• 2014 Compact SUVs

2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,151 - $21,764.

10/8.4

Based on 102 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

GREAT SMALL SUV

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Interior, engine, ride, style, value, controls"

"I bought our CX-5 couple weeks ago love this SUV it has everything what you need for a small family SUV. Love it so much with three children and 2 dogs everybody be comfortable riding on the trip in CX-5. Its got rain sensor wipers, navigation in TOMTOM, iPod interface, blue tooth, Pandora radio capability, rearview monitor camera, infotainment center which love how shows me when album is playing with the picture showing one side and other shows artist and title of person singing song listen to. The heated seats are best in great seat cushion love the design in them looks more sportier the way they were factory built. CX-5 handles excellent I give this SUV a 5* star rating on being more safety for our family and having so much features in its class. Drive to it is very responsive and its quiet even has an 4 cylinder 2.5 skyactiv engine love how have best performance not lousy as some vehicles would be. Before making a purchase with our Mazda CX-5 did my homework on smaller SUVs in better values and features looked at RAV4, CR-V, Forester and CX-5 I decided to buy a Mazda over the competitors because have a better value and drove the best with having plenty of power after looking and test driving others I did my homework on they were great crossovers but just didn't give me a more responsive ride and handling like the CX-5. We still own a 2000 Grand Cherokee with no issues but found the CX-5 rides better and have bit more features than ever. We love Mazda products."

Super Fun Daily Driver!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Good Value and Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Lack-luster and impersonal interior design"

"This is a great car to drive! It's quick to pick-up speed when you need it to. The steering is right-on and the handling is quite nimble - you almost forget that you're not driving a coupe/sedan. It does not drive like an SUV/CUV at all. Freeway driving is smooth. This car will make you want to drive more. Fuel efficiency is close to advertised numbers - but, keep in mind that I am reviewing the GT AWD trim. Still, I feel 29-30mpg is quite acceptable for the size of the car. Another nice feature is that it takes normal 87 octane gasoline; no need to break the bank just for a Sunday afternoon cruise. I did not purchase the "Technology Package" as the features didn't really align with my priorities and lifestyle. Still, the GT comes packed with standard tech features like: Blind Spot monitoring, HD & Satellite (SIRIUS) radio, Bose speakers throughout, multi-position moonroof, cruise control, Tire Pressure Monitoring and rear back-up camera to name a few. For me, this is "enough-tech". For a smallish family, this is the perfect sized car. I manged to fit 2 adults, 2 children with booster seats, a medium dog kennel and some travel bags comfortably. On another trip, I packed in 4 adults comfortably - with 2 bigger guys in the back seat (one guy is 6'6") without complaints of head or leg space. Multiple snowboards traveled inside the vehicle thanks to the 40/20/40 seat folding positions. As much as I love my new car, there are a few things that I've been reluctant to pick-out as inconveniences, design flaws or frustrations. The first being the flimsy moonroof shade. It feels thin and does little to dampen the road noise when closed. Another thing that bugs me is the aesthetics (or lack there) of the instrument panel. This could be just my tastes and opinions, but I feel it's very plain and lacks integration. I've seen better displays on base model Nissan Altima's. Keeping with nit-picking on aesthetics, I wished Mazda had been just as bold with their interior designs as they did with their exterior. The whole center area is very minimal and sorry to say, boring. The orange-y LED and back lighting make the instruments panel feel dated and almost out of place. Lastly, I would like to complain about the shortness of the center console. It is short and length, height and depth. I find myself having to lean in toward the center to make use of the center console. My wife who is about 5 inches shorter also has the same complaint. Although, it is deep and houses the USB and AUX ports, I just wished it was a tad higher and wee bit longer. With that being said, I am extremely happy with my purchase. The vehicle is perfect the lifestyle and family size that I have. The car looks great, is fun to drive and has everything that I need for a great driving experience. My advice would be, if you can afford it - spring for the Grand Touring trim, it's worth the price and you get more value for your money! Zoom - Zoom!"

This car makes driving fun again!

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "Good value, fuel efficient, roomy, nimble driving"

Cons: "Mainly lack-luster and impersonal interior design"

Zoom, Zoom, Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"I drive around 35k per year, all types of weather and this vehicle has been great so far. I’m coming from driving and f-150 for about 100k before the transmission went out, and before that came from a family that would only drive Honda and Acura. With that being said, this is the best car I’ve owned. I love the way it drives, especially with the electronic steering. My wife drives a new Honda Odyssey and I never realized how loose the steering was on the Honda until I went back and forth between the CX-5. Like I said, this is a great vehicle and when the lease is up on the Honda we are going to look at another Mazda."

