At about 15,000 miles, the check engine light came on. We took it to the dealer and they had to call in a special "team" of people to try and figure out what was causing the light to stay on. What it all came down to, the couple of times I had used regular gas, caused the light to come on and stay on. The service manager told us to only use non-ethanol gas in it. Are you kidding me?? Those stations are far and few between where we live and besides that, it's about .20 cents higher per gallon. So, had I known that, I would not have bought this particular vehicle. I have read where a lot of people are experiencing stalls and sudden acceleration........I bet it's the fuel they are using. Anyway, other than that, I love the looks, it's fun to drive and gets great gas mileage."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25