Oh, the transmission

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Pros: "great interior, good sound system, gas mileage"

Cons: "ride, transmission, acceleration"

"If you do plan to purchase this car, I recommend going with a newer model (not the first couple production lines). I got this car BRAND new. There were few at the dealerships at the time. I LOVE the interior, and the overall design is nice for sure. However, this car is a slug on acceleration. Even getting onto a freeway on-ramp is quite challenging. Passing other cars? Forget it. Also, I've had some significant trouble with the transmission. Several months ago, I was going up a hill and some electronic controls took over. The car raced to 4000 rpm and wouldn't go faster than about 5 or 10 mph. I was on a fast-moving road, so cars behind me almost hit me. It was frightening for sure. Then, recently, the gear shifting started getting intermittently loud. I took the car in, and they cannot identify anything wrong. I've owned several cars in years past, so I know something is not right. Now, I get it. Not every car is representative of the whole fleet. But I do have to still express caution at all this."

Love it except for 1 thing......

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Fun, looks , gas mileage"

Cons: "Non-ethanol gas to run right."

"When I first saw it, I fell in love. I live where you have to have AWD or 4WD, so it was perfect. It handles and drives like the Mazda RX8 I had, which is so much fun. Now here's the 1 thing.....My husband always uses non-ethanol gas in his vehicle, so of course, we use it in mine. A couple of times I wasn't near a station that sold this type of fuel, so I just put in regular. At about 15,000 miles, the check engine light came on. We took it to the dealer and they had to call in a special "team" of people to try and figure out what was causing the light to stay on. What it all came down to, the couple of times I had used regular gas, caused the light to come on and stay on. The service manager told us to only use non-ethanol gas in it. Are you kidding me?? Those stations are far and few between where we live and besides that, it's about .20 cents higher per gallon. So, had I known that, I would not have bought this particular vehicle. I have read where a lot of people are experiencing stalls and sudden acceleration........I bet it's the fuel they are using. Anyway, other than that, I love the looks, it's fun to drive and gets great gas mileage."

Excellent Choice!

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Great Overall Handling, zippy power, fun to own"

Cons: "Awkward getting into armrest, small center console"

"Bought the car in late January (in the heart of the NE winter). Was looking for a fitting replacement for my 2008 Toyo Camry but with better gas mileage and better traction. Found it in my 2014 Touring model. Still too young to tell, but I am averaging 26-28 MPG combined (same as my Camry) but with AWD it is more than acceptable. Seating is very comfy. I have back problems and the lumbar support really helps and the seats make you sit up straight. I am 6'2" (but slender) and find it more than roomy enough in the front and back seats. It has been great so far in this winter that won't end... It has a great ride (great in the snow, too), sporty and receptive handling and is a real pleasure to drive. It has plenty of zip for me with the 2.5 liter. I work right off the highway and have to merge with traffic quickly - a breeze with this car. My friends also love the sporty looks as do I. Sitting higher up than in the Camry gives you better vision, as well as the use of the back-up camera, which has virtual lines to help you back into a parking space with ease. Center console is a little tight with not much storage space and it is a little awkward if you have to get something out of the armrest storage. LCD screen is a little small but the touch functions are receptive. Center dashboard vents are right under the LCD and I sometimes hit them when reaching for other things, have to constantly fix them. Other than those small items, I love it and would recommend it to others looking for great things in small packages."

Love my Mazda, I average 30 miles to the gallon

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Lots of extra, Bose"

"Very easy and fun to drive. I love my Mazda"

Very Happy So Far

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Cons: "small moon roof, no compass"

"Just purchased the 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring with AWD and after 4 days with it, I have to say I'm very impressed. I traded in a 2012 Kia Sportage EX for the CX-5 and feature wise, the two are very comprable. I liked the Nav in the Kia better than the CX-5 but not a big deal. I wish the CX-5 had a larger moon roof but again, not a deal breaker. Things I like a lot are the headlights, really bright and definitely help with night driving. Seats are very comfy and steering/maneuverabilty are a dream! I also notice the CX-5 is a quieter, smoother ride than the Kia. Still on the fence with the gas mileage because the car is so new but can already see the average MPG is better than my Kia was getting. I do a fair balance of city and highway driving daily and right now I'm showing an average of 22.5 MPG in the CX-5. My Kia was getting 19-20 average MPG. I expect the average in the Mazda to improve as the engine gets broken in. The exterior of the CX-5 is very sporty looking to me and very similar to the Kia Sportage in looks. The CX-5 has a much larger back storage area which I like a lot. I have some very minor issues with the CX-5 but I had some with the Kia too. None of them are worthy of giving the CX-5 a low rating though. This is a stylish, full feature, fun to drive car and I'm very glad I traded the Kia Sportage for the Mazda CX-5."

Great suspension, terrible blind spots

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Suspension, Looks"

Cons: "Blind spots, Bose Stereo, Navigation, Trunk light"

"We have had the car for a year now so I feel I am at a good point to write a review. On the plus side no issues with it, it looks great and it has the best suspension of any car I have driven. Onto the negatives...the biggest issue is the blind spots. This car is about 180 inches long, it should have no blind spots. I have owned 2 sedans both of which were a foot longer and they did not have blind spots. We have the blind spot system, but I am still not comfortable driving the car. We have the 2.5L engine and I still find it to be underpowered. Navigation is slow and unresponsive, and Bose system is a total joke,it sounds no better than the regular stereo in our other car. I have no doubt we will be selling it in a few years."

Great Looks, Great Handling, Good MPG's, Low Power

By on Friday, February 28, 2014

Pros: "Great Handling and features"

Cons: "Engine power. Could use another 30 HP."

"Good transition for a growing family"

Great car, value, gas mileage and fun to drive

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and sharp looking car"

Cons: "The 2.0 engine does not have zoom zoom hoped for"

"I was one of the first to buy this Grand Touring and had been waiting for it and we have liked it very much. I do mostly city driving where we have stop lights every mile so we only get about 21 mpg, which is good but less than expected. We got 30 to 32 mpg on the couple of longer trips we took with the car loaded. I know if we had regular city driving it would be more about 24 mpg. One thing I would have changed is to get the bigger engine. The 2.0 that came with the first cars is underpowered almost dangerous when pulling out into traffic, especially with 4 or 5 people inside. The zoom zoom is not there. I would buy it again but with the bigger engine. It is roomy for what we need and have gotten used to the side view mirror telling us if there is a car next to us. Have had no problems in the 2 years and 26,500 miles and only complaint is the underpowered engine."

Great crossover

By on Friday, February 07, 2014

"Great crossover. Only thing i would have liked more was maybe a bit more power. The comforts inside the car are good to. Could have made the bluetooth a bit easier to connect during set up. The wheel wells kinda freaked me out seeing as how they seemed like carpet. Gets pretty millage although could always be better."

Almost Perfect

By on Friday, February 07, 2014

Pros: "great overall car"

Cons: "no lights in glove box or trunk"

"I've had this car for about a year now and I still love it. The only real complaints I can think of is that there is no light in the glove box, so if you open it at night, forget about it, you can't see anything. Same with the trunk...no light back there either, so same problem when it's dark, you can't see. Those are enough of an annoyance that I can't give the car a 10, but after a year I have zero problems with the car and still love it!"

Awesome

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive!!! Zoom zoom!"

Cons: "Does not sit up as high as previous SUV I owned."

"CX-5 is very peppy and fun to drive. Back up camera provides wider view of rear objects that others I've seen. Love it!!!"

gas milage not even close to projected

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

"I got the 2014 Mazda CX-5 grand touring with the tech package.They say the gas mileage is 26-35, but in reality I get about 21-22 mpg which is pretty disappointing. I have skidded a couple times in this car but I don't have all wheel drive I have front wheel. I would definetly say the tech package is worth it. The headlights are really good and the automatic breaks in traffic is a total lifesaver. Love it. The bluetooth though isn't awesome. I have the Iphone 5s and the car can't get my text messages and bluetooth messes up way too often. Also the car has come apart a little on the inside which isn't good since I have only had it for 7 months. I live in austin but drove up to san antonio to get my car because it was 80$ cheaper a month. Crazy! I love how this car has get up and go! Looking back though, I don't think I would have went with this car if I knew everything I did now. For the price though it is probably one of the best in its class."

Really love it!

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, nice car for the money"

Cons: "not much cup holder space in front"

"I have owned this car for a year now. I absolutely love it!!! It handles great, has really good gas mileage and is a lot of fun to drive. It has plenty of space for myself and my family. I would highly recommend the larger engine as it seems to have a lot more pick up."

So happy with my choice

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "Everything about this vehicle"

Cons: "That I did not purchase a Mazda earlier"

"Living in the metro Detroit area you drive a car from the big three. Well, sure am glad that I opened my eyes and took a look around for a change. This SUV is really fun, sporty and way beyond my expectations. I look back at the many vehicles I have purchased in the past and I think " boring, excessive maintenance etc." This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned."

Deal breaker

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

I want this car

Pros: "responsive drive experience, lane change audible b"

Cons: "useless back up camera"

"I read reviews on line and was excited to test drive the Mazda CX5 touring model. Handled great on Connecticut pot holed roads and the highway. Peppy. Loved the blind spot warning beeps and flashing dash lights. Small turning radius. But, my heart sank when in an empty parking lot I tried using the back up camera. I have 20/20 vision with glasses. the image on the screen was murky. We tried to adjust contrast and color. The sales person admitted she could not discern what was behind us. We own a Honda 2013 Accord. The back up camera image is crystal clear. I will test the Honda CRV to see if it's back up camera is more effective. Shame, I was so impressed by the Mazda's drive experience. If the back up camera was adequate I would have put a deposit today. After some tough negotiations."

So far a joy to drive the Grand Touring

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "Great ride; feels solid and luxe for the price"

Cons: "radio control touchscreen is os so; trunk access"

"We have had ours for 3 weeks now - handles great in the busy city, on a highway with steep hills, and especially nice on some winding country roads I got to drive. On steep highway hills, performed very well for teh most part, especially in cruise control...occasional downshifts around 70-75 mph, but basically rock solid. Heavily loaded down, AWD running about 70-75 mph average 25mpg on hilly highway drive. Fun to drive on curvy West Virginia roads. AWD handled well in slick and steep conditions. Comfortable 5-hour drive as passenger and driver. Blind spot warnign system is really excellent luxe feature, al;eady miss it in my other car. Cargo space is decent...trunk access button seems to be limited to the key fob? Not a huge fan of push button start gimmick, takes some getting used to. Loading trunk in heavy rain, considerable water ran off the car onto me and the trunk when I opened the hatch. Potential buyers should note that if you are interested in the Touring trim and want to add the bose/moonroof package and tech options, it pays to look into the Grand Touring as well - the prices become comparable trading a few options (nav, xenon, brake system) in the touring for others (leather, satellite radio, etc) in the grand touring. Overall really enjoying driving this."

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "great for the price and rides good"

Cons: "A/C controls are poor"

"Great car only negative is the A/C is manual and difficult to maintain a comfortable temp. other than that it is wonderful on gas and ride is good. the collision avoidance mirrors are great."

Very comfortablen and fun to drive

By on Monday, December 23, 2013

"Read many reviews and looked at a number of vehicles. Was torn between another sedan and an SUV. Wanted the storage space of SUV and sitting higher. Appearance is great. Like the styling of the front end, wheels, and rear is ok. Interior is very nice. Dashboard is well laid out with controls located conveniently. Dashboard material is plush and appointments are nice. Even like the cloth seats which in most vehicles I don't like. Rear seat is smaller than some but I knew that up front. Would be ideal to have a bit more leg room in back. Front seat comfort, leg roon, and height is great. Transmission shifts very smooth. Acceleration is great; even in hilly areas. Cruise control is smooth. Wish it had automatic headlights. Radio controls and bluetooth works well. Music streams wirelessly. HD radio sound is noticeably better than standard radio. The speakers don't seem to have as much high end clarity as I would have expected but are suitable. Seating position is great. Higher than a sedan but lower than a large truck. Getting in and out of the vehicle is easy. I compared to a Toyota Tundra and getting in and out was a chore. MPG avearage is 29.5. I traded a G35 for this vehicle and was concerned I was stepping down. No worries; it is very comfortable and fun to drive and I do not notice any loss of acceleration. Would definitely buy again."

Car and Driver operating as one unit

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Handling, Smooth shift, great takeoff, comfort."

Cons: "no all around camera"

"This SUV/CUV feels amazing in the handling. In the business I am in I can drive whatever I want, And the way this SUV handles and accelerates is nothing shy of AMAZING! I couldnt believe this was a 4 cylinder.. upon some research I found that SKYACTIV engines are the secret to this unique performance. the car apparently runs at a 13:1 combustion ration which is the same ratio as a race car, no honda or toyota comes anywhere close. As kids we used to put headers on our cars and alter the engine to make them faster, NO need here because it already has one.. I am in sheer amazement at how this car drives and handles. CRV was nice but I will not be going back to the CRV with its confused feeling CVT transmission."

Worst mistake ever

By on Monday, November 25, 2013

Pros: "looked good at first"

Cons: "Paint. Power. Fuel efficiency. Worst service."

"I have 9000 miles on it. Can't get MPG any higher than 25 - on interstate driving with cruise control. Floor panel on center console keeps falling out. Heater doesn't warm the car well even after 20 minutes. The front fascia, bumper, and forward hood are riddled with white pock marks (over dark blue paint). The paint is so thin that my fingernails scratch it. The dealer won't stand behind the paint, Mazda Customer service closed my complaint after altering the facts. The service manager accused me of sandblasting the paint by "following construction vehicles." It looks like sandpaper on the front end and not a year old. FORGET MAZDA. I'll take my Jeep or Honda again any day."

Have been very pleased so far with our CX 5 GT

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Gas Mileage Head turing good looks fun to drive"

Cons: "Bigger map pockets Wind noise"

"Our LZZ "Little Zoom Zoom" has been a joy to own and drive. Great gas mileage very spirited performance and handeling. Yes the ride is a little jumpy at times,the map pockets are a little small. I suspect Mazda will take many of these suggestions from owners and make some changes on future models....Dear Mazda: Paddle shifters would be fun!!! We love our "LZZ""

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25